The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster vs Treviso

+13
SecretFly
Standulstermen
valjester
Rory_Gallagher
Feckless Rogue
thebandwagonsociety
Jenifer McLadyboy
Mickado
Shifty
Golden
Gibson
asoreleftshoulder
pete (buachaill on eirne)
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Leinster vs Treviso - Page 3 Empty Leinster vs Treviso

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

This game is being played on Thursday night, not sure when the team will be named but I expect us to win this but not by much.

Treviso have improved hugely and are granted missing some players but they are a physical bunch and have started winning more and more importantly more away games.

Will post the teams when they are up.

Anything to say about the game?
Looking forward to seeing some of the lesser known guys?
What would your team look like?
Anyone going to the game?

Back to top Go down

Leinster vs Treviso - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster vs Treviso

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:05 am

roddersm wrote:Schmidt just seems to have total faith in his whole squad, young and old.

He has faith in them because they show loyalty to and love of the system he's delivering to them. Young people like everything quick...all through their lives, parties, fast cars, fast women, quick talking, fast texting, moving all the time. It's just the rhythm of youth and it Should be the rhythm of modern rugby.
Back in the days of amateurism, that pace and invention couldn't be sustained by the majority of players because they just didn't have the science and time to back it all up. In professional outfits now, they have all those things down to perfection - training regimes, fitness programmes, quality nutrition, best medical backup. The resources are there and the players are there to sustain pace, invention, quick responses and aggression for long periods.
Our young players, from all Provinces, want to play the SH brand of rugby. It excites them, it pours adrenalin into their system and young people thrive on adrenalin - so does the game itself. Kidney or someone just needs to get their head out of the noughties and quickly devise new plans to take advantage of players who can play every bit as fast and accurately as their Welsh cousins...and on a consistent basis.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:07 am

Loved the game last night, very sext rugby in very tough conditions, the opposition don't affect the handling, which was sublime at times.

Madigan is a serious player all of a sudden and it is great he has actually got some game time in the HCup already this year, the improvement he made this year has been outstanding.

Carr is a squad player aye but if he got called up in a big game due to injury it wouldn't bother me too much, he has such good feet it is scary and he see's gaps like few others.

Iosa is a rugby playing demi god. This can't be seen as an exaggeration realistically!

Was impressed with Macken on how well he was able to get outside his man but people on here are right saying that his vision once in that spot was not what it could have been.

Was impressed with Hudson and Kearney Jr again.

Toner once again looked good

Hagan looked like a man possessed when he came on and did better in the scrums than I thought he would.

Were the commentators saying that Strauss was training with Ireland????????????????????????????????????????????

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:12 am

SecretFly wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:SF not saying it wasn't a good performance just saying ther opposition would have allowed them the freedom to play. They took it - fair enough but let see how it goes against better defences.

Against a better side, they'd have a tougher game. Of course they would. But I'd guarantee you, they'll still play to their strenghts when they get their opportunity, and will still try to kill off sides with pace and accuracy in attack.

That's what makes me happy because if you compare that blueprint (scientifically managed and consistently demanded) against the game the Irish are playing at the moment where there is absolutely no rhythm, no confidence and no blueprint continuing from one game to the next - the way Leinster do it is the most defined standard on Provincial rugby played on this island. The gameplan is infinitely more important than the players playing it. If the gameplan is a good one, then players of equal standard can step in at a moments notice and play it.

That's why I like what I see at Leinster, that's the grounds for confidence. Now, I know Ireland is a more difficult proposition for coaches who have players available to them for only short period in any year, but rather than trying to impose a confusing gamepland on them - why don't they just adapt the gameplan working so successfully (for now) at Leinster. I know the players from the other Provinces would buy into it, and the players from Leinster who already play it would already be up to speed with it.

I watch Leinster and in structure alone, I see how \ireland should organise itself. Gameplan first, then the players - not the other way around.

+1
Great post

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

Yes, he was...I heard that some time back....aiding them! I'm not sure he would have been wearing any Irish gear. I think he was said to be helping them out in some plays. But obviously it's him closer to the door that looks to be opening.

Now if only Nacewa had to do the right thing and have an Irish grandmother!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:16 am

Yeah super post Secretfly, I wish you and Gibson were the Ireland coaches! guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

roddersm wrote:Yeah super post Secretfly, I wish you and Gibson were the Ireland coaches! guinness

It'd be 67-14 to us at the weekend if we were Rodders! (And the bloody 14 points would only be as a result of the bloody ref again!!!)

That's a darn tootin promise! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

Excellent posts Fly. OK

Rodders, as the Dodger pointed out there’s 5 mins of highlights on the main page of the Leinster site. WELL worth a watch.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

OK Thanks Mick will check it out later.

