The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical

+14
maestegmafia
Cardiff Dave
bedfordwelsh
Notch
HammerofThunor
Knackeredknees
wales606
PJHolybloke
Knowsit17
Cymroglan
lostinwales
SecretFly
XR
Shifty
18 posters

Go down

Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical Empty Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical

Post by Shifty Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:08 pm

Apparently Scarlets Prop Rhys Thomas collapsed in training and was rushed to hospital, over night he had a quadruple heart by pass during the night.

Thoughs are with his family, I hope he recovers. Sad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical Empty Re: Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

There's nothing concrete released about this at all so far Alyn, as far as I can tell it's all speculation.

I hope that it is not as serious as is being rumoured, but whatever has happened to him, I wish him all the best in his recovery.

Back to top Go down

Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical Empty Re: Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical

Post by XR Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

let's hope he's ok and recovers if those reports are true

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

It would be terrible if people were spreading this to be mallicious though.

Either way we should find out this afternoon.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:17 pm

It would be, but I'd rather that Alyn, then this news actually be true!

I just really hope he's okay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:It would be, but I'd rather that Alyn, then this news actually be true!

I just really hope he's okay.

In 2006 just after making his Wales debut he collapsed in the Rodney Parade car park and was diagnosed with a split artery, after taking a heavy tackle. He was out of the game for 6 months.

To this day he is still on medication and has to have regular check ups.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

If it's not news, where is it coming from? I mean how did you guys hear about it?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

SecretFly wrote:If it's not news, where is it coming from? I mean how did you guys hear about it?

Threads are springing up on Gwlad and Scarlet Fever, as well as it being all over Twitter.

Though a few Scarlets fans have said they know people who were at the club last night when it happened, so there must be something in it.

RyanLeeBarrett
@deacon_manu
any news on Rhys Thomas mate? Wish him all the best when you see him! #Scarlets

deacon_manu
@RyanLeeBarrett we all know as much as everyone else. I'm sure it will be announced soon.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

just checked its on the Scarlet's forum. Nothing is confirmed, but things dont sound good. - The rumors state that hes awake and moving but I guess we will have to wait and see for confirmation of what happened

Sad

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical Empty Wales prop Rhys Thomas has surgery after heart condition

Post by Cymroglan Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

Wales international prop Rhys Thomas has undergone heart surgery after being taken ill during training with the Scarlets, the Welsh club has confirmed.

The 29-year-old was taken to Morriston Hospital in Swansea on Thursday morning and has "undergone successful surgery" and is in a "comfortable condition".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16763282.stm

--------
Get well soon Rhys

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:09 pm

Good luck to him on recovery, hope it's nothing serious.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

Bad times, good luck and get well soon big fella.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:28 pm

Sad

Hope he recovers

He had been having a very good season
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:51 pm

Hope he makes a full recovery, good luck and best wishes

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:52 pm

there's already a thread on this, will merge it now OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:54 pm

confirmation there on the Beeb then, although doesn't seem quite as serious as first feared (although obviously still bad Sad )

Really really hope he recoverd quickly and well, thoughts go out to him and his family.

Back to top Go down

Rhys Thomas collapses in training, and is critical Empty Rhys Thomas has heart surgery

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:57 pm

Not sure if this has been covered but

[NB Mods, probably should be in the club section Doh ]

LINK

Wales international prop Rhys Thomas has undergone heart surgery after being taken ill during training with the Scarlets, the Welsh club has confirmed.

The 29-year-old was taken to Morriston Hospital in Swansea on Thursday morning and has "undergone successful surgery" and is in a "comfortable condition".

Thomas, the last of whose seven caps came in 2009, will recover in hospital.

"Our thoughts and best wishes are with Rhys, his wife Paula and their family," said Scarlets chief exec Mark Davies.

"The region will be keeping in close contact with medical teams at Morriston Hospital as to his progress but it is understood that he is comfortable and doing well.

"I am sure the whole rugby community in Wales would join with us in expressing to Rhys - all our very best wishes for a quick and comfortable recovery."

