The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So proud to be an Edinburgh fan!

+13
Comfort
R!skysports
Luckless Pedestrian
Scottish Optimist
UlstermaninGlasgow
Thomond
MrsP
Imperialbigdave
rodders
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
justified sinner
RDW
17 posters

Go down

So proud to be an Edinburgh fan! Empty So proud to be an Edinburgh fan!

Post by RDW Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

Well what an afternoon! This is why I love rugby, and love my team - and at long last I've got something to cheer for!

What an effort from the guys though in the HK this year. We were saying in the boozer after that at the start of the season we were chatting that, in this group, we'd be happy with just winning our home games. Who would have known the mental nature of the rest of the ties??

All started off with an away win against LI that was kind of swept under the carpet due to the lack of coverage during and after the game. In hindsight though what a crucial win that proved to be!

After that was the famous game. The game that will live forever in the memory of those who were there. The game when Edinburgh were 24 points down with 20 minutes to go and ended up winning 48-47. That was also the game I missed to go to a 40th of someone I didn't really know!!! Gutted.

Then we get humped by Cardiff and us Edinburgh fans revert to our old position of knowing that we're probably just going to make up the numbers.

Then there's the Cardiff return leg at Murrayfield which yielded a great win BUT we let them get a losing bonus point the last kick of the game - there and then we knew that bonus point might come back to haunt us.

That is when we knew we had a chance - all we had to do was travel to Paris and get a win against the French aristocrats that were Racing Metro. And you know what? We bloody well did it! Another fantastic performance and goodGodman stepped up and nailed the winner.

And that brought us to today - the best chance in a long time to qualify. What were the permutations? Could we win? Would Cardiff win? I was very nervous in the boozer before hand. Great start though - couple of good tries and a decent lead at half time. Check the Cardiff score - crap. They are winning and have scored 3 tries. Surely they will get a 4th? Bit depressing then. But then we score a 3rd and we start to believe again!

Then suddenly a fantastic break by Roddy Grant and a couple of passes and we've scored!!!! But no - apparently there was a forward pass?? Absolutely raging - refereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bit of swearing there from everyone.

But great credit to the guys - they didn't give up and got the BP try they deserved. We all went mental and much beer was spilt but we didn't care - we got a bonus point win!

Then we looked to our phones and saw there was 6 minutes left in the Cardiff game - I phoned my brother cause he was watching it live and the internet was being slow on my phone. Cardiff have a 5m lineout?? Must score. They don't and then they knock on - final whistle goes!! Another dose of jumping, shouting and beer spilling.

So that's it - we're through and what rugby we've played. Hopefully we've gained some new fans along the way from other fans from other countries. We could do with your support!

So I don't care that we can't defend, that we have a very under-nourished pack and we can't defend very well (apart from today). I don't care we don't get great crowds. Today I am so proud to be an Edinburgh fan and I'm so proud of the near 11000 fans that roared our team to victory!

Black and Red army Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

So proud to be an Edinburgh fan! Empty Re: So proud to be an Edinburgh fan!

Post by justified sinner Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

+1 on virtually all of that, but missed Metro home game due to bust ribs, not a party. C'mon the Gunners.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

Btw were you in Roseburn before or after? I was. JS

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

Couldn't have said it better RDW. Proud member of the Black & Red army! Bring on Toulouse! Harder than the others we have played so far, but not unbeatable.

Edinburgh showed in the third quarter that the can defend. With Cross, Rambo, Raleigh and Rodders putting in some crunching tackles at the fringes of the rucks.

As one of our esteemed Irish posters so often says : BELIEVE!

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Sun 22 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : predictive text made me look loe an erse!)
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:54 pm

Completely agree, particularly on the forward pass that never was. I was on the floor of my living room beating the floor and swearing - thought that was going to cost a home QF.

