The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland: my dream selection for Wales!

+16
George Carlin
Scot Abroad
B91212
funnyExiledScot
MacKnocked-on
TycroesOsprey
overlordofthewest
maestegmafia
Imperialbigdave
Tattie Scones RRN
eirebilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ChequeredJersey
flyhalffactory
sensisball
20 posters

Go down

Scotland: my dream selection for Wales! Empty Scotland: my dream selection for Wales!

Post by sensisball Mon 06 Feb 2012, 11:04 pm

Having endured, along with most Scottish fans, the frustration of Andy Robinson's inability to choose the best resources at his disposal I have listed what would be my dream selection for the Wales game. Almost none of the changes will happen because Robinson has lost the plot, and is frightened to take a chance on more than one or two young players at a time, but I wanted to get down in print what the way forward could be with the fantastic amount of talent at his disposal. We need to build for the next world cup and we might as well start now as we aint winning anything this year with the selections and tactics he is employing just now!

My selection for the game are based on two simple facts:
1)Glasgow's pack have given all comers, including Leinster in the H cup, a run for their money.

2)Edinburgh have prospered by trying to getting the ball away quickly from set piece play. Their backs thriving in spite of having a pack which is often overpowered at scrum and lineout.

1 John Welch – has developed into a top class scrummager, giving all comers including Ireland's' Mike Ross a torrid time in the scrum. Not as skilful in the loose as Jacobsen but an old school, belligerent, direct prop who never takes a step back.

2 Ross Ford – good solid player but is not captain material for Edinburgh, let alone Scotland. Leave him to get on with is important roles in the team.

3 Geoff Cross – not having a great season in the scrum. However it is a Sunday match so no Murray. Low is still injured, and i think it would be a massive ask to play Ed Kalman, who is in the form of his life, just not convinced he is yet international class.

4 Jim Hamilton – a great lump who puts real fear into the opposition. Works hard around the ruck and maul and carries well in close to the contact. Ritchie Gray likes to appear in the wide areas of the field but often doesnt do the donkey work of a genuine 4.

5 Al Kellock – playing superbly for Glasgow this season. A natural leader, he demands the best from himself and his team and is an essential part of Glasgow's never say die spirit.

6 Rob Harley – Developing at a frightening rate. Only in his second year as a professional player he is able to outshine many of his illustrious opponents. Probably the fittest forward in the Glasgow squad, he has an incredible engine. His work rate in defence is outstanding. Has a fantastic temperament and reads the game really well, rarely gets caught out of position. He is a big 6 who is capable of playing 4 effectively as he showed once again last week for Scotland A. This extra line out option would be a big bonus against probably the weakest area of this current Welsh forward squad.

7 Ross Rennie – quick and good on the ground. Need to pick an Winkle to try to slow Welsh ball and someone who can link well in attack with the backs. As i am going to select several of his club colleagues this also makes sense.

8 Dave Denton – Outstanding last week, showed some amazingly deft touches at the base of the scrum. Has real power going forward and tackles hard.

9 Mike Blair – Having had his first run of games for the last two seasons he has at last rediscovered something close to his best form. Still not totally convinced as an individual pick but as part of the Edinburgh midfield he deserves a shot at re-establishing his international credentials

10 Greg Laidlaw – showed last week that he can cope at the highest level. He wasnt perfect but we were chasing the game and he had an inside centre who cannot pass the ball effectively.

11 Sean Lamont – put him back to where he is can be at his best. He doesn't have to think about where to be and if he should pass ( or more often drop it) or carry,just let him play his natural game on the wing.

12 Matt Scott – we need a genuine 12 playing at 12. Morrison has been playing poorly this season and isnt the best running option, so lets give Scott a chance to replicate his club form.

13 – Nick De Luca – still not convinced he has the temperament for the top level. But he has been on great form for Edinburgh and playing with club colleagues he has a better chance of being successful.

