The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS!

+7
BoxingFan88
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Imperial Ghosty
hampo17
The genius of PBF
bellchees
School Project
11 posters

Go down

Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS! Empty Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS!

Post by School Project Sun 05 Feb 2012, 3:17 am

Good evening guys,

Hope some of you boys are watching this.

Just looking up at the news of the fight and found this about Chavez Jr: http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/2/4/2771845/chavez-vs-rubio-drunk-driving-arrested-january-boxing-news

Not sure how walking around at 180 2 weeks before the fight and doing a Pavlik will affect "Daddies Little Soldier". Hopefull it'll get him knocked out.

Anyways... Vasquez v Donaire has just started. Looking forward to this one!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS! Empty Re: Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS!

Post by bellchees Sun 05 Feb 2012, 4:07 am

Good performance from Donaire but I really think he should go back to Bantamweight where his power seems so much more damaging. What on earth was that judge thinking who gave the fight to Vasquez?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS! Empty Re: Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS!

Post by School Project Sun 05 Feb 2012, 5:02 am

No idea, Donaire won it though. I had him by 8 rounds.

I can't believe that Chavez Jr hasn't been warned about the head or elbows though!!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 05 Feb 2012, 5:10 am

Jesus! The more I watch Chavez Jr the more I hate him. He is leading in with his head, using his elbows constantly...

I wish someone would knock this fat, lazy fool out!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:44 am

Did Chavez claim to be number one without facing Martinez?...How did Donaire look?

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 05 Feb 2012, 1:17 pm

Donaire looked good but didn't have his usual power, could be because he damaged his hand early on but I think it's because he went up in weight again. Also he did get caught far to often by Vasquez when he had no need to, I think he should go back down to Bantamweight if he can still make it and steer well clear of Gamboa at Featherweight.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 1:29 pm

His hand looked a mess after the fight.

Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS! Donairehandmedium

Just put the finishing touches to my articles on the two fights hopefully be up for everyone to read thumbsup

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 05 Feb 2012, 2:05 pm

hampo171 wrote:His hand looked a mess after the fight.

Vasquez v Donaire // Chavez v Rubio - Possible SPOILERS! Donairehandmedium

Just put the finishing touches to my articles on the two fights hopefully be up for everyone to read thumbsup

What I never understand is how so many fighters get away with having their hands wrapped illegally?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 05 Feb 2012, 2:09 pm

After 4 rounds donaire look invincible. He was very quick, reflexes were amazing and he was toying with a top fighter. However, he started showboating and lost a few rounds while taking too many right hands. I had it even after 8 rounds but donaire finished strong. His jumping around technique is effective and is very hard too read and counter.

However, if donaire fights like that against Gamboa then he will lose. Donaire was so much faster than Vasquez, but still got caught. Gamboa is faster than donaire and hits like a light-welter. Donaire wouldn't have the reflexes to slip the punches imo do will need to keep a tight defence. He sometimes tries to engage too much and drops his hands by his waist which is risky.

Rubio gave a good account for himself vs Chavez. Chavez just bullied him though, he probably had a 15lbs advantage over Rubio. He was visibly huge against Rubio and had the faster hands. He never had Rubio going though, and Chavez looked weak as the fight wore on. I can't see him staying at the weight for too long, but I can't see him beating the guys at super middle as he wont have the size advantage which saw hi mthrough both the Rubio and zbik fights

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 05 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm

As WHU says... Chavez looked massive - I tried looking for pictures of the weigh-in and then of the fight to compare but you can't really tell from the pictures, but the guy looked as though he was about 175-180.

One thing I noticed is that his legs were like TWIGS compared to the rest of him.

He did gas terribly by round 5 onwards, this was when he was leading in with the head and elbows, it wasn't the cleanest of fights to watch. Not dirty as such, but the sort of fight you would see newly turned pro lightweights fight on an undercard - Heads together, slapping punches on the inside and on the side of the head.

The more the fight went on, Chavez was using his weight to walk Rubio back and push him to the ropes. Rubio by round 7/8 was also visibly tired.

