The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

+37
HammerofThunor
flyhalffactory
Taffineastbourne
doctor_grey
TycroesOsprey
littlejohn
Standulstermen
Shifty
Cymroglan
Feckless Rogue
D24tress
Sin é
ME-109
Ferris+O'Brien+Heaslip
MunsterMac
Eclipse
BlueNote
Comfort
westisbest
Ozzy3213
andy powells minder
Rava
Mickado
Cari
Luckless Pedestrian
caoimhincentre
rodders
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
dummy_switch_pop
mystiroakey
Thomond
Glas a du
RubyGuby
Artful_Dodger
majesticimperialman
Biltong
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who will win

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis Vote_lcap37%Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 26 ]
Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis Vote_lcap63%Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 44 ]

Total Votes : 70

Poll closed

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis Empty Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Well played Ireland...!

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:20 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : UPdating)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis Empty Re: Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by Biltong Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Methinks Ireland will take it in a closely contested match, less than a score.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis Empty Re: Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 pm

So do most people Bill... That would position Ireland on a par with SA, which is pretty much reflected in the Odds...

I think Wales have more in the tank than they have shown so far. This is going to be an absolute cracker of a game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:52 pm

Both of these teams are on cracking form in this world cup, so it is a SHAME that one of them will lose...I think Ireland will win, but if Wales get off to a good start go x amount of points infront at half time, It could just go Wales way.

It will be a cracker of a game thats for sure.

And may the best team win. Who ever it is.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:14 pm

It is a shame that any team has to go home after this weekend, but unfortunately that is the reality of knock out rugby, both teams are playing very good rugby and for me the difference is the top two inches, Ireland in my opinion have the advantage there, purely because their collective player group has had more success in knock out tournaments.

But that still doesn't mean Wales can't pull of a win. The big question which will only be answered on Saturday is how big is their belief.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Where is Andrew Trimble?

You have 29 players for Ireland.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Trimble out to cut North down to size
(Rugby News Service) Tuesday 4 October 2011

Andrew Trimble scored a try in Ireland's 62-12 victory over Russia
WELLINGTON, 4 Oct. - Wales wing George North has earned plaudits for a try-scoring prowess that belies his youth but one of his self-confessed fans will be attempting to put a dent in his reputation on Saturday.

Andrew Trimble may wear the colours of Ireland but sounded more like a committed Welsh fan when asked what he thought of 19-year-old rookie North.

"The problem with George North is he's big and fast and he's got good feet,” Trimble said.

“I'm struggling to find any side of his play that's not going to be of a high standard."

Utility back Trimble has had to satisfy himself with a place on the bench in recent times but is hoping to get a shot at bringing 192cm North down to size when Ireland meet Wales in their quarter-final.

"When you face a big guy you've just got to throw yourself into it and see what happens,” the 26-year-old said ahead of the match at at Wellington Regional Stadium.
Mental strength
Despite his intention to dominate the rookie wing, who famously scored two tries against South Africa on his international debut last year, Trimble admitted he wanted to emulate the confidence with which North plays the game.

"He has a confidence about him that typifies Wales, which is something I admire quite a lot. I see it in a few other players and it's something I'd like to develop in myself a little bit,” he said.

“If you think you’re going to beat the man standing in front of you, you’re more likely to beat him.

“I admire that mental toughness, that ability to rate yourself highly and know that you’re going to be able to accomplish whatever you want to do.”

Trimble said a lack of confidence was one of the reasons that he has struggled to play consistent Test Rugby for Ireland since his debut in 2005.
Corner turned
“I struggled with confidence in the past, to feel confident when I wasn’t playing well,” he said.
“Then if you’re not getting that time on the pitch your confidence drops even more and it gets worse.”

Despite past struggles with self-assurance, Trimble believes he has turned the corner and is in sufficient form to force his way back into Ireland's starting XV.

North has notched up three tries at Rugby World Cup 2011 but Trimble has plans, should he get the opportunity, to stop the tally there with nothing more than solid tackling technique.

“You need to stay on your feet and get your body position right,” he said. “Once you’ve got those elements in place you’re most of the way there.”

