The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand Under-20s v Wales Under-20s (Teams/Match thread)

+43
gelodge
slartibartfast
thebluesmancometh
aucklandlaurie
HammerofThunor
WWosprey
RDW
Hood83
Welshmushroom
sugarNspikes
majesticimperialman
MarcusHalberstram
dogtooth
Dorothy_Mantooth
Hound_of_Harrow
thomh
emack2
mckay1402
Smirnoffpriest
timhen
kiakahaaotearoa
Cymroglan
GavinDragon
yappysnap
munkian
profitius
Barney McGrew did it
chewed_mintie
CurlyOsp
Shifty
TycroesOsprey
Ospreydragon
wales606
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Islingtonv2
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
RubyGuby
maestegmafia
BigTrevsbigmac
Taylorman
blackcanelion
Morgannwg
47 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

New Zealand Under-20s  v  Wales Under-20s (Teams/Match thread) Empty New Zealand Under-20s v Wales Under-20s (Teams/Match thread)

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:20 am

Baby Blacks - Marty McKenzie, Matt Proctor, Marnus Hanley, Opetera Peleseuma, Junior Va'a Tofa, Scott Eade, Bryn Hall, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Nathan Harris, Eric Sione, Joe Latta, Christian Lloyd, Taniela Manu, Hugh Blake, Jordan Taufua. Replacements - Rhys Marshall, Tuki Raimona, Fraser Armstrong, Nick Ross, Jimmy Tupou, Jono Kitto, Ihaia West, Pita Ahki.

Wales - Ross Jones, Tom Prydie, Cory Allen, Jack Dixon, Eli Walker, Matthew Morgan, Tom Habberfield, Rob Evans, Kirby Myhill, Samson Lee, Cory Hill, Matthew Screech, Luke Hamilton, Ellis Jenkins, Dan Baker. Replacements - Darran Harris, Gareth Thomas, Will John, Rhodri Hughes, Daniel Thomas, Jonothan Evans, Sam Davies, Thomas Pascoe.

* Well probably the best Wales U20s team of the year. A lot of pace in the backline behind a big, strong pack. Shouldn't be a massacre this time then...
Each player is tied to a premiership team and should have been getting regular game time. Others have played in the LV cup for their Regions, Pro12 and in some cases the Heineken Cup. Capped international Prydie and Tom Habberfield have played for Wales in the IRB Sevens Series and showed up very well. I think Ponty 2nd row Cory Hill is the captain, he has looked pretty handy in the games I've seen him play. Each need to show up well and overcome any psychological barrier if they are to stay within reach of New Zealands school-boys. Good luck boyo's.

** Baby Blacks undefeated for 5 years fall to U20 Six Nations fourth placed Wales. Well done boyo's. Complete turnaround from previous years. Still don't agree with the 14 players not being released for that Six Nations though.

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 8:27 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : 1; Edited to include additional info. 2; Edited to include final score and mini write-up.)
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Under-20s  v  Wales Under-20s (Teams/Match thread) Empty Re: New Zealand Under-20s v Wales Under-20s (Teams/Match thread)

Post by blackcanelion Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:13 am

I'm always surprised we are so competative at age group level when we are so disadvantaged compared with our 6 nation opposition.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Under-20s  v  Wales Under-20s (Teams/Match thread) Empty Re: New Zealand Under-20s v Wales Under-20s (Teams/Match thread)

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:18 am

Disadvantaged how? True you don't have an U20 tri-nations to compete in. NZ must be doing something right seeing as they have thrashed every single team they have played since 2008.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:31 am

I'm not saying we haven't done well. It's just this is in spite of having no equivent of regular international age group competitions that occur in Europe. You guys seem to have age group "tests" for a range of ages and even have 6 nations age group tournements. I'm jealous, I wish we had an equivlent.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 08 Jun 2012, 4:32 am

Yeah thats why we know so little about our team till this event unless they're playing ITM or sxv. Its all club or school rugby they'll be playing but looking at some of the school stuff on Rugby channel I can see why we put out the teams we do...amazing size and talent in the 15-18 age group...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 08 Jun 2012, 5:50 am

Morgannwg wrote:Disadvantaged how? True you don't have an U20 tri-nations to compete in. NZ must be doing something right seeing as they have thrashed every single team they have played since 2008.

