The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

+37
HammerofThunor
flyhalffactory
Taffineastbourne
doctor_grey
TycroesOsprey
littlejohn
Standulstermen
Shifty
Cymroglan
Feckless Rogue
D24tress
Sin é
ME-109
Ferris+O'Brien+Heaslip
MunsterMac
Eclipse
BlueNote
Comfort
westisbest
Ozzy3213
andy powells minder
Rava
Mickado
Cari
Luckless Pedestrian
caoimhincentre
rodders
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
dummy_switch_pop
mystiroakey
Thomond
Glas a du
RubyGuby
Artful_Dodger
majesticimperialman
Biltong
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who will win

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 6 Vote_lcap37%Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 6 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 26 ]
Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 6 Vote_lcap63%Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 6 Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 44 ]

Total Votes : 70

Poll closed

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 6 Empty Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well played Ireland...!

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:20 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : UPdating)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 6 Empty Re: Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by Cari Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:11 am

roddersm wrote:
Cari wrote:Last night I had another random dream where I was talking to BOD. I can't remember what was said, but the last time I had a dream where I was talking to BOD Leinster won the Heineken Cup...if Ireland win I'll freak out.

He wasn't on a plane when you were talking to him was he? Shocked

No it was pitchside, when I had the Leinster dream, we were sat on the subs bench. Headscratch

Cari

Back to top Go down

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 6 Empty Re: Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by Mickado Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:11 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:
roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Wow, if you come across them again please post links.

So far as I can see the story is all about the exciting new young welsh team, the great rugby they play etc etc and then at the end that they will get knocked out by the paddies.

I've seen more neutrals pick Wales than Ireland. For example the sky sports panel are going for Wales.

I think Wales might win.

Also the term "paddies" is not very PC. This is 2011 not the 1980's.

I am a neutral, and I've tipped Wales to make the final since before the final round of pool games.

You’ll always be PcPete to me mate! Wink

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:20 am

I find it amazing that in all these 10 million threads on this game so few people have mentioned Shane Williams!

Am I right in saying that this will be the little man's last ever game if Wales lose?

All the talk has been about Warburton, O'Brien, North etc. but I think the 3 dangermen who could decide this one are Williams, Bowe and O'Driscoll.

These guys always seem to come up with big tries on the big occaisions. Shocked
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:21 am

roddersm wrote:I find it amazing that in all these 10 million threads on this game so few people have mentioned Shane Williams Gavin Henson!

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:22 am

Rodders - Shane Williams said he was retiring from international rugby after the world cup regardless.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:25 am

That's very true, Rodders. I suppose it can only be a good thing that we're not pinning all our hopes on one player to win us a game.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

Thats what I mean Cari!

I can't believe he's been mentioned so little. I don't like that he's gone under the radar!

For all the talk about North, Roberts, Warburton, Faletau etc. it was Williams who scored Wales most important try in the group stages.

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't come up with something special on Saturday. Shocked
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:29 am

i've changed my mind. wales to win.

player for player wales are better never mind the fact that they are young and fearless, hit harder than us, faster, better with ball in hand. also they are the fittest team in the competition

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:That's very true, Rodders. I suppose it can only be a good thing that we're not pinning all our hopes on one player to win us a game.

No of course not but so much talk has been about Warburton v O'brien and George North that the likes of Williams, Bowe and BOD, who always seem to come to the fore on the big stage have almost been ignored in the build up.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

Perhaps there's a bit of a complacent attitude amongst the general press. They expect Shane Williams to play well cause of who he is, but the youngsters have been surprisingly good so they're a more interesting talking point I suppose.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:31 am

Key men for Wales will be Jenkins, Lydiate and Roberts. To stop Ireland wales will have to tackle themselves to a standstill and stop the Irish carriers before they hit the gainline.

The three Welshmen that I have mentioned will be key to this. If Wales let Ireland get over the gainline continually it will be along 80 minutes for them. If they can stop this and frustrate Ireland they will get chances, and they have enough players in the backs to take them.

Looking forward to watching what should be a great game. thumbsup

And Mickado, to me, you will always be that nigerian taxi driver! Wink Ale Hug guinness
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:41 am

I have to say I genuinely believe that Ireland will try and attack Wales out wide and Wales will try and take Ireland on in the pack, particularly the scrum.

Wales aren't the sort of team that you can just kick to because they have such strong ball carriers and strike runners.

