The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tommy Bowe to Ireland?

+17
Rory_Gallagher
Sin é
Glas a du
RubyGuby
red_stag
ME-109
rodders
Notch
geoff998rugby
westisbest
TycroesOsprey
Pot Hale
valjester
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
Thomond
Intotouch
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tommy Bowe to Ireland?  - Page 2 Empty Tommy Bowe to Ireland?

Post by Intotouch Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 21:04

First topic message reminder :

I caught some of "against the head" on rte and they say that TB may be back at Ulster and more likely at Munster. Is there any truth to this?

I have to say that I'm amazed. The last interviews that I came across with the guy he was well happy where he was. He loved the team and was sure that they were on the up, bought a home, was attending college and was taking flying lessons. And he didn't need to return to play for Ireland. So what's changed? Are the provinces able to pay much more money? Is he after success and thinks he has a better chance elsewhere? Is there some bad atmosphere at the Ospreys?

Why Munster as well? Unless they want him to play in the center I'm not happy with this. We have enough talented young wings who struggle to get a game as it is. With Howlett back soon and Bowe arriving will we never see Zebo again.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Tommy Bowe to Ireland?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Tommy Bowe to Ireland?

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:28

If he goes top Stade he wont be winning any French titles

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:34

geoff998rugby wrote:Humph was not in charge when Bowe left.
We were an unprofessional shambles run by an idiot CEO when he left, we are a highly professional club run by a superb CEO now - as different as night and day.

Tommy is very much a home bird and left with reluctance and only because things were so bad. To be back near his parents would mean a lot to him.

I actually believe Paddy and Andrew are amonst his best friends regardless of rugby. These three have clearly built up a real bond over the years. Also there are plenty of other players around from when he left - it was only 4 years ago. Just checked there are 11 full contract players from his last year still at the club.

Seems to me that Ulster have gone a bit too ruthless - not nice whats happening to Brian McLaughlin* (and Matt Williams didn't leave on the best of terms either).

*whether he wants to leave or not, the way the info has got out is very unprofessional.

Paddy & Andrew maybe his best friends, but he has survived a couple of years away from them and I doubt if there would be much banter in the dressing room on a monday morning about the match in Clones the day before, which as an ex-gaa player, would be of huge interest to Tommy.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:37

geoff998rugby wrote:
Red Right wrote:Although I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at Tommy coming to Munster, I definitely would not like to see him come at the exepense of Dougie. Ideally I'd like to see get a 1 year extension followed by a coaching contract. .

But the advantage would be Bowe is IQ.

With the restrictions next year it is my understanding you can only have 2 of Lualua, Mafi and Howlett - which one doesn't play next year ?

Geoff - I see your point and its not something I had ignored when posting the above. Currently Lualua is not signed so that may or may not be an issue. If he does come I would prefer to keep Howlett - I would like to have him involved as he seems to be a very intelligent player and by all accounts is a great communicator on the field. Thats no guarantee that he will be any good as a coach but I would like to see him get a shot at it (Promotion of our great forwards to coaches has worked, we should try it with our backs). Also, he enjoys his life here, his family are settled here and he might be a good long term investment for both Munster and Ireland if it were to work out.
Tommy is a great player that I'd like to have at Munster - he would add a lot. The fact that he is IQ would add a lot - as above - I would prefer if he didn't come at Dougie's expense.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:39

geoff998rugby wrote:If he goes top Stade he wont be winning any French titles

Even though they are very poor this year, they are still only 5pts off the playoffs (no. 6).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:43

Sin é wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:If he goes top Stade he wont be winning any French titles

Even though they are very poor this year, they are still only 5pts off the playoffs (no. 6).

They are in the final play off spot at the moment, two points clear of Racing.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:44

Sin é wrote: Seems to me that Ulster have gone a bit too ruthless - not nice whats happening to Brian McLaughlin* (and Matt Williams didn't leave on the best of terms either).

*whether he wants to leave or not, the way the info has got out is very unprofessional.

Matt Williams left because he thought it was ok to be coach of Ulster whilst spending as much time on a plane or in Australia as he did in Ulster. That was unacceptable to the club - he had to go.

No one knows the circumstances of McLaughlin's departure but I would be amazed if it is anything but amicable.
I think it has as much to do with pension, family etc as rugby.

