The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couldn't believe he didn't make it????

+13
Union Cane
shenglong1983
John Bloody Wayne
horizontalhero
The Galveston Giant
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Fists of Fury
tcribb
d260005p
superflyweight
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
TRUSSMAN66
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Couldn't believe he didn't make it???? Empty Couldn't believe he didn't make it????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm

We've all seen Boxers who've looked incredibly talented and just didn't make it!!! Hard to believe with all their skills they never fulfilled or seemed to fulfil their potential.....

1. Tyrone Crawley - Quick, great footwork.....beautiful combinations....Lost to Bramble and became a cop!!

2. Herol Graham - Own worst enemy!!!

3. Tony Tubbs - Well suppose he held the WBA title for a little while..Fastest heavy hands ever, quality footwork.....lost to the fridge..

Three guys who I was stunned didn't do more...

Hilton at 154 as well.....and Kelcie Banks

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Couldn't believe he didn't make it???? Empty Re: Couldn't believe he didn't make it????

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

Audley?!?

Possibly Frankie Gavin as well.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Couldn't believe he didn't make it???? Empty Re: Couldn't believe he didn't make it????

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

Francesco Bojado is the one that always amazes me, when he turned pro was talked of as a future P4P guy and was considered a lock to be a mega star, for him to not even manage to get a world title, particularly in the modern era is staggering.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

Audley?!?

Really? I thought it was fairly clear from Audley's Olympic performances that he wasn't suited to the professional game. Even then he looked scared anytime someone threw a punch in his direction.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:02 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Audley?!?

Really? I thought it was fairly clear from Audley's Olympic performances that he wasn't suited to the professional game. Even then he looked scared anytime someone threw a punch in his direction.

I never saw his amateur days but from his success and the hype at the time I gathered everyone expected a lot more? Anyway, the guy turned out rubbish!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:24 pm

Always thought Scott harrison had a great allround game..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

Bob Arum? Smile

In all seriousness, id agree with Audley shout.

Id also go along with Frankie Gavin as well.

Possibly De Gale in the future?

Another shout would be Sutherland. Never knew what happened there apart from the obvious. Just shocking really but seemed a class act.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:43 pm

Frankie Gavin??? Is a kid with the future ahead of him..........

Premature me thinks..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Frankie Gavin??? Is a kid with the future ahead of him..........

Premature me thinks..

It's 3 1/2 years since his Olymimpic shambles, 27 this year and still cocking things up so he has previous!

I admit his career isn't over and could have 10 good years left but I get the feeling he won't achieve what most thought?

Last edited by Valero's Conscience on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

He does need a kick up the butt......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:50 pm

Howard Davis Jnr would be the obvious for me, wonderful amateur pedigree and without doubt still the fastest hand speed I've seen, gold medalist looked a shoo in for potential up there with the likes of Leonard at the time, ultimately achieved very little in terms of his talent.

More obscure one closer to home Pat Barrett, had dynamite left hook looked the business and i thought he might have operated at elite world level and even possibly competed, surprised he lost to the gate keeper Manning Galloway and never seem to feature again.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

What a good call Howard davis jr....

Think he held the record for most punches thrown in a round at one time..

Another one who was his own worst enemy!!

15 seconds from the title against Rosario!!

Sugar ray seales??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

Good article, Truss.

How about Meldrick Taylor, to an extent?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:06 pm

Yeah think you're right Truss, lost the decision and seemed to spiral into obscurity, shame really considering the class he oozed.

Seales is a good shout for natural talent another waste of potential.

How about Olympian David Reid ? Sacrificed against Tito and seemed absolutely ruined, does anyone think he had longevity in him if he never faced the wrecking machine Trinidad at the time ? I know he had problems regarding his eyelid but Im not sure if it was career threatening or not?
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

David Reid is interesting...I'll be honest I didn't think he was a future great or anything but he could certainly have been handled better!!

Certainly should have attained WORLD status....

Andrew Maynard was a surprise.....American captain in Seoul......Figured he could beat a shot Bobby Chyz!!