RHYS THOMAS FACT FILE
Continue reading the main story
Born: 31 July 1982 in Johannesburg
Position: Tight-head prop
Height: 6ft
Weight: 18st 12lbs
Wales caps: 7
Clubs: Newport, Dragons, Scarlets
Did you know?: Rhys attended King Edward VII School in Johannesburg along with South African rugby players Joe van Niekerk and Bryan Habana
Thomas was taken ill during training at Parc y Scarlets on Thursday and was treated by Scarlets medical staff before being taken by ambulance to hospital.

The Welsh Ambulance Service confirmed: "The Welsh Ambulance Service was called to a medical emergency at a location on Parc Pemberton Retail Park, Llanelli, at 10.16am yesterday [Thursday].

"One ambulance was sent to the incident and the crew transported a male patient to Morriston for further treatment."

Thomas was born in South Africa but began his professional career in Wales, making his debut for Newport, the town of his father's birth, in 2003.

He came through the youth ranks at Rodney Parade and made a try-scoring debut for the Dragons following the advent of regional rugby in a 27-5 win over Glasgow in October 2003, before establishing himself as a Dragons regular in the 2004-05 season as the team finished fourth in the Celtic League.

The tight-head made his international debut in Wales' 45-27 defeat by Argentina in Buenos Aires in June 2006, replacing Adam Jones in the second half.

But he was unable to play for seven months between October 2007 and May 2008 because of a mystery chest problem.

Thomas's next Test cap was in August 2007 when Wales were defeated 62-5 by England in a World Cup warm-up.

The 18st 12lb powerhouse joined Scarlets from the Dragons in 2009 after making 119 appearances for the Newport-based region.

Thomas has scored nine tries in 52 Scarlets appearances and has scored four times in 17 games this season - and his last outing was in their 16-14 win over Glasgow on 7 January.

Hope he recovers well and best wishes to him and his family

[Morriston? ]

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 6:58 pm

there's already a thread on this in the club section, will move this and merge it now Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

Sad news. Shades of what finished Simon Bests career. I wish him all the best.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:10 pm

Poor lad, i hope he has a speedy recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:33 pm

Bl88dy hell, never his biggest fan but thats irrelevant.

Symapthys to his family and all the best to him for speedy recovery.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

Bad, bad news. Hope he recovers.
One of the great characters of the game.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

Poor bugger, hope he recovers soon. Very sad to hear sucha young man suffer.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 29 Jan 2012, 12:35 pm

Western Mail says today that he is having to retire from Rugby at just 29. Great shame after what has probably been his best season in the game.

He has really improved and IMO should have been selected as under study to Adam Jones for this year's 6N. All that is history now, get well soon Rhys.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 29 Jan 2012, 12:38 pm

Well after having major heart surgery I think retiring would be the sensible option.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

I hope that's just a usual baseless Western Fail story and that he will actually be able to come back as he could have gone on to have a good career with Wales and I would have seen him continue to improve.

It'll be a real shame if it is true

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:15 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I hope that's just a usual baseless Western Fail story and that he will actually be able to come back as he could have gone on to have a good career with Wales and I would have seen him continue to improve.

It'll be a real shame if it is true

I very much doubt it, he had a heart attack and was only allowed to continue playing after 6 months off and had to have regular check ups and take medication, he has had another heart attack and a quadruple heart by pass. If he's lucky he might get 10-15 years before he has to have another corrective operation, but playing professional rugby, especially with the high calories intake required to have the required size and energy would seem any chance of him continuing very remote.

One solid spear tackle from an over excited Samoan and he may end up dead. Sad

I think his playing career is most definatively over.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

i hope it isnt true, if it is, very sad, and hope he fully recovers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:23 pm

As harsh as it sounds, he'd be better off giving up the sport if it means he stays healthy after recovering from heart surgery. If he was my other half/brother/pal I know which I'd prefer. Giving up sport for any medical reason is disappointing and (pardon the pun) heart breaking, but you just have to put your wellbeing first sometimes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:25 pm

Cari wrote:As harsh as it sounds, he'd be better off giving up the sport if it means he stays healthy after recovering from heart surgery. If he was my other half/brother/pal I know which I'd prefer. Giving up sport for any medical reason is disappointing and (pardon the pun) heart breaking, but you just have to put your wellbeing first sometimes.

i compleletly agree cari OK

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 30 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

Very sad news to hear. Whether you like him as a player or not it is irrellevant. I hope he recovers soon. (as a side note anyone else notice Vili and Manu did his celecration after their tries).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down