The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide

+13
Fists of Fury
ShahenshahG
BuLioli
Mike Selig
Biltong
Demon Racer
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Morph
eirebilly
msp83
rich1uk
Pal Joey
17 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who will the CB Finalists be?

ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Vote_lcap67%ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 6 ]
ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Vote_lcap11%ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Vote_lcap22%ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 9

ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Empty ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:11 am

First topic message reminder :

Commonwealth Bank Series
Australia - India - Sri Lanka

3rd Final: March 8, Adelaide Oval
Start time: 1350 CST, 0950 IST, 0320 GMT

CBS Table - Final Standings: 04/03/12

Teams Mat Won Lost Tie N/R Net RR
For
Against
+0.164 1977/373.3 1920/374.2
Australia
+0.454 1916/373.0 1663/355.1
India
-0.593 1793/365.0
2103/382.0

Australia:
1 Matthew Wade†, 2 David Warner, 3 Shane Watson*, 4 Michael Hussey, 5 David Hussey, 6 Peter Forrest
7 Daniel Christian, 8 Brett Lee, 9 Clint McKay, 10 Xavier Doherty, 11 Nathan Lyon.

Sri Lanka:
1 Mahela Jayawardene*, 2 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 3 Kumar Sangakkara†, 4 Dinesh Chandimal, 5 Lahiru Thirimanne, 6 Upul Tharanga,
7 Chamara Kapugedera, 8 Farveez Maharoof, 9 Nuwan Kulasekara, 10 Lasith Malinga, 11 Rangana Herath.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:01 am; edited 45 times in total (Reason for editing : Poll Added - No multiple Votes; Vote Change Allowed)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Empty Re: ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Sri Lanka 236 for 9 (Chandimal 81, Jayawardene 43, Vinay 3-46, Ashwin 2-30) tied with India 236 for 9 (Gambhir 91, Dhoni 58*, Thisara 2-45)

Dhoni needed a 4 off the last ball and could only manage 3.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide - Page 4 Empty Re: ODI Series - 3rd Final: Australia v Sri Lanka, Adelaide

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:32 pm

From Cricinfo
It wasn't just the players that erred on the tense night. Umpire Nigel Long's miscounting meant Malinga only bowled five balls in the 30th over. India will believe they would have got the winning run off the ball that was missed. Sri Lanka will believe they could have got the tenth Indian wicket off it. How perfect then, that we will never know how it could have ended

Oops
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:41 pm

So a draw... Thats pretty impressive for Sri Lanka
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Personally I blame Dhoni for India's batting woes. It's clear to see that Raina can't play on bouncy pitches, and all the more bizarre that they are rotating Shewag/Tendulkar/Gambhir.

It's fair enough that Rohit Sharma deserves a run in the side, his form has been pretty good in recent times.

Dhoni should also bat ahead of Raina, if he's so keen on playing him. Dhoni averages 50, so it means he can play a bit!

I'd ditch Raina ASAP, if I was Dhoni. Shewag's a little a bit too good to be left on the benches.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Demon Racer wrote:Personally I blame Dhoni for India's batting woes. It's clear to see that Raina can't play on bouncy pitches, and all the more bizarre that they are rotating Shewag/Tendulkar/Gambhir.

It's fair enough that Rohit Sharma deserves a run in the side, his form has been pretty good in recent times.

Dhoni should also bat ahead of Raina, if he's so keen on playing him. Dhoni averages 50, so it means he can play a bit!

I'd ditch Raina ASAP, if I was Dhoni. Shewag's a little a bit too good to be left on the benches.

Raina is an awesome one-day cricketer in my opinion and a big asset on any surface - people make the mistake of seeing him as a top-order player when in reality he is a hitter. All of the 8 batters used in this series deserve their places though so I guess they feel rotation is necessary - I think it would have been better to send Gambhir and Sehwag back to India for a week/10 days or so in turn for rest rather than change it every match though. I'd imagine Rohit will have to be left out when the rotation stops (probably for the finals) though. It just goes to show the depth India have with, for various reasons, Rahane, Yuvraj and Yusuf Pathan out of the team.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:Personally I blame Dhoni for India's batting woes. It's clear to see that Raina can't play on bouncy pitches, and all the more bizarre that they are rotating Shewag/Tendulkar/Gambhir.

Raina is an awesome one-day cricketer in my opinion and a big asset on any surface - people make the mistake of seeing him as a top-order player when in reality he is a hitter. All of the 8 batters used in this series deserve their places though so I guess they feel rotation is necessary - I think it would have been better to send Gambhir and Sehwag back to India for a week/10 days or so in turn for rest rather than change it every match though. I'd imagine Rohit will have to be left out when the rotation stops (probably for the finals) though. It just goes to show the depth India have with, for various reasons, Rahane, Yuvraj and Yusuf Pathan out of the team.
India confirmed that Rohit will play every match, so I'd guess Shewag would miss the finals.

