The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales V Ireland (the final showdown) - until the next one

+21
profitius
Luckless Pedestrian
wolfball
whocares
jimmyinthewell68
Notch
Sin é
Nachos Jones
asoreleftshoulder
Rory_Gallagher
Cyril
rodders
GunsGerms
LordDowlais
majesticimperialman
The Saint
Artful_Dodger
westisbest
Galted
TRUSSMAN66
SecretFly
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales V Ireland (the final showdown) - until the next one Empty Wales V Ireland (the final showdown) - until the next one

Post by SecretFly Thu 05 Mar 2015, 4:06 pm

I'm saying nothing. But absolutely no mention of refs before, during or after the game!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Wales V Ireland (the final showdown) - until the next one Empty Re: Wales V Ireland (the final showdown) - until the next one

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Mar 2015, 4:09 pm

Is this rugby... Secret ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Wales V Ireland (the final showdown) - until the next one Empty Re: Wales V Ireland (the final showdown) - until the next one

Post by SecretFly Thu 05 Mar 2015, 4:13 pm

I can't get the bloody thing to go back to where it's meant to be. I'm looking for a mod but can't find one. It'll be gone as soon as I get a chance Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Mar 2015, 4:21 pm

SecretFly wrote:I can't get the bloody thing to go back to where it's meant to be.  I'm looking for a mod but can't find one.  It'll be gone as soon as I get a chance Wink

Leave it for me Mate.............I don't follow the sport so I was just clarifying...

Hope Ireland win...........I have roots there..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 05 Mar 2015, 4:24 pm

Thanks Truss. We'll need some against a rejuvenated Wales

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 05 Mar 2015, 5:32 pm

I also hope Ireland win, the rugby boards are exceptionally entertaining when Wales lose.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 05 Mar 2015, 5:40 pm

They were very entertaining prior to my posting this...that's why it's loaded about 'refs' - so entertaining that the mods closed it down.

Hot - but very funny stuff.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 05 Mar 2015, 6:07 pm

Hopefully we can get the slam but will be a tough remaining 2 games.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:29 pm

Good effort 'Fly. But where are the pics of Welsh and Irish folk a la posts by George Carlin??? Wink

I echo your sentiments though - wouldn't it be lovely to have a game not blighted by squabbles (on here) of the perceived safety/danger of tackles, the perceived bias/favouritism shown by the ref, the things missed, the things allowed, the history of previous 'naughtiness' that mean that so and so is a dirty fecker, that another is a reckless chump, that whichever team are, dare I utter it, 'cheats', etc.

How about a clean slate on this thread. Let's bring no previous baggage or drama from the club boards or the past 6N bun fights. This is all possible, folks. This is in YOUR hands!

The France v Wales discussions were great. No arguments, no drama (apart from a few English stirring the pot!). Maybe that's because there was very little french representation on here? But it was refreshing. Will it last?!

Very Happy Shocked Crying or Very sad thumbsup Erm Fingers Crossed

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:33 pm

Griff wrote:Good effort 'Fly. But where are the pics of Welsh and Irish folk a la posts by George Carlin??? Wink

I echo your sentiments though - wouldn't it be lovely to have a game not blighted by squabbles (on here) of the perceived safety/danger of tackles, the perceived bias/favouritism shown by the ref, the things missed, the things allowed, the history of previous 'naughtiness' that mean that so and so is a dirty fecker, that another is a reckless chump, that whichever team are, dare I utter it, 'cheats', etc.  

How about a clean slate on this thread. Let's bring no previous baggage or drama from the club boards or the past 6N bun fights. This is all possible, folks. This is in YOUR hands!

The France v Wales discussions were great. No arguments, no drama (apart from a few English stirring the pot!). Maybe that's because there was very little french representation on here? But it was refreshing. Will it last?!

I second this, relations between Irish and English were very good before our match as well. Lets do the same for this match and preferably after as well Very Happy

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 05 Mar 2015, 8:39 pm

Griff wrote:

No it's because they always get bitter over a Wales win. Must have been a suicidal nation when we spoiled their grand slam party. We'll just have to settle for the Irish slating Gatland after we ruin their Grand Slam party this year Yahoo

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 05 Mar 2015, 9:41 pm

The Saint wrote:
Griff wrote:

No it's because they always get bitter over a Wales win. Must have been a suicidal nation when we spoiled their grand slam party. We'll just have to settle for the Irish slating Gatland after we ruin their Grand Slam party this year Yahoo

I don't think you will spoil Irelands Grand Slam dream this year. (I rekon) Ireland will win.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 05 Mar 2015, 10:41 pm

Griff wrote:Good effort 'Fly. But where are the pics of Welsh and Irish folk a la posts by George Carlin??? Wink

This was actually only meant to be a kind of a joke entry Griff after one of the threads on the Ref of the day (Wayne Barnes)  went into meltdown with warnings and buzzer lights and phasers set to stun, and hatchets and cleavers - and was promptly shut down as quickly as it started.  So I tried to push this up quickly but it kinda got lost somewhere else for a few hours before it was retrieved for the International section....