Actually last years final 33-22 v England saw the Baby Blacks pushed all the way three tries a piece. It was down the the kicking boots of Anscombe that was the difference. Great game.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 6:40 am

England, SA and NZ have the best inter schools championships by a country mile, they have had for years. It is the envy of every school boy outside of those nations I am sure.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:27 am

I dont know a lot about either team but is Wales likely to have a good chance with this one? Starts in a few hours.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:33 am

Taylorman wrote:I dont know a lot about either team but is Wales likely to have a good chance with this one? Starts in a few hours.

If Wales can keep within 20 points of the Baby Blacks that will be a small achievement - That's being realistic not pessimistic thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:43 am

England, SA and NZ have the best inter schools championships by a country mile

In England you have to be pretty privaliged to see any of those inter schools tournaments. Despite being in the heart land of midlands rugby (near Loughborough) my school barely taught rugby in PE at High School (11 to 14) and only entered two sevens tournaments in those 4 years because a group of us requested it. Aged (15 to 18) there was no rugby taught and no college team despite a decent number of students playing the game outside of school.

It is to my great annoyance that rugby is a diminishing sport on so many state school curriculums because there are a large number of genuinely talented young players who never play the game until it's to late for academies to get hold of them or never experience the game at all.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:56 am

Sam,

I cannot see that situation improving a great deal as the staff needed to coach rugby in many state schools just will not be there. However in many areas the clubs are picking up the slack. My local club attracts about 250 under 11s every sunday and runs two sides for each age group above that.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Islingtonv2 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
England, SA and NZ have the best inter schools championships by a country mile

In England you have to be pretty privaliged to see any of those inter schools tournaments. Despite being in the heart land of midlands rugby (near Loughborough) my school barely taught rugby in PE at High School (11 to 14) and only entered two sevens tournaments in those 4 years because a group of us requested it. Aged (15 to 18) there was no rugby taught and no college team despite a decent number of students playing the game outside of school.

It is to my great annoyance that rugby is a diminishing sport on so many state school curriculums because there are a large number of genuinely talented young players who never play the game until it's to late for academies to get hold of them or never experience the game at all.

Ditto, in the north midlands there is no Rugby presence (of either code) at all. We never played it once at school, nor did any other state school in the area, between Birmingham and Manchester i doubt any school bar a couple of private or grammer schools had any rugby scheme.

People talk on here all the time about expanding and introducing the game around the globe, its all pie in the sky since the RFU can't even manage to do that 100 miles up the road from HQ.

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:19 pm

Can you STFU about rugby in grammar schools, this thread is titled NZ U20s v Wales U20s in case you hadn't noticed.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Can you STFU about rugby in grammar schools, this thread is titled NZ U20s v Wales U20s in case you hadn't noticed.

A fair point about getting on back topic folks, albeit more than a tad blunt in choice of phrasing.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:28 pm

Ok. Who do the Welsh boys see as the standout players in their team?

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

blackcanelion wrote:Ok. Who do the Welsh boys see as the standout players in their team?

Well, Prydie is a capped international

Matthew Morgan, Eli Walker, Cory Hill, Ross Jones and Lewis Hamilton all have had Pro12 gametime.

From watching the Fiji match, Myhill and Lee will provided a good scrummaging unit

Daniel Thomas was the standout player a 7 against Fiji, for some reason he has been benched though?

