The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why does WWE treat its heels like dirt?

+4
Kay Fabe
The Dashing One
Bobby Roode
bernard black
8 posters

Go down

Why does WWE treat its heels like dirt? Empty Why does WWE treat its heels like dirt?

Post by bernard black Mon 21 Mar 2011, 2:54 pm

Recent examples:

The Miz - WWE Champion, yet can't beat a retired 60 year old, taking beatings from Edge in champion vs champion matches (surely the champions of each brand should be shown as at least evenly matched?). To be fair, shown to be slightly stronger in the last few weeks in the bulid up to Mania, standing by himself and without Alex Riley.

Alberto Del Rio - No.1 contender to the World Championship but got lucky at the Rumble, no momentum at all in the feud with Edge, dominated by the no.1 contender for the other belt Cena (again, surely they should be shown to be evenly matched?), loses to Christian on recent Smackdown slowing his momentum further.

Dolph Ziggler - Beaten handily thrice by Daniel Bryan while Intercontintal Champion, received a so-called "push" in which he was paired with Vicky and humiliated week-in week-out by Edge to the point of being in tears over losing his job.

The Nexus - Supposedly formidable stable yet utterly dominated by one wrestler in squash matches who's thrown all but one of the group onto the kayfabe injury list (probably all back to FCW in real life), just to make Randy Orton look ridiculously strong going into the match with Punk. I just hope CM Punk gets absolutely destroyed by Orton at Wrestlemania, as the logic of the feud so far suggests should happen, just so the awful Nexus storyline can be put out of its misery and Punk can make a fresh start.

Laycool - I'm less bothered about women's wrestling, but on the previous RAW I couldn't help but feel pity towards McCool and Layla for having to take a beating from a Guest Host who is knee-high to Rey Mysterio. That's no way to treat two former Women's Champs and makes the whole division look like a joke.

Can anyone suggest why WWE treats its heels like this? I can only assume they want to make their faces look as strong as possible, but where's the emotional investment come PPV time when the heel has been dominating their enemy for weeks and the face is in no danger whatsoever?

I just can't see the logic in booking feuds in which the heel is routinely humiliated and constantly shown to be weak.

bernard black

Back to top Go down

Why does WWE treat its heels like dirt? Empty Re: Why does WWE treat its heels like dirt?

Post by Bobby Roode Mon 21 Mar 2011, 3:16 pm

On the Laycool thing. I don't get the Snooki thing at all. I get understand she's in Jersey Shore which has high ratings in America but she is an ugly midget who looks like her face has been slapped with a wet fish then trampled on by Big Show.

Bobby Roode

Back to top Go down

Why does WWE treat its heels like dirt? Empty Re: Why does WWE treat its heels like dirt?

Post by The Dashing One Mon 21 Mar 2011, 3:27 pm

Were going to the Shore bitch!

The Dashing One

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 21 Mar 2011, 4:29 pm

I can see where your coming from but i'd take issue with you listing Del Rio, apart from taking an utterly pointless SWM off HBK, losing a cage match is ok, any match that ends without a pin or a tap doesn't hurt anyone but does boost the guy who wins, Del Rio has been dominant since his debut, some would say he has been pushed to fast

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by bernard black Mon 21 Mar 2011, 4:44 pm

Wouldn't say Del Rio has been dominant - I can only think of one good clean win on his resume, and that was his debut match against Rey Mysterio. I'd say Mysterio got the better of that feud beyond that point as well.

Del Rio has been pushed in terms of promo-time though, no doubt about it. Doesn't make him a legit contendor in my eyes though (and I rate him, just don't think he's been made to look at all like he can be a strong world champion).

bernard black

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 21 Mar 2011, 5:03 pm

I think he got the best of the feud with Rey although predictably Rey got the last laugh, he was also given the credit for Christian being out for 5 months, he won the Rumble then obliterated the US Champion, im not sure what else they could do with him to make him look stronger in such a short space of time

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 21 Mar 2011, 6:51 pm

bernard black wrote:Recent examples:

I couldn't help but feel pity towards McCool and Layla for having to take a beating from a Guest Host who is knee-high to Rey Mysterio.

laughing ROFL moment thumbsup

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:42 am

It's because WWE's formula has always been reliant on babyfaces to make the money. The only time they ever had a dominant heel champion it was the chairman's son-in-law; otherwise, they've never had long-term strong heels.

From Bruno to Hogan to Austin to Cena, taking in Undertaker, Warrior, Michaels, Rock and Diesel, WWE has always liked to keep its faces strong. It's the way Vince knows best, and that is how he has always promoted wrestling.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:20 pm

NWA/WCW on the other hand often went the other way and used the heels to keep the straps and to try and build tension and anticipation for an eventual face win

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:26 pm

That's true gaffer, although strangely WCW abandoned this policy when Hogan was their top babyface, only to return to it after his heel turn!

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:36 pm

So their policy was to keep the strap on Hogan then?

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:38 pm

Yeah i'm not sure how 'strange' that was eh crip Smile funnily enough that was jus after the WWF broke with tradition and gave a heel champ in Yokozuna a near on 10 month title reign

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:42 pm

Enforcer since Hogan had creative freedom i'd say it was more HIS policy, that being said, he was the biggest name in wrestling, i just feel he should have tried to make it look like he had 'earned' his title shot when he got there

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

I disagree with Del Rio entirely, i have never seen someone been pushed so high and so fast in recent years. He debuted, won the rumble and has had main event matches with Edge and Cena and will be in the "Main event" of Mania.

He hasn't always lost cleanly or always won cleanly for that matter, but Heels are always supposed to win clean and he has been fantastic and deserves to be where he is right now. The fact that he hasn't lost cleanly very often makes him look strong to me.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:37 pm

It doesn't matter how heels win, their job isn't to build integrity, infact the dirtier the win the better

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down