The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brock Lesnar and his future in pro wrestling

+10
Mark_Seven
The_Enigma
liverbnz
legendkillar
JamesLincs
nasisillmatic
Samo
boomdangle
Stan Marsh
Adam D
14 posters

Go down

Brock Lesnar and his future in pro wrestling Empty Brock Lesnar and his future in pro wrestling

Post by Adam D Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:34 pm

After the announcement of Brock Lesnar's intention to quit MMA upon his latest defeat, it got me thinking about what he was going to do next. The answer is obviously very likely to be a return to pro wrestling.

So what are Brocks options? First, however, lets look at some pertinent facts about the former UFC heavyweight champ.

In October 2009, Brock, whilst Heavyweight Champion, was struck down with a mystery illness that led Dana White to exclaim "He's not well and he's not going to be getting well anytime soon." This illness turned out to be mononucleosis and it was also found out that Lesnar was suffering from a serious case of diverticulitis, an intestinal disorder, which would require surgery.

After further diagnosis, Lesnar underwent surgery to close a perforation in his intestine that had been leaking fecal matter into his abdomen, causing pain, abscesses, and overtaxing his immune system to the point that he contracted mononucleosis. From the level of damage to Lesnar's system, the surgeon estimated that the intestinal condition had been ongoing for around a year.

He was basically, a very ill individual.

The fact that he came back to compete at such a high level again is testament to his desire to compete at the highest level.

Fame and money have always been a priority for Brock. He, like other stars before him such as the Ultimate Warrior, could be labelled as mercenaries, in the wrestling sense. They got what they could out of the sport (or should that be entertainment) and moved on. At the height of his WWE run, Brock left to go become a american footballer. Having failed to make the grade at the Minnesota Vikings, he returned to what he knew best - wrestling. But this time in Japan, as Vince McMahon and Brock were still bitter enemies at this point.

In fact Brock took the WWE to court over his no compete clause. This dragged on for some time and the two parties eventually came to terms - there is no doubt that this led to some ill feeling towards each other from both sides. And who knows how Vince McMahons brain operates? Would he still put his personal feelings over the chance to make a shed-load [more] cash?

Brock then announced that he would go into MMA, after joining the K-1 promotion. His first fight was a demolition of Min Soo Kim in less than 2 minutes. Lesnar had arrived on the MMA scene and made an immediate impression. Soon Dana White and UFC came knocking and with it massive exposure and the one thing that Lesnar wants more than fame - money.

In his first UFC fight, Lesnar was unlucky. He was easily beating Frank Mir when he accidentally struck Frank in the back of the head from the mount position. The reason it was unlucky was that it was Frank who turned his head mid strikes. However, the referee restarted the fight standing and Lesnar got caught with a submission although he was still dominating.

Lesnar lost but was still the talking point of the UFC.

His next fight was against journeyman Heath Herring who Brock easily dispatched. But now standing at 2 wins and 1 loss in pro fighting, Dana decided to cash in his money maker - he put him in for the heavyweight title against the Hall of Famer Randy Couture. Although in the same weight division, it was a real David and Goliath affair. Brock won through and was the champ after only 4 fights. The UFC had found their poster boy and Brock relished the infamy - he even went so far as to turn his post match celebrations into WWE esque type shoot promos.

He had arrived in MMA and was now making a huge amount of money. There is that word again. Money.

In fact Brock is reportedly the highest ever earner in MMA at $5.3m in bout and bonus money.

The next chapter are the defences, the losses, the illnesses and the subsequent retirement from MMA.

8 Fights, 3 losses. $5.3m and establishing himself as the biggest star of the sport. Thats Brocks MMA resume in a nutshell. And that sums up Brock - he wants money, he wants fame, and he doesnt hang around.

It has been stated quite a few times that Brock doesnt like the wrestling schedule. So where does that leave Mr Lesnar? Well there are 3 potential options for him.

The first is going back to Japan but lets be honest - that doesnt tick the fame part of his genetic make up. He also has been there and done that. Which only leaves two options - TNA or WWE.

WWE Return

If Brock were to rejoin WWE, what are the mitigating factors? Well firstly there is the schedule. If Vince has decided that he can put his past lawsuits to the side (and that's a big "if", although the fact that Brett Hart has returned shows that Vince has mellowed somewhat), the WWE could offer him a part time schedule, similar to HBK/ Undertaker - in other words, no house shows, just TV.

