The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Team (Announced) vs Wales - 6Nations 2012 Round 1

+38
andy powells minder
SecretFly
BlueMuff
maestegmafia
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
Standulstermen
Knowsit17
Thomond
gowales
RubyGuby
BlueNote
munkian
Feckless Rogue
dublin_dave
Sin é
ME-109
1F'sgonnagetya!
Gretgael1
mankiaow
TycroesOsprey
wales606
Mickado
WillyGilly
Notch
mickyt
debaters1
rodders
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
valjester
red_stag
eirebilly
geoff998rugby
Gibson
caoimhincentre
MMC
42 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ireland Team (Announced) vs Wales - 6Nations 2012 Round 1 - Page 8 Empty Ireland Team (Announced) vs Wales - 6Nations 2012 Round 1

Post by MMC Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here we go...

IRELAND Team & Replacements (v Wales, RBS 6 Nations Championship 2012, Aviva Stadium, Sunday, February 5th, kick-off 3pm):

15 -Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) Captain
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 -Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
19 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

*Denotes uncapped player

ORIGINAL: So the Declan Kidney will be naming his team to face Wales at lunchtime today. In preparation for complete meltdown of 606v2 as is customary for all Ireland team selections I suggest that we keep everything to one thread, namely here.

I'm assuming this one will be broadcast live on irishrugby.ie and as such, I'll be posting that link here before the announcement is made.

Helmets at the ready folks, this could get ugly. boxing angel

Last edited by MMC on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 1:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Ireland Team (Announced) vs Wales - 6Nations 2012 Round 1 - Page 8 Empty Re: Ireland Team (Announced) vs Wales - 6Nations 2012 Round 1

Post by rodders Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:43 am

Newbie what you have spouted is the biggest load of nonsence I've ever read...will since Sin E's last post anyway.

Sexton is arguably the best attacking fly half in World rugby right now, certainly the best in Europe. He has pace, power, vision, great hands and maybe the best short passing game around.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Ireland Team (Announced) vs Wales - 6Nations 2012 Round 1 - Page 8 Empty Re: Ireland Team (Announced) vs Wales - 6Nations 2012 Round 1

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:50 am

Sorry eire and newbie. Shouldn't have took a shot at Munster fans. I just type without counting to ten sometimes. I love Munster really. Just can't stop getting into arguments over me man-crush on Sexton.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:52 am

Are you now refeering to me newbie?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:55 am

I have no idea why i am getting dragged into this. I sure as hell didnt demand blood as i feel that every person has their own views and is entitled to them.

I simply said that Sexton has pace, excellent pace for a 10 infact.

I agreed that he hasnt shown it for Ireland...... yet. I feel very confident he will though.

Personally, even as a Munster fan, i feel a lot better with Sexton starting.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:00 am

I'm disappointed at the amount of tries Paul O'Connell scores! Downright unsettling for a Captain to be leading by such a bad example. More pace, Paul.... or some folk's'll start saying you're good but not technically 'fantastically good'.

And we know how long a bible that mouthful is when they get going. So, chop, chop - Paul.... let's see the contrails this year.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:04 am

laughing Fly.

How dare you say our POC has no pace... he is lightning quick. He is just yet to show it for Ireland Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:13 am

roddersm wrote:Newbie what you have spouted is the biggest load of nonsence I've ever read...will since Sin E's last post anyway.

Sexton is arguably the best attacking fly half in World rugby right now, certainly the best in Europe. He has pace, power, vision, great hands and maybe the best short passing game around.

Fair dues rodders, sin knows his rugby and can back up his claims. He is a true passionate fan though and even he secretly knows what Sexton brings and wants him to start Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:35 am

newbie wrote:
Couldnt agree with you more.....

well done one more example from maybe 3 years ago (you must have spent all night looking for that one)...and now the repeat question of what I thought the debate was about to hide the inadequecies of your own opinion.

You said originally that Sexton would bring a lot more pace to the attack for Ireland, and then want on to say he had fantastic pace. The evidence clearly shows that for Ireland this has not been the case in the past. Secondly you went on to say he has fantastic pace. The evidence is there that he has not got fantastic amazing pace at all.