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:51 pm

“You need to stay on your feet and get your body position right,” he said. “Once you’ve got those elements in place George is under the posts and Priestland is taking the conversion.” thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:04 pm

From the Guardian

Which leaves Wales v Ireland in Wellington. What a story it would be if one of those two sides were to make it all the way to the final for the first time. Wales have looked as impressively focused at this tournament as they have done in years, modern grand slam campaigns included. Ireland had an edge about them in the second half against Italy which strongly suggests they will not be knocked over without a huge struggle.

It is some prospect, for patriots and neutrals alike. The swelling emotion of the Welsh anthem, the mad-for-it Irish support, Paul O'Connell's face whenever he is addressing his fellow forwards … regardless of the quality of the contest, it is bound to be a memorable occasion. With the greatest of respect to the southern rhythm kings, this weekend is set to be dominated by northern soul.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:08 pm

From Tommy Bowe, interviewed by Andy Howell for the Western Mail

“We’ve been very happy with how the last four games have gone," said the 27-year-old Ospreys star at the Irish team hotel in the New Zealand capital.

“But we know how well Wales are playing at the minute - they’re definitely one of the form teams.

“It is going to be a difficult match but it is going to be a chance to create history for Ireland.

“There is a huge amount of self-belief in the team. We’ve a great blend of youth and experience and a lot the players are well used to winning cup competitions."

“This team is in a strong a position as we’ve ever been in. We have some world-class players within the squad.

"In the past we’ve always been very strong going into the World Cup but have failed playing against the top teams in the world.

“This year, we’ve beaten Australia and Italy and we’ve got a lot of confidence. We’re looking forward to this weekend.”

"The medical team has worked hard with Rory over the last 24 hours and he's reacted well to it and we're very pleased with the response. He's not totally ruled out," maintained Ireland kicking coach Mark Tainton, the former Bristol outside-half.

But he admitted: "His chances at the moment, they're long. He's doubtful for this weekend but he's not ruled out of the competition."

"Obviously it's a different level here at the World Cup but I've done it before."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/10/04/tommy-bowe-wales-are-bang-in-form-but-we-re-ready-to-make-history-91466-29532723/#ixzz1ZqyL5e00

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:07 am

Jennings is set to start.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:49 am

Glas,we don't need him and the team is named. We had a plant to blast Pocock out of it. We'll do the same to " Bread of Seven"

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:50 am

That's bordering on being arrogant Thomond.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:54 am

Not really,it's what we planned to do to a similar player, so I imagine we're going to do the same.

I'm not arrogant, I just got swagger baby!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:57 am

definition of swagger:

Walk or behave in a very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive way laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:59 am

There's a difference between typing something arrogant and behaving in an arrogant way. Wink Who says I'm sitting here acting arrogant?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 am

I didn't say you were, I said you were bordering on.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 am

Well it depends how sensitive the other person is. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 am

Thomond wrote:There's a difference between typing something arrogant and behaving in an arrogant way. Wink Who says I'm sitting here acting arrogant?

you have lost me there pal. behaving doesnt have any strict guidlines

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 am

Was that a jibe at...moi?

Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_switch_pop Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 am

back to rugby then..with justification, what does everyone think will happen on Saturday?

Being a Welsh fan my main fear coming from Ireland is the ball carying ability of their backrow, however take some comfort in the fact that our defence is one of the best in the tournament. I also feel we have the edge in the breakdown, Sean O'Brian has a lot of plaudits down in NZ, the amount of ball he carries for an open side is phenomenal. But Sam Warbuton does things more required of a number 7, namely winning ball on the floor ad putting in tackles that wrap up the opposition, slowing the ball down, he is more in the McCaw mold, Dan Lydiatte's hidden work ratio is also fantastic.

There is no doubt that there are tries in both backlines, as with all tight games however I feel control will go to the team that win the breakdown. And if thats a tie, it will go down to a kicking contest between Ronnan O'Gara and his twin Rhys Priestland.

