The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is Roberto Duran so admired????

+8
ShahenshahG
paul12342
ONETWOFOREVER
John Bloody Wayne
azania
NathanDB10
Imperial Ghosty
TRUSSMAN66
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why is Roberto Duran so admired???? Empty Why is Roberto Duran so admired????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

So many people have said they admire this guy and he's both top 10 in many lists and worshipped.......

Why do people forget this is a guy who used to kill defenceless dumb animals in his youth...A guy who calls Women "PUTA".....A guy who's basic thuggery against Davey Moore was something that would even make a high street thug shocked and embarrassed and put behind bars....A guy who basically lost to all the very gifted Boxers who boxed against him....A guy who was so professional he'd balloon to 190 between fights....A guy that was so humiliated and battered and belittled by Hearns..that he didn't want to clear his name against the same guy in a return (Always called out Hagler and Leonard though!!).....A guy with basically no humanity whatsoever!!!

A classless thug of a Man that gets a free ride..whilst others like Leonard and Ali get abused for having opinions and beliefs!!

Why is a guy like this admired????? Great LIGHTWEIGHT though!!..Just interested to know..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Why is Roberto Duran so admired???? Empty Re: Why is Roberto Duran so admired????

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

Still not over the fact that the greatest fighter of his era wasn't American then.

He's admired because of his brutal reign of terror at lightweight, his desire to fight the best at all times and his very under rated ability.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Why is Roberto Duran so admired???? Empty Re: Why is Roberto Duran so admired????

Post by NathanDB10 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:06 pm

I guess the short answer is because he had an entertaining fighting style, he was all-action and showed a lot of heart in 99% of his fights. At least thats what I got out of watching his fights, coupled with his longevity.

Don't know enough about his private life/mindset to make a judgement on that side of things. I do like the Hearns fight, simply because it showed the exocet that is Hearns' right hand to full effect.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:08 pm

I dont know about you, but I like boxers who are not straight laced. Duran was an animal inside and outside the ring.

I remember reading when a female reporter interviewed him and asked if he felt less of a man after the no-mas debacle. He dropped his trousers and asked her what she thought.

What is this about classless? So what? Classy guys in boxing are very boring individuals.

Plus as a boxer, his skills are grossly under-appriciated. Masterful defensive fighter also. Probably a Top 10 ATG at WW imo.

As for the Moore fight. No different from the beating Ali dished out on Patterson. The ref didn't do his job and Moore's corner should have pulled him out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:10 pm

He was a great, great fighter with an entertaining style who'd take on anybody no matter how much bigger or younger.

Most see him as the greatest lightweight ever and that's hardly a weak division, hands one of the greatest welters his first loss, loses to one of the greatest middleweights by a round and beats younger, bigger, stronger guys in Moore and Barkley.

That outweighs getting KO'd by Hearns, lotsa people were KO'd by Hearns.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:10 pm

He was an animal in and out of the ring.

Thats why people love.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by paul12342 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:11 pm

Cause he knocked a horse out

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:13 pm

Ray Acel trained him but gave up any technical training as he could see that Duran was a wild beast appearing human like creature.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by paul12342 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:15 pm

When i watch a fight such as Mosley Vs Pacquiao it makes me love Duran even more. He would never ever be so loving towards an opponent he would of had Mosley out of there!!!!

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:15 pm

Ghosty shut up.....Leonard was American Mate as was Robinson and Ali!!!!

Anyway don't expect anything better than that from you...

Aside from the fact Duran was classless...he avoided Hearns like the plague and quit aginst Leonard!! shouldn't be a top 10 er for that alone..

For me I don't find him likeable....but opinions are always welcome...sensible ones..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:16 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:He was a great, great fighter with an entertaining style who'd take on anybody no matter how much bigger or younger.

Most see him as the greatest lightweight ever and that's hardly a weak division, hands one of the greatest welters his first loss, loses to one of the greatest middleweights by a round and beats younger, bigger, stronger guys in Moore and Barkley.

That outweighs getting KO'd by Hearns, lotsa people were KO'd by Hearns.

