The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Royal Rumble - Macca's moments and moans

+17
Adam D
Sara
Don Caboose
The_Enigma
Shot 21 LCFC
DDT
Bull
sodhat
psycho-gooner
AberdeenSteve
Liam
Beer
MtotheC
Fernando
Kay Fabe
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
ADMIN
21 posters

Go down

The Royal Rumble - Macca's moments and moans Empty The Royal Rumble - Macca's moments and moans

Post by ADMIN Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

The Royal Rumble: Macca’s moments and moans

Thought I’d write up a review of the Rumble and what I thought to it all so here goes...

Daniel Bryan v Big Show v Mark Henry (steel cage for World Heavyweight Title)

Bit of a funny one to start the show, first it had a classic Youtube moment where Big Show tried to give a 5 year old girl his hat only for her to turn him down, he then delivered the line ‘I know who your daddy is!’ like some big 7ft guy who hangs around playgrounds offering sweets out.
Daniel Bryan I believe has started to win over those who felt he was 2d in personality, the heel turn has been well executed and I can see the logic in pitting him v the 2 behemoths in Henry and Big Show. Personally I’d like to see him being able to demonstrate his actual wrestling ability a bit more as he’s limited in what he can do with 2 guys over twice his weight. I called it immediately but I think the ending was botched, I reckon Big Show was meant to lift DB back up on top of the cage though I believe the winner was always going to be DB. You could tell Henry was carrying an injury as he rarely showed offence and most of the match was based around Show & DB.
Shame the only PPV before Mania is the Elimination Chamber as would have liked to have seen DB defend v Cody Rhodes before Mania.

Rating 3 stars

John Cena vignette – puts across what a lovely fella he is. Further hints then he’s about to turn heel.

Diva match

Not wasting too much time on this, basically Beth came out of it looking strong and I presume to lead into a feud with a certain person who I’ll mention in a bit.

Rating 1 star

Backstage skit with Ryder, Eve and Laurinaitis.
Have to say, I’m loving Johnny Ace in the heel boss role, possibly the best since Vince in that role for me. Quite a horror show style plot hook of let’s leave Ryder in a wheelchair in a room all alone where nothing possible could harm him...

John Cena v Kane

Why does Cena always look like he’s poopied he pants when Kane’s pyro hits?
Not a bad match in all, Kane brings out the best in Cena but I’d have liked to have seen more aggression from Cena, a couple of glimpses of the ‘hate’. Spoilt it when it ended in the double countout, I’d have preferred perhaps Cena getting DQd for snapping on Kane. Goes backstage where Kane finds a conveniently placed chair to take Cena out of action for a while, and even more conveniently it’s right in front of that room where Ryder is all alone!
Kane suffocates Ryder with his glove.
In less than 10 seconds.
How small are Ryders lungs? Or is Kane’s glove containing chloroform that his brother once fell foul to v Giant Gonzalez, if Kane starts to wear a man-fur suit I’m calling dibs on saying I said it first! Kane torments Ryder for far too long and eventually Cena runs out to make the save. I thought Cena was meant to be Superman? That was ages since he got the chair shot backstage. Quite surprised that Kane got so much of the upperhand over Cena with Cena surely going into the build up for his match with Rock soon. I really cannot see how they can keep Cena face in that feud.

Rating 3 stars

WWE’s anti bullying campaign video

It’s a great message it really is.
But I have one slight issue with it.
WWE entirely revolves around people getting into arguments and resolving these arguments through fighting. Often these fights are won by the bullies such as the previous match where Kane tips a guy in his wheelchair out. What message is that meant to portray?
Don’t bully people...unless you’re a crazy guy in a mask who embraces hate and for some reason have it in for a New Jersey Shore clone?

Rock vignette
I just watch this video and realise I really don’t care for the Rock anymore, it’s like when George Lucas made the Phantom Menace. How I wish Punk v Austin was the old v new match at Mania.

Drew McIntyre v Brodus Clay

I still don’t like the gimmick, yes it’s drawn heavily from Godfather and Rikishi etc, but I didn’t overly like those gimmicks either. People moan about the PG dummying down of WWE yet lap this up? Agree with a few people that Clay really should have been in the Rumble rather than a squash match. Would have been far better for him to have come down mid rumble and clean house then start his brontosaurus dance or whatever it is. I also like McIntyre, yes he’s at least getting better airtime than Superstars but a loss streak rarely helps a wrestler (see MVP, he got released you know!)

