The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Changes for Wales Match

+51
slartibartfast
BigTrevsbigmac
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Breadvan
sirtidychris
HammerofThunor
robbo277
andy powells minder
Triangulation
Adam
Chjw131
RubyGuby
englandglory4ever
Cowshot
damage_13
bluestonevedder
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
Alex_Germany
dummy_half
TycroesOsprey
nobbled
miteyironpaw
hugo124
adambarney
king_carlos
stlowe
Hood83
funnyExiledScot
flankertye
Geordie
Southampton Osprey
hawalsh
eirebilly
DaveM
bedfordwelsh
B91212
niwatts
PJHolybloke
munkian
EnglishReign
robshaw4england
Cymroglan
Manu's Boxing Coach
yappysnap
doctor_grey
ChequeredJersey
thomh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
majesticimperialman
Armchairexpert
55 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

England Changes for Wales Match Empty England Changes for Wales Match

Post by Armchairexpert Sat 11 Feb 2012, 8:23 pm

I think there will be a few changes for Wales.

Most obvious is Dickson for Youngs, think that is a dead cert

Morgan impressed although only briefly, went pretty quiet after a blasting start. Dowson had a much better game and I'd be tempted to move him to 6 to accommodate Morgan, bench Croft, That said if Wood is back, maybe both Dowson and Croft will go. Depends how hard Lancaster wants people to work for the jersey.

Flood certainly gets a start if he comes through the next two weekends OK. Harsh on Hodgson our only try scorer as he may not even make the bench depending on what happens with Farrell

And here the real conundrum. Tuilagi must come in but for who. Farrell or Barrit. For me, assuming Flood plays and kicks Barrit stays and Farrell gets the bench spot, bye bye Charlie.

Lawes I think will need to work to get back in the side. For me he is not as great as people make out, Palmer certainly outplayed him at the WC and he had a much better game today.

Lastly I think Ashton is on borrowed time, but with all those changes inside him i'd probably leave things be for the next match. Oh and Hartley better watch himself IF another decent hooker starts to show.

Armchairexpert

Back to top Go down

England Changes for Wales Match Empty Re: England Changes for Wales Match

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 11 Feb 2012, 8:33 pm

Flood certainly gets a start if he comes through the next two weekends OK. Harsh on Hodgson our only try scorer as he may not even make the bench depending on what happens with Farrell

Since Lancaster as taken over i dont think any one is a certainty to start any game. Players must earn the right, the respect to wear the shirt nowadays.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 11 Feb 2012, 8:51 pm

Ashton, like Strettle really hasnt had a chance to do anything yet.
It worries me that Lancaster seems to be stuck in the Robinson mode of thinking where our wingers are their to field the oppositions kicks and make tackles, and the 12 is there to make sure the ball gets kicked if the 10 forgets to do it.
Its like going back in time 6 years watching this lot.

The only certain change is Morgan for Dowson ( unless Lancaster wants to be lynched by the internets ) Wood coming in is much more complex, maybe the bench for him with Dowson executed at dawn...really been ineffective in both games...Morgan comes on for a few minutes and makes as much yardage as the other forwards in both games combined.
Lawes is a possible, may depend on him getting gametime next weekend for saints.
Flood is fully fit and functional, but Hodgsons done surprisingly well. I dont think his partnership with farrell gives any threat or options for the SHso yeah probably him in, tough on Hodgson though. I cant see them kicking the medias golden boy out of the 22 so Farrell will surely be at 12 or the bench.
That depends on the Tuilagi issue. Barritt hasnt done much in either game aside form tackle, but thats not really his fault directly. As with Hodgson, and Farrell , he doesnt deserve dropping on the basis of his own play. Hed certainly make a good bench option ahead of JTH.
I suspect Lancaster will stick with Farrell at 12 simply because thats the system he wants to play. But up against the big Welsh centers wouldnt Barrit and Tuilagi be a more sensible choice?
Youngs and Dickson... well hopefuly Youngs will be allowed to play with Flood next weekend and show if he can get some more fire with him. I think hes suffered a lot from polaying with a 10 who offers no running threat, defences no damn well CH isnt going to run at them. He hasnt been using his own running game either, so the attempts to draw defenders and make space for CH to run through have been ridiculous on both accounts. Dickson certainly looked like he was trying to do everything Youngs hadnt, although he did end up getting caught himself being rash a couple of times. I can understand why Youngs was upset getting dragged off just when team had a lift, Dicksons taken a lot of plaudits but the same happened in the last game, when CH got the try the whole team rallied and briefly looked vaguely threatening.
Foden was pretty awful for most of the match. Brown must be getting frustrated, but we know Foden ( like Youngs) can be better than that and has been part of some decent attacking sides in the past.