I don't doubt it for a second Secretfly, we'll just have to be content with beating France by 3 - 5 points instead.... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

I'd love if Ireland played like Leinster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:47 am

I've looked at the highlights and they don't really tell the story. You'd need to see the whole game to get an impression of how the screw was turned...and the moments of magic from Nacewa and others sprinkled throughout the game that didn't involve try moments.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:53 am

My highlight was when Nacewa intercepted the crossfield kick and had the 1-2 with Macken (I think). I resulted in a knock on and concession of possession, but it was fan-bloody-tastic.

The last try is far more impressive than I first thought from my weather beaten vista on the South Stand.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:55 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Gibson wrote:Sore,
NO arguments on how he is handling the squad's devolopment. He has introduced and entrusted in more players than Marc Lièvremont on acid. And he has done it brilliantly. Man's a genius at it. Hes doing it again tonight in O' Shea and Hudson.

I just have to have a little moan. Ya know.

Can anyone tell me anything about O Shea and Hudson? Have to be honest and say Ive never seen them play. They must have played in the B&I Cup, no?

1stly. Sore is spot on re Mads. He has a big boot on him. Have seen him land them from his own half. But there is absolutely no hurry in getting him to placekick. The fact that he has not had that weight on his shoulder has enabled him to come on in leaps and bounds in his passing, game management etc. Time enough for him to bear that burden next season. Tonight was his 33rd game for Leinster (he's 22 years old ffs) He landed a tricky one tonight on full time. Go him. (little known Mads fact. His aunt is married to Mick Dawson's little brother)

A year ago, Madigan was behind McKinley. Mckinley looked the real deal at 10, Madigan could have been a 10, or 15, or 9.....etc. But did not look like a serious prospect at all.

In September, Madigan was behind Berquist for sure. Dan Carter's backup becomes Jonny Sexton's backup? I thought Christmas had come early.

Poor old Matt got badly hurt, Ian McKinley never came back from the eye injury, and the lad who looked like an also ran became a star......

O'Shea, Macken and Hudson have been tearing up trees for Leinster A in the B&I Cup.

Macken was bracketed with Andrew Conway as the new "Bod and Shaggy" a few years ago in school. I reckon Macken became a victim of his own physique. 6'2" and powerful with an eye for a gap. He probably never had to work that hard in SCT Rugby. Conway pushed ahead despite his smaller frame and seeming injury prone......ness.

Macken has knuckled down and paid his dues in the B&I (He was injured last season don't forget) and had a pretty good game tonight. Think he could well come good at 13.

When you have Bod in your team, he will always play the big games when fit, for as long as he wants to. (He is good enough to play into his 40s ffs, despite the high mileage) This will create a vacuum behind him, to be filled by.........EOM/MCFad/Macken/who knows.

Hudson is the real deal. Big focker for his age. Massive legs on him.

Gibbo. Living in Nederlands/Niederlande/Eh...Holland you may not have been at this game.

Can't seem to find a direct link. But if you go to http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/ and click on archive on the left, and navigate to August 2011. Find the Leinster v Rebels friendly in Donnybrook, and go to 2 minutes in.

It illustrates 3 things. 1/ Carr is a great broken field runner (but you knew that) 2/ Berquist can time a pass like you wouldn't believe. 3 Hudson can finish. (he still had a lot to do when he caught that ball, and it looked even better live)

Must have bed......fading.....drink....etc.....

Thanks for the input Jen. Did you play school-rugby with some of these guys?

Macken was hyped a while back and maybe it went to his ceann. But I believe he will make it. The competition around him is fierce, behind BOD & Darcy. This will help him.

I really hope BOD doesn't hang around longer than his sell-by date. I hope he makes the decision himself. Cant see him making the Lions and I think that is inspiring him to go on. His realistic hopes are beating NZ in a Test and another Heino, imo. I want to see McFadden and O Malley as 1st choice centres next year. Its time. I think BOD will finally go when Kidney goes. 18 months max.

Ireland will dip when he goes. They already have without him around. That's why its vital we bring the young ones through - while he's there to tutor and share game time with them. To me, McFadden & O Malley will be ready to step up as a centre-pairing by next season. BOD can be used sparingly in the meantime - some HC and the big PRO12 games. This long rest may see him come back and confound everyone. Again. He's unreal.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I'd love if Ireland played like Leinster

Wouldn't we all Pete, but it won't happen. Its not the players its the coaches. If you put Schmidt in charge of Ireland then they would play the same way.

Would that be as successful though at International level? I think it would yes.

