The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lemieux vs Rubio Report + undercard *Spoilers*

+4
J.Benson II
themadworldofjb
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
WelshDevilRob
8 posters

Go down

Lemieux vs Rubio Report + undercard *Spoilers*  Empty Lemieux vs Rubio Report + undercard *Spoilers*

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 09 Apr 2011, 12:12 pm

Rubio upsets Lemieux

By Dave Spencer at ringside

A shocker at the Bell Centre in Montreal as previously undefeated knockout artist David Lemieux fell to the more experienced Marco Antonio Rubio (50-5-1, 43 KO) at 2:36 of 7th round. Lemieux looked as if he may have suffered a broken jaw at the heavy hands of Rubio who had the 22-year-old youngster down into the corner for an eight count and looked to be on his way to finishing things before Lemieux’s corner stepped up and stopped the fight.

The Montreal fighter was devastating in his attack in the early going, unleashing bombs throughout the early going but was doing so at an incredible pace. So in control was Lemieux, or so he thought, that he mugged for the cameras in the 5th round by sticking out his tongue during one of his full frontal assaults in the early going. Things began to change in the next round though with Rubio rocking the local fighter with a right hand and continuing to following up and landing more before the round ended.

Lemieux seemed content to work behind a powerful jab in the 7th and used good movement before Rubio caught up with him and sent him slumping down in the corner.
Rubio wins the WBC eliminator and is mandated to fight the winner of Zbik-Chavez Jr.

Former 2008 Olympian Elieder “Storm” Alvarez (4-0 3KO) showed no ill effects of over a year layoff and adding 15 pounds to a solid frame by crushing Ernesto Zamora (18-22-1 12KO) a total of three times into the canvas and scoring a TKO victory at 1:38 of the third round. The Columbian who was having visa problems after an impressive pro debut didn’t miss a beat showing great footwork, a telephone jab and a vicious uppercut in the first two round before unleashing the toolbox and ending things convincingly in the third.

Adonis “Superman” Stevenson (14-1 11KO) destroyed Derek Edwards (25-2 13KO), knocking out the North Carolina fighter at 1:48 of the third round who looked like a deer in the headlights before being crushed by devastating left hand that ended things instantly. It was the first fight in a year for Stevenson who shockingly lost to Darnell Boone in attempt to go south of the Canadian border in his pugilistic pursuits. Edwards who came in with respectable record and never had been stopped simply had no answer for the powerful southpaw and was knocked and in the second before being saved by the bell. “I’m back!” announced Stevenson to the enthusiastic Bell Centre crowd who were on their feet applauding the knockout. The Montreal fighter captures the vacant NABA super-middleweight championship with the impressive victory.

In an often foul filled and ugly contest, undefeated NABA super-featherweight champion Arash Usmanee (12-0 6KO) pounded out a convincing 80-71, 79-72, 79-72 victory over a game 40-year-old Aldo Valtierra (25-14 13KO). No knockdowns but Valtierra did have to find his way up from the canvas a total of three times and was penalized a point in the 6th round for hitting behind the head; something both fighters took turns doing in a foul filled 30 second exchange in the 4th round. Valtierra would have his moments including a good fifth round in which he was the aggressor and an occasional good counter right hand like the one he ended the 7th round with. But Usmanee was up to the task and was willing to give back as good as he got and controlled the action for the majority of the contest.

Oscar Rivas (5-0 2KO) worked Wilfrido Leal (7-5-2 6KO) up and down for six rounds before stopping the Mexican heavyweight with an uppercut to end things at 1:13 of the sixth and final round. Leal who despite coming in with an ample midsection showed he could fight a little bit along the way but was clearly no match for the crisp punching power of his Columbian born opponent who is now fighting out of Montreal. Rivas had a beleaguered Leal down moments before the final blow with a well-placed three punch combination that brought the fighter down to his knees for the first time on the evening.