Quite a lot of possibilities. I do think England need to get some drive into the team. Not making changes would be ignoring how poorly they have played.
But at the same time we are seeing a lesson in how important continuity is. The side has looked very badly organised, and lacking direction and leadership at times. Chopping half the side wont help that.
But Lancaster keeps saying he will give players a chance to force their way in, and is supposed to be rotating the captaincy. Some of the players coming back are proven performers, and for all the abuse it got the world cup team played better rugby than this one has so far.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:28 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Ashton, like Strettle really hasnt had a chance to do anything yet.
It worries me that Lancaster seems to be stuck in the Robinson mode of thinking where our wingers are their to field the oppositions kicks and make tackles, and the 12 is there to make sure the ball gets kicked if the 10 forgets to do it.

In fairness we haven't had the power in midfield to make space for the wingers so far. When Tuilagi comes back and Morgan gets a start we should start putting them in more space.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:But Lancaster keeps saying he will give players a chance to force their way in, and is supposed to be rotating the captaincy.
He's not "supposed" to be rotating the captaincy - he just briefed that he may consider it as part of developing the leadership group. In any case - why is that such a requirement now? Robshaw (according to the admittedly dodgy espn stats) made more than double the number of tackles of any other England player today, and missed none. Hardly been letting the side down in leading by example. I'd say Tuilagi is the only one who should walk straight back in I think.

Agree with a lot of your post though.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:31 pm

thomh wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Ashton, like Strettle really hasnt had a chance to do anything yet.

In fairness we haven't had the power in midfield to make space for the wingers so far. When Tuilagi comes back and Morgan gets a start we should start putting them in more space.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:But Lancaster keeps saying he will give players a chance to force their way in, and is supposed to be rotating the captaincy.
He's not "supposed" to be rotating the captaincy - he just briefed that he may consider it as part of developing the leadership group. In any case - why is that such a requirement now? Robshaw (according to the admittedly dodgy espn stats) made more than double the number of tackles of any other England player today, and missed none. Hardly been letting the side down in leading by example. I'd say Tuilagi is the only one who should walk straight back in I think.

Agree with a lot of your post though.

Yeah but I think they are attributing some of Croft's tackles to Robshaw because they look similar. If not, then that 17 tackles is very impressive! On this basis we should bench Croft then bring him on anyway as nobody will realise that he and Robshaw are different people, especially if we give him the same shirt and make Robshaw shave Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:35 pm

Croft could just hang out on the wing in a 7 shirt waiting for the crossfield kick, Robshaw in the middle doing all the hard work.
Even with two of them itll be tough against Wales though, I read a statistical fact on the internet that it takes 17 successful tackles to bring North down once.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:37 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Croft could just hang out on the wing in a 7 shirt waiting for the crossfield kick, Robshaw in the middle doing all the hard work.
Even with two of them itll be tough against Wales though, I read a statistical fact on the internet that it takes 17 successful tackles to bring North down once.

Lucky we have Croftshaw then- well over 20 tackles each game
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:49 pm

Have to agree about Youngs - time for some time off. Far too many box kicks literally giving precious possession away. Not to mention the very slow ball. Dickson actually got the team moving.

Flood in for Hodgson. The blocks aside, England have done almost nothing on the attack against the two weakest teams in the Six Nations.

England need Lawes in the team. He brings physicality which England simply do not have. Someone has to make way.

Possibly Morgan, though after a few runs, he kind of disappeared. But he is exactly the big lug England need at the base.

