The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland xv vs France

+39
justified sinner
donkeyprop
IanBru
MacKnocked-on
RDW
Mad for Chelsea
EWT Spoons
matcrf
bsando
caz
Hollbeck Ghyll
whocares
hugehandoff
NeilyBroon
KickAndChase
nickj
doctornickolas
George Carlin
sensisball
123skelm
TJ1
alive555
Scot Abroad
cp10
Manky-Flanker
bluestonevedder
Imperialbigdave
red_stag
21st Century Schizoid Man
cabbs123
Tattie Scones RRN
R!skysports
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pat_Mustard
Rory_Gallagher
flyhalffactory
43 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Scotland xv vs France - Page 4 Empty Scotland xv vs France

Post by 123456789 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:53 am

First topic message reminder :

15. Hogg- played well on his first cap and look very promising, he has to start
14. Jones- Looked good and made some promising breaks
13. De Luca- Bit of a muppet, give him a last international chance outside a decent ball-playing inside centre
12. Scott- Playing well at club, works well with De Luca, will bring something extra
11. Evans- Exciting and unpredictable player, could easily become a lion
10. Laidlaw- scored a try and Scotland's backs did something for a change
9. Blair- fast and snappy player brings fresh impetus. At his best he is world class as is
8. Beattie- Big gamble but if it pays off it could be fantastic
7. Rennie- very good, certain lion, world class as is Barclay on his best form
6. Denton- can lead a generation of wacky haired Scottish forwards with Gray, might be harsh to move him from 8
5. Hamilton- adds considerable bulk
4. Gray- irreplaceable, Scotland's only guaranteed Lions starter with ford
3. Cross- good in the loose, not convinced with his scrumming
2- Ford- world class player, best European hooker
1. Shiells/ Jacobsen- Shiells has proved himself to be solid in the aviva, Jacobsen is a true legend

16. Lawson- there in case ford get's injured
17. Kalman- will do a job
18. Kellock- true leader, solid lineout
19. Barclay- off form but a fantastic player, if we can get him back to his best then we'll have an almighty fight for the 7 shirt
20- Cusiter- tenacious but his passing can be slow and inaccurate
21. Weir- Solid kicker, nailed on starter in two years
22. S/R Lamonts- neither have been fantastic but will add bulk

Back to top Go down

Scotland xv vs France - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland xv vs France

Post by nickj Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:39 pm

IanBru wrote:OH FFS! Would people stop carrying on about Matt Scott?

He can't play this year.
He says he doesn't want to play this year.
Robinson can't pick him this year.

I'm not sure it can be said any more simply. Scott has made it clear, repeatedly, that he has important law exams during the Six Nations, and he can't afford to disrupt his preparation.

We need to grasp the fact that, apart from shoving in De Luca, or plucking James King from obscurity, we have no other options than Morrison or Lamont at 12.

It sucks, but it's the truth.

You have a point Bru.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:40 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:At the next press conference someone needs to actually stand up and demand an explanation for the repeated mistakes in selection. The press are too easy on Robinson, no difficult questions asked.

Also someone needs to point out to him that successful teams don't base their whole game plan around stopping the opposition.

I wonder if Adam D could get us a Q&A with Robinson!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:44 pm

He can't play this year.

I'm not sure it can be said any more simply. Scott has made it clear, repeatedly, that he has important law exams during the Six Nations, and he can't afford to disrupt his preparation.

We need to grasp the fact that, apart from shoving in De Luca, or plucking James King from obscurity, we have no other options than Morrison or Lamont at 12.

Where has he said this? His uni law exams will be at the same time as every other students exams, so that's not during the 6Ns, but rather in May and June

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

nickj wrote:

He can't play this year.

You have a point Bru.
Hmm, don't think he has Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollbeck Ghyll Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:10 pm

Fair enough about Matt Scott - however, that does not warrant the centre partnership we see for Sunday. I think people are justified in scraping around for any other option than what is there!
I am really glad to see Hogg and Blair starting, but it is going to be so difficult to get the ball wide when you have what will have be two dummy runners as they aren't going to pass

Hollbeck Ghyll

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:12 pm

I think everyone keeps thinking of the players as individuals, or how they perform for their respective clubs. John Barclay is a big boy, I am sure he will cope at 6. TBH there is not that much difference between the two positions anyway!! Just because Laidlaw is at 9 and morrison at 12 does not mean they're conflicting game plans. As far as I see it, Laidlaw/blair will be providing quick ball to both Morrison and Lamont/denton/rennie looking to create lots of line breaks or take advantage of any gaps. Then if French defense is broken up a bit they have jones, r lamont and hogg as options. I am not expecting Welsh styled flowing backline, we are not capable of it. I'm sticking to my guns and saying that I fully expect this team to do well on sunday and that AR has made GOOD selections against a dangerous French side.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:13 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Manky-Flanker wrote:Awesome looking French side, but worry not, Scotland have a 6 playing 8, a 7 playing 6, a 9 playing 10, a winger playing 13, a 13 sitting on the bench, and an on form 12 and 6 sitting at home.