Meldrick......Don't know fists ??? But what I do know is he should never have been chucked in with Norris!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:15 pm

tcribb wrote:Yeah think you're right Truss, lost the decision and seemed to spiral into obscurity, shame really considering the class he oozed.

Seales is a good shout for natural talent another waste of potential.

How about Olympian David Reid ? Sacrificed against Tito and seemed absolutely ruined, does anyone think he had longevity in him if he never faced the wrecking machine Trinidad at the time ? I know he had problems regarding his eyelid but Im not sure if it was career threatening or not?

I think Reid was always on borrowed time to be honest with that sagging eyelid. But putting him in with puncher like Trinidad was suicide. Although he did give a good account of himself early in the fight. I think he ended up with a retina damage which was always going to be a career ender.

I always felt that Vargas was matched too hard for someone so young. Could could even say Trinidad finished him aswell, dont think he won a big fight again.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:19 pm

Maynrd is a terrific shout, he seemed gun-shy as a pro possibly as you mentioned being humbled by Bobby Cycz had something to attribute towards that.

Taylor was one I considered Fists, but i think he showed enough of his talent in patches the Chavez fight was as good as a performance you'll see bar the suicidal tactics taken latter in the fight, showed only patches of his glorious form after that fight, as Truss mentioned the Norris fight is particularly painful viewing, what on earth were the Duvas on? sacrificing Taylor to big heavy punching on form Norris. Awful matchmaking
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:22 pm

Yes good point Soldier, Vargas is interesting considering fights against Wright, Quartey and Trinidad within a year is quite something for a young kid, with Vargas i was always worried his head was too stationary and wouldve been found out against a concussive puncher, as he was against Tito but sterling performance from a pup, considering Trinidad was a phenomenon and the time,
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 01 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

Joan Guzman.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm

Vargas is a tricky one, was a fairly well kept secret his lifestyle was not great between fights so is possible his handlers realised he was unlikely to have much in the way of longevity so figured on matching him tough whilst and making their money before he faded.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:35 pm

Think Vargas was probably a little short in the way of attribution ........

Not outstanding for me...

Ryan Rhodes....Rowley??

must be close..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

He is worth a shout truss, never thought he would be a mega star but when he first emerged if you had said 15 years on he would never have held a world title of any form not sure you'd have found too many people in agreement with you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:50 pm

rowley wrote:He is worth a shout truss, never thought he would be a mega star but when he first emerged if you had said 15 years on he would never have held a world title of any form not sure you'd have found too many people in agreement with you.

Ryan Rhodes is a good shout, I feel that he has become a better boxer with age.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:34 am

Though he was a two time world champ Mark Breland never reached the heights that were predicted for him , closer to home Colin McMillan- I really thought that he was boxings next big thing when he won the British title, and he looked great when he won the WBO strap, but injuries plagued him and he never recovered his form after losing to that South Amercian that whose name I can't remember. Real shame, I for one was convinced that he was destined for greatness

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:53 am

No mention of Zab Judah yet?

Crazy fast hands, great reflexes, power and balance yet lacked that mentality. Often looked on the verge of tears when things went against him and looked for the easy way out too often.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

Martin Rogan. Nuff said.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:19 pm

Sheng, may as well try and be nice but this ain't the old 606, if you're going to start with the nonsensical nationalism thing you will get banned and quickly, you've aldready had comments deleted on the Fury thread, would save everyone a lot of time and hassle if you either stopped with it now or sodded off to be honest.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

Could we stay on topic without bringing nationality into it please, otherwise it's going to get messy round here.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:12 pm

Jeff, thanks for that. I'd suggest reading his post again, Sheng.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

Or we could talk about boxing, given that is the purpose of the forum. Am sure there are chat rooms where people who just want to banter with each other out there, similarly am sure there are forums out there where the topic of Irish Nationalism can be discussed ad nauseum, however this is neither of those places.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 02 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

I've cleaned this up, guys. Now, may normal service resume.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:50 pm

It didn't take Sheng-long did it?