You had an opinion you have no evidence that Sexton has amazing pace, except for bit parts for Leinster and certainly not for Ireland. This is clear when compared with a player who has amazing pace like Madigan as an example...take your beating like a man Very Happy

Feckless - I am not a Munster supporter, and I dont particularly care about a discussion on sextons pace (I just dont think he is known for this part of his game). I made a passing comment on it and suggested that there were other areas of Sextons game that were inconsistent and that I would like to see him take his chance this weekend and silence the doubters - including myself as I am not convinced. Apparently the comment on Sextons pace was an afront to some and they demanded blood. There is the answer....

Lol what beating,look over this entire thread not one person agrees with your point of view,now maybe you should start to question why that is?

I've given you 2 clips of evidence and someone else has shown another one,so what's the number where you'll be happy?

Now you just told me what you thought the debate was and you have only talked about Sextons pace so I don't see why you were trying to change the subject so much earlier except for the fact that you knew you were wrong but couldn't admit it.

I'm not really interested in continuing this as despite all the evidence and opinions from numerous posters you have dug your heels in and won't ever change your mind now.It's a real sign of inadequacy when you won't listen to any opinion but your own.

Last edited by asoreleftshoulder on Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:44 am

I leave ye alone for a short while and this is what happens... Wink

I'd be in agreement with those who say that Sexton has very good pace for an outhalf. I don't see why there's a need for the counter-argument of "ya, but is he as fast as any of our wingers?". Sean Cronin is fast for a hooker but I wouldn't stick him on the wing either.

I want Sexton to have a stormer on Sunday. It's about time that he forces Kidney to say, "Johnny, you are my no.1 outhalf". ROG still has a big part to play for Ireland but from the bench, IMO. Besides, being tasked with either changing a game or closing one out is still an important task in itself.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

Ha ha...you wanted a discussion on whether Sexton had fantastic pace. He has pace but you commented that his was amazing and that the injection of pace into the Ireland backline would make all the difference. Its clear from the past (he has played 24 times for IReland) that this has not been a factor and while twice in the last three years he has shown some turn of foot it is not a major thing he is known for...evidence shows otherwise...

I have no problem with your own opinion but you insisted on attempting this childish belittleing approach and now when the evidence put to you otherwise you start bleating and deciding you dont want to debate this any further while you initiated this complete and utter waste of my time and most of the people on here...

Anyway besides this numpty let me be clear to others on a couple of things....

Do I think Sexton is the best outhalf option we have - YES.
Do I think he is fast - YES - but it is not a major aspect of his game, he is NOT slow, but he has not demonstrated particularly for Ireland or consistently for LEinster that this is a major part of his game.
Do I want him to do well? - FFS of course I do. But he has inconsistencies in his game especially when playing for Ireland. The 6ns is as good a time as any to prove his doubters wrong and take ownership of the jersey and for us not to have O'Gara come on......

However and this is taking what others have posted..he is the same as any other player in terms of his being given a chance, if he doesnt take it or we end up relying on O'Gara we need to start identifying other options.

What in gods name is controversial about that!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:18 am

Just heard Earls has been withdrawn, McFadden to 13, D Kearney 22... Massive opportunity for McF! But not confirmed... This is from Harpin On Rugby!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Just heard Earls has been withdrawn, McFadden to 13, D Kearney 22... Massive opportunity for McF! But not confirmed... This is from Harpin On Rugby!

What? I damn well hope not...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:25 am

Earls hadn't trained this week due to a number of things I believe so maybe not that suprising... Still massive game needed from D'Arcy and McF, Leinster 10, 12, 13... Expect a few Leinster loops!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:25 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
The backrow battle will be even enough,I think the vital area is 10-12-13 where you killed us last time.This time we've got Sexton and Earls which gives us a lot more pace on attack and while we lose the best defender in the game at 13 we also lose one of the worst at 10.I think the Welsh injury problems are really tipping the balance of this match in our favour,it's a pity as I'd like to see us up against the best Wales have to offer.

This was my first post which you replied to,I defy you to point out where I said his pace was amazing (although it is top class) or that it would make all the difference.I quite clearly said that both Sexton and Earls gave us much more pace on attack and that the Welsh injury problems were giving us an advantage.