What could go wrong?

laughing

Better to laugh this one off than spend this week and next week moping about it. I'm starting to develop a bit of Gallows Humour with this Scotland Team.

YES! EXACTLY! This is what I do - laugh it off and approach the entire realm of Scottish rugby with amusement and sarcasm until we come good again ... which could be many , many years down the line. It's been 12 years already after all.

Someone said 3 passes to the back line ... unless that includes catching French kicks and distributing to one another I I think that's a bit optimistic. Robinson's probably instructed them to sit back and wait for kicks anyway given the 12-13 axis is there for defense only.

Why pick a lightweight backrow then a heavyweight centre pairing? Couldn't you do it the other way round and then have some attacking flair? Why bring in Blair inside Laidlaw to help him and then put Morrison outside him? Why play S Lamont at 13 when HE HAS NEVER PLAYED THERE IN HIS LIFE? Can someone find or quote a game S Lamont has played 13? Why bench De Luca if it's not for the ill discipline (seeing as R Lamont is still playing)?

We're toast. Where's that facepalm smiley.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:13 pm

Just to balance that last post...

It could work.

[But it won't]

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:24 pm

KickAndChase wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Manky-Flanker wrote:Awesome looking French side, but worry not, Scotland have a 6 playing 8, a 7 playing 6, a 9 playing 10, a winger playing 13, a 13 sitting on the bench, and an on form 12 and 6 sitting at home.

What could go wrong?

laughing

Better to laugh this one off than spend this week and next week moping about it. I'm starting to develop a bit of Gallows Humour with this Scotland Team.

YES! EXACTLY! This is what I do - laugh it off and approach the entire realm of Scottish rugby with amusement and sarcasm until we come good again ... which could be many , many years down the line. It's been 12 years already after all.

Someone said 3 passes to the back line ... unless that includes catching French kicks and distributing to one another I I think that's a bit optimistic. Robinson's probably instructed them to sit back and wait for kicks anyway given the 12-13 axis is there for defense only.

Why pick a lightweight backrow then a heavyweight centre pairing? Couldn't you do it the other way round and then have some attacking flair? Why bring in Blair inside Laidlaw to help him and then put Morrison outside him? Why play S Lamont at 13 when HE HAS NEVER PLAYED THERE IN HIS LIFE? Can someone find or quote a game S Lamont has played 13? Why bench De Luca if it's not for the ill discipline (seeing as R Lamont is still playing)?

K&C, SLamont played at 13 for Scarlets a fair bit the season before last - may even have one cap there (Wales 2010?) But that's still no excuse ...

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:24 pm

bsando wrote:I think everyone keeps thinking of the players as individuals, or how they perform for their respective clubs. John Barclay is a big boy, I am sure he will cope at 6. TBH there is not that much difference between the two positions anyway!! Just because Laidlaw is at 9 and morrison at 12 does not mean they're conflicting game plans. As far as I see it, Laidlaw/blair will be providing quick ball to both Morrison and Lamont/denton/rennie looking to create lots of line breaks or take advantage of any gaps. Then if French defense is broken up a bit they have jones, r lamont and hogg as options. I am not expecting Welsh styled flowing backline, we are not capable of it. I'm sticking to my guns and saying that I fully expect this team to do well on sunday and that AR has made GOOD selections against a dangerous French side.
Pls can I have some of whatever it is that you are smoking? zen

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:26 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
KickAndChase wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

What could go wrong?

laughing

K&C, SLamont played at 13 for Scarlets a fair bit the season before last - may even have one cap there (Wales 2010?) But that's still no excuse ...

Ah okay didn't know that - just as crazy as the decision to put him at 12 a couple of seasons ago then.

Internationally, no - I've followed that too doggedly. He was an out-and-out wing, got injured for a year, came back at wing and then 12, and filled in one game at full back (where one or two of Wales' tries operated from him being out of position - his fault, but not really if you think about it.) Now he's back at 12/13. If you think about it it's almost as bad as Paterson.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

KickAndChase wrote:Just to balance that last post...

It could work.