Then there is the salary. WWE are the only pro wrestling outfit that can comfortably afford to pay Brock what he wants without going into the red. But let's face it, Brock will demand some serious money to get back into bed with Vince.

The next factor is where do you fit Brock in? You are not going to make him your highest paid part time star to let talent go over. You are bringing him in to be the top man. Can anyone see him letting the current crop of talent go over him - Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Sheamus, Orton, Miz, Truth, Rhodes etc? The only ones he could possibly feud with and go over himself without destroying the next gen are Cena, HHH and the Undertaker. And what would those matches be like? Pretty awful.

For me, the current roster does not allow a easy return for Brock. Combine this with the baggage and contract that would be needed, leaves me to think that he won't be returning any time soon. That leaves, for my money, only one real option and the most exciting prospect.

TNA

TNA is broke. Both figuratively and financially. When I say broke, they are losing money but have deep pockets fortunately. What they don't have is mainstream crossover or the ratings...yet.

On their current course, they are heading towards stormy waters, although things are getting better with the actual product (interesting storylines and some real talent).

So how does Brock fit in?

Well firstly, the schedule would suit Brock down to the ground - you wouldn't have to change anything for him.
Secondly - there is no real animosity there with regards to lawsuits or talent.
Thirdly (and most importantly for me) is the potential match ups. TNA is full of talent that would suit Brock, that would allow Brock to go over and would also get the best out of him. Let's have a look at some of the players:

Samoa Joe - doing nothing but could really put on a good MMA type show with Brock. The physical presence of Samoa Joe would match up nicely too - a real exciting line up in my opinion.

Kurt Angle - Kurt can still go better than 99% of other wrestlers out there. He has had great matches with Brock before - in fact I would go so far as to say that the Wrestlemania match between the two is Brock's best wrestling match. Angle has stated his desire to get back into Olympic wrestling - this would suit both men down to the ground and would headline any PPV in WWE let alone TNA.

Sting - Icon v icon. Yes the Undertaker never happened but this could. Sting is in better shape than the Undertaker and this is a real star power/ headline bout.

AJ Styles - Another incredible talent not doing much or at least not doing it where he should be - the main event. He could drag a fantastic show out of anyone and it would be a David v Goliath pleasure to watch.

And finally - Hulk Hogan. Yes it would stink the place out but it would be huge. At this stage, bigger than Rock v Cena for my money.

And all of these stars (bar Hogan) would most probably work a program and let Brock win. I also think that Brock would relish this line up more than anything that the WWE can offer.

The only thing stopping this happening is Brock's cravings - fame and money.

TNA can't afford them but that is pretty irrelevant. They can afford him but would in the short term suffer financially, losing even more money. However, the upside of it all is huge exposure and potentially breaking into the big leagues. The Brock signing is that important or should be to them. And it doesnt have to cost the earth - put in place a merchandise cut to sweeten the deal!

However, the fame thing is the real stumbling block for me. Would Brock want to go the number 2 promotion? It depends what is important to him more - a legacy or the instant fame.

If he chose TNA over WWE, he would make that company. He would take it by the scruff of the neck and start it biting at the heels of WWE.

So to summarise this article - the money and fame are what drives Brock on the face of it. But his next move will be driven by his desire to be remembered for what he did, not what he is doing. He should be motivated by the talent he has to work with and not the size of the current audience. TNA is a better fit for him - of that I have no doubt. But it will come down to which box needs ticking - the money, the fame or the legacy.

When we look back in 10 years - Brock could finally be the man who took Vince on and won.

Brock - go to TNA and make them as big as you.

Last edited by Adam D on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Brock Lesnar and his future in pro wrestling Empty Re: Brock Lesnar and his future in pro wrestling

Post by Stan Marsh Tue 31 Jan 2012, 12:49 pm

His matches with Angle were great but would really struggle to hit those heights again now, he destroyed Hogan on SD! about 8 years ago - no point going back there - and in AJ Styles surely everything applies to him that you levelled as criticisms of potential feuds with Ziggler, Punk and Bryan, and likewise the positives are also in their favour.

So, yeah, a barely-on-telly-any-more-Samoa Joe is the only match I'd want to see him have in TNA.

Perhaps not.

Brock could stroll into the MitB match at Mania, destroy all 6/8 competitors and help himself to the briefcase, challenging and defeating the winner of Sheamus/Bryan. WM28 would forever be remembered as Brock's and the botch of WM19 would be forgotten about (and WM20 come to that).