If you took the spine of Leinster with the likes of Best, Ferris, Bowe, POC, Earls, Trimble, O'Mahoney, Ryan, Zebo, Tuohy, Murray etc. and put Schmidt in charge then there is no limit as to what we could achieve in my opinion.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:06 pm

roddersm wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I'd love if Ireland played like Leinster

Wouldn't we all Pete, but it won't happen. Its not the players its the coaches. If you put Schmidt in charge of Ireland then they would play the same way.

Would that be as successful though at International level? I think it would yes.

If you took the spine of Leinster with the likes of Best, Ferris, Bowe, POC, Earls, Trimble, O'Mahoney, Ryan, Zebo, Tuohy, Murray etc. and put Schmidt in charge then there is no limit as to what we could achieve in my opinion.

That's a clear stream... in summer. The one you can hover over and look into and see the bottom rippling in smooth light. All that you said is not impossible Rodders. And that's why all of us have a duty to kinda keep pushing for it. No, I'm not out for Kidney's head on a plate. He gave us our GS, he was a great Munster coach and gave me many happy moments as I looked on in wonder at their heroic HC exploits. I just want an acknowledgement that the game now must go to where the players playing in today's Ireland are most comfortable. The positive is that I feel it will arrive, one way or another, it just has to happen.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm

Fionn Carr had some good highlights there when he runs back against traffic after a kick he is so dangerous because his speed draws so many defenders.

Nacewa interception and run up the wing was sexy rugby at it's best, also love how he waded through a tackle to give the try scoring pass to Cooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:SF not saying it wasn't a good performance just saying ther opposition would have allowed them the freedom to play. They took it - fair enough but let see how it goes against better defences.

Against a better side, they'd have a tougher game. Of course they would. But I'd guarantee you, they'll still play to their strenghts when they get their opportunity, and will still try to kill off sides with pace and accuracy in attack.

That's what makes me happy because if you compare that blueprint (scientifically managed and consistently demanded) against the game the Irish are playing at the moment where there is absolutely no rhythm, no confidence and no blueprint continuing from one game to the next - the way Leinster do it is the most defined standard on Provincial rugby played on this island. The gameplan is infinitely more important than the players playing it. If the gameplan is a good one, then players of equal standard can step in at a moments notice and play it.

That's why I like what I see at Leinster, that's the grounds for confidence. Now, I know Ireland is a more difficult proposition for coaches who have players available to them for only short period in any year, but rather than trying to impose a confusing gamepland on them - why don't they just adapt the gameplan working so successfully (for now) at Leinster. I know the players from the other Provinces would buy into it, and the players from Leinster who already play it would already be up to speed with it.

I watch Leinster and in structure alone, I see how \ireland should organise itself. Gameplan first, then the players - not the other way around.

+1
Great post
Excellent post Fly. 1st a set game plan, nae - a fluid system, where everyone knows what their job is. Then mould the players to fit the System. From Academy up. Same system, making it a seemless transition when they get to the 1st 22. This is not just coming from Schmidt. It is a stated Leinster Mission and he is enhancing it to the max. Its The Leinster Way. AJAX started this a long time ago and they have been studied and copied, by clubs across the codes. Watching AJAX kids play (my son played for them) is a copy, in miniature, of the 1st team. Moulding players (and men) and giving them freedom of expression and individual responsibility, as a collective and allied to a System. If they are happy it will show on the feild. It patently does. They love it.

Toulouse have been doing it for yonks and you can see the resultant long-term success, under the magnificent Noves. To my mind, Toulouse have been the role-model to aspire to. As a club, from top to bottom, their ethos, their professionalism, how they handle themselves on the field and off it. Even in defeat. Its a complete package. And we're nearly there. A class move was to ensure that all players had access to higher education at UCD -as a rookie or a full squad player. It was part of the deal when we moved our training camp there. Its a superb setup. World Class. Leinster are also getting leading-edge, Sport-science backup, of the highest order there. It's all these things combined that make the difference. It was money well invested, and a Mission Statement, which has been adhered to and improved on, back 7 or 8 years ago, that has us where we are now.

Good man Mick Dawson. Take a bow.

Its a great time to be a Leinster fan.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm

Gibson wrote:
Its a great time to be a Leinster fan.

Couldn't agree more.
So happy with all the things going on in the club and am so proud of the strides we have made on and off the field in the last 5 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:25 pm

Gibson wrote:Thanks for the input Jen. Did you play school-rugby with some of these guys?

Laugh

Sadly no. Played my schools rugby well before any of them were born.

PS was pi$$ed posting that. Note the timestamp. Fecken tired today. Gotta go home and fall asleep in front of the Ulster game.

Actually scratch that. I'll watch that another time and watch Embra lash the Hairspreys in Scots Gaelic.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3