Wales by +5

dummy_switch_pop

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:03 am

Oh well at leats the Welsh will have an excuse for going out, I mean who the hell expects them to get up at 6am to play ? Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:06 am

Thomond wrote:Glas,we don't need him and the team is named. We had a plant to blast Pocock out of it. We'll do the same to " Bread of Seven"

Thats just arrogant Thomond. As if Pocock and Warburton could be stopped by a plant.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 am

Ireland to win.

Reasons:

Irelands back row. Warburton is a fantastic player but the rest of the Welsh back row are not up to the standard of the irish back row. To compare them to the likes of Heaslip, O'Brien and Ferris is just laughable.

Irish Defence:

Welsh supporters are talking up their defence but seem to ignore the fact that Ireland have a superb defence also. i may be wrong but i think it has the best record in the tournament so far.

Leadership:

Ireland has leadership in numerious positions. Who are the leaders for Wales??? Warburtan... any others.

Lineouts.

Expect ireland to put huge pressure on .huw bennett.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:10 am

caoimhincentre wrote:Warburton is a fantastic player but the rest of the Welsh back row are not up to the standard of the irish back row. To compare them to the likes of Heaslip, O'Brien and Ferris is just laughable.

Look up 'hubris' if you've got the time.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:10 am

It will be tight and as you mentioned the carrying of this Irish back row is superb.

Wales did very well absorbing pressure against Samoa and SA, with patience and confidence. They will need to step it up to a new level for the knock out stages.

I hope this doesnt turn in to a kicking contest between Priestland and O'Gara. ROG has far more composure.

Halfpenny could be a kicking weapon too, with his accurate long range boot. Puts pressure on Ireland to not concede penalties even in their half.

I dont think there is that much between these teams. But the bish bash bosh of Irish rugby is certainly getting the media and fans excited.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
caoimhincentre wrote:Warburton is a fantastic player but the rest of the Welsh back row are not up to the standard of the irish back row. To compare them to the likes of Heaslip, O'Brien and Ferris is just laughable.

Sums up the welsh support on these pages

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:17 am

caoimhincentre wrote:Ireland to win.
To compare them to the likes of Heaslip, O'Brien and Ferris is just laughable.

I didnt know Heaslip was at the RWC he has been so anonymous.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:17 am

So that's your justification, Caoimhincentre? You're dismissing the merits of the opposition just because others are doing it?

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 am

2/3 rds of that "world class" back row played in Cardiff this year against a rubbish welsh back row and were non-existant - Maybe you forgot about that thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 am

caoimhincentre wrote:

Hey keep it on the rugby, no need for comments like that mate...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:20 am

not at all i gave the reasons why ireland COULD win.

I can go into why wales COULD win too if you like.

Your no 7 is an exceptional talent and from the looks will be a fantastic leader for years to come.
Your scrum is one of the best in the world.
Your mid-field is extremely strong and could do serious damage.
Clearly you have two exceptional finishers in North and Williams should he start.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:23 am

maestegmafia wrote:I didnt know Heaslip was at the RWC he has been so anonymous.

Maybe if he knocked the ball on as often as Faliteau you might notice him more Wink...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:23 am

Awh come on guys, let's keep it friendly. I support both teams usually, but of course Wales will come first for me in this match (all's fair in love and war!). Having said that, this is just too close to call. Whoever wins, it won't be by much, and it should be a superb match for neutrals to watch too.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:23 am

Ireland is going to win, there, i've said it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:24 am

maestegmafia wrote:
caoimhincentre wrote:

Hey keep it on the rugby, no need for comments like that mate...!

Sums up the Wales vs Ireland love in really. Cant you save it till one of you is facing England or are you that convinced theyll lose to France?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:25 am

biltongbek wrote:Ireland is going to win, there, i've said it.

I've always liked this guy...

There's only one thing i'm predicting this week. That I won't get a stroke of work done between now and quitting time on Friday...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:26 am

Mickado wrote:There's only one thing i'm predicting this week. That I won't get a stroke of work done between now and quitting time on Friday...

+ 1 Yahoo
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 am

biltongbek wrote:Ireland is going to win, there, i've said it.