Rating 2 stars

WWE Title Match: CM Punk v Dolph Ziggler
My BIG gripe with this match wasn’t the ending (which left everyone scratching their heads) but more that Ziggler for all his plaudits on how wonderful he is in the ring just doesn’t generate heat. In a world title match the heel in the ring should be the person the boos are directed at.
But they weren’t. The hatred was focused entirely on Johnny Ace stood outside the ring, so until he got involved the crowd were flat as a pancake and it was just treading water until the eventual involvement of him. As usual the wrestling between them was top class, lots of near pins and nice spots but I hope they are leading somewhere decent with the reasoning to the end of the match.

Rating 4 stars

The Royal Rumble

First up is Miz as we all knew sporting a rather Bisto like spray tan and I called Alex Riley to be his opponent, showed how much his stock has fallen (which I presume is down to him sandbagging Swagger a few months ago) when he’s dispatched before number 3 arrives which is R Truth which made the match on Raw to decide who came out on the number 1 spot pretty redundant being as the winner came out only 2 minutes later.
Next out Rhodes and it’s looking a decent mix in the ring with them three, crying out though for JoMo to make a return in at number 4 but instead we get Justin Gabriel who’s one of the making up the numbers guys.
Surprised on how long R-Truth briefly lasts, wonder if that’s still part of the Wellness suspension comeback.
Skimming forward now to Foley, now I’m not a fan of the old guys taking up spots in the Rumble at the expense of the next gen but in Foley I make an exception as he’s a personal fave. He really struggled to even get in the ring though and not lose breath. I do hate though when an oldster chucks out what’s at present one half of the current tag champs in Primo.
First big surprise returnee then happens when ADR’s music hits, but instead is possibly the funniest moment of the Rumble when Ricardo emerges in a battered car. Crowd really take to it too and a decent Ricardo chant can be heard. Santino next out and it becomes slapstick for a while with Ricardo & Santino going at it followed by Cobra v Socko. Both though quickly are eliminated and business returns to normal.
Next out is Kofi. Kofi gets the spot of the Rumble award for his handstand but thats about it from him.
Lawler in and swiftly out again. Waste of a spot. Zeke, Mahal and Khali appear but don’t really have much impact and its treading water. Booker T gets a pop and then the trio of announcers taking part is complete when Cole is announced. This is probably the low point of the night. Surely WWE must have realised by now that heat he gets isn’t decent heat but simply frustrated fans venting at WWE at a poor product.
It did though bring about the return of the hope for the Diva division when Kong returned, has she had her baby, can we tell? Either way she scared the jeebies of Cole and then proceeded to give what was the number one contender to the WWE title only an hour earlier in Ziggler an Impact Buster! How the mighty have fallen!
Not many spaces left and still quite a number of jobbers are entering the fray which is quite worrying. Sheamus enters as does Swagger. Guest spots of Road Dogg & Jim Duggan show the lack of legends available and again raise questions over the strength of WWE’s roster.
Barrett comes out and then the biggest pop of the night for the hometown boy Orton at number 28 who swiftly is the only guy left standing in the ring as RKOs rein down galore.
Jericho then at 29, business is picking up and everyone is thinking who can top this, who can be number 30???
Big Show.
Seriously why.
And pretty much immediately he eliminates two of the best heels in Rhodes and Miz who’d survived from the start. I wonder if one day WWE will realise no-one has ever liked Big Show, he’s never put on a decent match and he sucks up any enjoyment from a match with his big clobberin hands? Orton finally dumps out the big fella but then follows straight after and it’s down to two. Sheamus and Jericho
The pair actually save the Rumble.
Often when it’s down to two in the Rumble it’s a quick finisher and over the top for the win but we’re treated to a decent one on one match for some time, both guys have several near falls over the top and Jericho really impressed me that his time out of the ring hasn’t resulted in coming back rusty, he actually looks better than towards the tail end of his last stint when he was challenging Matt Hardy for Moobs of the year.
Sheamus though upsets the odds and gets the win to end the show posing for fans.

Rating 3 stars

Overall not the best Rumble, not the worst, highlights were Ricardo, Kharma return, Kofi’s spot and Sheamus’s win. Low lights were the clear case of a rather weak depth of roster at present resulting in poor selection of guys being used.