Look forward to welcoming Toulouse to Edinburgh, great fans the Toulouse supporters. They'll come in their thousands, hopefully to see their side be subjected to more great offloading and ball carrying.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 22 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

Congratulations! Have a guinness on me! Braveheart
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 22 Jan 2012, 9:34 pm

OOOO ARE YA!!!!!!!!!
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Jan 2012, 9:37 pm

Well done Edinburgh.

I didn't get to see your game today but was delighted at the result.

One thing though, where did all those people at Murrayfield come from?

And where have they been all season?

It was great to see people there.

See you in the semi?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 22 Jan 2012, 9:43 pm

Well done lads, a great result and great to see you in the QFs. Best of luck against Toulouse!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sun 22 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm

May have to take a trip over to Murrayfield as I reckon I won't get tickets to go to Thomond... But as a Glasgow fan also can I just add my congratulations to the Edinburgh lads. Fantastic effort and a great brand of rugby. See you in the Aviva for the Semi vs Ulster?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:May have to take a trip over to Murrayfield as I reckon I won't get tickets to go to Thomond... But as a Glasgow fan also can I just add my congratulations to the Edinburgh lads. Fantastic effort and a great brand of rugby. See you in the Aviva for the Semi vs Ulster?

If we make it that far I'll be there!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sun 22 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:May have to take a trip over to Murrayfield as I reckon I won't get tickets to go to Thomond... But as a Glasgow fan also can I just add my congratulations to the Edinburgh lads. Fantastic effort and a great brand of rugby. See you in the Aviva for the Semi vs Ulster?

If we make it that far I'll be there!

Just bought my ticket for the Edinburgh game... Only a fiver for students!!! Fantastic price!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:05 pm

How can you buy tickets when the date of the match hasn't been decided?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish Optimist Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:12 pm

Good to see the £5 offer carrying on for students, should help get bums on seats.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/edinburgh-news/4015-quarter-final-tickets-on-sale-now

Scottish Optimist

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish Optimist Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm

Also want to echo thoughts of others, today was brilliant so proud of the team and chuffed to get the 4 try bp.

Can't wait for the QF, no reason we can't beat Toulouse at Murrayfield and if we don't it should still make a great game of rugby and fab advert for Scottish Rugby. Braveheart

Scottish Optimist

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:19 pm

MrsP wrote:How can you buy tickets when the date of the match hasn't been decided?

They're selling them for the weekend with the caveat that time and day will be confirmed... Still a good way of getting as many bums on seats!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 Jan 2012, 6:54 am

Looks like there's more far reaching, financial benefits for Edinburgh making it through:

Edinburgh success

450k plus gate money?? Lets get all of Scottish rugby to Murrayfield and we'll do the same when Glasgow make it to the playoff finals!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:18 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:So that's it - we're through and what rugby we've played. Hopefully we've gained some new fans along the way from other fans from other countries. We could do with your support!

You definitely have a fan here. Edinburgh play a good brand of rugby to watch, have a great, athletic back row and quality at half back - plus that Dutchman whose name escapes me... Wink

Bonne chance against Toulouse, should be a cracker!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:04 am

Well now I'm in front of a keyboard I can really type out how I feel instead of tapping it away on a wee android keyboard.

Immensely proud of what we achieved. Edinburgh was widely tipped to be the whipping boys in a group that Cardiff was tipped to breeze through. We finished the pool by destroying London Irish who are a top class outfit and we did it with some style! It is an enormous achieving for us.

Edinburgh played the game very well too. Our forwards were quick, physical and our recycling game was fantastic.

What fills me with the most confidence was our defence. So often Edinburgh leak soft tries. Not yesterday, the 3rd quarter saw us camped out in our own 22 for huge swathes of the game and we absorbed that pressure really well and came out for the 2nd quarter and closed the game out with 2 tries.

Not an exaggeration to say that this HC has produced some of the best performances I have ever seen from Edinburgh in the professional era.