14 – Rory Lamont - a quiet game last week and yet to discover his best form on his return from Toulon. However North and Cuthbert are both massively physical, as well as skilful, players. Lamont is better equipped to deal with them than the smaller Evans or Jones.

15 – Stuart Hogg – in his first year of pro rugby he has shown outstanding form at fullback. His running lines have been sublime. His try last week for Scotland A was one of the best individual tries of the last 12 months.

Bench

16 – Pat McArthur – established himself as first choice at Glasgow ahead of Dougie Hall. Strong in the tight and dynamic in the loose. A more physical presence than Hall or Scott Lawson.

17 – Ryan Grant – having a great season. Can genuinely play both sides of the scrum, providing the cover that Al Dickinson is wrongly identified with. Along with Laidlaw should have been in the world cup squad and is ready for the next level.

18 – Ritchie Gray – Outstanding impact sub but needs to work harder at the contact area as well as in the loose.

19 – Ritchie Vernon– outstanding pace and ability to play across the back row makes him the ideal back row sub. As the spaces open up his speed could cause a lot of damage.

20 - Chris Cusiter – having a good season, knows the replacement 10 well.

21 - Duncan Weir – another young tyro having a great season. In Jackson's absence he has established himself in the Glasgow team and showed he can step up a level, winning the man of the match award in the A game last week.

22 – Lee Jones – having a great season with Edinburgh, scoring freely and may have a better chance to shine when the game opens up towards the latter stages.

Could this team win? Who knows, it would have huge amount of inexperience. But as we saw last week experience doesnt count for much if the team isn't balanced and contains players off form or out of position. It is only a pipe dream but at least it keeps me off the booze, until Sunday afternoon!

Any thoughts?

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Scotland: my dream selection for Wales! Empty Re: Scotland: my dream selection for Wales!

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 06 Feb 2012, 11:20 pm

Great selection and with sound reasons

However Matt is too inexperienced to cope with North cutting inside at what 17st and 6' 6", Jon Davies at 16st and what 6' 1", and Priestland roughly 6' 2" and 15 1/2 st.

However Sean at 6' 2" and 16 1/4st and knowing the Scarlets boys inside out will be much better at 12 and I think Evans is our most attack minded back not selecting even on the bench is perhaps not a good idea

However Matt on the bench is a good option
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Scotland: my dream selection for Wales! Empty Re: Scotland: my dream selection for Wales!

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:28 am

Evans may be your most attack minded back but he killed a few attack opportunities on Saturday. Your strength of depth in the back row is impressive though, stroks, vernon, Rennie, Beattie, denton, barclay, Harley, the injured Brown and the forgotten Ali Hogg..
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:42 am

Add Simon Taylor, Richie Gray has to start he is currently our best player he's also well known. I'd have him down first

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:21 am

sensiball, not sure that I'd have Welch over Chunk or Harley over Stroks, but would lokk seriously at both. Definitely wouldn't have Kellock over Gray, nor Rory Lamont over either Jones or Evans, otherwise would be happy with that lot. Not worried about the size of the Welsh backline, Embra coped fine with Roberts and Cuthbert for Cardiff, its all going to be about tactics and not not letting their big runners get up a head of steam

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:29 am

No Evans? Have i seen that correctly?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:45 am

There's a couple of folk on here saying they would drop Stroks but I've no idea why.

I thought he played better on Saturday than he has done for a while. Couple of errors aside, he made some good yardage and was pretty much in the thick of things which then surprised me he was subbed.

Actually......no it doesn't.

A player being taken off when he's playing well. Where have I seen that before Headscratch

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:22 am

flyhalffactory wrote:
However Matt is too inexperienced to cope with North cutting inside at what 17st and 6' 6", Jon Davies at 16st and what 6' 1", and Priestland roughly 6' 2" and 15 1/2 st.