Hmm that's what I was thinking after England picked Tindall and Noon in the centres against NZ in 08. it finished 37-12 or something...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

bsando wrote:I think everyone keeps thinking of the players as individuals, or how they perform for their respective clubs. John Barclay is a big boy, I am sure he will cope at 6. TBH there is not that much difference between the two positions anyway!! Just because Laidlaw is at 9 and morrison at 12 does not mean they're conflicting game plans. As far as I see it, Laidlaw/blair will be providing quick ball to both Morrison and Lamont/denton/rennie looking to create lots of line breaks or take advantage of any gaps. Then if French defense is broken up a bit they have jones, r lamont and hogg as options. I am not expecting Welsh styled flowing backline, we are not capable of it. I'm sticking to my guns and saying that I fully expect this team to do well on sunday and that AR has made GOOD selections against a dangerous French side.

A few points to counter here.

6 and 7 are totally differant positions. The number 6 is there to make crunching tackles on the blind side and the 7 is there to win turnover ball once the centres have ran into each other. If there was no difference between the 2 positions there would be no such thing as an openside or blindside flanker. Could you ever imagine McCaw and Kaino swapping positions for NZ?

Barclay should not have to "cope" at blindside flanker. He is an openside. We have far better Blindsides to play against France, Harley being the most obvious and Denton could play at 6 too making way for either Fusaro or McInally.

The centre partnership is awful. Trully, Trully awfull. In fact I'm struggling to think of a worse centre partnership. Henderson and Dewy is the only one that springs to mind. The French defence will not be broken up easily, can you remember the last time the Clermont Augverne defence was split up by crash ball merchants? I fully expect Fofana and Rougerie to absorb whatever Morrison and Lamont throw at them with little or no fuss.

I expect Robinsons woeful selections to be fully exposed at the end of this weekend.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

As a backline selection it's too awful to contemplate.

I can only assume that neither Robinson nor Townsend want the job anymore and this is a none too subtle way of getting fired.

We will not run through the French centres. As a tree cutter there are none better than Dusatoir, and Rougerie is just as physical (but much faster) than both our centres.

Robinson has picked a lightweight backrow, and a pair of quick tempo players at half back, but outside Laidlaw will be Morrison and the Lamont brothers, players with no accelaration to exploit any half gaps and no handling skills to capitalise.

WHERE IS THE FRICKING LOGIC IN THAT!!!???

Rob Harley may as well go into retirement until Robinson is sacked. No Glasgow fan could say with a straight face that John Barclay is the best blindside flanker available to Robinson. He isn't the best blindside flanker at Glasgow.

Wish I had stayed at lunch and got hooned. Will be in France skiing on Sunday. Was going to start the apres-ski early - might just go off piste never to be seen again, or maybe just pretend I'm French!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:43 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:As a backline selection it's too awful to contemplate.

I can only assume that neither Robinson nor Townsend want the job anymore and this is a none too subtle way of getting fired.

We will not run through the French centres. As a tree cutter there are none better than Dusatoir, and Rougerie is just as physical (but much faster) than both our centres.

Robinson has picked a lightweight backrow, and a pair of quick tempo players at half back, but outside Laidlaw will be Morrison and the Lamont brothers, players with no accelaration to exploit any half gaps and no handling skills to capitalise.

WHERE IS THE FRICKING LOGIC IN THAT!!!???

Rob Harley may as well go into retirement until Robinson is sacked. No Glasgow fan could say with a straight face that John Barclay is the best blindside flanker available to Robinson. He isn't the best blindside flanker at Glasgow.

Wish I had stayed at lunch and got hooned. Will be in France skiing on Sunday. Was going to start the apres-ski early - might just go off piste never to be seen again, or maybe just pretend I'm French!

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:FES is going to have a fit when he comes in from his Edinburgh al fresco lunch!

Told you so!

The bit in bold really did make me chuckle though Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:50 pm

6 and 7 are totally differant positions. The number 6 is there to make crunching tackles on the blind side and the 7 is there to win turnover ball once the centres have ran into each other. If there was no difference between the 2 positions there would be no such thing as an openside or blindside flanker. Could you ever imagine McCaw and Kaino swapping positions for NZ?

This is a bit too generic a description of the flanker roles really. Not every 6 is there to simply make crunching tackles and not every 7 is there to simply make a lot of turnovers. Each team plays their back row in a very different way, that suits their own team. Look at France who use a left-right flanker system and the breakdown role is shared amongst the team. No breakdown specialists in that team, yet they do fine against the likes of NZ.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

France has the luxuary of players like Bonnaire and Dusatoir who can do that. Barclay and Rennie will not be the same. Both are specialist Fetchers, brilliant at the breakdown but neither are renowned for their physicality.