Ireland will use Ferris and O'Brien to tie in defenders and then move the ball wide, with Bowe coming in off his wing. ROG will probably chip a few to the corners to test the Welsh line out but think generally he'll be keen to run the ball.

Expect the cross field kicks to as Bowe will want to get on on one with Williams and Earls is very strong in the air too. Kearney will likely put up few bombs and will have the edge on halfpenny in the air.

For Wales I think they'll be keen to test the Irish scrum out early and also get Faletau running down that 10 channel.

BOD has struggled with his head on tackling with his shoulder and I think Wales will really hammer down that Irish midfield with Roberts and North.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:48 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:
And Mickado, to me, you will always be that nigerian taxi driver! Wink Ale Hug guinness

I just cough laughed mate. Laugh

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

roddersm wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:Maesteg, why does it matter who the pundits think will win?

Because if it's the other team it means you can keep the chip on your shoulder Wink

Roders,

Your usually a well rounded individual, now your acting like a child.

Grow up...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:36 am

roddersm wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:That's very true, Rodders. I suppose it can only be a good thing that we're not pinning all our hopes on one player to win us a game.

No of course not but so much talk has been about Warburton v O'brien and George North that the likes of Williams, Bowe and BOD, who always seem to come to the fore on the big stage have almost been ignored in the build up.

That's more like it...

Yes the George north vs Keith earls battle will be interesting, so will be ospreys wings up against each other on the other side.

Lions centres up against each other in the middle, next to the two quiet performers in DArcy and JD

Old master vs young upstart battles at nine and ten...

Plenty of stories there...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:36 am

maestegmafia wrote:
roddersm wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:Maesteg, why does it matter who the pundits think will win?

Because if it's the other team it means you can keep the chip on your shoulder Wink

Roders,

Grow up...

To be fair to him having a chip on your shoulder is how Irish teams win things. I’m sure it’s not meant as a slight on you.
Before every Leinster v Munster game (for example) you can predict who’s going to win by figuring out which team has the biggest chip.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:38 am

Mickado wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Roders,

Grow up...

To be fair to him having a chip on your shoulder is how Irish teams win things. I’m sure it’s not meant as a slight on you.
Before every Leinster v Munster game (for example) you can predict who’s going to win by figuring out which team has the biggest chip.

Maybe so...!

No need for slights, there is enough to debate and wrangle over for this match...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:39 am

caoimhincentre wrote:i've changed my mind. wales to win.

player for player wales are better never mind the fact that they are young and fearless, hit harder than us, faster, better with ball in hand. also they are the fittest team in the competition

+1 Wink

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by J_D Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:40 am

Under 24 hours to go, my excitement and nerve levels are touching maximum, cant bloody wait!! Good luck to both teams and may the best win thumbsup Ale

J_D

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 11:37 am

It's going to be awesome - I really can't tell which way it's going to go and I hope the ref doesn't spoil the game. The only thing I'm certain of is that I'll cheer so loudly I'll wake the street when Geth Jenkins chips the ball over BOD, barrels past Darcy, and then side steps Kearney before swallow diving over the try line!

But first I've got the Scarlets match to gear myself up with!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:04 pm

And if worse results prevail no matter which celtic team we support. There is always the thought of the French playing well to cheer us up

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

I can't feckin wait. I haven't been so excited about a game since...well since the Italy game last week.

I've went through all the scenarios and I think Wales do have the edge and we may struggle in a couple of key areas.

It's important we start well otherwise Wales may run away with it.

If Wales win this then I think they'll go all the way to the final. However I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet and hope our guys can raise their level once again and put the Welsh upstarts in their place! guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:16 pm

I read a theory on another thread that whoever wins the Wales v Ireland match will have 'played their final' and will be a spent force by the semi final. I really hope that isn't the case.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:19 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I read a theory on another thread that whoever wins the Wales v Ireland match will have 'played their final' and will be a spent force by the semi final. I really hope that isn't the case.

Nah; who ever wins v Wales v Ireland will be a spent force by the final Smile

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:22 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I read a theory on another thread that whoever wins the Wales v Ireland match will have 'played their final' and will be a spent force by the semi final. I really hope that isn't the case.

No I don't by that at all. Sounds like wishful thinking. Wales in particular have had a couple of easy games to round of their pool and Ireland won all their games bar the Australia one comfortably enough.