Personally I’d have had Punk lose his title and then appear in the Rumble, he was the highlight of the past 2 years Rumbles and it missed him badly, if he’d have come in early on (5 or 6), cleared house and then continue to chuck guys out whilst Lauriniatus looked on frustrated from ringside it’d have made the Rumble a lot better. Goldust should have been a returning legend, he’s been teased feuding with Cody, so it’d have made sense to have eliminated him. Orton should have returned at the Rumble, I still don’t get the return at SD, the impact at the Rumble in his hometown would have been amazing coming in at 30 akin to when Cena returned a few years ago. Clay too should have been involved, the squash match just wasn’t needed.

Overall rating 3 stars.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

The Royal Rumble - Macca's moments and moans Empty Re: The Royal Rumble - Macca's moments and moans

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:58 pm

I agree with most of your points.

Just picking up on the comment about The Rock. Did you feel, like me, that The John Cena video actually conveyed some emotion about the guy and showed what he is all about, whereas The Rock's was one long boast. (where he actually explained how twitter works - like we're stupid)

I'm sure by Wrestlemania I'll be marking out like crazy for this match, but right now just don't "feel" the Rock.

Back to top Go down

The Royal Rumble - Macca's moments and moans Empty Re: The Royal Rumble - Macca's moments and moans

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

Very disappointed in the PPV, maybe I expect to much

The big disappointment about last years Rumble being 40 men was that it was massively diluted with loads of crap, well this year it was back to normal and yet it was still filled with crap, Lawler, Booker, Cole, Duggan, Khali, Mahal, Foley, Road Dogg, one of the Uso's, Ricardo Rodriguez, Santino, Otunga, Alex Riley, Zeke Jackson, Gabriel

With the exception of Santino and possibly Gabriel none of those guys should have been near the Rumble IMO although I can see why they'd make a couple of spots for nostalgia acts like Folly and Road Dogg

Cena and Kane should have been involved, Kane coming out and dominating before Cena comes out a couple of numbers later and eliminate each other and continue their mad brawl, Mark Henry is another who had to be involved even if it was just for a few minutes, Orton and Jericho had to be out earlier, serious lack of Star Power and Brodus Clay had to be the Elimination monster this year

Also, when I pay £15 I don't pay it for time fillers like the Cena video package which felt like it went on forever then a Rock one, the BA* crap too, and the usual WrestleMania video crap

I'd have liked to have seen the Rumble line up like this

1. Miz
2. HHH
3. Cody Rhodes
4. R-Truth
5. Justin Gabriel
6. Epico
7. Jack Swagger
8. Primo
9. Kofi Kingston
10. Mark Henry
11. Brodus Clay
12. Ted DiBiase
13. Yoshi Tatsu
14. William Regal
15. Kane
16. Cactus Jack
17. Dolph Ziggler
18. Cena
19. Barrett
20. Sheamus
21. Drew McIntyre
22. Chris Jericho
23. Johnny Curtis
24. Randy Orton
25. Hunico
26. Road Dogg
27. Kharma
28. The Big Show
29. Santino
30. Mason Ryan

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:04 pm

Although it was an average PPV on reflection it just seemed like someone in creative had seen all the rumors and then changed 75% of the results apart from the steel cage match like they were trying to prove a point to the IWC.

Cena vs Kane - Rumor - A DQ finished instead went to a double countout

Ziggler vs Punk - Rumor - Laurinitis to screw him over/Ziggler win - removed himself from the match and painted him as a good guy.

Royal Rumble - Rumor - Orton/Y2J to win - Sheamus won.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:42 pm

I don't wanna be to pessimistic but IMO hardly any of last nights ppv made sense:

Is cena any closer to a heal turn after that match? No
Does jericho's pre new year video packages and 'non promo's ' make any sense after the rumble? No
Did the the wwe title match have any stand out moments or leave me wanting more punk/ziggler/Ace? No
Where was the big surprise moments of the rumble? The big returns? Nothing, zip nah da!

Such build up, such possibilities, such anticipation and what was delivered? A big steaming ball of monkey crap!

Of course the Sheamus win is positive for a bright young star but a Jericho win would have made so much more sense in terms of the build up and the possibilities with punk etc. I really don't understand it at all!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

Don't think it was ever likely Ziggler would have won the title last night so I'd say that went to plan

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:57 pm

Majorly disappointed. Waste of £15.

Disagree with Orton getting the biggest pop, Hacksaw wins that with Foley behind. I marked out 3 times.....

