The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster vs Treviso

+13
SecretFly
Standulstermen
valjester
Rory_Gallagher
Feckless Rogue
thebandwagonsociety
Jenifer McLadyboy
Mickado
Shifty
Golden
Gibson
asoreleftshoulder
pete (buachaill on eirne)
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Leinster vs Treviso - Page 2 Empty Leinster vs Treviso

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

This game is being played on Thursday night, not sure when the team will be named but I expect us to win this but not by much.

Treviso have improved hugely and are granted missing some players but they are a physical bunch and have started winning more and more importantly more away games.

Will post the teams when they are up.

Anything to say about the game?
Looking forward to seeing some of the lesser known guys?
What would your team look like?
Anyone going to the game?

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Leinster vs Treviso - Page 2 Empty Re: Leinster vs Treviso

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 09 Feb 2012, 5:55 pm

Ah yeah it's not a big issue and in fairness I would like to see Madigan take over the kicking duties but I can see why he hasn't done it yet and I think he was right not to do it from the start.

In fairness Madigan is probably ready I'm just okay with waiting if that's what Schmidt thinks is best.So good to have a coach that knows how to get the best out of all the players in his squad.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Saw Hudson for the under 20s in the 6 nations. Scored a hat trick in his first game. Didnt look amazing but a very good finisher. Not much to go on to be honest. Have never even heard of O'Shea

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

Thanks Golden. Just have to run de eye over them tonight. Macken really needs to start pushing on and start showing his early promise. Not easy with 2 x rookies beside him, but he should start showing it nonetheless.

Really looking forward to this.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:22 pm

Williams (Treviso) is a fantastic player. Some after-burners there.

Isa wakes the crowd up. Brings the game to Life. He is SO special.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:40 pm

Who is the commentator? Not O'Shea.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

Daire O' Brien. He's grand. Like de cut of his jib.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:55 pm

Gibson wrote:Daire O' Brien. He's grand. Like de cut of his jib.

Nah the match commentator, I found out its Hugh Cahill. He does my head in
whenever I listen to him, never has a clue whats going on but I suppose that
isn't exactly uncommon for an Irish rugby commentator.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:08 pm

Laugh

True. Love Georgie Hook tho. He's gloating like phhok now. Hes my Hero... Complete gobshoite, but I love im. Its entertainment, at least, when he goes on one.

O Shea and Quinlan. Class acts both. Future Irish team-coaches? They both talk and write a good game. O Shea, at Quins, has been a revelation.
As has Quinny as a commentator/rugby journo. He's like a breath of fresh air.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:12 pm

Gibson wrote: Laugh

True. Love Georgie Hook tho. He's gloating like phhok now. Hes my Hero... Complete gobshoite, but I love im. Its entertainment at least, when he goes on one.

O Shea and Quinlan. Class acts both. Future Irish team-coaches? They both talk and write a good game. O Shea, at Quins, has been a revelation.

Foley will probably be involved with Ireland before Quinlan, looks like Foley will be in charge of Munster sooner rather than later. I'm not really sure on O'Shea, he did an excellent job with L.Irish but he went sour there before he left but he has done a lot of good things. There is also Mark McCall who is doing a good job at Saracens.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:17 pm

valjester wrote:
Gibson wrote: Laugh

True. Love Georgie Hook tho. He's gloating like phhok now. Hes my Hero... Complete gobshoite, but I love im. Its entertainment at least, when he goes on one.

Foley will probably be involved with Ireland before Quinlan, looks like Foley will be in charge of Munster sooner rather than later. I'm not really sure on O'Shea, he did an excellent job with L.Irish but he went sour there before he left but he has done a lot of good things. There is also Mark McCall who is doing a good job at Saracens.

All true. Axel has rejuvinated Munster. Its obvious. Boot-room effect. He knows what makes Munster tick. They were losing that. Its Vital. Yeah, Axel is fast growing in stature. His influence of late, makes him Munsters next coach for me.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:19 pm

Bollox! Treviso try. clap

14-8. Making hard work of this. I was right about this game earlier. If we are not clicking, they will cause us trouble.

MON Leinster!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

Gibson wrote:Bollox! Treviso try. clap

14-8. Making hard work of this. I was right about this game earlier. If we are not clicking, they will cause us trouble.

MON Leinster!

Yeah my Leinster by 24 bet is looking f**ked.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:24 pm

nice by carr, strauss try, nacewa conversion?

edit; yep straight between the posts.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

Maybe my bet will come through, try nacewa, beautiful by Kearney jr.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:34 pm

One of the worst scrumhalves I've ever seen, scores the bonus point try for Leinster and wins me my bet.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:40 pm

Scratch what I said earlier. We are breaking loose. All fired by Isa. Hes unreal. Never lets up at any level. Real pro.