I scored it 116-112 to Chavez.

I was also surprised by Donaire last night - Vasquez certainly held his own and if it wern't for the knockdown, the fight could have been his. He controlled Donaire with his jab by round 4. The messed up hand no doubt played a factor, but Donaire was doing some strange things.

His left hand dropped, egging Vasquez in to line up a counter, but this didn't work as Vasquez was scoring with quick right hands over the top. He barely missed these by round 6.

I can't agree more with WHU about Chavez at Middleweight. He looks physically too big for it, but maybe some proper conditioning would make him stay at the weight. There were reports of him weighing 180 2 weeks before the fight so the guy has obviously dropped a LOT of weight before the fight.

If they were to get Alvarez in at Middleweight against Chavez, I honestly can't see him winning. Simply due to the size and the height advantages. Chavez will simple bully him around the ring slapping him to a points victory.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm

Am I the only one that was impressed with Donaire? He took an a legit and good former champion who lost to Arce in a very competitive fight, but was by no means blasted out.

First fight at a new weight and he won clearly even with a suspected damaged left hand (his money punch). Took some good shots from Vasquez and didn't look troubled. Donaire did ship a few rights, but he also uses that the counter off and did it a few times in the fight, its the way he knocked out Montiel and Sydorneko. He will grow into the weight and I think he should stay there. Can't see rigo or Nikiosha beating him.

I think too many people got carried away with him flattening Montiel and expected the same again. It was a good performance and went pretty much the way I expected it to.

Then again I'm a Donaire fan so I might just be blowing hot air. How many people move up in weight and face a real stiff challenge straight away???

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 05 Feb 2012, 4:22 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:Did Chavez claim to be number one without facing Martinez?...How did Donaire look?

He was calling out Cotto, Margarito and Martinez.

Essentially, he wants to come in at 180lbs against 1 small Junior Middle, 1 shot fighter and is throwing out a little pillow talk to Martinez.

The guy sickens me to my core. No doubt Arum will match him up with Margarito at Middleweight before he can get his hands on some shot 168/175 fighters in his stable to spoon feed him. At this stage, I would still have Pavlik to beat him too, which doesn't say much.

But Chavez is screwed no matter which way he goes.

Stay at Middle - Fight the likes of Sturm, Pirog, Proska, Murray, Macklin, Barker and Martinez.
Move up to Supermiddle - He has to fight in a rich division and will lose against any of the the Top 10.

It's just a matter of time really.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

I must be one of the few on here who don't hate him. He has an exciting style which is great to watch in my opinion, I do think if he was just some random lad and not the son of an ATG then he wouldn't get as much criticism as he does.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 05 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

He probably wouldnt get such an easy route if he was some random lad - he'd be getting battered by martinez for a career high payday

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

Probably, but if was some random lad he would have had amateur experience as well. As I say his style is good to watch.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 05 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

No doubt actually - enjoyed it myself but he is seriously taking the urine - Thing is he is doing all this without putting in the effort in training - he could be quite good but he wont test himself against someone great. Ducking of martinez was as transparent and shameless as anything i've ever seen.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

I agree. Just think he's exciting to watch, he should have had at least one point deducted for using his elbow last night, ref really bottled that.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 05 Feb 2012, 5:15 pm

hampo171 wrote:I agree. Just think he's exciting to watch, he should have had at least one point deducted for using his elbow last night, ref really bottled that.

Each to their own, personally I find him very amateur. I've seen better fighters at novice level. If he had one-punch knockout or some talent I guess I would find him exciting. But watching last night I wasn't impressed, he relied on marching forward with his head pressed against Rubio.

I wasn't impressed with Rubio not being able to take a step back and attempt uppercuts, though if I was around 165 and I had a kid who was an inch or two taller and 20lbs heavier than me I don't think I would be able to do the same.

He's just blessed with being with Bob Arum, a decent chin and the fact that he can rehydrate to Light-Heavy.