It's England who have had the dog fights and who knows with France.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:25 pm

Look I've already told you the score will be 10-9.

Nobody believed me about Tonga v France, and I was right.

So listen this time, do you hear?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:26 pm

Who will it be 10-9 to,GG?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Look I've already told you the score will be 10-9.

10 -9 to who?! Sad

Anyone know what the forcast is?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:28 pm

Where would the suspense be, if I told you that?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

Rodders: http://metservice.com/towns-cities/rugby-world-cup-2011

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

Cheers Thomond. Looks like good conditions.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

I reckon 10-9 to Wales with G Jenkins scoring an 80 yard break away winning try deep into injury time!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

Tommy Bowe to score the winner off a ROG cross field kick with Shane williams left trailing in his wake and making a despairing failed attempt at an ankle tap ......holy god in heaven TOMMY BOWE....!!!!! Yahoo
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

Yeah, the forecast for the weekend is an interesting one. Conditions on the two days will be very different. Dry on Saturday, Wet and very windy on Sunday.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:36 pm

ROG to kick the ball up in the air and then take out the Welsh catcher in the air in the last minute to concede a penalty that loses his team the game! Wink

Whistle
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

Hmm looks like that may work out well for France and SA ......
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:21 am

Well played Ireland...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 08 Oct 2011, 9:23 am

Wales were magnificent,defence and breakdown work were superb. Ireland let in soft tries but we were never in it. Congrats to Wales and best of luck in the rest of the tournament. Cry

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 08 Oct 2011, 9:25 am

Thomond wrote:Wales were magnificent,defence and breakdown work were superb. Ireland let in soft tries but we were never in it. Congrats to Wales and best of luck in the rest of the tournament. Cry

Yup, what Thomond said. OK ...... Sad
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 08 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

Cheers guys

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 08 Oct 2011, 10:57 am

Cheers all you Irish fans...! You are a great bunch.

Ireland deserve better than a quarters spot, it's unfortunate the draw went this way. A great side, they have been for years.

But I have a bloody huge smile on my face today..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 08 Oct 2011, 1:17 pm

Cheers guys but I think ur being harsh on urselves as everytime u had the ball u got over the gainline and if ud kickd those pens instead of goin for touch it would have been mighty close

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2011, 1:20 pm

Shane Williams did have a big part after all,his try and his try saving tackle on O'Brien.

Good game and everyone seems to have heaps of praise for both teams.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:45 pm

I thought we were poor,no intensity just going through the motions.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:51 pm

Ireland-Wales was a completely fantastic game to watch as a neutral. Both teams were positive, constructive, and tried to win rather than trying not to lose.

The error rates and penalty counts were low, we didn't even have a lot of scrum re-sets.

The game was played in very good spirit, was refereed very well I thought and overall rugby was a winner on the day, along with the deserved Welsh.

Well done to both teams, and it's great to see this kind of match in a knock-out competition after the boring dross we suffered though in 2007.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:57 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:
Well done to both teams, and it's great to see this kind of match in a knock-out competition after the boring dross we suffered though in 2007.

NZ V France was a very good match that year. I don't see how people are seeing so many positives for Ireland from that performance. 3 pathetic tries conceded and lacking any form of invention. Kicking was too loose aswell.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

congrats to wales, good luck agaisnt the french.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

I thought Ireland struggled for creativity in the pool stages, but I thought that was being compromised for structure in the mould of the Brumbies of old. Perhaps lacking a bit of pace.

Earls made some terrible errors under pressure, coughing up possession in his own half and then backing that up with inadequate defence. But redeemed himself with a well taken try, and was close to another later on.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

Thanks GreyGhost , kind words sir OK.

Thomond I don't think there was a lack of effort but I think maybe the occaision got to some of the older guys. We were slow out of the blocks and looked shell shocked when Wales hit us with the early try.

Panic seemed to set in for a while and the decision not to go for the posts when we had those penalties were poor calls.

We did claw our way back and had a purple patch for a while but when Phillips got that try it was a killer. Wales just grew in confidence and our guys just seemed to have nothing left in the tank. Wales always seemed in control.

Wales were deserving winners and it's a bitter pill to swallow but we were 2nd best in so many aspects.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

I would agree with you Rodders, it is not what we've come to expect of this team. Their calmness has been a trait for their provinces it's odd that it wasn't there today. Gaffney is gone now so let's get a new backs coach!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next