Lets be honest here. The judges were blind in that fight. Duran exceeded expectations and Hagler had another of his nights where he switched off and boxed cautiously. Hagler won over 10 rounds in that fight nevertheless.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ghosty shut up.....Leonard was American Mate as was Robinson and Ali!!!!

Anyway don't expect anything better than that from you...

Aside from the fact Duran was classless...he avoided Hearns like the plague and quit aginst Leonard!! shouldn't be a top 10 er for that alone..

For me I don't find him likeable....but opinions are always welcome...sensible ones..

He showed an awful lot of class against Hearns. He was hugging him so damn close after the fight I thought he was going to propose to him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:19 pm

Having been knocked out in two rounds im not surprised Duran had intention in rematching him, why would he?

Duran is the most revered fighter of his era and it bugs you a lot Truss, not nonsense but a rather obvious summation.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:19 pm

He was worried he was going to ask Duran if he wanted to do it again!!!

In fairness though at least at one point in the evening he managed to get close enough to touch him!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

He did something good for another fighter that he is remembered for. There was this gay homosexual fighter called Jesus who got AIDS and I think Duran gave blood or something like that.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He was worried he was going to ask Duran if he wanted to do it again!!!

In fairness though at least at one point in the evening he managed to get close enough to touch him!! Cool

His face touched Hearn's left jab and right cross all too often.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:22 pm

Doesn't bug me at all Mate.......I just find that it takes a QUEER kind of fellow..to admire a guy who tortures dumb animals...quits like a dog...and then avoids a guy who absolutely humiliated him like the plague...

Great lightweight though....Shame Benitez, Laing, Leonard, Hearns etc weren't lightweights.....the way they schooled him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:25 pm

What kind of response are you trying to curry Truss?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Doesn't bug me at all Mate.......I just find that it takes a QUEER kind of fellow..to admire a guy who tortures dumb animals...quits like a dog...and then avoids a guy who absolutely humiliated him like the plague...

Great lightweight though....Shame Benitez, Laing, Leonard, Hearns etc weren't lightweights.....the way they schooled him..

WHat would have been the point of a Hearns rematch?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:29 pm

I'll be honest I don't like curry..have the odd Dansak now and again though..

Mate everytime Gerard Mclellan gets mentioned we hear what a scumbag he was (dogfights etc)

Yet this guy gets a free ride - ALWAYS!!

Explain that....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'll be honest I don't like curry..have the odd Dansak now and again though..

Mate everytime Gerard Mclellan gets mentioned we hear what a scumbag he was (dogfights etc)

Yet this guy gets a free ride - ALWAYS!!

Explain that....

Not from me. I wouldn't give a monkeys if he shagged dogs in his spare time. I like boxers who have issues ouitside the ring. Tony Ayala being the exception.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:34 pm

So killing dumb animals and abusing innocent Women with foul language is acceptable behaviour!!!

Are you a father Az???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:36 pm

Have never and never will care what happens outside of the ring so think you're stooping fairly low in attempting to downplay his ability and achievements.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So killing dumb animals and abusing innocent Women with foul language is acceptable behaviour!!!

Are you a father Az???

I'd dont hold up boxers as role models. Role models are parents not sportsmen. Yes I am a father and I expect to give my son guidance and not for him to look at some sportsman as being his role model.

For me Ali is an icon. A hero so to speak. I support much of his political views but I dont look up to him. I look up tp my parents and older family members. Its an African thang....you wont understand Cool

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:44 pm

Still think it's perverse how on the one hand you are hammering Ayala and Duran is ok!! Still whatever..

Stooping low.......No the guy was a bully end of....dirty one..

I won't downplay that humiliation against Hearns and his quitting against Leonard anymore!!

Ignore the MCClellan point though Ghosty a guy you deride!!!

No double standards or anything..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Still think it's perverse how on the one hand you are hammering Ayala and Duran is ok!! Still whatever..

Stooping low.......No the guy was a bully end of....dirty one..

I won't downplay that humiliation against Hearns and his quitting against Leonard anymore!!

Ignore the MCClellan point though Ghosty a guy you deride!!!

No double standards or anything..

I dont think Duran cuddled in a bad way anyone. I'll leave animal rights to bleeding hearted, sandal wearing liberals. But anally raping a woman is not something I'd easily forgive someone.