I think Raina's a decent package in limited overs cricket. He can whack the ball, bowl a few overs and a pretty awesome fielder. In terms of batting talent he's no way near as good as Rohit.

To me India are really missing Yuvraj. Jadeja is decent, but he doesn't have Yuvraj's power and more importantly, Yuvraj and Dhoni play well together.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 am

Demon Racer wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:

India confirmed that Rohit will play every match, so I'd guess Shewag would miss the finals.

I think Raina's a decent package in limited overs cricket. He can whack the ball, bowl a few overs and a pretty awesome fielder. In terms of batting talent he's no way near as good as Rohit.

To me India are really missing Yuvraj. Jadeja is decent, but he doesn't have Yuvraj's power and more importantly, Yuvraj and Dhoni play well together.

I think, given time, Jadeja will be a top all-rounder in both forms of the game.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Vinay kumar has been impressive this series, suprised me to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Big wicket for Broad Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 pm

It was very clever from him as he saw Farhat out of his crease and not paying attention. Clever run out
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:Vinay kumar has been impressive this series, suprised me to be honest.
Me to CF90, he's been pretty sharp as well around 140kph! He does seem a better ODI bowler than Test bowler. Seems to have a good change of pace as well.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:17 am

A great win for Sri Lanka at the SCG on Friday.

It was unfortunate that the match was interrupted by rain. Weird, because there was no rain where I was (about 10km away) but you could see the black/grey storm clouds rolling in from the south west on Friday afternoon.

Anyway, congrats to SL on their comprehensive victory. OK

Today Australia play India at the 'Gabba.

No Sehwag for India and Australia must find a way to put a decent score on the board.

They have been performing below par of late and I can't help but think too much fiddling around has gone on with the lineup. We need a settled XI and to make a minimal amount of changes now that Clarke is out. I don't think George Bailey is the answer and the pressure will be on Forrest again to perform.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/commonwealth-bank-series-2012/content/story/554100.html

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:40 am

Australia 211/3 after 42 overs

Mike Hussey 57(48) and Forrest 46(65)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:42 am

MEK Hussey

Innnings 142
Runs 5000
Ave 51.02
S/R 88.11

clap

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:54 am

Mike Hussey and now Peter Forrest holing out in the deep.

Dave Hussey and Dan Christian at the crease.

Australia 225/3 after 44 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:45 am

Not a bad total there breaker. Will be a difficult test for the Indian batsmen
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:53 am

288/5 after 50. Yeah, not bad Billy. A good test for India.

They've got some good hitters like Dhoni and guys like Gambhir and Kohli are in sound form. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:56 am

First ball 4 for Gambhir Very Happy

They do have some hitters breaker but i cant see them getting this unless they get of to a very fast start.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:02 am

288 should be too many , surely? Australia made the most of those last ten overs, did they not ...

Ponting however did nothing to deflect the mounting pressure on him. Perhaps time to call time on ODIs if he wishes to extend his Test career?

(That ought to guarantee him a hundred in the next match Very Happy )

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:03 am

Now that Gambhir has gone, its already getting difficult for India.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:13 am

I think that Ponting has played reasonably well to be honest. He may not have so much to offer the ODI side anymore but is there a better player to replace him?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 am

Another wicket for Lee who has 2/3. Rohit Sharma gone.

India 16/3 after 5.5 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:23 am

All over for India, no way back from here Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:30 am

No reverse cursin' Billy.............. please!!! Whistle

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 am

Have to breaker, got to try and make a game of this Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:46 am

Kohli out now as well. Seriously no comeback here. India will be lucky to make 200.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 am

India 45/4 after 14 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 am

With a RRR of 7 an over and only 6 wickets in hand. India have lost this.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 am

Raina gone now and with him any hope for India to get over 200.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 am

Jadeja gone now 114/6
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:55 pm

All over. Australia wins by 110 runs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:03 am

Crunching, simply crunching win for the Aussies
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 am

What was good about the win though is that Sri Lanka are still in it Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:18 am

Ponting axed, then. Let us hope this isn't the end of his career at all levels. His recent Test form has been very encouraging, and reinforced my belief that he has plenty of runs left in him. It'd be nice to see him over in England for the 2013 Ashes.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 am

What Fists? Has Ponting been axed?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 am

Ponting dropped for Watson from the squad, which to be honest is fair enough as he's the player least contributing at the moment. He seems to have gotten his test game back by gutsing it out at the start, which of course you can't really do in ODIs. A shame because his fielding is still top draw, but with Warner, Wade, both Husseys, Forrest and Christian all contributing, there was a tough choice to be made. Also, Ponting is unlikely to still be around at the next WC, which may have played a part in the thinking.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 am

He is said to be seriously considering his future; I really hope this isn't the end for him in Tests, too.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 pm

I'd imagine Ricky will retire from ODIs after this. Test wise he has years left in him.