The picture guys and serious stat guys can do one of their own whenever they want with my blessing. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Mar 2015, 12:10 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31752376

Sorry hopefuls.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:44 am

I am going to this one, a nice free day all paid for, firstly we will be off to the bay for some grub, then into Wetherspoons for some light refreshments then into the big smoke for the game, I cannot wait. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:54 am

Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne BarnesWayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne BarnesWayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne BarnesWayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne BarnesWayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne BarnesWayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne BarnesWayne Barnes Wayne Barnes Wayne Barnes...............................

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:55 am

...Wayne Barnes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

Saint

I would not get to hope full because Warburton and Biggar are going to be fit for the game....After all Warburton usualy gets injured ( before) a big game. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:14 am

Wouldn't worry about Warbs.... our backrow will spend most of the match in the bin if Barnes gets his way.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:20 am

Since 2007, 11 matches 8 losses. Wales to win in the last 5-10 minutes by 3-5 points.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:27 am

Wales by a penalty try in the 86th minute would be my prediction, with Ireland having 14 men in the bin.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:31 am

with Ireland having 14 men in the bin? oh in that case Wales might have a chance.
This just might come back and bite me in the bum. Rolling Eyes Wink

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:32 am

rodders wrote:Wales by a penalty try in the 86th minute would be my prediction, with Ireland having 14 men in the bin.
I'm not sure Schmidt will pick 14 Ulster players.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:36 am

The game to boast the first ever own penalty kick too.... where after a successful place kick by Sexton at the start of the second half, Barnes informs him actually it's still stoppage time in the first half and that he's actually scored 3 points for Wales.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:39 am

Cyril wrote:
rodders wrote:Wales by a penalty try in the 86th minute would be my prediction, with Ireland having 14 men in the bin.
I'm not sure Schmidt will pick 14 Ulster players.

Very good, I did have to laugh at that. Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:59 am

But the refs are professionals, what would they get out of being biased, stop being so paranoid, the refs are equaly bad for each other.

There you go boys, just some of the things that you lot tell me every time I bring up Irish bias by Irish refs in the Pro12, you cannot have it both ways, and before anybody starts( I am looking at the camera in the corner of the room so the MODS can see me) I am just playing devils advocate and trying to balance things out. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Mar 2015, 11:12 am

Keep that up Lord and I might have to go to the dreaded RED EXCLAMATION MARK!  (roll the drums and some fireworks!)

I'm getting fierce emotional (almost a maddish 'I CAN'T TAKE IT NO MORE!!!!!' red mist kind of teariness, to be more scientifically technical about it) about slanderous stuff continually directed at our refs..............................................................  Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 06 Mar 2015, 11:16 am

Do you think we could see this sort of reffing next week?

http://balls.ie/rugby/gif-former-referee-alain-rolland-scored-sneaky-try-ireland-saturday/

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Mar 2015, 11:22 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Do you think we could see this sort of reffing next week?

http://balls.ie/rugby/gif-former-referee-alain-rolland-scored-sneaky-try-ireland-saturday/

Is that real????????

God laughing that's probably the best (most usable in many contexts!!!) rugby gif I've ever seen.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 06 Mar 2015, 11:24 am

Yeah apparently Rolland had the time of his life,I heard that later in the game England were winning easily and Corry (I think) made an intercept and was going to score so Rolland just ran under the posts and gave Ireland a penalty try.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Mar 2015, 11:38 am

I know it was all obviously for fun and charity...but still, the auld competitive spirit would still be in those English lads.  I wonder how they took it?  I have a feeling they were mumbling: "Okay Alain...okay...you've had your fun now don't be making our score look less impressive than it is"

I guess though that he actually was lampooning his reputation amongst 'certain' fans.  Good stuff.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 06 Mar 2015, 11:53 am

Yeah he's proved he's definitely Irish!

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 06 Mar 2015, 12:04 pm

Stephen Ferris is not happy that Barnes is ref:

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/stephen-ferris-confirms-to-us-that-he-is-not-happy-about-wayne-barnes-getting-the-ireland-v-wales/16324

Lets face it it stinks that he has been appointed ref. His record v Ireland speaks for itself.

Why did Walsh drop out prior to the '09 Wales v Ireland GS decider for Barnes to step in then too?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri 06 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

I know that stats show that Ireland games with Barnes as ref has Ireland loosing a lot more but other than that late penalty against Wales, he really has not been too harsh on Ireland. The other matches have just seen Ireland beaten.