It's just a shame he didn't crash his car when he was drunk.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

Donaire fight is on this Youtube account https://www.youtube.com/user/fortressmute1?blend=1&ob=0

Grab it while it's still there lads...

Donaire cruised through against another world class opponent. Vasquez didn't really want to open up. Vasquez didn't get tagged clean all that often and the times when he did he was properly shaken.

JCCjr wasn't overly impressive. Didn't look great towards the end either. Still maintain that Martinez batters him, how Bob Arum can say that Rubio is a bigger attraction than Martinez is beyond me.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

Because he is scared of Martinez that's why.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

Not sure wishing people where in car crashes is really the correct thing to ever wish for. I agree after round 4 he was gone, he does need to move up a division though, yes it's harder but at least he'd be able to do a decent pace for 12 rounds. If I was Roach I'd give him an ultimatum. Knuckle down and hone the limited skills he has to give him the bets chance or get out of my gym.

I'd also want to stop Chavez SNR going anywhere near the corner during the fights, that was disgusting.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Because he is scared of Martinez that's why.

Obviously, was just having a little dig at Arum. Wink It's a bit like Katie Price, I'm sure we all have.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:33 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Donaire fight is on this Youtube account https://www.youtube.com/user/fortressmute1?blend=1&ob=0

Donaire cruised through against another world class opponent. Vasquez didn't really want to open up. Vasquez didn't get tagged clean all that often and the times when he did he was properly shaken.

JCCjr wasn't overly impressive. Didn't look great towards the end either. Still maintain that Martinez batters him, how Bob Arum can say that Rubio is a bigger attraction than Martinez is beyond me.

I agree with you about Chavez although I don't think he is as bad as some people suggest he is. I would like to see him at 168 or even 175lbs he's just to big to be a middleweight.

I can't agree with you on Donaire mind you. Vasquez is decent but would fancy most top guys around 122lbs to beat him. Donaire stood off him far to often posing. The more I watch Donaire the more I'm convinced gamboa would spark him out. Arum mentioned this fight was a possibilty last year and it's one I would love to see.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

Chavez is improving quite alot and he could give Martinez a harder night than everyone is thinking! (doubt it will happen)

And Donaire did OK giving him his dues for the hand injury, but i think Rigondeaux schools Donaire and is just too strong...and Donaire needs to steer clear of Gamboa in the future
Unbeatable Georgey Groves

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:42 pm

Rigondeaux is a strange one. If Donaire stood off him and boxed like he did last night Rigondeaux would barely lose a round. You don't take Rigondeaux on in a battle of accurate and clean counter punching. You need to make him work. He doesn't like to throw a lot of punches. Donaire would need to stay on him and work for every minute of every round. I'm not sure Donaire is capable of it mind you.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Donaire fight is on this Youtube account https://www.youtube.com/user/fortressmute1?blend=1&ob=0

I agree with you about Chavez although I don't think he is as bad as some people suggest he is. I would like to see him at 168 or even 175lbs he's just to big to be a middleweight.

I can't agree with you on Donaire mind you. Vasquez is decent but would fancy most top guys around 122lbs to beat him. Donaire stood off him far to often posing. The more I watch Donaire the more I'm convinced gamboa would spark him out. Arum mentioned this fight was a possibilty last year and it's one I would love to see.

We're talking about Gamboa and Donaire but let's look at it, Donaire is NOT a FW yet and has loads of fights before he will be, by the sounds of it Gamboa will be a LW very shortly, the fight won't happen.

I would say Vasquez is a world class opponent and Donaire was basically playing with him, I wouldn't pick any other BMW to do that to him. Also, Donaire wouldn't be doing those kinds of things against Gamboa, I think it was more that Vasquez wouldn't open up so he started messing about with him in there almost. I think he maybe wanted to try and put on a show after the Narvaez borefest. Gamboa would be there and give him real tests and cause him to think Donaire wouldn't be foolish enough to start taking him lightly, especially when he feels part of the power coming back at him.