Form is temporary, class is permanent as the saying goes.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I'd be surprised if he were to quit the scene completely , having worked so hard to get back into form in the Tests , and having such an excellent series against India.

I suggested yesterday he might abandon the ODI format , and with his hand now rather forced I would imagine that is what he will do.

It is possible of course he'll see it as a good time to get out altogether , but it would be rather out of character for him. Don't think he'd want to go out on such a flat note.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 am

The end of an amazing ODI career for Punter.

I'm still surprised how it was all done suddenly yesterday. Even though the signs were imminent; I half expected him to go on for a bit longer... but what also surprised me a little was the boldness of the announcement from CA.

This means that the bar has been set and all current players need to keep performing consistently or else... !

As for Tests - I think he will be desperate to survive until the next Ashes Tour in 2013 but that is still a long way off.
There was a sound bite this afternoon with Ricky saying exactly that. It was sad to hear this plea but made worse to hear Ricky 'forced' into actually saying it... thereby acknowledging the precarious situation he is in to keep his spot until mid 2013.

Listening to him... he is still so driven and sounds quite resistant to the idea that there is a better replacement for him at Test level.

It will be a shame if the Test axe drops before he makes his own announcement on retirement (which I don't think will ever happen) but surely he must be on tenter hooks now and will have to give a dominant batting display once again when the side tours the West Indies next month.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 am

The SA Redbacks will meet the Tassie Tigers in the Ryobi One Day Cup Final.

Here's how the season finished.

Played Won Lost Points
NRR
SA Redbacks
+0.47
Tasmania Tigers
+0.21
NSW Blues
+0.17
Qld Bulls
+0.01
Vic Bushrangers
WA Warriors

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:07 am

Lb, aren't there a few Saffers playing in this comp. How are the doing?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 am

There might be a few playing in WA? I'm not sure mate. Names don't immediately spring to mind.

To be honest, I hardly follow this comp. Generally, they don't attract crowds of much size at all... the grounds always look empty and lack atmosphere. Perfect for taking still photography! Very Happy

There's too much other stuff going on with the tests, etc. The standard is pretty good though - it's fairly competitive and it's good to see states like SA and Tasmania doing well consistently in all forms of the game from T20, ODI. There's quite a few Tassie Test players who already have or who will be coming to fruition in the next phase of the re-building process of the national side.

Getting the balance right.... or shifting towards a Tasmanian dependency perhaps? Whistle

As a NSWer, I have a lot of faith in these players from all over the country. It takes the emphasis off the east coast (NSW, Vic, WA, Qld traditionally dominated the national sides). Now all of our teams are more mixed with more representation from Tasmania and SA. I'm sure there's Saffers and players with SA ties in the mix somewhere... all over. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 am

Interesting looking at the Sheffield Shield Table.

Sheffield Shield Table

WA on top followed by Queensland with Tassie nipping at their heels.

Then Victoria, NSW and SA... last.

It's almost the opposite of the OD Cup table. Headscratch

In Sheffield Shield (1892/3-2011)

NSW 45
Vic 27
WA 15... 16?
SA 14
Qld 6... 7?
Tas 1

In One Day Comps (1969/70-2011)

WA 11
NSW 9
Qld 8
Vic 5
NZ 3
SA 2... 3?
Tas 2... 3?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 pm

whats happened to robbie Uthappa?

he's a much better batsman than raina!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am

No idea CF. I thought he was more of a T20 player?

He looked promising a few years back then had a bit of a slump but I don't know what's happened since.
Maybe he trod on some BCCI big-wig's toes?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Am i right in thinking that India are now out?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm

eirebilly wrote:Am i right in thinking that India are now out?
Not quite.

They need win well twice, and have the Aussies lose twice (picking up a bonus point win would help massively, as their NRR is rubbish)

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Oh ok, thanks kiwi. i thought that they all ended on 6 matchest but they have to face eachother 4 times each?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:59 pm

eirebilly wrote:Oh ok, thanks kiwi. i thought that they all ended on 6 matchest but they have to face eachother 4 times each?

Yep. They've all played 6 already. I think last year or the year before the series was shortened a bit, but the've gone back up to the full noise this year.

Teams Mat Won Lost Tied N/R Pts Net RR For Against
Sri Lanka 6 3 2 1 0 15 +0.426 1419/273.3 1370/287.4
Australia 6 3 3 0 0 14 +0.318 1435/273.0 1260/255.1
India 6 2 3 1 0 10 -0.733 1307/278.2 1531/282.0

Actually, with 4 points for a win (or 5 with a bonus point win) India are very much still in it. For some reason I had 2 points for a win in my head.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next