Stop making things up just because you can't win the argument.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:26 am

Here are your other options straight in from head office:

1. Sexton
2. Sexton
3. Sexton
4. Sexton
5. Sexton - if he speeds up a bit

Bluff and bluster as much as we like; and try to say we're not actaully saying what's been printed - we all know it's the gameplan that needs changing, not our most attacking orientated outhalf on-this-island.

If there is a better one? - Name him. If you can name him, it's a damn cert, to use the lingo that get's used so often here - it's a damn cert he "isn't ready yet".

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Just heard Earls has been withdrawn, McFadden to 13, D Kearney 22... Massive opportunity for McF! But not confirmed... This is from Harpin On Rugby!

Bad news if correct,whatever reservations I have about Earls as a 13 are magnified with McFadden.He's a class 12 but doesn't ever stand out when he plays OC as far as I can see.

We'll need him to be a lot more solid in defence than he has been in the past.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

Is Earl out! Shocked ...feck I wish I hadn't been winding up the Welsh so much!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:29 am

newbie wrote:
Do I think he is fast - YES - but it is not a major aspect of his game, he is NOT slow, but he has not demonstrated particularly for Ireland or consistently for LEinster that this is a major part of his game.

This quote is just braindead,anyone who has watched Leinster will disagree with you on that.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

newbie wrote:Ha ha...you wanted a discussion on whether Sexton had fantastic pace. He has pace but you commented that his was amazing and that the injection of pace into the Ireland backline would make all the difference. Its clear from the past (he has played 24 times for IReland) that this has not been a factor and while twice in the last three years he has shown some turn of foot it is not a major thing he is known for...evidence shows otherwise...

I have no problem with your own opinion but you insisted on attempting this childish belittleing approach and now when the evidence put to you otherwise you start bleating and deciding you dont want to debate this any further while you initiated this complete and utter waste of my time and most of the people on here...

Anyway besides this numpty let me be clear to others on a couple of things....

Do I think Sexton is the best outhalf option we have - YES.
Do I want him to do well? - FFS of course I do. But he has inconsistencies in his game especially when playing for Ireland. The 6ns is as good a time as any to prove his doubters wrong and take ownership of the jersey and for us not to have O'Gara come on......

However and this is taking what others have posted..he is the same as any other player in terms of his being given a chance, if he doesnt take it or we end up relying on O'Gara we need to start identifying other options.

What in gods name is controversial about that!!!!!!!!

Very enjoyable discussion this morning.....not sure I agree with you as I think we will unfortunately need O'Gara. However you have gone against the tide and the stepford wives on here. Also the numpty laughing will continue to go on about this ad nauseum..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

I'm glad someone can still afford the expensive dental work.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:47 am

heard earls is out also due to his mrs having a kid or something like that. its a blow alright.

i would be inclined to call up O Malley, I just dont see Mc Fadden as a 13. He has not played well there for Leinster any time i have seen him

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:51 am

Hasn't he (and his wife of course!) had that kid a few days ago? Not exactly a shock that's just landed on his front porch like those stork-order ones.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:56 am

SecretFly wrote:Hasn't he (and his wife of course!) had that kid a few days ago? Not exactly a shock that's just landed on his front porch like those stork-order ones.

Fly, I hope I'm wrong but I worry that something might have happened to one or the other and that may be what has caused Keith to drop out of the team... I really hope I'm wrong but that's just my suspicion...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:01 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Fly, I hope I'm wrong but I worry that something might have happened to one or the other and that may be what has caused Keith to drop out of the team... I really hope I'm wrong but that's just my suspicion...

I was assuming this was a humourous wum... but I know you wouldn't use that scenario for a joke. When did you hear this?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:03 pm

Would now be a good time for me to re-enter the debate about how average Sexton is..... Very Happy <run> lol

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:07 pm

SecretFly wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Fly, I hope I'm wrong but I worry that something might have happened to one or the other and that may be what has caused Keith to drop out of the team... I really hope I'm wrong but that's just my suspicion...

I was assuming this was a humourous wum... but I know you wouldn't use that scenario for a joke. When did you hear this?