It would be great for some of the Warriors fans to join the Black & Red army, just for a day when Toulouse come to town!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:41 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
It would be great for some of the Warriors fans to join the Black & Red army, just for a day when Toulouse come to town!

You have my support - fantastic result

Did not have a chance to watch it, s do not have red button on the TV for sports. Who were the best Scottish players who are going to feature in the 6n?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

Blair and Laidlaw, for me they have to be the starting half back combination after that game. They were trully magnificent. It was also really handy to have 2 Scrumhalves on the pitch in the last 10 minutes when Edinburgh's recycling game was at it's strongest. The rate of of phases and the quickness of the ball was superb.

Blair was very close to being back to his best with some darting runs, and the confidence that Laidlaw could be at the breakdown quickly passing to Matt Scott (himself a flyhalf) and Edinburgh always seemed to keep their shape in the backs. Unquestionably one of the best performances I have ever seen from Edinburgh.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:01 am

Good to hear. Will have to watch it (when gf is out)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:27 am

Geoff Cross is another who deserves to be singled out for praise. One knock-on aside he had a great game. Some wonderfully effective pick and drives and he certainly had the better of Corbisiero in the scrum.

Cross should most certainly be on the bench to face England. A genuine impact sub if ever there was one.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:42 am

Agreed, Cross had an absolute stormer. In truth it's hard to single out anyone that played poorly for Edinburgh.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

Are you sure any of those Edinburgh backs are actually scottish? Wink

Incisive, intelligent attacking play, a joy to watch so far this season and deserve to be where they are,, im a blues fan, and i was devastated we missed out on the home semi, its a tough, tough ask to travel to Leinster when they're playing the way they are.

Good luck and well done, fingers crossed some of those boys can translate their club form into Scotland colours! Braveheart

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:08 am

Comfort wrote:Are you sure any of those Edinburgh backs are actually scottish? Wink

Incisive, intelligent attacking play, a joy to watch so far this season and deserve to be where they are,, im a blues fan, and i was devastated we missed out on the home semi, its a tough, tough ask to travel to Leinster when they're playing the way they are.

Good luck and well done, fingers crossed some of those boys can translate their club form into Scotland colours! Braveheart

Big problem is they have to get picked 1st! Matt Scott was not even included in the training squad! Sad

A mistake by AR to be sure unless he declined a place to finish his law degree. He's got a lot of rugby left in him and I seriously hope he was left out for those reasons rather than AR being too conservative.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:26 am

Great result for Edinburgh - they've been in some cracking games this year and delighted to see them get a home Q/F - against Toulouse just makes it all the better.

Secondly, kudo's to the powers that be in Edinburgh in retaining £5 student ticket. Its good to see that they are trying to build a legacy from this game rather than just trying to cash in on it. Hopefully they'll jam Murrayfield to the rafters and have a memorable day for Scottish rugby.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:26 am

Fair play to Edinburgh. Played a stormer at the weekend.
3rd seeds OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Looks like there's more far reaching, financial benefits for Edinburgh making it through:

Edinburgh success

450k plus gate money?? Lets get all of Scottish rugby to Murrayfield and we'll do the same when Glasgow make it to the playoff finals!

thought the gate money was shared 50/50 with the visitor team (with some going to the local league) unless the hoem team doesnt play at his usual stadium (to get a higher capacity) in which case it's 65/35 split ?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

I don't know the details - just read in the paper that we are getting at least £450 000 for getting to the next round and that will be swelled by ticket money.

Can get 3 top quality players for 500k....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:34 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

You have another Glasgow fan marshalling the troops to make the hop over to Murrayfield... The £5 student deal is just an extra sweetener!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

Another thing that hasn't really been mentioned is that we finished the 3rd seed - 3rd???? Considering the only teams with a smaller budget than us are Connaught and Airioni that is an incredible acheivement!

Shove that right up you Richard Cockerill and Leicester!! Braveheart

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

clap notworthy to the Red and Black

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down