Just left to shouts of ISA. Love it.

They are well broken now. 35-8.

Carr running riot here.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:43 pm

Have to say these Leinster backs would have done a lot more damage against Wales than the irish ones! Madigan, Kearney, Macken, Carr etc. They all look like brilliant players.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:50 pm

Macken shone tonight. As did Madigan. And Carr.

But ISA. Man. ISA.

We are sooo phhoking lucky. Really. Blessed to have him.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:57 pm

Didn't even think to give Isa a mention, he is just one step ahead of the rest. Leinster have this HEC in the hat I feel. Just so much talent.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:58 pm

Gibson, do you hope Macken becomes a 12 or stays at 13? Or would you rather have he and EOM fighting for the 13 shirt?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:03 pm

Madigan is really exciting,it's rare that a pass on a rugby field makes me gasp but he seems to throw one that does it every match.
He really has bags of talent and we're lucky to have him.To think I was gutted when McKinley retired as I thought he had potential but Madigan has rally stepped up to the plate this year.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:05 pm

Oh Macken is a born 13. Like O Malley. The fun will start between those two, very soon. Both so talented. Both future Irish full internationals. Cant wait. All good. zen
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:07 pm

Future Leinster back-line?

9) McGrath
10) Madigan
11) Fitzgerald
12) EOM
13) Macken
14) Kearney Jr.
15) Kearney Sr.

That is one talented group of young players.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:09 pm

Gibson wrote:Oh Macken is a born 13. Like O Malley. The fun will start between those two, very soon. Both so talented. Both future Irish full internationals. Cant wait. All good. zen

I still think O'Malley has the vision/creativity to play 12. His physicality could be a problem, but maybe he would find it easier to position himself at 12. Macken looks a definite 13. Similar to Spence.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:13 pm

fantastic result. look forward to highlights.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:14 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Madigan is really exciting,it's rare that a pass on a rugby field makes me gasp but he seems to throw one that does it every match.
He really has bags of talent and we're lucky to have him.To think I was gutted when McKinley retired as I thought he had potential but Madigan has rally stepped up to the plate this year.

Spot on Sir! guinness

It was a cryin shame what happened young Ian McKinley. He was a future Leinster star in the making. Rugby is cruel sometimes.

But Madigan has been a revelation. He lights it all up, when on a run. Incredible step and swerve on him. Loses them like Mike Gibson.
Sexton had better watch his arse. In a rugby way like. I suspect Madigan could do more actual damage than him, in an Irish jersey. He cant stop scoring and making tries.
Just needs to feicin kick!

Good win though.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:38 pm

Gibson wrote: I suspect Madigan could do more actual damage than him, in an Irish jersey.

I suspect he'd knuckle down and obey orders. Ireland seems to be a stable enough mini-black hole at the moment. Great players glowing class and confidence go over the Event Horizon and............................. well, nothing comes out only darkness.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:47 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Gibson wrote: I suspect Madigan could do more actual damage than him, in an Irish jersey.

I suspect he'd knuckle down and obey orders. Ireland seems to be a stable enough mini-black hole at the moment. Great players glowing class and confidence go over the Event Horizon and............................. well, nothing comes out only darkness.

Laugh Jessus Fly you sound more bleak about it all than I am. I dont like that man.

Just think positive. In 18 months, all this pain will still seem like a nightmare. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:41 am

Gibson wrote:Oh Macken is a born 13. Like O Malley. The fun will start between those two, very soon. Both so talented. Both future Irish full internationals. Cant wait. All good. zen

Macken might pick up a few caps but that will be it. He lacks awareness. You hardly ever see him pass the ball but he is a good runner. He is like Spence. They played together for the Irish U20 side last year. They were hyped up but also on that team was Eoin Griffin who outplayed the 2 of them and has that bit of class that Macken and Spence lack.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:09 am

Great result for Leinster consider all the top players out of selection. The pack really manned up in the game from 1 to 8.

The backs ran great lines and Madigan/Isa/Carr pulled the strings. The youngsters are short and light, they make BOD and Darcy look like giants. Thankfully Treviso only tried to use Williams jinking on the odd occasions the ball made it away from the Treviso pack.

Fitness levels told towards the end as Leinster maintained/increased the tempo with Treviso not having any response, 1 try in almost 60 minutes of play and 4 tries in the just over the final 20 minutes.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:40 am

Gibson wrote:Sore,
NO arguments on how he is handling the squad's devolopment. He has introduced and entrusted in more players than Marc Lièvremont on acid. And he has done it brilliantly. Man's a genius at it. Hes doing it again tonight in O' Shea and Hudson.

I just have to have a little moan. Ya know.

Can anyone tell me anything about O Shea and Hudson? Have to be honest and say Ive never seen them play. They must have played in the B&I Cup, no?