Denton will have to do the lion's share of the carrying and tackling and against the French backrow he'll be exhausted before half time.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:01 pm

Bonnaire or Dusautoir are not breakdown specialists by any means. They are tackling machines. As for Barclay and Rennie I am not disagreeing with you, they both suit playing 7 but even the two of them play a different type of game. That is my point, a 6 isn't simply a tackler while a 7 isn't simply a fetcher. Different teams employ different tactics.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:04 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Bonnaire or Dusautoir are not breakdown specialists by any means. They are tackling machines. As for Barclay and Rennie I am not disagreeing with you, they both suit playing 7 but even the two of them play a different type of game. That is my point, a 6 isn't simply a tackler while a 7 isn't simply a fetcher. Different teams employ different tactics.
Rory, i think that the majority of teams favour a backrow with a traditional chopper-fetcher-ball-carrier balance. France and Ireland are two that don't, but then neither country has a top calibre 'fetcher', but as you say they reshuffle tasks and make do just fine. In Scotland, we have other choppers after Brown and Stroks, and I would prefer to see us use them rather than Barclay OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

I think Scotland's chosen backrow might put a lot of pressure on Denton in terms of bruiser-carrying. Both Rennie and Barclay are magnificent at finding the open space, but lack a little in their loose play. That's by no means a criticism, just their style of play. I think this could become noticeable against the likes of the French.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:07 pm

AsLongAs that was the point I was trying to make! But you phrased it much more concisely than I did! Thankyou thumbsup

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Rory, i think that the majority of teams favour a backrow with a traditional chopper-fetcher-ball-carrier balance. France and Ireland are two that don't, but then neither country has a top calibre 'fetcher', but as you say they reshuffle tasks and make do just fine. In Scotland, we have other choppers after Brown and Stroks, and I would prefer to see us use them rather than Barclay OK

Once again i'm not advocating Barclay as a 6. I am just saying that teams use their back rows in a different way. I would never have described Strokotsch as primarily a tackler, he seems to do more carrying than tackling. His tackling was rather poor against Wales. Also would you not say that Barclay is probably the better breakdown specialist, while Rennie is a better link-man? And since Scotland wish to play more attacking rugby, Rennie suits this new game-plan more. Of course he is also very effective at the breakdown.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:31 pm

We're totally goosed if Denton goes off early.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

The main player the scottish back row is going to have all kinds of trouble with is Picamoles, who I would say is in the top 3 number 8s in the world. He almost always gets past the first tackler, and if you think SBW can offload, you have to see this guy. He is huge, but also has a very good rugby brain and is surprisingly quick.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

Guys - just a thought but what a difference a season makes... I don't think a selection that saw Morrison / Lamont at 12 and 13 would have been met with such derision last 6 N's. It certainly wouldn't two seasons ago.

We haven't had a 12 that can play for blooming ages and its only now that Edinburgh are playing in that style that we do. Its great to see Scott and King revolutionising play at inside centre in Scotland. We have had boshers there too long. BTW Houston has never been and is not currently good enought IMO.

I'm not saying I am chuffed with Sunday's team, but I'm not going to chuck my toys out either. I have been a Scottish rugby supporter too long.

I'm delighted to see so many options coming through. I can't remember that being the case for yonks.

I agree that there are good arguments for more of those 'up coming' options to be given their chance now. But for whatever reason that's not happened.

Due to form and a fair few injuries Laidlaw, Jones, Denton, Rennie, Gray and Hogg are now all playing and willl be for years. They deserve our and the rugby press's support.

Personally I can't wait to see more new players been given their chance and that's why I'm looking fwd to the summer tour. Scott Johnson might even help Robbo get over his favorites thing.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:44 pm

I think I've worked out our game plan:
Our athletic and impressive forward pack win the ball for us, generating quick turn-over ball, then Blair and Laidlaw put their hugely effective Edinburgh chop and change game plan into place, then denton will bash them up and then...
Morrison or Lamont will run straight at Fofana and Rougerie who will slow the ball right down so that France's back row will rip or turn the ball over and then without a tackling specialist France will run straight through us.
Even I am getting fed up with Robinson now, it's always a case of one step forward (Hogg, Jones, Denton, Laidlaw) two steps back (Morrison, RLamont, SLamont in the centre, Parks, De Luca outside a winger, Cusiter, Barclay at blindside, etc.)
To be honest Hamilton and Gray can both carry and Gray does ten times more tackling than the average lock and that might explain his thinking, he possibly thinks this centre partnership will stop the physical French partnership however De Luca is a good tackler just at times idiotic but who can blame him.