For what its worth, if you decide to bring Tyson into this issue, he was convicted of Cuddle in a bad way. Doesn't mean he did it. Ayala admitted it. Still an issue over Tyson because if he didn't tale the stand he wouldn't have been sent down.

King should have employed Johnny Cochran.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm

Perry Mason would've been better!!!

Not brought Tyson into it...and you avoided the foul mouth insulting of innocent Women point....

You have your own standards....and I'm proud to be a liberal..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:55 pm

The only boxer who has annoyed me outside the ring was Patterson. My views on him are well documented. But what matters for me is what they do inside the ring.

But Cuddle in a bad way is another kettle of fish.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:58 pm

So Ayala doesn't bother you then??

make your mind up..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So Ayala doesn't bother you then??

make your mind up..

Where have I said he doesn't? For some reason I can say the R word. Ho hum. But how it can be replaced with cuddle I dont know. The mind boggled.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:08 pm

"The only Boxer who has annoyed me outside the ring was patterson"

Have you noticed how ghosty waltzed off as soon as I mentioned his MCClellan hypocrisy??

Typical..a few Anti-American posts and off he goes...

Pathetic..no backbone that lad.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:12 pm

My McClellan hypocrisy is mainly because i'm strongly against animal abuse Truss and think there's a difference in doing it when you're a youth in a poor country as opposed to when you're a grown man living in America.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:16 pm

Good argument...

but not so sure he ever saw the error of his ways....knocking out horses and all that..calling Women "Whores"....

We won't agree but hey your opinion is always welcome..

You have got backbone.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:46 pm

I'm a little late to this party but I'm sorry, how can anyone disklike Patterson? The guy was class personified. OK his title reign was debatable, but that was mostly to do with D'Amato protecting him too much, as his later career proved.

Thoughts welcome on that one.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:47 pm

Nathan AZ is from South Africa - lived through that apartheid and hates Patterson because he thinks he was an uncle tom.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:48 pm

Think Az thinks he's an Uncle Tom......Think it's personal rather than professional Mate!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:50 pm

if you're on here long enough you'll see phrases like "White America" etc.....

Az is well educated and pretty strong in debate......

However he does have his hang-ups..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:51 pm

Is it that time of year again? That means that next month we can look forward to the Hagler ducked a rematch with Hearns article.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:51 pm

Just out of interest why does Sinatra get a free ride? He was a right Bar Steward.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:53 pm

I was saving Hagler for April...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

Look forward to it, Truss.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:if you're on here long enough you'll see phrases like "White America" etc.....

Az is well educated and pretty strong in debate......

However he does have his hang-ups..

In relation to the 1960s, Ali and Patterson, the term 'white america' is very apt. Anyone who says Ali should be grateful for the opportunities America gave him is low class, Jackie Robinson said the same thing also. Those guys sure knew their place. Malcolm X referred to their ild as House "Slaves".

But lets stay on topic eh.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:58 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Just out of interest why does Sinatra get a free ride? He was a right Bar Steward.

He certainly got a free ride out of Nancy Reagan (allegedly) Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:58 pm

I'll try to make sure you're not disappointed then Mate..and will endeavour to keep the same high standards as always!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:59 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Nathan AZ is from South Africa - lived through that apartheid and hates Patterson because he thinks he was an uncle tom.

I never said I thought he was an Uncle Tom. There is no doubt that he was one! Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:59 pm

If it was allegedly...maybe you shouldn't be besmirching the Lady's name!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If it was allegedly...maybe you shouldn't be besmirching the Lady's name!!

Just quoting Kitty Kelly. She wrote that Ole Blue eyes was snookering her. Its in her biography of Nancy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm

No doubt you'd have written the same about Obama's Wife...

Class act Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No doubt you'd have written the same about Obama's Wife...

Class act Mate..

Heard rumours that she's been playing away games also. But that could be republican mud raking.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Feb 2012, 10:13 pm

azania wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No doubt you'd have written the same about Obama's Wife...

Class act Mate..

Heard rumours that she's been playing away games also. But that could be republican mud raking.

and I heard rumours Elvis is still alive and man didn't land on the moon, but given they are sod all to do with boxing I tend not to post them on here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next