The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pr4wn's Mock Draft 4.0

3 posters

Go down

Pr4wn's Mock Draft 4.0 Empty Pr4wn's Mock Draft 4.0

Post by Pr4wn Tue 22 Mar 2011, 4:57 pm

Afternoon Everyone!

Firstly, a disclaimer. There will obviously be plenty of trades in the first round of the real draft but I'm not going to predict any, It makes this whole thing far too complicated. Also, I've probably made plenty of spelling errors but I can't be bothered to read through this all again. Also, many of the lines will be repeated from previous mocks as I can't be bothered to be inventive enough to re-write much of it!

Also, I know I'm setting myself up to be shot down by having another go at this, so give me your worst

1. Carolina Panthers - Blaine Gabbert - QB - Missouri

Ok, so the Panthers are on the merry-go-round that is the top pick on mock drafts. I now have Blaine Gabbert as the first pick. In his pro-day, he completed 47 of 50 passes with two drops. That's some pretty good accuracy there and many believe he is more NFL-ready than Cam Newton. Sure, the Panthers could really do with beefing up their defensive line. Their DTs really aren't anything to shout about, despite having a real threat in Charles Johnson on the outside. But this league is all about having a franchise QB. Many, including me, believe that the Panthers should give Jimmy Clausen another chance to prove that he can lead this team after having a full off-season under his belt to gel with his line and receivers. But I'm just not sure that Ron Rivera and co and take that kind of risk. They can survive the season with average DTs but if they have a sucky QB for another year, they'll be picking first again in the 2012 draft.

2. Denver Broncos - Marcell Dareus - DT - Alabama

Dareus is now the consensus best DT in the draft and the Broncos are going to need him after releasing a host of defensive lineman and switching to a 4-3. Dareus is quick, strong and powerful and should be an instant force in the NFL. He should also create enough pressure on the inside so that Elvis Dumervil can be a sack machine from the outside.

3. Buffalo Bills - Cam Newton - QB - Auburn

Ok, shoot me down, but I can really see this happening. Ryan Fitzpatrick did pretty well last season and he has established himself as the starter at QB. Everyone knows that Newton is not NFL ready. Buffalo will be the perfect place for him to start his career. He will be able to sit behind Fitzpatrick for a whole season, learning about reading blitzes, coverage and taking in the whole playbook. After a season on the bench, we should see what he's really capable of.

4. Cincinnati Bengals - AJ Green - WR - Georgia

Chad Johnson will be gone. T.O. will be gone. That will leave Jerome Simpson as Carson Palmer's main target next season. Yeah, I know. Doesn't sound good. Green was superb during college and looks to be a really complete player. If Palmer stays, which he may have to, Green will provide him with an immediate threat in all areas of the field. Hopefully, that will stop Carson from being a total baby. The could also consider Nick Fairley or either Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton should Carson throw his toys out of his pram even more.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller - OLB - Texas A&M

The Cardinals didn't have a single player with more than 5 sacks last season and the look to change this by drafting Miller. He's not as big as Brian Orakpo or DeMarcus Ware, but he's very fast and very athletic. He's a very safe pick here and Arizona will be delighted should he fall to them. Other potential choices include Patrick Peterson. The Cardinals were very inconsistent at CB last season, with even Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie looking shakey at times.

6. Cleveland Browns - Julio Jones - WR - Alabama

This will be considered a reach, no doubt. Jones lit up the combine with his speed and agility. Sure, he's a little raw but look at the guy's college stats, he just gets better and better every year. Colt McCoy surpassed everyone's expectations last season with some pretty good stats despite having practically no reveivers to throw to. The Browns will look to address this immediately and Jones instantly provides them with a deep threat.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Patrick Peterson - SB - LSU

Peterson is really being hyped up. He had a great combine, posting a sub 4.40 40-yard dash time despite weighing over 220lbs. He is agile and can press receivers as well as cover them on deep routes. He also provides the 49ers with a kickoff and punt return threat. All in all, I'd say that Peterson is probably the most complete and NFL-ready player in this draft class.

8. Tennessee Titans - Nick Fairley - DT - Auburn

Fairley's draft stock has taken a bit of a bashing in the alst few weeks with Marcell Dareus emerging as the consensus best DT. Fairley has exceptionally quick feet and reminds many analysts of Warren Sapp with his loud mouth and mean streak. He will be an instant upgrade over the Titans current tackles and his great potential will be too much to turn down here.