As to the way it got out someone could well be looking for their P45 if it has come from within the club - Logan and Humphreys will be furious

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:49

geoff998rugby wrote:
Sin é wrote: Seems to me that Ulster have gone a bit too ruthless - not nice whats happening to Brian McLaughlin* (and Matt Williams didn't leave on the best of terms either).

Matt Williams left because he thought it was ok to be coach of Ulster whilst spending as much time on a plane or in Australia as he did in Ulster. That was unacceptable to the club - he had to go.

No one knows the circumstances of McLaughlin's departure but I would be amazed if it is anything but amicable.
I think it has as much to do with pension, family etc as rugby.

As to the way it got out someone could well be looking for their P45 if it has come from within the club - Logan and Humphreys will be furious

Definitely not me Geoff censored
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:50

Or my contacts censored otherwise Ulster could be a couple of players short against the Dragons Shocked

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 13:59

geoff998rugby wrote:Or my contacts censored otherwise Ulster could be a couple of players short against the Dragons Shocked

I am going into a meeting just now. Wink If I hear anything I will let you know.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 14:21

Someone, who usually speaks sense on the supporters site, reckons Tommy has told Dublin either I go to Ulster else I am off to France to cash in for a couple of years - your call.

I ain't going to Munster

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 14:51

geoff998rugby wrote:Someone, who usually speaks sense on the supporters site, reckons Tommy has told Dublin either I go to Ulster else I am off to France to cash in for a couple of years - your call.

I ain't going to Munster

Sounds a bit ott to be honest. Don't think France are short of quality wingers and unless he has an offer lined up, I wouldn't chance it. Didn't he say he didn't want to go to France anyway because he wanted to be available for the next Lions Tour? I doubt if there would be a way back to Ireland in 2/3 years time if he took that approach - he'd have to stay in France.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 14:59

If he still has ambitions of playing at the highest level he needs to be looking North....

Couldn't agree more, if anyone can show him the way back to the top it's George North Wink

Tbh the O's would deserve to lose him to just about anyone at this point Sad

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 14:59

He would, but I think the point is he is making to Dublin he only is interested in playing for Ulster

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 15:06

geoff998rugby wrote:He would, but I think the point is he is making to Dublin he only is interested in playing for Ulster

I just can't see why the IRFU would want to force him to go to Munster over Ulster in the first place. Johne Murphy had offers from all four provinces and it was left to him. Its not as if Bowe will be left sitting on the bench up in Ravenhill behind a NIQ wing or anything, and if it came to blocking younger IQ players, Gilroy (& Trimble) & Zebo would both suffer equally from that.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 15:32

Agree and the thing is for all Ulster youngsters at 15,13,12,10 we are actually a bit short on the wings with only Trimble and Gilroy to speak off.
Danielli will be away and we will be a bit thin on the ground

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 16:26

geoff998rugby wrote:

Ulster 65%
Munster 30%
Leinster 2%
Ospreys 2%
France 1%

I am updating in the light of todays events

Ulster 70%
Munster 15%
Leinster 0%
Ospreys 0%
France 15%

I really need to get hold of someone but he is in a meeting steam

As soon as I know more I'll psot

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 19:13

I'm dizzy. I've read multiple people with self-proclaimed 'impeccable sources' saying he's definitely going to Munster and the same number saying he's coming to Ulster! Now I'm hearing it's Racing Metro or Ulster?

Ryan Constable is earning his money, obviously Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 8:40

Notch to be clear my sources are twofold.

Some 2/3 weeks a number of players got the clear impression that Tommy was coming to Ulster.
Someone on the supporters site who has contacts of their own says that Tommy has made it clear to Dublin he prefers Ulster.

That is it - I will endeavour to clarify today, but more likely tomorrow

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 8:46

He's got us all over a barrell. Fair play to him, this is some pishtake! Laugh

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 1 Feb 2012 - 8:50

Corect and have Dublin understood the unintended consequence of their drive to get Irish players back home.

Any half decent TH for instance could do very nicely salary wise out of thie e.g Andress

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 12:39

Did anything come of this?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 12:43

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10602.php

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14300.php

Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 12:51

Ospreys seem to have picked up a lot since he's left. Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2