That all said I also would have Gamboa a winner if those two were to meet next. But again Donaire is not a FW.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:47 pm

I don't think Donaire was playing with him I thought it was all square after 8 rounds.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:49 pm

I wouldn't say its that he doesnt like to throw punches i would say he doesnt want to waste punches; but i take the point that Donaire could out work him. I just think Rigo is too strong for donaire up close and would bully him, i think even controlling the centre of the ring...

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:50 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:I don't think Donaire was playing with him I thought it was all square after 8 rounds.
What I mean is he wasn't really trying all that hard during the middle rounds because he was in such control in the first 4. It was pretty even around that point but Donaire simply stepped it up again and decided to finish strong, how it was a SD was beyond me!!!!!!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:51 pm

Vasquez jnr is a bit like Chavez jnr in that he lives of his fathers name rather than making a name for himself.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 05 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:I don't think Donaire was playing with him I thought it was all square after 8 rounds.

What I mean is he wasn't really trying all that hard during the middle rounds because he was in such control in the first 4. It was pretty even around that point but Donaire simply stepped it up again and decided to finish strong, how it was a SD was beyond me!!!!!!!!

I had Donaire winning all 4 of the last rounds and the knock-down gave him it by 5 points imo. What did you expect a Puerto Rican fighting for a WBO strap was always going to get it on at least one judges card.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:06 pm

Rigondeux is incredibly good, the way he beat up Casey impressed me immensly. Wouldn't mind him having a few more fights this millenium though..

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Rigondeux is incredibly good, the way he beat up Casey impressed me immensly. Wouldn't mind him having a few more fights this millenium though..

I hope he gets Vasquez next and he will do a better job...he needs to raise his profile because Donaire & Arum won't go near him otherwise

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:14 pm

He hasn't had many fights and did struggle an awful lot with Cordoba let's not forget, I can't believe he actually BEATS Donaire just yet...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:19 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:He hasn't had many fights and did struggle an awful lot with Cordoba let's not forget, I can't believe he actually BEATS Donaire just yet...

That fight was NEVER a SD; i thought he won quite clearly though it was a poor performance from him, and remember the "knockdown" scored against him

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

and though he doesnt have many pro fights he does have over 400 as an amateur

and BTW has anyone seen this... http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/02/team-rubio-says-chavez-jr-skipped-doping-test-after-fight/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:23 pm

What I'm saying is that Rigondeaux as of this moment isn't quite at the level of Donaire, Guillermo has not proved that yet in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:24 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:and though he doesnt have many pro fights he does have over 400 as an amateur

and BTW has anyone seen this... http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/02/team-rubio-says-chavez-jr-skipped-doping-test-after-fight/

Wow, very interesting, he is massive for the weight as well...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:24 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:and though he doesnt have many pro fights he does have over 400 as an amateur

Give that a thread of its own mate it deserves one given his problems in the past with failing drug tests.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:30 pm

I can't see the WBC doing anything about a missed drug test, they would probably let Chavez take a baseball bat in the ring with him.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm

Rigo hasn't proved that he is really that good as a professional yet. He beat Rico Ramos, who by the way was losing every single round in his title fight until he landed a money punch. Everyone knows that amat
eur boxers don't always work in the pros and he still has a lot of question marks as a pro.

I really don't see how Rigo has even shown he has the beating of Donaire??? Based on what evidence? I know that Rigo was a sensational amateur but you can't rest on that. Donaire has pretty much easily handled every challenge thrown at him. Big step up if you ask me and a step too far.

Mind you I would love to hear reasons as to why, mine are:

1. Donaire has more professional fights.
2. Bigger puncher.
3. Faster hands.

Would be a great fight, will it happen, who knows? Donaire wants the proven best in the division and thats Nishioka.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 05 Feb 2012, 11:21 pm

On the evidence of that fight I don't think he beats Nishioka, one of the most under rated fighters around, he doesn't do anything sensationally but he does everything very well, a fabulous fighter. Bonus is Donaire gets to keep his rather meaningless WBO title if he losses, all his multi weight exploits mean so little in the lower weight classes unless you win the WBC or WBA.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down