Junior-middleweight Ahmad Cheikho (6-2-2 5KO) made it four in row with a second round knockout of Attila Molnar (20-19-6 10KO) of Hungary. Going past the first round for the first time in over four-and-a half years, Cheikho was content to take his time but simply couldn’t miss his statutory European target, switching back and forth between orthodox for as long as it lasted. Three successive left hands brought Molnar to the canvas and while he managed to climb to feet and was allowed to continue, the bout was quickly called at the 3:00 mark of the second round with Cheikho continuing to fire and Molnar doing little in return.

Heavyweight Didier Bence made his pro debut a short one, stopping the rather large 288 pound Leonard Collier at 1:49 of the first round. Bence landed a left-right combination that had the now 1-7 fighter stumbling down forward onto his knees. It was mysteriously ruled a slip but Collier had seen enough and was looking for soft spot to lie down and call it a night. He would find one moments later and after getting up at the count of eight, clearly showed no desire to go on.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Lemieux vs Rubio Report + undercard *Spoilers*  Empty Re: Lemieux vs Rubio Report + undercard *Spoilers*

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 09 Apr 2011, 12:24 pm

That's a big shock Lemieux was expected to get rid of Rubio inside the distance. Makes you wonder if he has been in to soft up until now
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Lemieux vs Rubio Report + undercard *Spoilers*  Empty Re: Lemieux vs Rubio Report + undercard *Spoilers*

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 09 Apr 2011, 12:32 pm

I was surprised so many went for a Lemiuex Ko win - I predicted a points win as rubio has mixed in tough competition and done well.

Not seen the fight yet though I do have a download.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 09 Apr 2011, 12:34 pm

I predicted Lemieux by KO no-one predicted a Rubio win. I've sky+ just going to watch it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Sat 09 Apr 2011, 1:00 pm

I knew Rubio would wins this. Too experienced
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sat 09 Apr 2011, 1:03 pm

That was a massive shock for me.
I was one of a number of fans hyping Lemieux up as one of the next big things at MW.

Having seen the fight, Lemieux clearly demonstrated his explosiveness and looked very impressive in the early rounds. I think he payed the price for his lack of stamina and latter round experience.

However, I still see enough potential in him and wouldnt write him off.

The fight reminded me somewhat of David Haye's loss to Carl Thompson, in
which the plucky and tough veteren surives the early onslaught and takes out the over-confident dynamo in the mid rounds when they start to fade.

It was a blessing in disguise for Haye who knew from that moment onwards that not every opponent will fold over and get blown away early.
He learned to adapt, be patient and work on his flaws.

In a similar manner, this was a harsh lesson for Lemieux, but he can hopefully learn from it as Haye did.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 09 Apr 2011, 3:50 pm

That might be the case but imo he's been in to soft then asked to make a big jump in class. Don't get me wrong Rubio isn't world class but he's tough and much better than anyone Lemieux has faced to this point.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 09 Apr 2011, 9:05 pm

Wasn't too impressed with Rubio last time out, he had me thinking he was on his way out, guess he still has plenty to offer, great win for him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Sat 09 Apr 2011, 9:07 pm

Very Happy this the lemieux who the other day claim he could beat martinez now! good on rubio - pavlik stock rises!

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 09 Apr 2011, 9:29 pm

Youarethegreatest wrote: Very Happy this the lemieux who the other day claim he could beat martinez now! good on rubio - pavlik stock rises!

Didn't know that, would have been best to say that after a victory probably.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 09 Apr 2011, 9:31 pm

Boxers always say stupid things when a mic is stuck in their face. FMJ has said numerous times he is the greatest ahead of Ali and Robinson.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 09 Apr 2011, 9:37 pm

I still think that he has a lot of potential. He can improve, he stepped up to a high level opponent and found out he can't blow away tougher opponents. He showed us what he's about. If he went for rubios body and paced himself he probably would have got a decision. He went for the KO too early.