I'm beginning to think it must be horrible to play under Robinson, his treatment of Dan Parks was unacceptable but understandable but De Luca, he was stupid, yes, but apart from that I thought he had a very good game then following that mindless cowards insulted him on twitter and elsewhere and now Robinson drops him . What message does that give to the player?

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:35 pm

Good article on SRB. At least it explains Robbo's thinking - http://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2012/02/what-was-said-at-the-team-announcement/

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:48 pm

nickj wrote:Good article on SRB. At least it explains Robbo's thinking - http://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2012/02/what-was-said-at-the-team-announcement/

I don't know, if you sit in church for long enough ... (or if you're christian, if you sit in a temple...) you get converted.

I do see that last year France beat us from what was effectively 4 turnovers, of which at least 2 were to do with De Luca. One was from Max Evans. So I guess he's presuming we can be more composed this time and stay in the game. I like this thinking.

I just lost my faith back when we played England. Sorry Andy.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:58 pm

I read that article and begin to weep.

Seems that he thinks the best plan is to have those dreadfully slow and lateral pick and drives, build about 20 phases making roughly 1 metre, hope the ref gives a penalty and ping it over. It actually sounds like that's his plan, and hope that the well rested super fit French players somehow wilt under the weight of our undynamic phase play.

Marvellous. What else is on TV on Sunday? Antiques Roadshow? I could catch at least 4 valuations whilst we move from the halfway line to the French 10 metre line.

The article in the link even admits as much. This is a team to stop France or slow them down, not a team to beat them. I disagree with Robinson's rationale completely. Morrison and S Lamont is not the right match-up to play Fofana and Rougerie.

I also disagree with the poster above who suggested that there were no other options. Even if you believe that Matt Scott is not available (and the articles seems to suggest that he is), what about using NDL and Alex Grove, or experimenting with either Jackson or Weir at 12?? What is better now than previously with S Lamont and NDL?? Don't tell me that I'm suggesting a previously failed combination, or moving a player out of position, because I see far more logic in those suggestions than the turgid muck put forward by Robinson and Townsend.

If our pack play extremely well, as they have in the last two matches, we'll lose by 10-15 points. If the pack struggle, we'll lose by 30. I'm sorry, but I don't see this side winning. France would have to be awful for that to happen.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

hands up for parks

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:18 pm

Where are we supposed to score from? Who with?

I'd rather loose two tries to four than 2 pens to two tries!

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:19 pm

I'm normally always optimistic about Scotland's chances. We have absolutely no chance of winning this game.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:24 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote: It actually sounds like that's his plan, and hope that the well rested super fit French players somehow wilt under the weight of our undynamic phase play

well rested yes, super fit questionnable. there is a real worry here that this french team is a bit undercooked and that they will struggle physically under 80 minutes of scottish phase play.

I do not think it's gonna be easy for France and even if Robinson went for a low risk game plan it's still a 50/50 game in my modest opinion.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:06 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I'm normally always optimistic about Scotland's chances. We have absolutely no chance of winning this game.

Don't say that, you'll start me thinking we'll pull it out of the bag boxing

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:24 pm

I understand Robinsons thinking but we really just need to score tries right now, this 6N campaign will again prove to be pointless if we play conservatively, it'll just be the same old dirge, same old mistakes, we'll score a surprise victory (I doubt it'll be against France) and stay the same. We need the new, not the old!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:29 pm

Coming back early from hols to watch this. I really am a grade a idiot. Bit like Robinson tbh

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

I've rewritten the SRB's 'What was said at the team announcement' piece - hope it makes more sense now OK

What Was Meant at the Team Announcement

22 Feb 2012
by Alan Dymock (with some help)

Once all and sundry had been handed a hymn sheet, stopped laughing and cajoled into sitting in a yogic flying position to talk about selections as a group – everyone agreeing that a sell-out was fantastic for Scotland and was looking forward to all those lovely picnics in the carpark – Andy Pandy sat and delivered a speech he and Luby-Lu had obviously been working on.

His reasoning devoid of lucidity and his line crooked, he explained why it was necessary to pick the lumbering, one-dimensional centres he picked, why Jackson would not be needed this time round and why he felt the French demanded something more…than a plain Scots pie from the Scots after the match.

“You see that I have made one sensible and a couple of utterly pointless changes.

