The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

League and Union, conflict of intrest?

3 posters

Go down

League and Union, conflict of intrest? Empty League and Union, conflict of intrest?

Post by Kingshu Tue 31 Jan 2012, 11:29 am

Just to start I know that the League board can get WUM's from Union, but this isn't intended to be a WUM. (most articles that start like that usually are though).

Being in Ireland RL isn't popular and I can't say I really ever watch it, but I am aware it's popular in the North of England part of France and Aus.

I was just wondering with the game of Union going pro in the mid 90's has the standard of Rugby league teams declined?, are there less players coming through as they are chosing Union at an early age? Is union creeping into League strong holds?

There are a number of players that have swaped codes in recent years, will League still be able to keep there star players over the next number of years?are these real worries to you? Do you see it as a threat?

Is league's future in doubt, or is it growing and able to fight it's conor of the market?

The second part is that if the money increased in Union and league did suffer, and like RC Lokomotiv Moscow, your league club decided to switch from Leauge to Union would you still support it?

Would you say
1) Its the game I love, so I'll follow someone else?
2) It's my team, but I don't agree with what they've done, I'll boycott them till they return to League, they'll never have my support in Union.
3) I'm not sure, I'll go to some games, hope they do well but follow other league teams?
4) Go to the games as with our support etc we're sure to be one of the best teams in the country.

Bare in mind the 4 options above are if League is suffering, and becomes like Scotish football compared to the English premiership or worse.

Thoughts?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

League and Union, conflict of intrest? Empty Re: League and Union, conflict of intrest?

Post by ReallyReal Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm

ATM the standard hasn't declined one jot as far as I can see, though I have no idea what the sport is like at school/youth level, so can't really comment about future stars, though I'd expect RL is still the dominant code accross schools throughout the heartlands.
I doubt whether any of the major sides will decline for the foreseeable future and can't really see RU making much of an impact in places like SouthLancasire/Cheshire, or much of Yorkshire, but it will always be hard to keep the best young players when there's more money and supposed glory available in RU, so obviously we'll lose some talent.
I still think virtually all youth teamers will stay at their club until they start making headlines, the main worry will be those who aren't quite at the top level at 18, yet are overly eager to make an impression, a few will undoubtedly jump ship if offers come in for them.
The real heartlands will always produce talented players and even if some do swith codes there will still be a production line of kids breaking through to the top of the sport, maybe the 'poaching' of players to top RU sides might actually improve the sport, as it will show the best youngsters that there is always another option to make serious money.
The simple fact though is that the two codes are so different and large chunks of fans from either code are overly defensive/paranoid/bitter about what they see as the 'only' rugby code, so even if RL did decline there would still be a solid fanbase that would keep the sport alive.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

League and Union, conflict of intrest? Empty Re: League and Union, conflict of intrest?

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:13 pm

kingshu
I cant be regarded as a neutral on this one but I consider myself lucky in that I love both the rugby codes egually.Which is common throughout Auckland and to be fair for a little city in global terms, we have produced some pretty good players in both codes.
No Stars like Darren Lockyer,Billy Slater or cameron Smith are not going to convert to rugby union.not because they have anything against union its just that they are very,very good at the game they are already playing.
one thing that might gain some consideration down the tracks is that sububan union and league clubs amalgamate, I dont suggest this as some sort of takeover,or that any code is dying....but,more along the lines combine assets,halve the expenses,...and on the field 13 a side league could become just another alternative version to 15 aside union,the skills are tranferable....look at how many different versions cricket now has,but they still use the same bat,ball,and playing ground..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down