However Sean at 6' 2" and 16 1/4st and knowing the Scarlets boys inside out will be much better at 12 and I think Evans is our most attack minded back not selecting even on the bench is perhaps not a good idea

However Matt on the bench is a good option
]

Why is Matt Scott too Inexperienced? What is your evidence of this? He slotted into Edinburgh seamlessly without having to be edged in. Hes never put a foot wrong in Defence for us, and coped brilliantly with Estebanez and steyn in paris who then went on to destroy the blues midfield a week later.

You actually sound like Robinson here, why are Scots so afraid of putting form youth in? North had played about 5 games for Scarlets before lining up against Habana. You know why he was picked? Because he was the form player. Scott is the form player in his position, stop worrying about what the oppositions going to do to our 12 and start worrying about what our 12 is going to do to the opposition.

Scott is the only form option here.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

Conservative selecting is not what will take Scotland forward. They need new life in the team.

Similar to Wales last six nations. Only after the Baabaa's game and the pre RWC matches did we realise how much life we needed.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

What Scotland need a temendous amount of injuries yo their first xv. Then theyd be forced to pick the other on form players. Nothing will happen overnight, but if they remain injured for a while then the regions will also have to get along without them.
This experience will start to show that a lot of the younger amd hungrier players can actually make it.
That's what happened to Wales for a while, and particularly the Scarlets. A lot of Wales first choice backline at the moment were second choice or acadamy players for the Scarlets a few years ago. Massive amounts of injuries forced them in early.
One minute they are in the LV being developed, the next they're in the HC and on the Wales bus.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

maestegmafia wrote:Conservative selecting is not what will take Scotland forward. They need new life in the team.

Similar to Wales last six nations. Only after the Baabaa's game and the pre RWC matches did we realise how much life we needed.

meh, thats not true Maes and you know it, North, Warburton, the centres, Halfpenny, Lydiate were all first choice or becoming established in the squad by the end of 2010. Other than North all had been through a six nations by then. The front five was established and ony Faletau in the back row was was waiting for acap but his injury last year stopped him appearing in the six nations. Priestlands emergence as first choice was the only selection that was out of the blue and a bit of good form and good luch established him. This whole nonsence that wales threw in the youth just before the RWC and it paid off is Inverdalesque. The tour to NZ was the point that the old guard were jettisoned.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm

Matt Scott does look to be a very good prospect but lets not forget Ansbro who has looked comfortable so far playing for Scotland. I hope that he recovers from injury asap as I think he is a better player than De Luca at outside centre.
I posted on another thread about my belief that pace is the most important factor in an international quality back, we seem to select players based on their physicality rather than their speed. Hogg must be worth a shout at fullback as I'm sure he would leave R Lamont in his wake even over half the length of the field. I'd like to see the respective sprinting stats for the Scotland squad and also the likes of James Fleming from the 7s.
I'm sure,like me, most Scotland fans are fed up of watching Scotland backlines seemingly running in slow motion,this is not a new problem. Yes I want Scotland to win but I also want an entertaining team to watch.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

Not a good team selection from the OP. Dropping Jacobsen after the season he's had, and dropping Gray after his performance on Saturday, would both be utterly daft, even Robinson-esque, selections.

I also don't think much of the Lamonts on the wing. If we are going to use Laidlaw and Blair in the half back slots, then let's not ruin that selection by taking all the pace off the wing.

Quite a few posters down on NDL. I think we'll see more from him once Laidlaw is installed at 10. Parks makes life pretty difficult for his centres. Those long telegraphed slingshot passes serve only to assist the opposition tackles in readying themselves for the tackle. Where NDL has been excellent this season is running onto quick ball. That should happen more if Blair and Laidlaw are given a chance.

On the Welsh side I see that Davies and Warburton could both be out of the game. That will really test the depth in the Welsh pack. Lou Reed and Ian Evans will have their work cut out against Hamilton and Gray.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm

Does Murray play for his club on Sundays?