9. Dallas Cowboys - Prince Amukamara- CB - Nebraska

The Cowboys badly need help in the secondary, they got shredded by Rex Grossman last season. Amukamara is a great talent and has all the physical tools to be a shut-down corner in the NFL.

10. Washington Redskins - JJ Watt - DE - Wisconsin

The Skins have holes everywhere. Let's see... QB, WR, RB, OT, OG, DE, OLB, CB and K. Phew! The Skins' defense was ranked 31 last season and it badly needs repairs. JJ Watt had an amazing combine and looks to be a real physical specimen with fantastic technique and awareness. A little stat taken from Walterfootball.com, Orakpo was the only Redskin to get more than 2.5 sacks last season. They need some serious help.

11. Houston Texans - Robert Quinn - DE - North Carolina

The Texans are switching to a 3-4 under Wade Phillips and they really need an edge rusher to play behind Mario Williams. Quinn is exceptionally talented and should shake off that rust from having a year out of the game in the off-season. He could really help Houston's ailing secondary by getting some much-needed pressure on the opposing quarterbacks.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Da'Quan Bowers - DE - Clemson

Walterfootball also has Bowers falling here. Sure, he had an amazing season with Clemson this year, posting out-of-this-world stats but he's just had knee surgery and he keeps delaying his workouts. Couple this with the fact that a lot of people feel that he's a one-year-wonder and this is unsettling for many teams. Ray Edwards should be gone from Minnesota in free-agency and they really need help opposite Jared Allen. Bowers could well be their guy and considering his stats from last season, he's a bargain at number 12.

13. Detroit Lions - Tyron Smith - OT - USC

Jeff Backus had a good year last season but he's not getting any younger. The Lions need to keep Matt Stafford healthy to avoid him being a total bust through injury. Smith is the best OT in this draft class and will be able to fill in straight away.

14. St Louis Rams - Corey Liuget - DT - Illinois

Liuget's stock is rising and I feel that time if running out for Fred Robbins. He needs to be upgraded and Liuget is big enough and strong enough to step in. The Rams would love for Julio Jones to drop to them here but I really can't see that happening after his combine.

15. Miami Dolphins - Mike Pouncey - G - Florida

Do they go RB or OL? This is the big question for a Dolphins franchise that looks to be losing both Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. However, neither of these guys was very productive last year due to the fact that they weren't running into any space. The center and guard positions badly need upgrading and Pouncey can play either, just like his brother. Slot him in at guard for a year, then move him to center. Wonderful.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ryan Kerrigan - DE - Purdue

Ahhh Gene Smith's dream pick. So many mocks have Kerrigan going here because he really is a Jaguars-type player. He's academic, he's a leader and he has absolutely no character issues whatsoever. Moreover, he was amazingly productive in college while starting for three years. He's also a bit of a fumble-forcing machine and he will upgrade a desperately poor Jags pass rush.

17. New England Patriots - Cameron Jordan - DE - Cal

Jordan is a bargain at this pick. The Pats will have a high-class player lining up next to Vince Wilfork and this would rpesent a scary prospect for any offensive line.

18. San Diego Chargers - Cameron Heyward - DE - Ohio State

Heyward is strong, big and he will be a good fit for the Chargers, even if he is a bit of a reach here. He should replace Jacques Cesaire to help with the rushing linebackers like Shaun Philipps.

19. New York Giants - Anthony Castonzo - OT - Boston College

Eli Manning threw a ton of picks last season, partly because he was under pressure so often. The Giants really need to upgradt at LT and Castonzo may well be their guy. He and Tom Coughlin both have ties to Boston College and he would be an upgrade at either tackle position.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aldon Smith - DE - Missouri

Smith missed a bit of last season through injury but he looks to be a real prospect. The Bucs' pass rush ws just terrible last season. Gerald McCoy and Brian Price desperately need some help from the outisde and Aldon Smith could come straight into the right defensive end position to provide some pressure off the edge.

21. Kansas City Chiefs - Phil Taylor - NT - Baylor

Cheifs fans should be very happy if this happens. Taylor is enormous and surprisingly quick. He could fit straight into the KC defense and open up big holes for Tamba Hali. His stock is on the rise after a good combine and pro-day and he looks to be a lock for the first round.

22. Indianapolis Colts - Gabe Carimi - OT - Wisconsin

The one area in which the Colts really sucked last year was not the defense. It was the offensive line. Payton Manning made far more mistakes because firstly, he had only one good receiver to throw to, and secondly, because he was constantly under pressure from the edge. Pressure from his blind side was a major concern and Carimi should help to restore some calm.