“I’m absolutely delighted for Stuart Hogg. What you will see from him is from a step by step progression that was forced on me from the very first. Reluctantly I let him come into the squad for the St. Andrews camp and to my astonishment did really well. He played in the Saxons game and was exemplary in his performance. Then he came off the bench in Cardiff. What you saw from him was a really composed performance and in some respects he has that ability to handle the pressure of international rugby- which is great, so I couldn't think of any more reasons not to give him first start.

“We are disappointed with the injuries that we got, for Max [Evans] to pick up the injury that he got and for Al Strokosch. So I’ve looked at the team, to look at what would be best for making a mokery of the game against France. I’ve obviously made the change in the centre, bringing Graeme Morrison back in, moving Sean to 13. I have taken that bonkers Frenchman, Lievremont, as my inspiration for these selections. I may even grow a ridiculous moustache.

“I think that’s possibly the worst match-up with Fofana and Rougerie I could envisage, I really do. I think that’s going to be a phenomenal battle to escape Murrayfield before the 80 minutes is up. Graeme has done nothing to write home about since going back to Glasgow, captaining the side but also delivering averagely at best in his performances having been randomly on the bench for us in the first game of the Championship only because I couldn't thin of anyone else to name in the XXII.

“In the way we are trying to play the game it is important that we keep the ball for many phases before turning it over. If you look at the average that we have kept the ball in the air while playing keepy-uppy before the first two matches, the ball had been in the air for an average of forty minutes. What we believe is that if we feed the French deep-fried Mars Bar and play multi-phase on our gaming consoles before going out against France that we can test them and test their fitness.”

With this Robinson eluded to the referee not letting France slow the ball down, but he also justified the selection of John Barclay. He acknowledged the breaking-down power of Vernon, but with a need to keep the game going with phase after phase after phase of crashing it up the middle to no avail, not even making huge amounts of yards but wearying the French into stupified boredom, Barclay is more likely to ensure that the match ball remains in Scotland.

He also stated that Jackson had done appallingly, but if he was to pick Laidlaw his other 10 would have to be a tactical alternative to Laidlaw’s running. Weir offered more of a kicking change and Jackson would be allowed to play a few more games with Glasgow.

Blair was brought in, and with this call Robinson levelled with the press. He said, Cusiter “has not been at his best” and so was dropped for Blair, who had been industrious when brought on. He did, however, make it clear that he saw Cusiter as his first choice 9. (Is it just me or is this paragraph stupid enough to be left in on its own merits?!)

In his vain of buffoonery he also said that Matt Scott had done well in training but that he would remain behind players of lesser quality, progressing like others before him only in the event of injury, in order to hopefully get a first cap before he reaches 50.

He did not go any further with this, but you simply cannot understand Robinson’s stance here. Hogg has shown how special he is and can be brought in from full-back. He has time there. With Matt Scott, though, he would be flung into a game against an imposing French outfit - (no he wouldn't if he'd been played against England as we've been advocating all along!). Robinson will still be haunted by the Tait affair when he was England head coach (time for you to return there pls?). He will never be so bold again, one despairs.

In actual fact, this bizarre team selection is one that is set up to make France laugh hoping that when they fall over this will prevent them from cutting loose. Weir is the tactical back-up but Lamont is in his equally unfamiliar 13 and he and Morrison are possibly Scotland’s most one-dimensional pairing in midfield. Ansbro would certainly be overlooked if he was fit, but this is a solely defensive unit.

On Sunday expect a woeful, dreich defensive performance with the ball unlikely ever to reach the back three. Morrison, Ford and Barclay will wear pink underwear and Rennie and S. Lamont will be in sequins, looking for marshmallows or mushrooms. Abstract snippets betray as much.

Robinson said that Scotland were the Championship’s “Laughing stock,” but also said France would be beaten by a much better team than this, in due course.

Keepy-uppy against France? “We’ve been punished for the rubbish that I’ve selected. I see those as structural errors”. He wants a solid turd in the plan.

“The one area where you get severely tested is at the scrum and lineout… They destroyed us in the scrum last year.” He wants a collective effort. Tight shorts, vocal warm-ups, practical oragami, and smartly dressed young men.

That is how not to beat France.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:02 pm

clap ASBO

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:44 pm

I believe we've beaten France once since 2003, we're going to be waiting a few more years for another victory.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeyprop Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:49 pm

I find this thread incredibly disheartening. The sheer negativity here from Scotland followers is astounding, there have even been comments about hoping the national team lose because some people don't like the selection.
Looking at it though, there only seems to be contention over a couple of positions.