If not that is utterly ridiculous and unprofessional.

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:09 pm

FES not sure why you say Jacobsen is a having a great season. Yes he has some lovely touches in open play but the Edinburgh and Scotland scrum have not been dominant. I know he normally rides low in the water but at the moment he looks particularly "gutty" and faded badly towards the end last week.

The Welsh scrum looked very comfortabe against ireland and i fear that an all Edinburgh front row will really struggle on Sunday. Particularly if Dickinson is fit to take his automatic place on the bench.

Gray looks great in the loose but if you watch how much time he spends waiting amongst the
centres for a pass you cant help but wonder who is clearing out the rucks instead of him?

When Ryder has replaced Gray for Glasgow this season his much more direct and traditional style of second row play always seems to speed the ball up for the scrum half. He carries close to the breakdown and clears rucks with real venom, something that Gray should be doing more often, in my opinion.

I just think Gray's game is better suited once the hard work has been done in terms of wearing down the opposition forwards and there will be more gaps to be exploited.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:19 pm

Sensiball:

he shouldn't really need to be there clearing out the rucks - that's what our backrow should be doing.

Gray can then accept quick ball in the centre of the park and use his 20st frame to break the line - as he did so on Saturday.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:sensiball, not sure that I'd have Welch over Chunk or Harley over Stroks, but would lokk seriously at both. Definitely wouldn't have Kellock over Gray, nor Rory Lamont over either Jones or Evans, otherwise would be happy with that lot. Not worried about the size of the Welsh backline, Embra coped fine with Roberts and Cuthbert for Cardiff, its all going to be about tactics and not not letting their big runners get up a head of steam

ALAB100oU

Its not so much the size, its their direct pacy but agressive approach

On an international stage the Scarlets backs trio of North Davies Priestland is an entirely different prospect to a regional Cuthbert and an injured Roberts (I was there for the Cardiff match and we didnt cope that well with an half injured Roberts and he is now back from injury and with a game under his belt)

If you saw North take out Bowe, Darcy, Kearney and Sexton for his try, and take out Sexton Darcy and I think McFadden for Jon Davies try, then I would be worried to let Scott defend the midfield

Sean Lamont at 12 and NDL at 13 for me with Evans Rory on the wings, with Hogg at FB
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:41 pm

FHF, I think that the Irish simply gave North too much space, hanging off in defence far too much. In attack our big lads are not going to run thru their big lads, so I'd prefer to see our speedy wee lads get a chance to run around them OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

IronMike wrote:Does Murray play for his club on Sundays?

Not sure if this is a joke or not so apologies if it is but Murray doesn't play for any team, club level or international on a Sunday due to his religious beliefs. Don't agree with it myself but I will give him credit for never backing down and bowing to pressure.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:02 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:FHF, I think that the Irish simply gave North too much space, hanging off in defence far too much. In attack our big lads are not going to run thru their big lads, so I'd prefer to see our speedy wee lads get a chance to run around them OK

I can see where you are coming from mate, and wouldn't disagree with your stance.............. if Scott gets picked at 12 then I would be confident of his ability in attack and to score tries, he is no doubt a special talent

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:05 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:FHF, I think that the Irish simply gave North too much space, hanging off in defence far too much. In attack our big lads are not going to run thru their big lads, so I'd prefer to see our speedy wee lads get a chance to run around them OK

I can see where you are coming from mate, and wouldn't disagree with your stance.............. if Scott gets picked at 12 then I would be confident of his ability in attack and to score tries, he is no doubt a special talent

ps ............. the 3rd try By North ........ not alot of space there buddy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16882998.............. not sure if your want to watch this its X rated.........
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

No, true, but Bowe's tackle is poor, North is helped over by Davies, and D'Arcy waves the pair of them over the line Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Matt Scott does look to be a very good prospect but lets not forget Ansbro who has looked comfortable so far playing for Scotland. I hope that he recovers from injury asap as I think he is a better player than De Luca at outside centre.
I posted on another thread about my belief that pace is the most important factor in an international quality back, we seem to select players based on their physicality rather than their speed. Hogg must be worth a shout at fullback as I'm sure he would leave R Lamont in his wake even over half the length of the field. I'd like to see the respective sprinting stats for the Scotland squad and also the likes of James Fleming from the 7s.
I'm sure,like me, most Scotland fans are fed up of watching Scotland backlines seemingly running in slow motion,this is not a new problem. Yes I want Scotland to win but I also want an entertaining team to watch.