Bil, I'll gladly go in on the back of that comment Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 am

you know you're just doing the old reverse psychology trick thang BB, what you really mean is 'damn those welsh boyos are great, would love to meet them again for a rematch in the final' eh? eh? Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:28 am

Is ANYONE going to get any work done...?

Also, can we spare a thought for those poor souls who have to work Saturday morning? Thankfully I'm not one of them! Yahoo

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:30 am

Cari wrote:Is ANYONE going to get any work done...?

Also, can we spare a thought for those poor souls who have to work Saturday morning? Thankfully I'm not one of them! Yahoo

Sorry, no sympathy, shouldve thought ahead far enough before applying for the job! thumbsup

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:32 am

Cari wrote:Can we spare a thought for those poor souls who have to work Saturday morning?

It was bad enough when I was on an aeroplane while Wales were playing South Africa!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:40 am

Both sets of fans are confident as are the respective teams, no need for anyone to take offence, we differ on the merits of each others players and that's life. Its good to differ. It's usually better if you can back it up with a reasoned argument but hey ho let's bring it on - Good luck to all . thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 am

RubyGuby wrote:Both sets of fans are confident as are the respective teams, no need for anyone to take offence, we differ on the merits of each others players and that's life. Its good to differ. It's usually better if you can back it up with a reasoned argument but hey ho let's bring it on - Good luck to all . thumbsup

Jeebus Ruby NO. Never let reasoning get in the way of a good argument Wink

Hug
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:49 am

I am actually being truthful here, i really do think ireland will win.

Here are my reasons.

1.Wales have been looking in awesome form for the past few weeks, but form alone is not going to win the world cup.

2.Ireland has shown more calmness and guile in their approach to this RWC.

3.Ireland has shown in the dmoestic club competitions that their players know how to win knock out matches.

4.Comparing players is futile, it is subjective and achieves very little.

5.As a captain warburton is still very inexperienced and could most likley make the wrong decisions at crucial times, just look at McCaw 4 years ago, great player but not there yet in 2007.

6. Wales had good performances in the pools, forget about Fiji and Namibia those were routs. They could have beaten SA but they didn't and they could easily have lost against Samoa, in contrast to that Ireland have not once looked out of control.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 am

roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I didnt know Heaslip was at the RWC he has been so anonymous.

Maybe if he knocked the ball on as often as Faliteau you might notice him more Wink...
More like if he he had a slightly less ubiquitous hair cut..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:55 am

I'll just comment on 2 Bilton

"Ireland has shown more calmness and guile in their approach to this RWC.:" I take it you missed the warm ups and the USA game where we would have put 50 on them

"Ireland has shown in the domestic club competitions that their players know how to win knock out matches." : This is the golden generation that has won 1 Grand Slam instead of the 3-4 they should have won (ask any Irish fan) This suggests that they often choke at international level when it matters

Lots of arguments for and against here with Ireland at their peak and the welsh team continuing to rise. I just think we'll blow them away up front, honestly, I do. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:02 am

RubyGuby wrote:I'll just comment on 2 Bilton

"Ireland has shown more calmness and guile in their approach to this RWC.:" I take it you missed the warm ups and the USA game where we would have put 50 on them

"Ireland has shown in the domestic club competitions that their players know how to win knock out matches." : This is the golden generation that has won 1 Grand Slam instead of the 3-4 they should have won (ask any Irish fan) This suggests that they often choke at international level when it matters

Lots of arguments for and against here with Ireland at their peak and the welsh team continuing to rise. I just think we'll blow them away up front, honestly, I do. thumbsup

How do you justify that ireland are at their peak???

Also i wouldnt focus on the Warm friendly games before the world cup. by the irish players admissions they did not treat them as test matchs!!!

Why do persist in pointing out the games before the Aus match and fail to point out the performances after???

True we should have won more grand slams but haven't.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 am

RubyGuby wrote:

I think you are being disrespectful to the USA here. You can only play who are in front of you and we got the results we needed, when we needed them.

I don't think this team are chokers. Possibly we blew a couple of GS's in 2001 and 2007 but it's a fine line between winning and losing. I believe the players we have are incredibly strong mentally and I think we'll see this on Saturday.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next