I am still not convinced by Strettle, but I probably never will be.

Thats it for now. Lets see what brainstorms occur during the week.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:54 pm

doctor_grey wrote: Far too many box kicks literally giving precious possession away.

Point of order..he only kicked 6 times from 55 possessions, Dickson kicked 4 times from 27 ( a higher percentage)

But lets not let facts get in the way of opinions.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:00 pm

Youngs didn't have the best of games again but if Flood starts (unclear so far) then Youngs is probably better suited to play with him (club partnership and all that) and will probably play better with friendly faces outside him
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:06 pm

I've been a big supporter of Youngs, but I'm getting a little worried if he absolutely has to have Flood there to fire properly.

If he wants to be the 1st choice England scrum-half he needs to be adaptable and be able to perform in different combinations. Yes, it's difficult when half the side are new but he's one of the more experienced players now.

However, I still think he doesn't look sharp enough at the moment and that's probably due to recent injuries and time off. Some players take longer to get back to peak form than others.

Dickson should start the next game in my opinion. England went up a gear when he came on (partially due to a kick up the backside at half-time no doubt).

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:13 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
doctor_grey wrote: Far too many box kicks literally giving precious possession away.

Point of order..he only kicked 6 times from 55 possessions, Dickson kicked 4 times from 27 ( a higher percentage)

But lets not let facts get in the way of opinions.
When Dickson kicked most were from in England's own territory. Youngs kicked when England were going forwards. The precious times they were going forwards. Let's not let opinions get in the way of facts, eh mate?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:13 pm

Youngs looks chubby, he spends time standing at the ruck pointing and shouting then takes two steps and passes poorly. he doesn't run much and doesn't check what's on before he gets to the ruck.

These points ber the weight issue were enough for Care to be benched and Youngs to start a while back. Dickson has to start next game

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:16 pm

I would bring in Tuilagi for Barritt, Wood for Croft if fit, Lawes for Botha, Dickson for Youngs and Morgan for Dowson.

I am really not sure about whether to bring in Flood for Hodgson, I think Hodgson has played well so far and has looked accomplished. I think Flood sometimes loses his cool and control of a game but Hodgson has done this also in the past. Farrell's kicking has helped Hodgson's overall game and I think it would help Floods, you would have to take into account training and floods performances this weekend and next to make a proper decision.

Also I would quite like to see Parling start, when he has come on he has made the lineout more assured and I am a tad biased as a Tigers fan. I also think Sharples should be on the bench.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 11 Feb 2012, 10:22 pm

I presume Tuilagi and Flood if fit will have a run out against the Saracens next week ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:28 pm

I would bring in Morgan for Dowson, Parling for Palmer and Dickson for Youngs. Morgan, Parling and Dickson all had a huge impact when they came on against Italy, Morgan with his direct ball carrying, Parling with his ball carrying and sorting out of the lineout and Dickson with his increase in tempo, which helped put England on the front foot.

Wood will struggle to get into the England starting XV, Robshaw was outstanding - according to ESPN putting in 17 tackles (next most Croft/Hodgson with 8) and making the most carries in the England side with 9. Whilst Croft had one of his more effective games for Engand and his combination with Robshaw on the flanks is looking more and more impressive. Dowson will have his place taken by Morgan surely. Whilst Wood is surplus to requirements, he is not needed in the lineout (Croft) whilst his work at the breakdown is no better than Croft or Robshaw's and his ball carrying is less effective than Robshaw and maybe equal to Crofts.

Therefore against Wales in the back row England should start Croft, Robshaw and Morgan and bring Wood onto the bench if fit, ahead of Dowson.

Whilst even though Hodgson has scored twice in two games (both charge downs) I expect Flood to slot into the 10 spot, whilst he'll probably take over kicking duties, I also expect Tuilagi to start at 13 with Barritt moving into 12.

We could win this.

Starting XV for Wales game..