Then you introduce Brodus/Kane/Big Show in to the mix to give him a few decent wins before Mark Henry pushes him close...then a newly heel Cena challenges him to a rematch of their Backlash 2003 mismatch and screws him out of the belt. Heel Cena champ, face Lesnar chasing - who wouldn't want to see that?

Stan Marsh

Back to top Go down

Brock Lesnar and his future in pro wrestling Empty Re: Brock Lesnar and his future in pro wrestling

Post by boomdangle Tue 31 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

or he is a family man and enjoys farming, and is minted so doesnt have to do anythign financially. Could even just take up a ambassador role wiht ufc turning out every now and then, but he wont be back with the wwe and certainly not tna, in fact he is done with wrestling that is my guess.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 31 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

While I agree that Brock going to TNA would be huge, and a brilliant move for the industry as a whole, I cant see it happening.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 31 Jan 2012, 1:43 pm

I do not agree that Brock craves fame and money. Of course money is a motive but I think Brock wanted to be the best at whatever he tried.

He has guarded his personal life for many years so I don't know how you can states he craves fame.

He wanted notoriety for being the supreme athlete that he is, not fame.

If is other only motive was money he would have continued in the UFC and got paid a bucket load but he never, because he know he cannot compete at the elite level he wants.

I think he will make a comeback one day, but in what role I don't know.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 1:54 pm

i have to disagree about money and fame, and i dont see him going to tna full time, maybe wwe part time, but i would say brock is close to being retired in 'fighting' be it wrestling, mma, entertainment, boxing, etc.

basically what boomdangle said, but i didnt want to be the first to say it

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

Very good summary Adam, but I feel a move to TNA is being a tad romantic.

It would be very good yes, but for me him not putting over talent and also being the 'sole' star for TNA like Austin was for WWE has so many drawbacks. WWE will always be bigger than TNA and TNA could close the gap, but ultimately like WCW before them have become a dumping ground for disgarded WWE talent.

The good for thing for TNA is that making Bobby Roode champ is showing that TNA is now atleast putting their 'own' talent to the top of the tree. I couldn't see the lure for Lesnar to feud with Sting or Angle one being that Sting could no way prove a good match for Lesnar. Secondily Lesnar and Angle has been done before and the anticpation would die down and the feud for me would become old fast. Samoa Joe does offer an alternative in the way of feuds. TNA is over-bloated with wasted and washed up talent. For Brock to work there would require a massive clear out.

As for the WWE. Cena is bigger now before their feud really got off the ground. There is the streak at WM. That would be a big lure and attraction. Again it would be finding the right feuds for him. Kane could be one of intrigue. Mark Henry and Big Show I am not so sure would draw big. A one of match with the Rock would be massive. Sheamus v Lesnar could be another good program.

Right now I am not so sure that Wrestling is the right fit for Lesnar at the moment. If Lashley and Batista returned, then I would be marking for a return.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:22 pm

Lesnar never wanted fame. He's even on record as saying it's a necessary evil for some of his goals. As far as I was aware, if Lesnar wasn't in the ring/on the field/octagon or wherever, he was nowhere to be seen.

Nice article though.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:24 pm

At this moment in time, I'd be up for Brock joining TNA! although it would kill of any bridge going back to WWE as brock would be giving the finger to vince if he joined TNA over WWE, but it works in Brocks favour to join TNA.

The schedule would be far kinder on Brock in TNA, they work 2 nights every 2 weeks for the iMPACT tapings. He would also appear at most if not all PPV's so would wrestle a total of 5 times in the month. As rightly said the roster would suite Lesner right down to the ground. Some guys you have missed off for potnetial matches would be Matt Morgan, Abyss & the underfeated Crimson. Again all of these could build up to Joe, then Hogan and finally Angle. He could with the right story's be in and out of TNA on a part time contract be done in 2 years & would leave a massive impact just like he did in his short time in WWE. At the same time the buzz of Brock would gain major interest in TNA and get the ratings up. Hopfully if anything could be sorted Brock wouldn't demand a massive salary, something affordable with what Hogan is on. Who knows Brock may never want to return to wrestling, it would be a great shame but sometimes thats how it goes

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:28 pm

Thanks for the kind feedback on the article - I was getting tired with "Hogan vs Undertaker - who is the biggest" type articles that a room full of chimps could type up.

