The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DotD - 4 Womens Wrestling

+2
Jammy31
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

DotD - 4 Womens Wrestling Empty DotD - 4 Womens Wrestling

Post by Adam D Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:00 am

Do women have a place in wrestling?

I am not going to go in to the long history of womens wrestling - I have neither the inclination or time to do the research. So here is my brief summary of how women have played a part in wrestling (it may not be 100% accurate!).

Moolah and Mae Young wrestled and held the womens championship since the 1800's (most probably)

Elizabeth was Savages valet and first real woman star of WWF. She managed Savage, had a storyline with Hogan, married Savage in the ring. It was up there with Charles and Di.

Then came a host of "sexay" divas - Sunny etc. Used their charms and wrestled. For every Sunny, there was a Luna. This was the first real foray into big time WWF TV that women wrestled. This list also included the likes of Sable and Kat.

Then came the other Divas who were quite alright in the ring - Trish, Miss Jackie, Dawn Marie, Jacqueline, Stacey Keibler etc. Fitties one and all, and put in a alright shift in the ring.

Either Mae Young or Moolah whipped out her puppies on a PPV around this time too.

A few more came to the Diva party late - Lita, Jazz, Molly Holly etc. Most of these were good wrestlers and did the womens division proud.

Then came TNA with their knockout division at the same time as the Diva were doing their Diva such guff. TNA had a combination of their own wrestlers and some WWE offcasts, whilst the WWE went down the "they cant wrestle but they look like centrefold route).

So TNA gave us women wrestlers who were very attractive and the WWE gave us attractive women who couldnt wrestle.

At this point in time TNA took over the mantle of the premier womens division.

This all culminated in possibly the greatest ever womens feud - Gail Kim vs Awesome kong. An actual feud that looked genuinely aggressive. Hard, fast and action packed - it was better than 90% of the mens feuds in both WWE and TNA that year. In WWE, Maria got her baps out after breaking up with Santino.

Then it started to go wrong for TNA - Kim and Kong went to WWE where they have done nothing as of yet. This left them without thier star performers, and although the division is still not bad, it is nowhere near the previous high it enjoyed. WWEs diva division has improved (a little) and there is hope but I feel that Vinces signing of Kong and Kim was nothing to do with wanting to push womens wrestling but more of a "lets take away something good from TNA" plan.

So that is my history of Womans wrestling - what happens next. What do you want to see happen? Do you want them going back to being valets? Do you want Kong and Kim to get it on? And maybe even wrestle a little.

What are your thoughts on Womens wrestling?

Discuss.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

DotD - 4 Womens Wrestling Empty Re: DotD - 4 Womens Wrestling

Post by Jammy31 Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:29 am

I think that since the Chyna/Lita era, not much has been done with women's wrestling in the WWE. However, I do think that it is on the up again slowly...Particularly because of my two favourite words - Beth Phoenix Very Happy
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:42 am

I think that women do have a place in wrestling, I just wish that WWE especially wouldn't confuse 'valets' with 'wrestlers'. For every Trish Stratus, who successfully made the jump from being eye candy to credible female wrestler, there are 25 Jackie Gaydas whose matches were more often than not described by the words 'bowling shoe ugly'.

WWE seems to think that they can take anyone and turn them into a Diva because hey, no-one gives a toss about the women right? Wrong. TNA showed with the Kim/Kong (IL?) feud that people will watch women's wrestling, get into it and accept them in occasional main-events if you give them a storyline to care about and proper matches. Hell, WWE did it with Trish and Lita, the female version of Rock/Austin, sort of. They headlined RAW for crying out loud! Can you see Eve Torres doing that today?

WWE has the opportunity to really establish the women's division and surpass what TNA did because they'll have 4 of the top female workers in the world (Gail Kim, Awesome Kong, Beth Phoenix and Natalya) on their books as well as a host of supporting characters who can do a job as well.

I just hope they take the opportunity, otherwise we're going to see Kong involved in a comedy love triangle with Santino and Kozlov if they're not careful.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:48 am

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:I just hope they take the opportunity, otherwise we're going to see Kong involved in a comedy love triangle with Santino and Kozlov if they're not careful.

But that could prompt an angle with Tamina...

I think it's much more likely to be a Khali and Mark Henry love triabgle Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:52 am

David Tails wrote:But that could prompt an angle with Tamina...

It'll be a love rectangle then, Tamina's gonna be the 3rd dude.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri 18 Mar 2011, 11:21 am

What annoys me most with female wrestling is when it spoils a decent bloke feud.
Case in point is this years Mania with what could have been a showstealer in Ziggler v Morrison.
That match as a one on one could frankly have been amazing, both guys at the top of their game at present and it could have been a teaser of a match that in future years could genuinely headline the show.
But what do they do?

Stick in some divas
Laycool, ok they’re not bad, McCool wasn’t the best when she started, but she’s become this generations Trish to a degree, she’s learnt on the job.
Trish, well she sullied the memory with her comeback Rock promo. God that was bordering Jeff Hardy level of car crash tv.
And Snooki.
Really?
I’ve never watched Jersey Shore, I have no intention of ever watching Jersey Shore, every person that I see off this programme whether on TNA or on WWE makes me wonder if sterilising those with low IQs could be a good thing.
But Snooki? For the first time in watching WWE I genuinely wished for a Hornswoggle run in to occur. On that they’d make a great couple. Vince if your reading this, Snooki is a fame hungry harlot, that’s evident, if she wants in on WWE put her in as Hornswoggles love interest. She looks like a Oompa Lumpa as it is anyway.

Back more though to the topic.
Yes when done correctly women’s wrestling can have a part, one’s like Luna Vachon, Lita, Beth Phoenix, Kong, ODB, Roxxi all brought something different to the table and I was interested in their characters.
Those though like Kelly Kelly, Velvet Sky, AngelinaLoveisSoBeautifulIWishSheWasMyWife, Stacey Keibler, etc, they’re there purely for looks, and for most of them they’re not really that much on the looks front, if I wanted to gawp at women there’s something called the internet.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 18 Mar 2011, 11:31 am

On another note, what the hell were TNA thinking of getting rid of Daffney? She was okay in the ring and had a gimmick that made her stand out from all the other Knockouts, way better than all the interchangeable women they've got now who basically go around screaming "You're a bitch!" or "You're a slut!" or "You're a silicone whore!" at each other.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 18 Mar 2011, 11:31 am

sounds like a Friday night in Newcastle.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri 18 Mar 2011, 1:44 pm

I if leave my office in Cheshire at 3pm how long till I could get to Newcastle?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 18 Mar 2011, 2:04 pm

Hero - I'm leaving my office right freaking now!

Silicone whores for everybody!

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dashing One Fri 18 Mar 2011, 3:45 pm

I'm from Newcastle (well just outside) so i'll meet you all and together we can style and profile over the toon. Just watch out for the large amount of Rob Terry's that stalk the orange coloured darlings.

The Dashing One

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 18 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

The Dashing One wrote:I'm from Newcastle (well just outside) so i'll meet you all and together we can style and profile over the toon. Just watch out for the large amount of Rob Terry's that stalk the orange coloured darlings.

Shouldn't be a problem mate, I'm bringing Scott Steiner with me thumbsup

He'll totally own Rob Terry!

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down