Hogg was apparently the fastest player in the Glasgow camp before Lamont signed. I remember a twitter post from one of the Glasgow coaches saying that Hogg’s record may be in jeopardy as the new guy is quite quick. They never followed up to say who was the fastest though. I’d have the Lamont’s and Hogg as the back 3. The brothers offer a more physical option out wide than Jones and Evans. Regardless of whether you think size isn’t a factor, it inevitably is. If he’s available, Scott at 12 is certainly an option. He’s faced these guys before and they’re no bigger in a Wales strip than they are in a Blues one. He’s 6’1” and over 15st, I think he can take care of himself. We have so many young guys around the fringes of the national team at the moment. There are 4 6N championships before the next WC, we should be aiming for these youngsters to be having 20+ caps by then.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

B91212 wrote:
IronMike wrote:Does Murray play for his club on Sundays?

Not sure if this is a joke or not so apologies if it is but Murray doesn't play for any team, club level or international on a Sunday due to his religious beliefs. Don't agree with it myself but I will give him credit for never backing down and bowing to pressure.
And I understand that his contractual terms and therefore his salary reflects this arrangement.
Not that he'll be on the breadline as tight heads remain the best paid categories of pro in the sport.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:33 pm

I respect Murray for his beliefs but I am not a great fan of his form at the moment. He's not the same player as he was a few years ago IMO.

Anyway I have been thinking and I am sure you guys will vilify me for saying this, but I think we'll see Morrison at 12 for Sunday. I do not agree with it but Morrison is Steadman's defensive lynch-pin (and a former defence captain I think?), so I can see Robbo etc seeing him as the counter to the threat posed y a rather large Welsh backline - Roberts and J2D to name two.

The fact that this nullifies picking Laidlaw at 10 is obvious and testament to my growing frustration that the Scotland coaching team seem to see the backline as a string of individuals, rather than a unit. Anyway I think Laidlaw will get the 10 shirt with Blair at 9. But I also think Parks will get the bench slot. Weir, Scott and Hogg will get another shot with the A's.

As a result I think we'll see this team for Sunday:

NOTE THIS IS NOT MY PREFERRED TEAM !!!

R Lamont
S Lamont
N De Luca
G Morrison
M Evans
G Laidlaw
M Blair
D Denton
R Rennie
A Strokosh
J Hamilton
R Gray
G Cross
R Ford
A Jacobsen

L Jones
D Parks
C Cusiter
R Vernon
A Kellock
J Welsh
S Lawson

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:40 pm

Even the old boys have come out and implored Robinson to change his selection tactics now:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/rugby/scotlands-old-brigade-are-calling-for-young-reinforcements.16687484

Surely, SURELY he must take some notice to them. I can't imagine him being stubborn when people in the same rugby union as him are telling him that he needs to trust younger players. I think Hogg will get a go on Sunday and Weir will be on the bench, maybe even Scott if Robbo goes crazy (and Scott is actually free!). I said before this 6N started that it wouldn't be down to Robinson's coaching, or even Gregor Townsend's incompetence as a coach, it'd be whether Robinson was brave enough to make the right choices. He didn't in the first match, he's a clever man, he must re-evaluate how he chooses, ALL of these players are professionals, they should be capable of executing any game plan that he suggests, but more importantly they should be able to play what's in front of them. The A team did that, we need to get rid of the stale rubbish and bring in the young guns, otherwise we'll never score tries, and it'll be wooden spoon, bye bye Robinson, which is a shame because he's a good coach, but can he get over his selection issues?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:Matt Scott does look to be a very good prospect but lets not forget Ansbro who has looked comfortable so far playing for Scotland. I hope that he recovers from injury asap as I think he is a better player than De Luca at outside centre.