McMillan is a very good shout. Had all the skills but from reading a book by his manager, he appears to have lacked the heart and application to really push himself to the limit of his abilities.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 02 Feb 2012, 4:30 pm

I think Alex Arthur to a degree,looked the business right up to the Gomez fight then the wheels came off.

He never progressed the way I thought he would, and was given his world title rather than earn it in the ring and lost it in his first defence.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Feb 2012, 5:11 pm

I thought Arthur would go further than he did, he never seemed to get out of the amateur upright style too well and think he chopped and changed trainers a bit too frequently to settle on a style or get any kind of momentum going, pity because like you nico I rated him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 02 Feb 2012, 5:21 pm

Kevin Mitchell looks set to join the group of guys who should have done more. He has a very good all round game when he puts it together.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 6:46 pm

Errol Christie looked a sure fire cert to win the big one. Had everything. Excellent movement, thunderous punch, very good combination puncher and very smooth and fluid. Even went to detroit to train in the Kronk gym and wore the yellow shorts.

Pity he had a chin of glass.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We've all seen Boxers who've looked incredibly talented and just didn't make it!!! Hard to believe with all their skills they never fulfilled or seemed to fulfil their potential.....

1. Tyrone Crawley - Quick, great footwork.....beautiful combinations....Lost to Bramble and became a cop!!

2. Herol Graham - Own worst enemy!!!

3. Tony Tubbs - Well suppose he held the WBA title for a little while..Fastest heavy hands ever, quality footwork.....lost to the fridge..

Three guys who I was stunned didn't do more...

Hilton at 154 as well.....and Kelcie Banks

Crawley didn't have a punch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

Whittaker didn't either......so what????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:32 pm

bellchees wrote:Kevin Mitchell looks set to join the group of guys who should have done more. He has a very good all round game when he puts it together.

Have to disagree with that one. Im not a big fan of the cockney wide boy but he only has the one loss and plenty of time to have a successful career. His victory over Murray showed he still has the potential to be world class

Im quite gutted how Gavin Rees career has gone. People will say im being biased but the guy has clearly had talent and no one can tell me any different. He has beaten everyone he has faced (and looked quite impressive) apart from Kotelnyk and if he had actually bothered to get into shape for that he wouldnt has gassed so late on. Im not saying he was ever gonna be a legend of the sport but had he got into shape earlier in his career and stayed away from trouble outside the ring her certainly could have gone futher than what he has until now. I hope its not too late for him and a fight with Mitchell, Murray or Burns is not out of the question

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:48 pm

Much truth to what you say Steffy..

Mitchell is probably coming off his best win........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Much truth to what you say Steffy..

Mitchell is probably coming off his best win........

I assume you were disgarding the Gavin Rees bit though Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:56 pm

Gavin Rees is an over-achiever mate....and kudos to him for being one!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Gavin Rees is an over-achiever mate....and kudos to him for being one!!

I disagree. But he has shown poor ambition over the last 3 years so I cant complain at people writing him off as an over-achiever when he has made no attempt to prove this stereotypical view of him wrong

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Whittaker didn't either......so what????

Crawley had 3 KO's in his career. I think that held him back somewhat. Pernell at least had over 40% KO ratio.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

22-2 (7)...31.4 %...........Don't mislead...you're always doing it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:22-2 (7)...31.4 %...........Don't mislead...you're always doing it..

Crawley had as many KOs as that?

Plus he fought in an era where there were very good LWs around. Bramble was very good. So was Rosario, Mancini. Haugen and others. Good era for LWs.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:17 pm

Whittaker was 36% by the way!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Whittaker was 36% by the way!!

That's because Pernell moved up in weight. What was his KO ratio at LW? Probably around the 50% mark I'd reckon.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:26 pm

You said he had 40% ...I put you right..

Show some humility Mate!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You said he had 40% ...I put you right..

Show some humility Mate!! Cool

You're funny. Are you from Boston by any chance? WHat I'm showing is that Whittaker had a fair dig at his correct weight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next