1) Ricardo
2) Kharma
3) Road Dogg

Cage match was good, felt the ending may have been a botch. Felt Cena v Kane was poor, the ending was rubbish. Will someone just kill Zack Ryder? Sick of the faux concern from the commentators, and really, if he had a broken back he wouldn't be in a wheelchair!!

Punk v Ziggler was a good match, but agree 100% that he had no heat, I genuinely believe he would draw better as a face, and a double turn down the line between him and Punk would be great.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Don't think it was ever likely Ziggler would have won the title last night so I'd say that went to plan

Agreed but the build up had me believing ace would play a bigger role or Jericho would be involved some how, so I'm pretty disappointed with how it played out. And back to the rumble match itself, it has always been my favourite match throughout the years and with the exception of the final two seg i found it very bland! As others have said not enough star power, not enough omg moments not enough/any big returns three things that have always defined the rumble!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:13 pm

When you think by the 27th entrant, the following had yet to appear....

Jericho
Big Show
Kane
Christian
Taker
Goldust
Orton
Cena
HHH
Mark Henry
Del Rio
Brodus

Granted Christian and Del Rio are due back soonish, a place could've been afforded to them rather than Jey Uso or Primo and Epico!

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:22 pm

In shock really. So happy I didn't pay for this rubbish. Summed the night up perfectly by the look of things where the Big show came out at no.30. REALLY?REALLY?REALLY?. Seriously what a let down. The cena and kane and ryder thing was so poorly done. Ryder just happened to be there that night in a wheelchair conveniently placed for Kane. C'mon. The Rumblee sounds awful, I called the Sheamus win but when Y2J comes out 29 you have to think, there's someone big coming, but not that sort of big that came out 2 mins later. A clean pin for Punk with no interference from anyone, ridiculous. It was crying out for Y2J and nothing happened. Y2J claiming the Rumble would be the end of the world as we know it, so at which point did that occur at the rumble.

I asked yesterday could creative muck this up with the possibility of that happening extremely low. But these guys are really pulling it out of the bag aren't they fp to them. The rumble is only second to Mania, and I have to say after last night i'm not that interested in the road to wrestlemania any more. Unless Raw turns out to be the best Raw of all time and really is a "Supershow" then WWE are gonna lose more and more fans I'm afraid.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

When Orton went I was genuinely shocked, especially given hometown advantage and the fact it wasn't last 2! I did think it was Jericho's and I kept clock watching hoping that he would win, announce he was going for the Streak and then the gong hits.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

I just watched it a second time - and thought it was actually a really good show. I think I was a bit too groggy to fully appreciate the rumble match, and disappointed at the lack of comebacks. On second viewing it was a great match!

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm

I can't believe the appearance of one man in the Rumble has pretty much ruined the entire show for me. How on earth the WWE can justify having Jericho come in at 29 and then follow his return with the Big Show is completely beyond me. Not only that but Show gets to eliminate both The Miz and Cody Rhodes? He is awful, I'd have been happier with just Henry and Bryan in the Steel Cage match too.

Other than that, I enjoyed the Cena v Kane match but can't help feel there could be a better scapegoat in the story than Ryder as he is awful. Glad to see Kane coming off looking strongest in the end.

The WWE Title match was epic, Ziggler and Punk are so talented in the ring but again the Johnny Ace siding with Punk was a little confusing.

The Rumble match itself started off brightly but died a little in the middle until Road Dogg's music hit and I started screaming like a child Laugh
Really enjoyed the end even if I'd have liked Orton to have lasted a little longer.

Definitely interesting to see what the fallout will be of this but can't say it was as bad as some are saying.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm

It really was terrible. There was a distinct lack of star power, which means Cody/Miz staying in for ages counts for very little given they had very few ''big'' eliminations. Seriously worst rumble for a long time.

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

After watching Sheamus win, I've realised I actually don't like Sheamus.

I didn't want him to win the match. I don't think much of him as a face and I certainly wouldn't pick him over Jericho or Orton as someone I would pay to see main event Mania.

Maybe I'm not supportive of the young talent here, but I was seriously disappointed that Jericho didn't win.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:43 pm

agree with you Sodhat mate , i dont 100% hate Sheamus , the guy is talented but wanted Jericho to win , and i annoyed me that Sheamus won

but if it was to be Orton then i would take Sheamus

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by DDT Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:52 am

The Cena, Kane match had to end the way it did, they couldn't have let either guy get a clean victory, as it would have buried the other. Though in some ways I suppose Kane came out of it looking the strongest.