If he shed some lbs he could be a force in light-middle. Although he is 5"10.5 on record he looks closer to 5"8. He is a small middle and doesn't look like he reacta well when he gets caught cleanly. His short reach also puts him at a great disadvantage.

At 22 he's still inexperianced and raw. He's not ready for world class opponents but I think with a better trainer he can fight high level opposition. I still have him as a star for the future as long as he figures out what went wrong.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 09 Apr 2011, 9:51 pm

True at that age it can be considered a learning fight, better now than a year or two down the road. Like you say, go back to the drawing board, figure out what went wrong, and make sure you come to the ring with a couple of game plans.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 09 Apr 2011, 10:56 pm

Alvarez is a very good prospect. In 18-24 months he should be a fully fledged heavy. With his fast hands and wonderful Jab he should go a long way. Hope he keeps away from the kitchen though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 09 Apr 2011, 11:03 pm

Alvarez is a top prospect and a future P4P#1 imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 09 Apr 2011, 11:05 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Alvarez is a top prospect and a future P4P#1 imo.

You reckon? That's some praise.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 09 Apr 2011, 11:08 pm

azania wrote:

He's only 21 looks a better fighter than Khan did 3 years ago and look at the hype surrounding him
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 09 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
azania wrote:

He's only 21 looks a better fighter than Khan did 3 years ago and look at the hype surrounding him

I'm not referring to Saul Alvarez. Very Happy

But the columbian Alvarez will be THE World Champ in 3-4 years. I reckon he will light up the HW division. But, good grief, a columbian residing in Canada being the world heavyweight champ? What next, an American Heavyweight that can fight? Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 09 Apr 2011, 11:17 pm

Sorry I don't think he will be P4P#1 but do think he will be a champ. The fact their will probably be no K bros to challenge him and no Haye they should just hand their titles over to him when they retire
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 10 Apr 2011, 1:10 pm

That might be the case but imo he's been in to soft then asked to make a big jump in class. Don't get me wrong Rubio isn't world class but he's tough and much better than anyone Lemieux has faced to this point..

----------------------------

prettyboy13-4, I agree that Lemieux has had his fair share of soft opponents. But with 25 fights under his belt at only 22 years of age, there is bound to be a fair share of bums among those.

However, the last fight I had seen of Lemieux (prior to this one) was against Tony Ayala. A pretty solid journeyman who had previously only been stopped once in his career (late on against Arthur Abraham). Lemeiux blew him away in the 1st.

I still believe the Canadian has alot to offer. He's an excellent puncher. The reason he lost to Rubio was because he gassed by the mid rounds. Its not like we was out-boxed by Rubio (which would have been a more worrying sign).

Like many other explosive fighters that carry an abudence of fast-twitch muscle fibres (Tyson, Foreman, Haye), Lemeiux will always be plagued by stamina issues. However, I feel if he learns to adapt then he can still fufill his potential. He is still very young so certainly has the time to learn.
I personally would like to see him move to the Wildcard gym and team up with Freddie Roach, who I feel would bring the best out of him.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 1:27 pm

I like Lemieux but think he was thrown in at the deep end against Rubio their is no doubting he's a good puncher. I think this might actually be a good defeat for him in the sense that it will make him work on his issues. He needs to learn to pace himself over championship distance he is spent by round 6 or 7 and their for the taking. Don't see Roach happening he has enough on his plate and wouldn't get to spend enough time with Freddie due to Khan and Pac to really feel the benefits.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 10 Apr 2011, 1:32 pm

At least he went out too a good opponent unlike Kirkland. Lemieux has a decent jab for a short reached fighter and although he is a KO artist, he has decent boxing skills.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Apr 2011, 3:19 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:At least he went out too a good opponent unlike Kirkland. Lemieux has a decent jab for a short reached fighter and although he is a KO artist, he has decent boxing skills.

Kirkland was at MW which never helped but the were trying to get rid of the ring rust. More gym work was needed imo to get his weight down he looked soft around the mid section
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down