15. B.Foden
14. C.Ashton
13. M.Tuilagi
12. B.Barritt
11. D.Strettle
10. T.Flood
09. L.Dickson

08. B.Morgan
07. C.Robshaw (c)
06. T.Croft
05. G.Parling
04. M.Botha
03. D.Cole
02. D.Hartley
01. A.Corbisiero

16. M.Stevens
17. R.Webber
18. T.Palmer
19. T.Wood
20. B.Youngs
21. O.Farrell
22. M.Brown

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:33 pm

Strettle is diabolical, I don't know where to start with the others.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:35 pm

EnglishReign wrote:Strettle is diabolical, I don't know where to start with the others.

Feel free not to then
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:35 pm

Foden wasn't great today either , does he have a possible replacement ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:39 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:Strettle is diabolical, I don't know where to start with the others.

Feel free not to then

Gladly. This side doesn't deserve my attention.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:45 pm

What? Shocked

Surely Lancaster will only make two changes to the starting XV, the players he has trusted have won both games in testing circumstances haven't they?

Youngs out and Dickson in.

Morgan in and maybe Dowson benched, or Dowson to 6 and Croft benched.

The problem England still have to overcome is the lack of a natural 7.... I don 't see any hands in the air for that spot as things stand so it's still there for Robshaw to make his own.

The major changes will be on the bench I think.

If we're honest with each other, we expect Wales to win regardless of what Lancaster does, it has to be a tinker with the team as opposed to a tear up of the teamsheet.

Personally I would like to see Dickson, Farrell, Barritt, Tualagi - but that's just not going to happen is it? Too harsh on players who have done the hard yards.

PS, it appears that none of our "island cousins" have picked up on the fact that Dickson is "German", it's only a matter of time though.... 🤦
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:00 am

I knew he was born in Germany it was on a military site when he was selected to play for Scotland's age grade side.
His father was a Tanky with the 1st Armoured Division.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:19 am

Smort-orse ain't ya Cymro. Very Happy

Swapsies for North?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:28 am

robshaw4england wrote:Wood is surplus to requirements, he is not needed in the lineout (Croft) whilst his work at the breakdown is no better than Croft or Robshaw's and his ball carrying is less effective than Robshaw and maybe equal to Crofts.

I disagree, a fit Wood is superior to both at the breakdown. Until some of the young openside options mature he's the best fit in that role for us. Robshaw's skillset is the very definition of a blindside and the best option for us there.

I don't think any of Wood, Robshaw or Croft are standout carriers, but I certainly wouldn't class Robshaw as the most effective. The stats do indeed show that Robshaw made the most carries, 9, but they also show that he only made 5m with them, and only 2m in 11 carries against Scotland. Wood was a more effective carrier than that in last year's 6N.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring Wood back into the team and partner him with Robshaw if he was fit & firing, but he does need to demonstrate that first and he's not even meant to be back for Northampton for a couple of weeks yet.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:30 am

The problem with benching Croift, is that once the match got going abd England stabilised the line out, he was the primary target. I don't have the numbers, but I think he was targeted around 4 or 5 times in a row at one point. Not sure if he touched the ball much outside that, though.

One thing that has me concerned is losing two scrums on England's own feed. One was written off by the commentators as Rob Webber being unfamiliar with Dickson. But I am not sure I agree and I think at this level that should not be an excuse. That must be sorted by the Wales match.

Another concern is England did not really make a lot of yards for the second week in a row. This is troubling. I know the Italian defense is strong and improving, but this needs to be improved. Quickly.

I think there are a lot of reasons or the tepid attack, not just the Youngs-Hodgson partnership, but making a change here is a good idea. When on-form Youngs is very dynamic. He seems very out of sorts. I hope he regains his stride because the team needs that electricity. On the other hand, Dickson made a couple of passing errors by passing too quickly, and passes went awry after nicking the back of his own players. That can't happen either.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 12 Feb 2012, 7:19 am

If he is fit then Wood should either start or not be on the bench, he is just not the kind of player who will make an impact coming into a game. Same goes for Robshaw. Croft has played well and doesn't deserve to loose his place but he is the most likely to make a difference coming off the bench when opposition legs are tiring. Morgan or Dowson is a hard call. Thought Dowson did much better but if Wood and Robshaw started on the flanks then Morgan's carrying maybe should just shade it.