The 2 title matches were utter garbage. I hated the way Ziggler was made to look so weak, and no match involving Henry and Show is ever going to be any good, particularly in a steel cage.

The Rumble wasn't great as a whole, we knew Foley was in, so no surprises there, and the Road Dog is just some mid carder from the 90s, who no one realy cares about. As for Hacksaw Jim Duggan, ye that was a suprise but I'd hardly say he's an A list wrestler. The last time I remember him, he was on Sunday night heat.

However the ending to the rumble was very good, Jericho and Sheamus put on a great show, and I was delighted Sheamus won.

Last edited by DDT on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

DDT

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Tue 31 Jan 2012, 7:17 am

DDT wrote:The Cena, Kane match had to end the way it did, they couldn't have let either guy get a clean victory, as it would have buried the other. Though in some ways I suppose Kane came out of it looking the strongest.

The 2 title matches were utter garbage. I hated the way Ziggler was made to look so weak, and no match involving Henry and Show is ever going to be any good, particularly in a steel cage.

The Rumble wasn't great as a whole, we knew Foley was in, so no surprises there, and the Road Dog is just some mid carder from the 90s, who no one realy cares about. As for Hacksaw Jim Duggan, ye that was a suprise but I'd hardly say he's an A list wrestler. The last time I remember him, he was on Sunday night heat.

However the ending to the rumble was very good, Jericho and Sheamus put on a great show, and I was delighted Sheamus won.

Did I really read the bit in bold? Erm

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:15 am

I love the Attitide era, and I loved D-Generation X, but I actually agree with the bit in bold.

Its nothing to get excited about. And people were describing it as a "mark out moment"? He was at the Slammies a few months ago. I think if that's the case then it takes very little to make people "mark out" these days.

Like I said - watching the Rumble a second time, knowing that there were no mark-out moments in it, was much more enjoyable and actually showed it as a great match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:24 am

AberdeenSteve wrote:
DDT wrote:The Cena, Kane match had to end the way it did, they couldn't have let either guy get a clean victory, as it would have buried the other. Though in some ways I suppose Kane came out of it looking the strongest.

The fact that he spelt it with one G suggests he may not have been around in the days when Road Dogg and Billy Gunn ruled tag team and were part of the greatest stable in history.

I have to say though, it would have been about 10 times bigger if he hadnt appeared at the slammies the other month. I would have probably hit the ceiling!!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

Anyone else think he took a pretty sick bump from Jey Uso?

I noticed it straight away, and then when Swagger came in and cleaned house he went to Road Dogg who told him to back off then started talking to a trainer outside the ring.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:50 am

Had to avoid here yesterday to try and not spoil the results and suprizes. I know I'm a day late, so nobody will read this but here goes...

Oh yeah, Electric Demon, Heath Slater got on the card, but it was a loosing effort in the dark match. With all the guys that entered this year I was a little dissapointed he wasn't in the rumble

Now onto the PPV. 1st Match

Daniel Bryan v Big Show v Mark Henry

Again D Bryan has to take credit he's limited to what he can do working with 2 guys who are into the 400 pound mark. I thought for what it was worth it was a pretty good cage match. He took punishment from both big guys but with his pace managed to use this and get a quick escape from the cage. Show looked strong coming off from this and was great to see that he actually went up and almost over the cage chashing D Bryan. Again Henry seems to be injuried so wasn't going to be any big spots. Again Bryan comes away with the gold and continues his turn in turning heel. It will be intertesting to see the smackdown chamber in 3 weeks.

8 Women Divas Match

Just a filler match, simple as that. But it was great seeing the Divas Champ after weeks & weeks of not appearing on both Raw & Smackdown. It wasn't horrible and was good to see them get more than a 1 munite match. Again Kelly Kelly looks to be improving slightly. Good to see the champ coming off strong.

John Cena V Kane

I don't know why you guys hated this match so much. I think they both brought out the best in each other last night it what was a decent match. I would suggest you guys re-watch the match and not go into it expecting Cena to turn heel. Again a Double DQ was probs the best result after a Cena DQ. Kane comes off looking like a monster after taking out Ryder again and dealing with Cena, Now c'mon who thought super Cena was going to show up when he had Ryder? Yes I thought so Kane comes off looking strong from last night and there's still fuel in this feud to continue to the next PPV. 2nd Best Match of the night!

