The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Women v Wales Women, Match Thread, teams etc....

+2
KiaRose
HERSH
6 posters

Go down

Ireland Women v Wales Women, Match Thread, teams etc.... Empty Ireland Women v Wales Women, Match Thread, teams etc....

Post by HERSH Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

Ireland Women v Wales Women

I'm confused the 6 nations website has this down as a Friday 3rd Feb but in some of the articles it says 5th?

Ireland No. 8 Joy Neville is itching! To get started on the 2012 RBS 6 Nations - but that doesn't mean she's expecting an easy ride in their opening clash with Wales.
Neville starts in an experienced back row alongside Laura Guest and Claire Molloy for the match on February 5.
The squad unveiled for the Wales clash sees a mix of youth and experience in the Ireland camp with full-back Ashleigh Baxter and lock Sophie Spence both earning their first caps. And Neville admits she can’t wait to see how the new blend of Irish talent comes together.

“All the training leading up to it has been really exciting and to put that jersey on, there is no better feeling to be honest,” said the back rower, capped 58 times by her country.

“Any time we play in the Six Nations will be a challenge but I’m really looking forward to playing Wales.

“Wales is always a very hard tie. They are very strong and play with a lot of heart when they play against the likes of us.”

Ireland lost out to Wales in an agonising 15-14 away defeat in the 2011 tournament and Neville knows her side are in for a fight on Friday.

But Ireland will have home advantage this time around and despite losing their two games at Ashbourne last season, Neville is supremely confident about being on home soil.

Discuss.

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Ireland Women v Wales Women, Match Thread, teams etc.... Empty Re: Ireland Women v Wales Women, Match Thread, teams etc....

Post by KiaRose Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:36 am

IRELAND WOMEN'S Team & Replacements (v Wales Women, RBS Women's 6 Nations Championship, Ashbourne RFC, Friday, February 3, kick-off 7.30pm):

15. Ashleigh Baxter (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *
14. Niamh Kavanagh (UL Bohemians/Munster)
13. Niamh Briggs (UL Bohemians/Munster)
12. Grace Davitt (Cooke/Ulster)
11. Alison Miller (Portlaoise/Highfield/Connacht)
10. Lynne Cantwell (Exile)
9. Amy Davis (Blackrock/Leinster)
1. Fiona Coghlan (UL Bohemians/Leinster) (capt)
2. Gillian Bourke (UL Bohemians/Munster)
3. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
4. Marie Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
5. Sophie Spence (Exile) *
6. Laura Guest (Highfield/Munster)
7. Claire Molloy (Bristol/Exile)
8. Joy Neville (UL Bohemians/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Paula Fitzpatrick (St. Mary's/Leinster) *
17. Ruth O'Reilly (Galwegians/Connacht) *
18. Siobhan Fleming (Tralee/Munster) *
19. Heather O'Brien (Highfield/Munster)
20. Larissa Muldoon (Exile/UWIC/Ulster)
21. Nikki Caughey (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *
22. AN Other

* = uncapped player

Wales Women v Ireland Women , Friday 3rd Feb, Ashbourne RFC, KO 7.30pm

1. Caryl Thomas
2. Rhian Bowden
3. Jenny Davies
4. Vicky Owens
5. Shona Powell Hughes
6. Sioned Harries
7. Rachel Taylor (Capt)
8. Jamie Kift
9. Laura Prosser
10. Naomi Thomas
11. Rosie Fletcher
12. Adi Taviner
13. Philippa Tuttiett
14. Charlie Murray
15. Mared Evans

Replacements:
16. Lowri Harries
17. Megan York
18. Sian Williams
19. Clare Flowers
20. Amy Day
21. Rebecca De Filippo
22. Caryl James

Unfortunately WRU site does not say which clubs the Wales players are with.

Entry to the game is 20 euros.

Neither Wales nor Ireland have played a competitive match since last 6Ns which makes this game difficult to predict, but although Ireland lost both games at hime last year - maybe it is time for their fortunes to change.

Last years final standings were
P W L D PF PA PD Pts
1 England 5 5 0 0 223 8 215 10
2 France 5 4 0 1 113 51 62 8
3 Ireland 5 2 0 3 74 70 4 4
4 Wales 5 2 0 3 64 72 -8 4
5 Italy 5 2 0 3 68 130 -62 4
6 Scotland 5 0 0 5 20 231 -211 0

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Ireland Women v Wales Women, Match Thread, teams etc.... Empty Re: Ireland Women v Wales Women, Match Thread, teams etc....

Post by HERSH Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:26 am

Cheers for that good to someone taking an interest.

Rugby is rugby at the end of the day.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 03 Feb 2012, 9:33 am

I only really know about the England and some of the Scots women.
My understanding is that Wales should be the favourites here. But the teams are fairly well matched.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:29 am

Propdavid
I think England are the standout favourites for this. As has been said elsewhere, they have 4recently beaten NZ in a series and if there were rankings, England would probably be No. 1.

All the other 6Ns are really playing catch-up.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:31 am

Swing low sweet chariot....
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:32 am

KiaRose - Oh, definately England are favorites for teh tournament.
I meant that Wales were the favorite vs Ireland.

France women have shown that they can front up vs. England before. Recent results have been very close - especially when in poor conditions.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:22 pm

propdavid_london wrote:KiaRose - Oh, definately England are favorites for teh tournament.
I meant that Wales were the favorite vs Ireland.

France women have shown that they can front up vs. England before. Recent results have been very close - especially when in poor conditions.

OK David, my misunderstanding - and I agree with you about France, but still think Ireland will win tonight.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 03 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

Fair enough Kia - like I said, i dont know many of the welsh/irish girls. I was just going on the articles that I read on the 6N website. re: Irish lack of preparation time - but I suppose that is countered with a group of players that proably know each other quite well.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

Comment on Scrum V after the U-20s match:
Ireland women 10 Wales women 3 at half-time; match abandoned due to frozen pitch.

Ireland deemed to have won.

Needless to say I cannot find any confirmation of this result anywhere on the web - I will have another look tomorrow.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 04 Feb 2012, 12:21 am

Says on the beeb it'll have to be replayed.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 04 Feb 2012, 12:37 am

Shouldn't they play the remaining 40 minutes from the current scoreline? They can make all the ladies run around the pitch for 40 minutes beforehand to simulate the fatigue.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 04 Feb 2012, 12:45 am

Sounds fair enough but I don't think I've ever heard a case of people having the option to attend half a game! Not sure I can imagine anyone wanting to.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 04 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Sounds fair enough but I don't think I've ever heard a case of people having the option to attend half a game! Not sure I can imagine anyone wanting to.

Maybe if there was an open invite to spend the lost second half in the baths with the girls afterwards? kiss
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down