1stly. Sore is spot on re Mads. He has a big boot on him. Have seen him land them from his own half. But there is absolutely no hurry in getting him to placekick. The fact that he has not had that weight on his shoulder has enabled him to come on in leaps and bounds in his passing, game management etc. Time enough for him to bear that burden next season. Tonight was his 33rd game for Leinster (he's 22 years old ffs) He landed a tricky one tonight on full time. Go him. (little known Mads fact. His aunt is married to Mick Dawson's little brother)

A year ago, Madigan was behind McKinley. Mckinley looked the real deal at 10, Madigan could have been a 10, or 15, or 9.....etc. But did not look like a serious prospect at all.

In September, Madigan was behind Berquist for sure. Dan Carter's backup becomes Jonny Sexton's backup? I thought Christmas had come early.

Poor old Matt got badly hurt, Ian McKinley never came back from the eye injury, and the lad who looked like an also ran became a star......

O'Shea, Macken and Hudson have been tearing up trees for Leinster A in the B&I Cup.

Macken was bracketed with Andrew Conway as the new "Bod and Shaggy" a few years ago in school. I reckon Macken became a victim of his own physique. 6'2" and powerful with an eye for a gap. He probably never had to work that hard in SCT Rugby. Conway pushed ahead despite his smaller frame and seeming injury prone......ness.

Macken has knuckled down and paid his dues in the B&I (He was injured last season don't forget) and had a pretty good game tonight. Think he could well come good at 13.

When you have Bod in your team, he will always play the big games when fit, for as long as he wants to. (He is good enough to play into his 40s ffs, despite the high mileage) This will create a vacuum behind him, to be filled by.........EOM/MCFad/Macken/who knows.

Hudson is the real deal. Big focker for his age. Massive legs on him.

Gibbo. Living in Nederlands/Niederlande/Eh...Holland you may not have been at this game.

Can't seem to find a direct link. But if you go to http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/ and click on archive on the left, and navigate to August 2011. Find the Leinster v Rebels friendly in Donnybrook, and go to 2 minutes in.

It illustrates 3 things. 1/ Carr is a great broken field runner (but you knew that) 2/ Berquist can time a pass like you wouldn't believe. 3 Hudson can finish. (he still had a lot to do when he caught that ball, and it looked even better live)

Must have bed......fading.....drink....etc.....

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:43 am

profitius wrote:

Macken might pick up a few caps but that will be it. He lacks awareness. You hardly ever see him pass the ball but he is a good runner. He is like Spence. They played together for the Irish U20 side last year. They were hyped up but also on that team was Eoin Griffin who outplayed the 2 of them and has that bit of class that Macken and Spence lack.

I did think Macken shown a lack of awareness at times, and had no offloading game, but that can definitely be taught. Last season, Spence shown plenty of times that he had great awareness, and had a few moments of true class that got him a lot of recognition. However, his passing and awareness does needs improvement, but like I said that will come with time. Apart from that I feel he is the most physical of the three, and can compete with any centre in that regard. Griffin has also impressed me greatly. The three are quite similar players, and I feel that one of them will certainly be the next 13 for Ireland. Maybe I am biased, but I personally hope it is Marshall and Spence Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:45 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Great result for Leinster consider all the top players out of selection. The pack really manned up in the game from 1 to 8.

The backs ran great lines and Madigan/Isa/Carr pulled the strings. The youngsters are short and light, they make BOD and Darcy look like giants. Thankfully Treviso only tried to use Williams jinking on the odd occasions the ball made it away from the Treviso pack.

Fitness levels told towards the end as Leinster maintained/increased the tempo with Treviso not having any response, 1 try in almost 60 minutes of play and 4 tries in the just over the final 20 minutes.

Which youngsters? Macken, Hudson, O'Shea are all massive. Cooney has bulked up this year. Brendan Williams is tiny. Fabulous player though. Great awareness.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:46 am

Well O'Shea is 5 foot 11 and 90 something kgs, which I wouldn't consider massive..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:55 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Well O'Shea is 5 foot 11 and 90 something kgs, which I wouldn't consider massive..
Big focking legs on him, wouldn't like to mess with him. Darce is of similar dimensions and he could run through people at will in his day. Also has scarily big legs on him, and a low centre of gravity. Check out footage of him running through massive forwards in his heyday.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:16 am

That was the Isa show. Great game, we really wore them down before upping the tempo and putting up a score. Thought Macken and O'Shea looked good, Hudson and Carr seemed to find every gap. Madigan is on serious form too.