Drew McIntyre v Brodus Clay

Again another filler match for PPV time. In fairness it wasn't horrible it was a quick match but at least Drew got some PPV time. I think he managed to get in a little bit of offence and his storyline of a loosing streak continues. At this point I thought Clay could have got a major push in the rumble, but that wasn't to be

CM Punk v Dolph Ziggler

Another fantastic match from these 2 guys. Some great moves in a fast paced match with some decent spots and good counters from each others finishers. Has Hero did put it, it is very strange to see the heel coming into a world title match not get much heat. I thought the crowd were amazing apart from the entrance of Ziggler. The Johnny Ace thing was a little strange but I'm willing to see where this goes. It was proberly the best result to keep the title on Punk, if Ziggler would have won he would have only dropped it in 3 weeks time

Now...The Royal Rumble

Good start. Miz's past coming back in the couple of entrants. A good comedy segment with Santino & Mick Foley. I just thought after such a good PPV so far, the rumble was a little bit of a let down. After all the speculation the guys & a girl who did return it was a bit of a let down. I was in complete dissapointment to see Big Show get the No. 30 Spot after all the guessing of who it was going to be. Great to see the Road Dogg back, but Mick looked out of breath after getting into the ring. Sheamus winning was something most of us didn't expect to see, (well expect greggers) but it was a complete curve ball on the part of the 'E. I don't know where they are going with him winning this but the smart money would be for the smackdown title.

So for me. It was a great start to the year for WWE. All the matches that were hyped all had a bit oh history to them with a good few weeks of build up. The fans were great, defo a wrestling town i.e. new york, phily, chicargo, and felt that also played the part in what was in all a pretty good PPV. The only thing I had an issue with was the lack of start power who were in the rumble. Well anyway the first piece of the puzzle has been put into place. I can wait to see how the rest of it turns out.

8.5/10 Pretty Good PPV.

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Tue 31 Jan 2012, 11:24 am

Big Show's entrance at 30 really was pointless. Especially as he elimated the two Iron Men (Rhodes & Miz) to little fanfare. If they'd simply swapped Big Show and Jericho round it would have made enough of a difference.

They should of had Orton and Barrett have a hardcore match and had Clay in the Rumble instead.

I know a lot of people have been annoyed by the relative lack of star power in the Rumble this year, but I thought it added to the idea that anyone could win it. I didn't mind that Sheamus had won, the guy has been patient and rebuilt himself after his Title wins and loss to HHH at WM26 really hurt him. jericho might have been a more logical winner especially given his new trolling gimmick, but he didn't need the creidbility as much as Sheamus.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm

Don Caboose wrote:Big Show's entrance at 30 really was pointless. Especially as he elimated the two Iron Men (Rhodes & Miz) to little fanfare. If they'd simply swapped Big Show and Jericho round it would have made enough of a difference.

They should of had Orton and Barrett have a hardcore match and had Clay in the Rumble instead.

I know a lot of people have been annoyed by the relative lack of star power in the Rumble this year, but I thought it added to the idea that anyone could win it. I didn't mind that Sheamus had won, the guy has been patient and rebuilt himself after his Title wins and loss to HHH at WM26 really hurt him. jericho might have been a more logical winner especially given his new trolling gimmick, but he didn't need the creidbility as much as Sheamus.

Ha, I like that description of it!

I agree that Big Show at 30 was a let down, and I was surprised with how quickly some big players went after 30 came in. I am sure usually there is a little bit more action before the final two battle it out.

I thought for a moment when the lights went out that Taker was back. I guess that could be more Jericho 'trolling'.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:21 pm

The little girl Big Show tried to give his hat to is Randy Orton's daughter, Alanna.

I was gutted that Chris didn't win however I like Sheamus so its not too bad, however it was disappointing at the end. I enjoyed it though, got very excited when Road Dogg turned up - awesome! I though Lawler, Booker and Cole entering was really funny

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by DDT Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:43 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:
AberdeenSteve wrote:

The fact that he spelt it with one G suggests he may not have been around in the days when Road Dogg and Billy Gunn ruled tag team and were part of the greatest stable in history.

I have to say though, it would have been about 10 times bigger if he hadnt appeared at the slammies the other month. I would have probably hit the ceiling!!!