I want to get back to the days of quality articles, followed by actual good debate.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark_Seven Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:56 pm

Would joining tna actually end any chance of a wwe return? Watched the 'Self destruction of the Ultimate Warrior' documentary last night and Vince said himself that he gave him more chances than a little because he knew he could still make money from him. Likewise, Hogan got another good WWE run after working for WCW because there was money in it. Christian, Booker and Nash have worked for tna and now are back in wwe.

And Brock may not have any interest in fighting again now, but that competitor in him is going to make it hard for him to stay away from it. I can't imagine him not gym-ing anymore and not missing the adulation from the crowd. Anyone who's ever retired from any top level sport says they miss the thrill.

Also, a bit worried about this talk of taking on Hogan in TNA. I think an F5 might finish hulk off at this point!

Mark_Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

Who said that hogan would be losing Wink

And Road Dogg has re-emerged in the E after doing all the Voodoo Kin Mafia stuff against vince, so there is always a way back.

Having said that - not many have taken Vince to court and gone back Laugh

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Essence_of_Excellence Tue 31 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

I really liked Lesnar back in the day especially with Paul Heyman as his mouth piece. The F5 was one of the most brutal looking finishers.

I resepect the guy he is a beast and I think he is one of those guys who wants to be the number 1 guy.

Would love to see him take on someone like Big Zeke in a real power house contest!

The_Essence_of_Excellence

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:34 pm

In fairness I think at this stage Brock could Cuddle in a bad way Steph while Vince and HHH looked on tied up in the corner and WWE would still welcome back with open arms. Unless someone knows something I don't I am pretty sure Lesnar is the single biggest draw in all of combat sports/entertianment but I doubt we'd see him back in WWE full time, I think the only terms he'd agree to are one or two matches per year at 7 figure pay-offs each time similar to the way he dealt in UFC.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:39 pm

Brock Lesnar v Batista - what a match that would be!!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Brock Lesnar v Batista - what a match that would be!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkvLj86MtEk thumbsup

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:55 pm

Oh right! Will check that one out later!!! Nice one!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:09 pm

Don't thank me, thank Jim Cornette, it's from there time togther in OVW

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJohnson Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

I think is a great and insightful thread and actually can see why Brock to TNA would be viable in a sense.

But I don't think Brock would consider it,because it's not worth his time or energy.

Brock would enter TNA and he would have to be booked as unstoppable,a guy that could steamroller through the entire fed and although there would be a few good matches...would it really do any good for him or TNA?

I very much doubt it...in the last few years TNA have signed Angle,Christian,Jeff Hardy,Hulk Hogan among other big names and it has done nothing for them,not in the grand scheme of things.It brought them a few more viewers and then the viewers realized the writing was rubbish and they tuned out again.

Signing Brock would just eat away more money and in the long run do them no favours.What TNA should do is concentrate on the awesome talent they have on their roster and actually make a decent wrestling show,because all the ingredients are there,

As for WWE,well I would love to see him back, but as already stated above,it would be on a very limited schedule.

Brock has stated he isn't interested in going on the road for long periods of time,and to be honest i'm not sure he is 100% in the health department after watching him in UFC.He came back after a life-threatening injury and although Overeem is the best heavyweight in the world,Lesnar didn't even look up for it.

I would question whether Lesnar could go for an extended period in WWE,because as much as I want to see him back,it would never be worth him risking his life for it.

He would certainly make a tonne of money,more than every before.Because although you say he couldn't be booked against the rising stars,I actually disagree.

Lesnar is an extremely athletic powerhouse and his matches are fast paced,even against giants like Big Show and Mark Henry.I would love to see Lesnar go up against Ziggler,CM Punk and wrestling tacticians like Bryan Danielson.I think that has all the makings of some classic bouts.

And the inevitable matches and feuds with guys like John Cena and Randy Orton would draw huge amounts of money.You could even stick Lesnar in matches with Taker or HHH as one offs and I bet they would deliver.

At the end of the day that is what it boils down to...where can Brock make the most money for as little effort as is needed?.He doesn't need to add anything to his legacy,not for me anyway.He is one of the best big men ever and should be remembered as so.If he stayed in WWE I have no doubts he would be up there as one of the greats.TNA cannot offer Brock Lesnar anything,they have no sway and no appeal.

And the answer is a return to the Titan Towers without any doubt.

JJJohnson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down