Hogg was apparently the fastest player in the Glasgow camp before Lamont signed. I remember a twitter post from one of the Glasgow coaches saying that Hogg’s record may be in jeopardy as the new guy is quite quick. They never followed up to say who was the fastest though. I’d have the Lamont’s and Hogg as the back 3. The brothers offer a more physical option out wide than Jones and Evans. Regardless of whether you think size isn’t a factor, it inevitably is. If he’s available, Scott at 12 is certainly an option. He’s faced these guys before and they’re no bigger in a Wales strip than they are in a Blues one. He’s 6’1” and over 15st, I think he can take care of himself. We have so many young guys around the fringes of the national team at the moment. There are 4 6N championships before the next WC, we should be aiming for these youngsters to be having 20+ caps by then.

+1 and then some

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:21 pm

Of course size is a factor, I just don't believe it should be the key quality to look for when selecting backs,look at Vincent Clerc and Shane Williams amongst others. The likes of Lomu could cover 100m in less than 11 seconds, I don't think any of our 'physical' backs could do the same, Morrison and a few others would need motorised help.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:03 pm

well Parks is now ruled out. Weir will definitely be on the bench I think purely because he hasn't played for Scotland before. I think Parks' retirement will shake Robinson to reality and hopefully he'll see his options now.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

As a Welshman I would be happy to see any Scottish side that Gray isn't in, I think this guy has it all and will be huge for Scotland and the Lions for many years.

Add Denton to and thats who, for me Scotland need to build their team around is guys like these.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm

aye I'd agree bedford, I think its very important we have a mobile pack, but at the same time we need to spice up our backline, which, if we pick edinburgh players I think we can do! Maybe not the same calibur as most backlines but we'd hopefully be going over rather than just dropping it or scoring penalties

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:

Hogg was apparently the fastest player in the Glasgow camp before Lamont signed. I remember a twitter post from one of the Glasgow coaches saying that Hogg’s record may be in jeopardy as the new guy is quite quick. They never followed up to say who was the fastest though. I’d have the Lamont’s and Hogg as the back 3. The brothers offer a more physical option out wide than Jones and Evans. Regardless of whether you think size isn’t
a factor, it inevitably is. If he’s available, Scott at 12 is certainly an option. He’s faced these guys before and they’re no bigger in a Wales strip than they are in a Blues one. He’s 6’1” and over 15st, I think he can take care of himself. We have so many young guys around the fringes of the national team at the moment. There are 4 6N championships before the next WC, we should be aiming for these youngsters to be having 20+ caps by then.

Scotabroad
Difference between Scott (who has trained hard and lost 4lbs with us now is just under 15st) and Sean is a clear 1 1/2 inches and 1 1/4 stone
Now compare that to the 4 Welsh boys he will be facing .......... shortest is Jon Davies and Priestland at same height but over 1 1/2 st and 1/2 st heavier respectively and Roberts who he will face directly at 6ft 4in and 17st 6lbs, and then you will have George North 6ft 4in and 16st,............... then you have Cuthbert

Yes he will be up there in offence mode deffo but

12 Scott 6ft 1in approx 15st 0 lb
13 NDL 6ft 0in approx 14st 11lb

12 Roberts 6ft 4in approx 17st 6lb
13 Davies 6ft 1in approx 16st 6lb

Tough call
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:15 pm

at this point with scotland I'd go for technique over size, we need to get over the line and not just stifle the opposition attack, we have plenty of big powerful forwards who can cover, look at how denton scrambled on saturday and how gray did last year. I think we should just go for it.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:22 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Scot Abroad wrote:

Hogg was apparently the fastest player in the Glasgow camp before Lamont signed. I remember a twitter post from one of the Glasgow coaches saying that Hogg’s record may be in jeopardy as the new guy is quite quick. They never followed up to say who was the fastest though. I’d have the Lamont’s and Hogg as the back 3. The brothers offer a more physical option out wide than Jones and Evans. Regardless of whether you think size isn’t
a factor, it inevitably is. If he’s available, Scott at 12 is certainly an option. He’s faced these guys before and they’re no bigger in a Wales strip than they are in a Blues one. He’s 6’1” and over 15st, I think he can take care of himself. We have so many young guys around the fringes of the national team at the moment. There are 4 6N championships before the next WC, we should be aiming for these youngsters to be having 20+ caps by then.

Scotabroad
Difference between Scott (who has trained hard and lost 4lbs with us now is just under 15st) and Sean is a clear 1 1/2 inches and 1 1/4 stone
Now compare that to the 4 Welsh boys he will be facing .......... shortest is Jon Davies and Priestland at same height but over 1 1/2 st and 1/2 st heavier respectively and Roberts who he will face directly at 6ft 4in and 17st 6lbs, and then you will have George North 6ft 4in and 16st,............... then you have Cuthbert

Tough call
FHF, I know what you're saying, but realistically who else would you play? Morrison or Lamont are both bigger but inferior attackers and not significantly better defenders? I think we should try it personally

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:45 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
Scot Abroad wrote:

Scotabroad

Tough call
FHF, I know what you're saying, but realistically who else would you play? Morrison or Lamont are both bigger but inferior attackers and not significantly better defenders? I think we should try it personally

Such a tough call but my back line would be

15 Hogg
14 Rory
13 NDL
12 Sean
11 Evans
10 Greig
9 Weir

I would have Scott on the bench to come on after 55 mins
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

9 = Blair ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:49 pm

ooops you are correct there alive555

Typo

9 Blair

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:51 pm

alive555 wrote:9 = Blair ?

No play Weir, they'd never see it coming Laugh

It's unlikely that Scott will be in the team so Sean will start at 12. Please no Morrison on the bench. Although Jones played well, I can't see him starting this game as well. Ramont the obvious choice to replace him with Hogg at FB.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

FHF, did you mean Greig and wee Duncy the other way round, or do you want to keep the club partnership? After I analysed the first half against England, it was pretty clear to me that having a non-distributor/bosher-type at 12 was ineffective for spreading the ball wide - I mean, sure, bang it up inside with forwards on the pop, or wings off their wing, but the ball needs to go beyond 12 sometimes - Schlong isn't, never has and never will be a true IC, sorry

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:59 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:FHF, did you mean Greig and wee Duncy the other way round, or do you want to keep the club partnership? After I analysed the first half against England, it was pretty clear to me that having a non-distributor/bosher-type at 12 was ineffective for spreading the ball wide - I mean, sure, bang it up inside with forwards on the pop, or wings off their wing, but the ball needs to go beyond 12 sometimes - Schlong isn't, never has and never will be a true IC, sorry

Shocked F@@k its been a long day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, stuck here in the midlands

Sorry our two men to start Laidlaw and Blair

I would contemplate the following after reading your thoughts

12 Scott
13 Sean

I thought Schlong did well last 6Ns and in the WC ........... in fact IMHO he was our best player over that 6-8 mths, and I agree he is not a 12 but rather him a centre 13 than a wing

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:01 pm

Aye, that would work, altho would be equally happy if we could put the Embra 9-10-12-13 combo together OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:05 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Aye, that would work, altho would be equally happy if we could put the Embra 9-10-12-13 combo together OK

Now that would be dream going forward..... and I would be a happy chappy............ ouch when the Welsh hits come in tho
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down