In 2 substitute displays Parling has shown he has the ability to play at this level. I hope he can stay fit and get an extended run.

Would keep the front row as it is. I know we lost some lineouts but were they all Hartley's fault? Not one throw wasn't straight, perhaps the Italians just read the calls and challenged well. Cole was really strong in the set piece and Englands set piece suffered when he was swapped. Beginning to get more and more unconvinced with Stevens in the scrum. He is great in the loose but when he came on we lost the advantage that was gained when Castro went off. Was lucky not to get pinged more for binding issues.

Dickson must start against against Wales, just like he should have started against Italy. I can't beleive how out of form Youngs is at the moment. I'm no Simpson fan but would rather have him on the bench. Overall Youngs is the still the best 9 in England but he needs some time away from the international game to try to regain his form.

Why is Ashton playing on the left wing? He is steady there but nothing else. Not sure why but for some reason he doesn't come in field on the edges of rucks like he does from the right. If Streetle can`t play on the left then replace him but don`t move Englands most potent wing out of position to accomodate another player. Can`t beleive Foden`s position is being questioned in this thread. Throws one intercept pass for a try and that`s it? He's been Englands one truly top international standard player over the last 18 months.

If all the injury concerns are fit then I would pick the following 22 against Wales

1 Corbiserio
2 Hartley
3 Cole
4 Parling
5 Palmer
6 Robshaw
7 Wood
8 Morgan
9 Dickson
10 Flood
11 Strettle (on the left wing)
12 Barritt
13 Tuilagi
14 Ashton
15 Foden

16 Webber
17 Doran-Jones (replace the injured Wilson in the EPS)
18 Lawes
19 Croft
20 Simpson
21 Farrell
22 Sharples

Harsh on Hodgson but I still think overall Flood is better and Farrell covers more positions from the bench. His kicking in tight games oculd also prove crucial.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 12 Feb 2012, 7:25 am

doctor_grey wrote:The problem with benching Croift, is that once the match got going abd England stabilised the line out, he was the primary target. I don't have the numbers, but I think he was targeted around 4 or 5 times in a row at one point. Not sure if he touched the ball much outside that, though.
Another reason why I would start Parling along with Wood if fit. Along with Palmer and occasionally Robshaw that should be enough for England to win on their own throws. The lineout is probably Wales only average area in the pack at the moment.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 8:15 am

B,
Are you awake early or late, mate?
If Parling gets a starting place, then where does Lawes slot in? Or does he at this point?
I like the physicality Lawes brings. Plus he runs forward, something which England have lacked so far. But I agree, England need a bit more options in the Line Out.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 12 Feb 2012, 9:10 am

It would be a harsh call on Hodgson if he was dropped and likewise Farrell whose kicking as been spot on so far.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 12 Feb 2012, 9:51 am

Parling should definitely start, he sorted out the lineout problems and looks a lot more dynamic around tthe park then the other lock options.

Not sure about Morgan yet but i'd like to see how he goes starting a game.

Flood should take JTH's bench spot, Barritt should go to 12 and Tuilagi 13, Hodgson to start. Then it's just whether he wants Farrel on the bench or Brown.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:13 am

niwatts wrote:
I don't think any of Wood, Robshaw or Croft are standout carriers, but I certainly wouldn't class Robshaw as the most effective. The stats do indeed show that Robshaw made the most carries, 9, but they also show that he only made 5m with them, and only 2m in 11 carries against Scotland. Wood was a more effective carrier than that in last year's 6N.

Having watched those games pretty much twice through each, Robshaw made a lot more ground than that. Made a few yards through pretty much every tackle.

Also needs to be remembered that all of Robshaw's carrying pretty much was being done at close quarters, rather than in space out wide, which is another factor.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:34 am

As someone else pointed out Robshaw's carries may only be short (though the 2 m in the first game is utter tosh) but he makes thenhard yards or even inches in the tight which allows us to get a little momentum on slow ball which can be built up until we gives give it to a bigger carrier with some pace or spread it wide. It is an important role
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

Listening ot Lancaster's post match interview, there's no way he's going to drop Farrell. Tuilagi and Flood will be on the bench I reckon.