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Derrick Sherrod - OT - Mississippi State

Andy Reid just can't turn down a project. Sherrod is raw but he has bucket loads of potential. If he has a good offseason, he could replace Winston Justice at RT before the start of next season.

24. New Orleans Saints - Adrian Clayborn - DE - Iowa

Clayborn is a perfect fit to go opposite Will Smith in the left end position. He's big and quick with good push and technique. However, his stats from last season sucked, though he played better than they might suggest. The Saints would be very happy if he fell into their laps at 24.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Brandon Harris - CB - Miami

The Seahawks could really use help in the secondary and Harris looks to be a safe pick here. They may also look at a QB to replace the ageing Matt Hasslebeck. Surely Charlie Whitehurst isn't the answer?

26. Baltimore Ravens - Torrey Smith - WR - Maryland

One thing was made very clear in the Ravens' loss to the Steelers. Their offense is very conservative, just like the Falcons. Torrey Smith has great vertical speed and will stretch defenses which will allow Flacco, Boldin and Rice more space in which to work.

27. Atlanta Falcons - Justin Houston - DE - Georgia

The one thing that the Falcons lack all over their roster? Exciting playmakers. They don't have a deep-threat WR and they don't have a sack machine. Abraham had a great season but he's really pushing the boat out now. I know that Falcons fans had high hopes for Kroy Biermann but is he really the answer? Houston is very fast and he can drop into coverage as well as provide pressure from the edge. He may be the playmaker that the Falcons are looking for.

28. New England Patriots - Mark Ingram - RB - Alabama

What a gift. Ingram is the best RB in this year's draft and he fall to the Patriots here. He may not have the straight-line speed of CJ2K but he's robust and a lot more agile than he looks. He should, along with Law Firm and Woodhead, provide Tom Brady with the perfect running game to work alongside.

29. Chicago Bears - Nate Solder - OT - Colorado

At 6'9" Solder is a giant who should instantly help the Bears and their struggling line. The more time Jay Cutler spends off his backside, the more points Chicago will score.

30. New York Jets - Muhammad Wilkerson - DT - Temple

With a host of Jets defensive lineman entering free agency, Wilkerson is exactly what Rex Ryan is looking for. He's very athletic and can play at either end position.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers - Aaron Williams - CB - Texas

Aaron Rodgers absolutely killed the Steelers' secondary in the Superbowl, including Troy Polamalu. While the play of the front seven was admirable, the secondary really let Dick LeBeau down and it's time to upgrade. Williams can play at CB or FS and should be a starter right away.

32. Green Bay Packers - Brooks Reed - DE - Arizona

Reed can partner Clay Matthews on the outside to provide Green Bay with a truly frightening pass rush.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Pr4wn's Mock Draft 4.0 Empty Re: Pr4wn's Mock Draft 4.0

Post by simonhufc Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:23 pm

Top mock to be fair. I do them and its easy for people just to come in and shoot you down but never do their own but fair play.

IMO if Green is on the board, he will be the pick for Cleveland. I know you havent said he wont be just thought I would add that

Think JJ Watt might be a bit of a reach but depends on Pro day results, and think Luiget might be a reach too but depends on results

But apart from that top mock

simonhufc

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

I would agree and say Liuget is a bit of a reach (however, note Tyson Alualu last year). Would say that he is only really on the borderline of the first round and could fall either way. Not sure basically.

I also think you may be doing your Bucs a little bit too much of a favor by dropping Aldon Smith down to 20. I'm off the opinion he will go before Cam Jordan and/or Heyward.

Otherwise a nice Mock as per usual. Obviously with the lockout and the general 606 move (it's even gone as a link off the BBC homepage for me) things are a little slow, so it's nice to see a relatively regular Mock being published.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 22 Mar 2011, 11:13 pm

I try! And yeah maybe I am being a little hopeful with Smith dropping that low, but he also has the "one year wonder" tag and could drop a bit.

Him and Cam Jordan/Heyward are totally different players, though. Jordan and Heyward can play DE in a 3-4 but Smith is a DE for a 4-3.

I just wanted to do a mock where the Bucs took someone other than Adrian Clayborn.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by simonhufc Wed 23 Mar 2011, 3:27 pm

Clayborn also didn't have a great supporting cast this year which may be why his numbers aren't as good as last year

simonhufc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down