14 point clear at the top. Nice.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:16 am

Any chance someone with highlights could throw me a private message please (with the highlights that is) Very Happy

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:24 am

Dodger, I’ve not seen any highlights yet. they might have them on the Leinster website soon though.
One of the supporters used to upload all of our tries to youtube once upon a time, that’s all dried up now.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:28 am

Ah I see Mickado, Ulster fans are quite lucky someone always uploads highlights of our matches, I'll keep an eye out on the Leinster website though.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:32 am

If i see anything I'll post it on this thread OK

Suffice to say that in the highlight reel, roughly half of it will involve Nacewa. Sensational game, he was playing like the king from the first whistle. Very tough night for good handling but he was popping up all over the place.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:52 am

They are up, top right corner of Leinster home page - see what you mean about Nacewa Wink

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:05 am

Just had to re-watch it there. The last try was sensational.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:29 am

Good win buts let be clear the opposition was missing as many as Leinster through International call ups and would have nowhere near as much depth.

Also whilst the backs shone, the best back was NIQ.
Carr for instance will never be more than a squad player

Job done but I would not get too excited about individual performances given the quality of opposition.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:01 am

Hey feck whats going on here? Games on thursday night? Why wasn't I told about this?? Shocked

What happened anyways? What was the score?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:04 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Good win buts let be clear the opposition was missing as many as Leinster through International call ups and would have nowhere near as much depth.

Also whilst the backs shone, the best back was NIQ.
Carr for instance will never be more than a squad player

Job done but I would not get too excited about individual performances given the quality of opposition.

...what's that line? You can only beat what's in front of you?

It's not about Treviso missing their best players or Leinster missing theirs. It's about the committment to continually playing a high tempo and accurate game that wastes very few chances on bad handling, mistimed runs, breaks made without the necessary support.

The point about last night is that players who are quite a bit below first team selections all put their hand up and were professionally drilled to play a game everyone still recognised as copyright Leinster.

They could only do what they did - and what they did was to be merciless when they got their openings and to be ruthless to the end in making, yes, a poor side, suffer.

Would 2nd or 3rd string players from the other Provinces do that? They might, they might not. I think all too often we talk about the quality of the opposition as the dampener (don't get cocky it was only a B team you played against) And the Leinster kids, aided by a special player in Nacewa, demonstrated the quality of that opposition - which doesn't always happen when B teams meet.

As for Carr. Yes, he'll be frustrated in a side stacked with promising and senior backs. But a squad player in Leinster right now isn't so great an insult...as that's very much how it's run, as a real functioning squad - not just a name attached to a team of deadcerts and a few hangers on.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

roddersm wrote:Hey feck whats going on here? Games on thursday night? Why wasn't I told about this?? Shocked

Some beautiful rugby happened last night Rodders...for a change! Don't know how you missed it. 42 -8

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:12 am

SF not saying it wasn't a good performance just saying ther opposition would have allowed them the freedom to play. They took it - fair enough but let see how it goes against better defences.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:23 am

SecretFly wrote:
roddersm wrote:Hey feck whats going on here? Games on thursday night? Why wasn't I told about this?? Shocked

Some beautiful rugby happened last night Rodders...for a change! Don't know how you missed it. 42 -8

Thursday's my yoga night Secret fly .... zen ...... there must have been a fair few scores, raging I missed it... furious
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:33 am

geoff998rugby wrote:SF not saying it wasn't a good performance just saying ther opposition would have allowed them the freedom to play. They took it - fair enough but let see how it goes against better defences.

Against a better side, they'd have a tougher game. Of course they would. But I'd guarantee you, they'll still play to their strenghts when they get their opportunity, and will still try to kill off sides with pace and accuracy in attack.

That's what makes me happy because if you compare that blueprint (scientifically managed and consistently demanded) against the game the Irish are playing at the moment where there is absolutely no rhythm, no confidence and no blueprint continuing from one game to the next - the way Leinster do it is the most defined standard on Provincial rugby played on this island. The gameplan is infinitely more important than the players playing it. If the gameplan is a good one, then players of equal standard can step in at a moments notice and play it.

That's why I like what I see at Leinster, that's the grounds for confidence. Now, I know Ireland is a more difficult proposition for coaches who have players available to them for only short period in any year, but rather than trying to impose a confusing gamepland on them - why don't they just adapt the gameplan working so successfully (for now) at Leinster. I know the players from the other Provinces would buy into it, and the players from Leinster who already play it would already be up to speed with it.

I watch Leinster and in structure alone, I see how \ireland should organise itself. Gameplan first, then the players - not the other way around.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:47 am

SecretFly wrote:
I watch Leinster and in structure alone, I see how \ireland should organise itself. Gameplan first, then the players - not the other way around.

Thats what impresses me most about Leinster. They play the same way regardless of the players. They don't change their style or play a more conservative way if players are injured. There is a system in place and attacking and defensive patterns and anyone who comes in just slots straight in seemlessly. Schmidt just seems to have total faith in his whole squad, young and old.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next