I'd also expect Lawes to be on the bench, but will Parling start or be dropped from the squad?

Morgan and Dickson will both start. I think 2 or 3 chnages is the maximum we'll see given England have won both games.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:45 am

I imagine that Morgan will start against the Welsh. He did make a huge impact on the game when he came on. That, however, was against a tiring defence so i would like to see him start a match at the full pace. He looks the part though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:50 am

I'm ok with them coming on as subs. Tuilagi in particular could be devastating as a sub. Rugby now days is a 22 man game and your bench is just as important as your starters
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 12 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

Actually, with two FHs starting, I think Flood's bench place could be better allocated to a back 3 player.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

yappysnap wrote:Barritt should go to 12 and Tuilagi 13

Should, but I don't think Lancaster will drop Farrell from the XV, which is a concern for me because although he's performed well with the boot and defensively, I really don't think he adds much in attack. He looks very much like a defensive, controlling FH, which is completely superfluous outside Hodgson or Flood in terms of getting the best out of our midfield & back 3.

As reliable as his kicking looks, I would have backed Hodgson or Flood to make the majority he's had and would happily trade one or two for a more attacking midfield platform with greater chance of scoring tries (or even forcing more penalty opportunities).

He's a very useful squad player, but I think he is best utilised as a starting FH for a very particular controlled game plan or as a steading FH on the bench to kick points and close a match out.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Southampton Osprey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:15 pm

Did Lawrence Dallaglio's comment "credit to England for fighting back" rankle with anyone else? Italy, though improved and now claiming more than just Scotland and Wales as 6 Nations scalps, should always be beaten hollow by England. Italy are an improving side, not a world-beating one - no one should make too much of coming back from 9 points down at half time to win...I am welsh, but this feeling was echoed yesterday by one of my English mates. England were dreary and uninspired in the first half and handed tries to Italy, who were unable to score them without English aid. Let's not "credit" England too much because they managed to beat Italy!

Woodward must be laughing his jewels off.

Southampton Osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

Southampton Osprey wrote:Did Lawrence Dallaglio's comment "credit to England for fighting back" rankle with anyone else? Italy, though improved and now claiming more than just Scotland and Wales as 6 Nations scalps, should always be beaten hollow by England. Italy are an improving side, not a world-beating one - no one should make too much of coming back from 9 points down at half time to win...I am welsh, but this feeling was echoed yesterday by one of my English mates. England were dreary and uninspired in the first half and handed tries to Italy, who were unable to score them without English aid. Let's not "credit" England too much because they managed to beat Italy!

Disagree...think they are a side that can beat the others on their day. They have a big pack...and whilst the backs arent great they are improving etc...

Its never an easy game against Italy for anyone these days.

As for the rest...

Im inclined to agree about Farrell...he needs to add more offensively...buts he's only 20...so plenty of time.

He reminds me of Johnny actually...good kicker and very strong defensively...calm and collected.

But to drop Barritt would be harsh...he's been very strong.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:27 pm

I think Lawes Palmer will start against wales.
Botha has played both full matches I believe, and Palmer and Lawes is a tried and tested combo.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Southampton Osprey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

Sorry, Geordiefalcon, but you're wrong. A big pack do not win games, they just give you a more secure platform. Italy will not win a game this year, which I hope will show the mediocrity of England's performance.

Southampton Osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:33 pm

Just watching saracens play wasps and there's a fair few similarities between the men in red today and the men in white yesterday...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:36 pm

Southampton Osprey wrote:Sorry, Geordiefalcon, but you're wrong. A big pack do not win games, they just give you a more secure platform. Italy will not win a game this year, which I hope will show the mediocrity of England's performance.

Italy have had a big pack most years and have beaten Wales, Ireland, France, Scotland and others. A big pack will not win it on it's own but as Geordie say's they do have some danger in the backs, surprisingly good kickers and when fit a good counter attacking game.