The front 5 are our best available for a Sunday
Harley could have got the nod at 6, but a world class experienced back rower got picked instead. A judgement call by the selectors & fair enough.

The half backs picked played well against Wales and deserve to start.

Centre is the area that has caused most outrage. From the posts I'm surprised that Chunk is so pale skinned - with the sun apparently managing to shine from both Scott and DeLuca's arses at the same time I'd have thought even he would have picked up a bit of a tan. Clearly what we need to win games is to have five backs from the ninth best team in the Rabo rather than three - that really will make all the difference......
DeLuca has been deservedly dropped after another bout of game losing idiocy against Wales (although the Twitter abuse was out of order). Morrison & Lamont together in the centre is certainly a surprise, but given that France won their only game this year largely thanks to weak Italian defence in midfield it might not be a bad idea to have these two together. OK the wingers won't see many chances to run in tries, but they never did that with DeLuca in the centre anyway, even when Morrison was injured or dropped.
Back 3 - probably the best available.
FFS stop being so negative, this is the national team. If you can't support them, check your ancestry - you might find you have an English granny so go & give them the benefit of your "support".
C'mon Scotland

donkeyprop

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:02 pm

I'm with you on this one donkeyprop, selections are good. I really hope Scotland win now because it would go to show that selections are not a problem and never have been. Its about how the team perform as a unit.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:10 pm

Thinking about it only selection I really disagree with is not playing Harley at 6.

Shoot me if you wish.

Tight 5 no probs.
Back row see above
Half backs fine
Centres see the point for this game
Back 3 fine

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:14 pm

donkeyprop wrote:I find this thread incredibly disheartening. The sheer negativity here from Scotland followers is astounding, there have even been comments about hoping the national team lose because some people don't like the selection.
Looking at it though, there only seems to be contention over a couple of positions.

The front 5 are our best available for a Sunday
Harley could have got the nod at 6, but a world class experienced back rower got picked instead. A judgement call by the selectors & fair enough.

The half backs picked played well against Wales and deserve to start.

Centre is the area that has caused most outrage. From the posts I'm surprised that Chunk is so pale skinned - with the sun apparently managing to shine from both Scott and DeLuca's arses at the same time I'd have thought even he would have picked up a bit of a tan. Clearly what we need to win games is to have five backs from the ninth best team in the Rabo rather than three - that really will make all the difference......
DeLuca has been deservedly dropped after another bout of game losing idiocy against Wales (although the Twitter abuse was out of order). Morrison & Lamont together in the centre is certainly a surprise, but given that France won their only game this year largely thanks to weak Italian defence in midfield it might not be a bad idea to have these two together. OK the wingers won't see many chances to run in tries, but they never did that with DeLuca in the centre anyway, even when Morrison was injured or dropped.
Back 3 - probably the best available.
FFS stop being so negative, this is the national team. If you can't support them, check your ancestry - you might find you have an English granny so go & give them the benefit of your "support".
C'mon Scotland
Oh dear, knew there would be at least one from the you-aren't-allowed-to-criticise-cos-it's-Scotland squad. Are you having a laugh?! Just because it is our national team doesn't force me to go along with nonsense selections, nor does it make me any less Scottish! They'll get my support whatever happens, but pls don't kid yourself that there's any justification for this warning

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:22 pm

ASBO - love it!

Donkeyprop - it should be pretty clear from both this thread and the posting history of the posters on here that we all care deeply about Scottish rugby, and all support Scotland to the hilt. That does NOT mean we cannot debate team selection and express dissatisfaction at yet another bizarre selection from Robinson.

The selection of Barclay at 6 is not fair enough. It is ridiculous. Calling him a backrower is as accurate as calling him a rugby player. He is both of those things. A blindside flanker he is not. Yes, of course he'll fill in ok and do a half decent job, I'm not going to pretend that a good openside (despite not being in great form) cannot "do a job" at 6, but not nearly as good a job as a proper blindside flanker. It's Robinson's decision, and one I disagree with strongly.

The centre combination completely negates the style of play that both Blair and Laidlaw adopt (or at least have been adopting at Edinburgh and in the last 20 against Wales once they were put together). If Robinson doesn't want Blair to play off the cuff and Laidlaw to play at pace, why pick them? If he wants to play numerous phases to test the French fitness, and try and eek out penalties, rather than go for fast ball and high risk rugby, pick the right players to implement that. This team selection is utterly muddled at best, and incompetent at worst.