I am not personally concerned as to who is ref myself.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:I know that stats show that Ireland games with Barnes as ref has Ireland loosing a lot more but other than that late penalty against Wales, he really has not been too harsh on Ireland. The other matches have just seen Ireland beaten.

There is more than just that. He refused to send Bradley Bavies off for a very dangerous tackle on Donnacha Ryan in the same game. He refused to dismiss Pascal Pape for fracturing Heaslips vertebrae. He was very quick to send Heaslip off in a game v NZ a few years back.

There have also been a number of high profile slip ups v Ireland.

Not only is our loss rate with him as ref unusually high we also have above our average penalty count.

I also think it is a bit dodgy that although he is English he did go to school in Wales.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:11 pm

You have to play well enough to make any mistakes by a ref redundant to the outcome.

All Ireland need to worry about is not ball-boys or refs but getting the end-game right, getting sub timings right and making sure subs come on and give impetus not allow the opposition an opportunity to reboot and attack.

Last 15 minutes is what Ireland needs to look at and work out. Some day it's going to kill us if we don't fix it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Saint

I would not get to hope full because Warburton and Biggar are going to be fit for the game....After all Warburton usualy gets injured ( before) a big game. Whistle

Classy as always maj, revelling in the unfortunate injuries sustained by welsh players, injuries which may be detrimental to their health AND career. Do both sets of supporters a favour and take your lowlife comments elsewhere. Better yet, get out a bit more and actually support a team if you're finally willing to nail your colours to the mast.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:17 pm

Name me a ref that has not made high profile slip ups during matches.

Barnes is not my favourite ref at all but I don't think he shows any bias against Ireland.

As I have said many many times, part of a games preparation is knowing the ref and playing him accordingly. Under Schmidt, I see a much smarter way of playing the ref than in years gone by. I am not so concerned myself.

As for Heaslip, the aftermath of that hit from Pape was very bad for him. You could see at the time that it really hurt bt I will also put my hands up and say that when I saw it, I was not too sure there was much in it and said that the game should have just been restarted. Afterwards, I was very wrong but that's the way it goes. At the time, I understood Barnes' ruling.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:20 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Why did Walsh drop out prior to the '09 Wales v Ireland GS decider for Barnes to step in then too?

Wasn't Kaplan the ref then?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

I also think it is a bit dodgy that although he is English he did go to school in Wales.

I wouldn't worry about that one - he was probably bullied for being England when there Wink

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:28 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Nachos Jones wrote:I know that stats show that Ireland games with Barnes as ref has Ireland loosing a lot more but other than that late penalty against Wales, he really has not been too harsh on Ireland. The other matches have just seen Ireland beaten.

There is more than just that. He refused to send Bradley Bavies off for a very dangerous tackle on Donnacha Ryan in the same game. He refused to dismiss Pascal Pape for fracturing Heaslips vertebrae. He was very quick to send Heaslip off in a game v NZ a few years back.

There have also been a number of high profile slip ups v Ireland.

Not only is our loss rate with him as ref unusually high we also have above our average penalty count.

I'm with you and Stevie guns. I wasn't happy with the performance against France either... did everything to avoid sending any French players to the Bin, including Pape, but shot the card out of the pocket at the first opportunity to us.... total double standards at the breadown too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Paddy Power stop taking bets on England winning the title. This is a seriously dodgy appointment considering the way the table looks.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:32 pm

It would be funny if Ireland beat Wales and then lost to Scotland after all this grumbling Wink

Obviously it would only be funny if England won their last two games with enough points of course... Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:Name me a ref that has not made high profile slip ups during matches.

Barnes is not my favourite ref at all but I don't think he shows any bias against Ireland.

The voice of sanity clap
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:41 pm

has any one mentioned the roof yet

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:46 pm

Cyril wrote:It would be funny if Ireland beat Wales and then lost to Scotland after all this grumbling Wink

Obviously it would only be funny if England won their last two games with enough points of course... Smile

Nothing wrong with that, Cyril.  OK  

That would mean we won the Title by right because we beat the eventual winners.  Wink  

Isn't that how some of the theories were going last year??

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:47 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:has any one mentioned the roof yet

You get the medal for that one jimmy guinness

Congratulations. A perfect strike run on an unsuspecting defence.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:48 pm

Cyril wrote:It would be funny if Ireland beat Wales and then lost to Scotland after all this grumbling Wink

I wouldn't find either scenario funny in the slightest.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:02 pm

thanks fly thought I get that debate started

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:36 pm

Cyril wrote:It would be funny if Ireland beat Wales and then lost to Scotland after all this grumbling Wink ... just for England to lose against France 1h30 later

fixed Very Happy

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:38 pm

The Saint wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Wasn't Kaplan the ref then?

No. He reffed the game when Mike Philips scored from a quick throw in 10 or 11 I think.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next