If they win none this 6N's i'll be surprised.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:43 pm

Bought the Sunday Times today, forgot (albeit very temporarily) what awful awful writers and pundits Barnes and Jones are. What is their purpose in writing for that newspaper? Why is Barnes allowed opinions?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:51 pm

Southampton Osprey wrote:Sorry, Geordiefalcon, but you're wrong. A big pack do not win games, they just give you a more secure platform. Italy will not win a game this year, which I hope will show the mediocrity of England's performance.

Aw well nice to know...

But actually you're wrong. You can win with a big pack and defensively strong backs. Mess it up as much as possible and play territory....
It might not be pretty but it can win you games...

Im watching the Wales Scotland game with interest...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 12 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

Southampton Osprey wrote:Did Lawrence Dallaglio's comment "credit to England for fighting back" rankle with anyone else? Italy, though improved and now claiming more than just Scotland and Wales as 6 Nations scalps, should always be beaten hollow by England. Italy are an improving side, not a world-beating one - no one should make too much of coming back from 9 points down at half time to win...I am welsh, but this feeling was echoed yesterday by one of my English mates. England were dreary and uninspired in the first half and handed tries to Italy, who were unable to score them without English aid. Let's not "credit" England too much because they managed to beat Italy!

If hed said " well england will always beat them so no credit of rthe win" youd accuse him of arrogance.
I think the point is that they didnt let their heads drop, nor did they hit panic mode. they kept doing what they were doing and eventually their better fitness and skills to get thgem back in the game, by doing the basics better than Italy.
Credit to them for kepping their heads, and for using the charge down as an inspiration to up their intensity.

Distinct lack of credit to them for getting into that kind of a mess in the ifrst place, as you say England should roll these teams over ...but maybe Im just being arrogant kiss

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Southampton Osprey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:25 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Aw well nice to know...

But actually you're wrong. You can win with a big pack and defensively strong backs. Mess it up as much as possible and play territory....
It might not be pretty but it can win you games...

Im watching the Wales Scotland game with interest...

Weren't Wales good? Didn't they score lots of tries? Am looking forward to Twickers.

"It might not be pretty but it can win you games..." This is an English mantra, right?

Southampton Osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:27 pm

doctor_grey wrote:B,
Are you awake early or late, mate?
If Parling gets a starting place, then where does Lawes slot in? Or does he at this point?
I like the physicality Lawes brings. Plus he runs forward, something which England have lacked so far. But I agree, England need a bit more options in the Line Out.
Good to see you back Doctor, hope you had a good break. I was actually up late (it was pushing 1am if I remember correctly) and to be honest had had a few more brew's than usual. In fact I had to re-read my posts again this morning to confirm what I thought I'd said. Anyway, I stick with my selection - I think Palmer did enough grunt work yesterday to keep his place and Parling should start to run the lineout, especially with Croft dropping to the bench in my selection. That's not to say the lineout is the only reason I would select Parling, I've been a fan for a couple of seasons and think his work rate in the loose is also very impressive, both with and without the ball. Ultimately I think a a Parling and Lawes combination would work well, in fact that was my pick before the 6N started until Lawes got crocked.

I too like the physicality Lawes brings, and due to his pace is like an extra back row around the field. I'd stick with Palmer for his experience to start against Wales with Lawes on the bench although I wouldn't be upset which combination of the 3 actually started. I like Botha's commitment in the games so far but he would drop out of the 22 for me, not 100% convinced by him at the very top level.

One area where I feel Lawes should improve is his lineout work - he's big and athletic and really should take more ball. In fact he should look to start running some lineouts - it would certainly help England's selections if he could. At Saints it's Sorenson or Day (depending on which one is playing) who call them so he doesn't really get chance to learn.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

I'd switch Dowson and Youngs for Morgan and Dickson and leave it at that. It's a young side and continuity is important. Flood and Lawes should play some club rugby before being sent straight into the international arena, at least 80 minutes to see how that get on. With Hodgson and Farrell both on the pitch and playing well (ish) no need to rush Flood back.

Big game needed by Croft against Wales though. Lydiate is an outstanding blindside, does all the classic blindside dirty work to an exceptional standard. If Croft is off his game then England will suffer.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:34 pm

I think we need Tuilagi. It was hitting the Welsh line with momentum that was having an effect for Scotland
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next