The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of Wimbledon - Pete Sampras

3 posters

Go down

Legends of Wimbledon - Pete Sampras Empty Legends of Wimbledon - Pete Sampras

Post by Guest Sat 04 Feb 2012, 9:22 am

Thought I would share a documentary on youtube highlighting the Wimbledon career of Pete Sampras. Enjoy:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Back to top Go down

Legends of Wimbledon - Pete Sampras Empty Re: Legends of Wimbledon - Pete Sampras

Post by carrieg4 Sat 04 Feb 2012, 9:46 pm

Thanks for posting YI man, was good to watch. Was never a fan of that era of finals at Wimbledon (too many aces and too few rallies for my taste) but there is no denying the skill. I was getting a bit nostalgic for a minute.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Legends of Wimbledon - Pete Sampras Empty Re: Legends of Wimbledon - Pete Sampras

Post by legendkillar Mon 06 Feb 2012, 9:00 am

I saw that last year.

I do however have reservations over his comment at the end about 'winning one more major' had the US Open in 2002 not culminated in success whether he would've continued playing. You could tell after the Federer defeat at Wimbledon that he felt sore. He lost to Hewitt in the US Open final and to Safin the previous year. I wonder how much really believed he had a Slam left in him.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 06 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

Just read somewhere he used a 400g racquet???

How on earth he hasn't got athritis in his wrist is beyond me. Especially as he never played a double handed backhand!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 16 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm

Yep, Sampras had a very heavy racquet and it was strung at something like 85lbs! His stringer said he was amazing how he got the power he did out of the racquet...his timing had to be prodigous to hit those running FHs as he did (probably the best running FH the game has seen).

For me, his Wimb 99 final performance is the best tennis I have seen played to this day.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 16 Feb 2012, 12:05 pm

Agree lydian.

His Wimbledon 1999 final is the most dominant performance the game has seen. I think only Nadal FO 2008 could match it.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:52 pm

Good to see you think similarly LK. I remember at the time being blown away by the performance. It was in many ways the pinnacle of attacking tennis as shortly afterwards the game took a different direction. His S&V game on the day was lethal (and Agassi played really well too!), plus his groundstrokes were awesome - even his BH was hit with real venom. Simply staggering performance. Anyone who only started watching tennis in the 00s should get a DVD of that match.

Yep Nadal was also a juggernaut that fated day at FO'08 - but with a different brand of tennis.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 16 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

I remember watching it and just 'wow'

It wasn't like Agassi gave him the match either. Sampras played the 'perfect' match. The serves just flew in. He hardly missed a volley. Agassi was working overtime on almost every point just to stay in the point.

Going back to 2008 in Paris, Nadal didn't really get the credit he deserved in terms of how was able to pick off Federer's varied attack. Federer threw everything in his arsenal at Nadal and it all came back.

I draw parallels between Nadal and Sampras, because on their respective favoured surfaces, they are very much un-beatable.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down