The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Kirwan interested in Ulster job

3 posters

Go down

John Kirwan interested in Ulster job Empty John Kirwan interested in Ulster job

Post by Kingshu Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16943041

Former All Blacks star John Kirwan has said that he is interested in the vacant Ulster coaching job but has not been contacted about the position.

The ex-Italy coach has been linked with the job since it was revealed that Ulster will not offer Brian McLaughlin a new deal at the end of this season.

"All the Irish clubs are looking to win the Heineken Cup. I'd look at any offers," said Kirwan.

"But I haven't had any contact from anyone there."

Speaking to the Irish Independent , Kirwan said that he is looking for a job with a "side that wants to go places".

"If Ulster are keen on winning the Heineken Cup or the Pro12 League, I'd be keen to get involved.

"It's not something that I'll pursue. If I'm on their list, that would be okay. If not, I'm not going to worry about it."

Kirwan also managed Japan from 2007 to 2011 before stepping down from that job after last year's World Cup.

Well thoughts?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

John Kirwan interested in Ulster job Empty Re: John Kirwan interested in Ulster job

Post by Kingshu Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:31 pm

Personally I'm not sure, he's a big name, but has he really done a great coaching job anywhere?

Italy, did he do any better than anyone else would? Personally I don't think so, he did a decent job, but not a good one.
Japan, I think they've moved up the ranking, but they do have a good league to produce players, again a decent job but not a great one.

Imo he'd do a decent job, but McL is doing a decent job, so don't see why we'd replace him with someone I'd say is of the same caliber.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

John Kirwan interested in Ulster job Empty Re: John Kirwan interested in Ulster job

Post by Standulstermen Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

He hasn't been approached kings

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:43 pm

I know, TBH i'was hopeing all the Ulster talk wil move to here, as i'm tired of having to flick through 10 pages of what i've already read, to get to the new stuff on my phone

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 08 Feb 2012, 6:22 pm

Fair enough, kings - it's messing with my head.

Anyone see this from McL on tge Ukster website?

"Further to yesterday's press conference and the subsequent media reports I wish to clarify my situation and apologise for any misunderstanding that may have arisen.

Last year I sought and was successful in securing a permanent contract with Ulster Rugby. This allowed me the job security to leave my teaching post and follow a professional coaching career. At the same time, I extended my role as Head Coach for the 2011-12 season.

While I will be leaving the post of Head Coach in June this year I will not be leaving the staff and in fact will take on a senior coaching role within the Ulster Academy. This is an important role which I take very seriously and one to which I will bring extensive experience. It also indicates the investment we are making in our future players.

I look forward to finishing this season strongly with the senior team and am committed to my new role developing the Ulster players of the future."

I can practically hear the cocking of the hammer of the revolver pointed at the back of his head as he writes it at his laptop.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down