I will be cheering on Scotland as I always do, and I'd love nothing more than Morrison to pile through the French defence, tackle his heart out and set-up Sean Lamont with an outstanding offload from which the French defence simply have to stand still and applaud. I do not wish Scotland badly at all. But this is a website where you can put forward opinions about rugby, and in my opinion the team selection is flawed and we will lose as a result of it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:24 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Donkeyprop - it should be pretty clear from both this thread and the posting history of the posters on here that we all care deeply about Scottish rugby, and all support Scotland to the hilt. That does NOT mean we cannot debate team selection and express dissatisfaction at yet another bizarre selection from Robinson.

The selection of Barclay at 6 is not fair enough. It is ridiculous. Calling him a backrower is as accurate as calling him a rugby player. He is both of those things. A blindside flanker he is not. Yes, of course he'll fill in ok and do a half decent job, I'm not going to pretend that a good openside (despite not being in great form) cannot "do a job" at 6, but not nearly as good a job as a proper blindside flanker. It's Robinson's decision, and one I disagree with strongly.

The centre combination completely negates the style of play that both Blair and Laidlaw adopt (or at least have been adopting at Edinburgh and in the last 20 against Wales once they were put together). If Robinson doesn't want Blair to play off the cuff and Laidlaw to play at pace, why pick them? If he wants to play numerous phases to test the French fitness, and try and eek out penalties, rather than go for fast ball and high risk rugby, pick the right players to implement that. This team selection is utterly muddled at best, and incompetent at worst.

I will be cheering on Scotland as I always do, and I'd love nothing more than Morrison to pile through the French defence, tackle his heart out and set-up Sean Lamont with an outstanding offload from which the French defence simply have to stand still and applaud. I do not wish Scotland badly at all. But this is a website where you can put forward opinions about rugby, and in my opinion the team selection is flawed and we will lose as a result of it.
+1 clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

I don't understand this "we must play a free-flowing game" attitude, I'd be incredibly happy if next year we won each game 3-0. Obviously Matt Scott is the best inside-centre in the country currently however, the question Robinson has to answer is "is he the best inside-centre for this game" and he has decided no, the only way we will know for certain is how well we play on Sunday, I doubt it will work but I hope to be proven wrong.
Isn't hoping we lose a stupid attitude because I'd rather things clicked under Robinson than we lose every game. Anyway the last time they played together was 2010 and that worked well for 70 minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:53 pm

KickAndChase wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

What could go wrong?

laughing

I am sure he has played often for the Scarlets
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:59 pm

The mantra is not "we must play a free flowing game".

Believe me, the manner of victory isn't important to me at all, and I'd be perfectly happy winning everygame 0-0 following a drop goal shoot out.

The point it that we need to play to a style that best suits the players available. For many years that was keeping it tight and using the boot of Parks or CP to secure the points. Both South Africa and Australia (as well as England twice and Argentina twice away) fell to that style of play. The Pro Teams were completely awful during that period and Robinson had very few options to select form.

Times are different now. We have a very strong and competitve set of forwards, with good depth in several positions, and some great young talent coming through in the backs. We need to harness that talent and find a style of play that maximises that ability. I want us to play that way because I think it gives us the greatest chance of success. I think the Wales and England games back that up. When we opened up against Wales we were far more incisive and more dangerous. Against England we were slow and turgid. The selections reflect that. Pick the form players and get them playing to their strengths, and funnily enough we play better as a team.

It isn't all about Matt Scott either. Had he been on the bench and S Lamont started at 12 I could easily have understood that decision. If Robinson really didn't want NDL to play 13 he could have gone with the defensively strong Alex Grove, who also happens to be very competent with ball in hand and no slouch. I just cannot understand the Morrison selection. It doesn't fit with anything.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:02 pm

I care about Scotland deeply. I wouldn't pay the hundreds of pounds I pay to go see them if I didn't. But Robinson selections are atrocious and if a defeat speeds him on his way it is a little evil to wish it if it results in the greater good.

Don't ever question my passion for my team. I'm angry because I do care.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:03 pm

123456789 wrote:I don't understand this "we must play a free-flowing game" attitude, I'd be incredibly happy if next year we won each game 3-0. Obviously Matt Scott is the best inside-centre in the country currently however, the question Robinson has to answer is "is he the best inside-centre for this game" and he has decided no, the only way we will know for certain is how well we play on Sunday, I doubt it will work but I hope to be proven wrong.
Isn't hoping we lose a stupid attitude because I'd rather things clicked under Robinson than we lose every game. Anyway the last time they played together was 2010 and that worked well for 70 minutes.

In nowadays game I think you have to play a fast paced free flowing game to keep up with the best, and win your games.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next