I'm 23 and have been watching Wrestling since I was about 7, so I can assure you I remember the Road Dogg, and he was not part of the best tag team from the attitude era. The New Age Outlaws were no were near as entertaining as The Dudleys, The Hardys or Edge and Christian.

As for the DX part, Road Dogg was by some way the furthest down the pecking order in DX, as far as I'm concerned it went Micheals, HHH, X-Pac, Billy Gun, and then the Road Dogg. He was probably even behind Chyna, im sure she won the IC title.

How many main events did the Road Dogg ever compete in?

He was a mid carder and nothing more, that's why when he returned at the Slammys, no one gave a toss, I barely heard a cheer it went silent. If a true star from the attitude era had returned, there would have been a miles bigger pop.

DDT

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:13 pm

Same age as me. Fair enough but Road Dogg succesfully defended his IC title at Wrestlemania against Ken Shamrock, Goldust and Val Venis. He was certainly ahead of Chyna!! And in my opinion New Age Outlawz were better than all 3 of them teams. Thats just me though so we will agree to disagree on that one.

The lack of pop for Road Dogg at the slammies doesnt mean much. That was such a poor atmosphere that night, even Stone Cold wouldnt have genrated much of a pop. Just listen to how crazy everyone went last night when he did his thing. There were even (justified) chants of "youve still got it" ringing around the place.

You are right in the fact that Road Dogg was a midcarder but definately wrong in the fact that no-one cared about him. There must have been millions of people around the world who marked out when he appeared. Me including.

And if you dont like what I have just said above, then I got 2 words for ya...

Only joking Very Happy OK

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:22 pm

I actually used to love Road Dogg and Mr Ass - certainly a very underated tag team. A different era really to the dudleys/E&C/ Hardyz - a few years before from memory. They totally dominated the tag division and were excellent in doing so.

Both were excellent wrestlers and are certainly better than the likes of Duggan who was mentioned earlier.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Tue 31 Jan 2012, 7:53 pm

Would have been terrific if we saw Rikishi coming back and forming a team with the Uso's

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

Isnt Rikishi dead?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:07 pm

I hope not, he's on my facebook list and was posting the other day.
I'm guessing you mean Umaga.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

Rikishi and the usos vs Primo Epico and Carlito

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

What did everyone think of the Rock and Cena video packages? Can't say I was a fan of the Rock's but Cena's was excellent in my opinion. His stock has risen massively with me over the last few months.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

I just realised, Orton and Hacksaw were the only 2 previous winners in last nights rumble. The only time I can think of a Rumble where no entrant had previously won one was 2004, I believe.

Agreed that they should have brought out one of 2 of the bigger guns earlier. Barrett/Orton should have been about numbers 14/15. You'd've thought being in Ortons home town he would have had a better showing.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

I was the same, Cena continues to impress, the Rock for me has sullied his memory and should have stayed away.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

Completely agree with The Rock, he really doesn't have the same appeal this time around than he did when he was around before.

I honestly think Cena could trump Rock in the build up to Mania, I am honestly massively impressed with his improvement. Fair play to the lad, can't help but respect him.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark_Seven Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm

What was it about the Rock's promo that people didn't like (aside from the twitter thing that was mentioned)? I watched it during the rumble and again on Raw and enjoyed it. Was it that he came across as more of a celebrity than a wrestler, traveling round the world?..

Mark_Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:57 pm

In what way has cena improved? He is the same as always.

Enjoyed both sets of promos.

Don't feel the rock has damaged his legacy at all, he's cut some great promos and created some electrifying moments and is about to be the face in his home town in one of the biggest wm matches of all time.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:17 am

The promos Cena are cutting are massively improved and just the way he portrays the character, he's the freshest I have seen him in a long time. People are never going to be happy with him because of how the WWE have used him but he definitely deserves credit for the last few months.

As for The Rock, I have never been a huge Rock fan but this time around he's being pushed as something he isn't. Show us a bit of his wrestling history rather than huge fact he is some C grade actor. It's probably more the WWE to blame for him not being the same this time around, but I just don't seem to be enjoying his presence the same.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

He's more than some C grade actor I'm afraid, he is dining at the A list table and is in huge demand

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:19 am

the-gaffer wrote:He's more than some C grade actor I'm afraid, he is dining at the A list table and is in huge demand

Exactly.

He's picking up $15-$20million per film.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:22 pm

Wow, never realised he was making so much a movie. Apologies then but still can say I have been enjoying him as much this time around though!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down