I am just wondering as to why he would have been named in the team if he was going to go off on paternity... I am just voicing what my gut is telling me and what Harpin was saying on Facebook... I think that family comes first and even if there is nothing wrong I think it's better he spends time with his family than worrying and not concentrating fully on the game...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:09 pm

BlueMuff wrote:Would now be a good time for me to re-enter the debate about how average Sexton is..... Very Happy <run> lol

Not really since there was no debate about that. thumbsup

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:11 pm

..He might be only average ...and in truth, I suppose we numpties have to put our hands up when found out with the old shop-soiled and moth-eaten stat attacks....

He probably is average - but no other outhalf in Ireland is 'fantastically' average. So he'd still make the team on that alone! WeyHeyHey!!!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:44 pm

Bowe should play at 13 and McFadden or Kearney on the wing.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:45 pm

Balls. Earls out is a massive loss to Wales.

Advantage Ireland.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm

Bowe at 13 is a good option, but isn't Kearney wasted on the wing?

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:51 pm

BlueNote wrote:Bowe at 13 is a good option, but isn't Kearney wasted on the wing?

I meant Kearney Jr. I don't think Earls is a big loos in the center. He's a winger.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Bowe should play at 13 and McFadden or Kearney on the wing.

We may see Tommy in attack at 13 but expect him to face up to North in defence... Don't rate McF versus North.....
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:58 pm

In the set pieces i also agree that we will see Bowe move into 13.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:04 pm

11 Leinster players in the 22. Oh yesh. Cohesion at last. All they have to do now is to ignore Elmer and we are home and dry.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:10 pm

Feel a lot less happy with McFadden at 13. Not just as confident as I was..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

Wish Keith and his family the best at theis difficult time. McFadden needs to take his chance. It's funny how a gew weeks ago nobody wanted Earls there but now....

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:15 pm

Ah I think nobody wanted him at 13 (well I didn't) when Cave was fit but after that he's the best option we have,unfortunate but really not important in the grand scheme.
Hope his daughter gets well quickly.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:15 pm

Thomond wrote:Wish Keith and his family the best at theis difficult time. McFadden needs to take his chance. It's funny how a gew weeks ago nobody wanted Earls there but now....

I hope his kid is OK. But I'm not that bothered that he won't be playing 13.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:18 pm

I put myself in that category. I have been too critical of Earls' distribution skills, when really it is something that can be improved over time. I am excited for when BOD returns to see BOD-Earls pair up as our centres.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:18 pm

McFadden has a couple of blips at international level at 13 and I'm not convinced that's his best position. On paper it's clearly adv Wales through the centres. We just need McFadden to take this chance. If he doesn't it could be a while before he gets another one.

Best of luck fergus!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:20 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:
Thomond wrote:Wish Keith and his family the best at theis difficult time. McFadden needs to take his chance. It's funny how a gew weeks ago nobody wanted Earls there but now....

I hope his kid is OK. But I'm not that bothered that he won't be playing 13.

You will be by Sunday 4.45.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:24 pm

Well that puts rugby in perspective if reading between the lines tells me all is not well with the Earl's child?
I hope it's a cloud that rises quickly if so.

Time for someone else to prove (like so many Welsh players seem to do) that International performances can often outshine club/provincial. People worried about McFadden,if picked? Well, the game is stacked with worries that's why it should be a good one. One more ingredient might turn critics into fans for some.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:08 pm

I don't understand people trying to get Bowe to 13 when we have good enough players playing 13 regularly. McFadden will do as good a job as Bowe could.

Players should play in their own position, thats how you get the best out of them.

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:12 pm

No... I personally think even Bowe would be jumpy about 13. I think in his mind he's prepared himself to play the game he intended to play - on the wing.

Happy to see Dave Kearney dragged in.... fate seems to be fast-tracking him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

What do you guys think of baby Kearney getting the bench spot.
It's great to see Kidney having the faith in both Kearney and O'Mahoney we could be seeing two big international careers starting on sunday.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

Both Kearney Jr. and O'Mahoney have looked the for their clubs. I reckon both are capable for international rugby.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:19 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Both Kearney Jr. and O'Mahoney have looked the for their clubs. I reckon both are capable for international rugby.

I have special plans for Kearney, Feckless...and they are bit by bit beginning to unfold.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

Kearney Jr is in form so I'm happy to see him there, anyone in form should be around the team/squad.

1F'sgonnagetya!

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm

Best wishes to the Earles family. Hope that all goes well.

Still think that its going to be a close match on Sunday.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next