I have heard good reports of Cory Allen and he is likely to be heavily regionally involved next season
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm

Cory Allen - Powerful and elusive
Matthew Morgan - classic diminutive 10 who can create breaks from almost anywhere
Tom Habberfield - Pace and power
Kirby Myhill - Strong leader powerful and dynamic in the loose
Cory Hill - Powerful and dynamic
Luke Hamilton - Great backrower, gutsy will put his body on the line and carry well

I think we are a bit lightweight all round and this will be a huge game for these lads. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm

Habberfield and Prydie have done well on the Sevens circuit. Harry Robinson should be joining them but he's with Wales in Aus even though he isn't needed. I'm also unsure as to why Dan Thomas has been benched, he's a future international by the looks of it. I'm assuming they went for more size in the back row?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm

Mathew Morgan has had a bit of HEC experience too this year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

As far as I know, Eli Walker and Morgan are the only two to have that experience.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 1:22 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

I think we are a bit lightweight all round and this will be a huge game for these lads. thumbsup

They don't seem lightweight according to their squad profiles (albeit these are often exaggerated).

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/matchcentre/squads_wales_u20.php
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

Morgannwg wrote:As far as I know, Eli Walker and Morgan are the only two to have that experience.

But Walker's HC experience didn't really go that well

Run
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

"Who do the Welsh boys see as the standout players in their team?" -- Watch out for Matthew Morgan. He's defensively weak, but an outstanding prospect -- has blistering pace and great footwork, the likes of which I've not seen since the great Jonathon Davies. Can sprint/swerve past defenders. Still raw but gaining experience -- inconsistent as a place-kicker and tactical kicker, but a great attacker and very exciting to watch. If Wales get front foot ball, he'll cause problems.

Prydie has already played for Wales at senior level at a v young age. Habberield is a v promising scrumhalf too, and players like Myhill, Allen, and the openside Dan Thomas are good players.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

I see Owen Williams of Llanelli is in the squad as a centre, but did he play on the wing for Llanelli in the Prem Final? Or was that Jordan Williams? I think Jord should be there in place of Sam Davies.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

Daniel thomas on the bench after a sterling performance earlier in the week..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:44 pm

More like a sterling individual performance throughout the 6 Nations in a crap team...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

Jordan was on the wing, Owen was plating FH, altho obvs can play centre too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

I don't remember Owen playing in that final, although whichever Williams was on the wing was also taking the kicks and looked very good with the ball in hand.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

That was definitely Jordan then.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

Is the game on at 16:45 GMT

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:12 pm

15.30 on Sky Maes

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

You can get -36 handicap for NZ on bet365. Worth a bet?

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

It's time. New Zealands 2nd rows are huge!

Looking forward to the Baby Blacks Haka.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

Nonu's twin is playing.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

Hill is out, Myhill takes over the captaincy.

Big loss.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

Pitch looks terrible - its been raining everywhere.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

Good box kick and chase forces a penalty from NZ.

Matthew Morgan goes for touch rather than take the 3pts (fairly difficult kick, but not that bad)

Not straight from Myhill at the lineout Doh
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:49 pm

And an early engage gives NZ an easy clear.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

wales606 wrote:Pitch looks terrible - its been raining everywhere.

I just does not look to have drained - cutting up everywhere. Rng/Ire have to play on it afterwards by when it will look like a Great War battlefield.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

As they did against Fiji, they try to Maul and get turned over. They did it twice against Fiji to - someone need to control it properly at the back.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

Welsh scrum looks strong.

NZ will face a much sterner challenge than last year.

NZ dominating the breakdown at the moment though.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:54 pm

Their no.8 is a beast.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:54 pm

This is a very experienced Welsh team though Ross Jones, Prydie, Habberfield, Morgan are all playing for the Ospreys regularly.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

wales606 wrote:

NZ dominating the breakdown at the moment though.

There's a fetcher on the bench. I say we bring him on, should have started though!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Wales destroyed them at that scrum - don't know why the ref wasn't playing a penalty advantage.

Some 5m scrums would be useful for Wales - penalty try potentially.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

NZ defend like a professional outfit. Habberfield needs to stop crabbing sideways and just pass the thing.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Jeez I just seen Morgan dumped a guy!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

Referee pinging Wales at every breakdown but letting NZ get away from being mullered at the scrums.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

wales606 wrote:Wales destroyed them at that scrum - don't know why the ref wasn't playing a penalty advantage.

Some 5m scrums would be useful for Wales - penalty try potentially.

That confused me too, their flanker had broken off when we were driving!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

The commentators are p*ssing me right off. Too NZ biased.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next