The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland xv vs France

+39
justified sinner
donkeyprop
IanBru
MacKnocked-on
RDW
Mad for Chelsea
EWT Spoons
matcrf
bsando
caz
Hollbeck Ghyll
whocares
hugehandoff
NeilyBroon
KickAndChase
nickj
doctornickolas
George Carlin
sensisball
123skelm
TJ1
alive555
Scot Abroad
cp10
Manky-Flanker
bluestonevedder
Imperialbigdave
red_stag
21st Century Schizoid Man
cabbs123
Tattie Scones RRN
R!skysports
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pat_Mustard
Rory_Gallagher
flyhalffactory
43 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Scotland xv vs France - Page 5 Empty Scotland xv vs France

Post by 123456789 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:53 am

First topic message reminder :

15. Hogg- played well on his first cap and look very promising, he has to start
14. Jones- Looked good and made some promising breaks
13. De Luca- Bit of a muppet, give him a last international chance outside a decent ball-playing inside centre
12. Scott- Playing well at club, works well with De Luca, will bring something extra
11. Evans- Exciting and unpredictable player, could easily become a lion
10. Laidlaw- scored a try and Scotland's backs did something for a change
9. Blair- fast and snappy player brings fresh impetus. At his best he is world class as is
8. Beattie- Big gamble but if it pays off it could be fantastic
7. Rennie- very good, certain lion, world class as is Barclay on his best form
6. Denton- can lead a generation of wacky haired Scottish forwards with Gray, might be harsh to move him from 8
5. Hamilton- adds considerable bulk
4. Gray- irreplaceable, Scotland's only guaranteed Lions starter with ford
3. Cross- good in the loose, not convinced with his scrumming
2- Ford- world class player, best European hooker
1. Shiells/ Jacobsen- Shiells has proved himself to be solid in the aviva, Jacobsen is a true legend

16. Lawson- there in case ford get's injured
17. Kalman- will do a job
18. Kellock- true leader, solid lineout
19. Barclay- off form but a fantastic player, if we can get him back to his best then we'll have an almighty fight for the 7 shirt
20- Cusiter- tenacious but his passing can be slow and inaccurate
21. Weir- Solid kicker, nailed on starter in two years
22. S/R Lamonts- neither have been fantastic but will add bulk

Back to top Go down

Scotland xv vs France - Page 5 Empty Re: Scotland xv vs France

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:05 pm

KickAndChase wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Manky-Flanker wrote:Awesome looking French side, but worry not, Scotland have a 6 playing 8, a 7 playing 6, a 9 playing 10, a winger playing 13, a 13 sitting on the bench, and an on form 12 and 6 sitting at home.

What could go wrong?

laughing

Better to laugh this one off than spend this week and next week moping about it. I'm starting to develop a bit of Gallows Humour with this Scotland Team.

YES! EXACTLY! This is what I do - laugh it off and approach the entire realm of Scottish rugby with amusement and sarcasm until we come good again ... which could be many , many years down the line. It's been 12 years already after all.

Someone said 3 passes to the back line ... unless that includes catching French kicks and distributing to one another I I think that's a bit optimistic. Robinson's probably instructed them to sit back and wait for kicks anyway given the 12-13 axis is there for defense only.

Why pick a lightweight backrow then a heavyweight centre pairing? Couldn't you do it the other way round and then have some attacking flair? Why bring in Blair inside Laidlaw to help him and then put Morrison outside him? Why play S Lamont at 13 when HE HAS NEVER PLAYED THERE IN HIS LIFE? Can someone find or quote a game S Lamont has played 13? Why bench De Luca if it's not for the ill discipline (seeing as R Lamont is still playing)?

We're toast. Where's that facepalm smiley.

I am sure he has played often for the Scarlets
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:06 pm

S Lamont at 13 doesn't bother me that much. He's a good battering ram, and outside a clever playmaker at 12 he could be extremely effective, especially with his brother making dummy runs from the wing. That would give any side a headache.

It reminds me of Robinson's Tindall/Noon partnership with England. England fans always gave Jamie Noon a hard time, but I actually thought he was a really effective strong running 13, it was more that with Tindall at 12 he was never given a decent chance to showcase his ability.

Centre partnerships are all about balance. Morrison and Sean Lamont is not a balanced partnership, especially with Rory Lamont on the wing. Far too slow and cumbersome.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeyprop Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm

ASBO & FES - neither of you were among those I was referring to when I criticised posters for hoping Scotland lose - you have both been clear in your disagreement with the selection, but as far as I can see, neither of you have gone that far.
I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any debate over selection, but this side is not as bad as people are making out - there are only a couple of positions of contention and I'm more than happy for you to have a different opinion from me over these, and I'm still happy for Robinson to have selected Barclay rather than Harley, although I expect it was a close call.

FES, you make a fair point about the contrasting styles of the half-backs and centres, and perhaps a different set of half backs could have been picked. I personally don't think Laidlaw deserves to be dropped and felt that Blair did enough against Wales to justify a start, but feel free to disagree. As for a different centre pair - I'm happy to agree with you that DeLuca would be part of a high risk strategy, but I really don't think that adopting Edinburgh's "pass the ball to Visser" strategy will work without the crucial ingredient....

FES I disagree with you that the selection is utterly muddled at best, or incompetent. Even you seem to accept that with the players available it is pretty close to the strongest available side. We may well lose on Sunday, but if we do, I think it is more likely to be because the French have better players than us - remember they even managed to beat us when they had Lievremont selecting for them.

donkeyprop

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:16 pm

Well if you weren't refering to them you must have been referring to me. I explained my comments a few posts back. I attend just about ever home Scotland game without fail and have an Edinburgh season ticket. I love Scottish rugby and it hurts me to see it like this.

Under your logic of dropping NDL, how can you explain Rory Lamont keeping his place?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:18 pm

The most passionate fan would be the most vocal about something that is damaging his team I think.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:23 pm

I really don't think Edinburgh's tactics can be summarised as "pass the ball to Visser". That's not what I saw against Racing Metro and London Irish.

The De Luca issue is more that he usually has Matt Scott inside him, a clever playmaker at 12 with smooth distribution skills. He gets De Luca running onto the ball, and therefore gives De Luca the chance to catch the opposition on the hop and use his quick feet at pace. Without that De Luca struggles, as we've seen in the first two matches. Lamont and De Luca isn't really an ideal combination, but I still prefer it to Morrison and Lamont. As noted above, I think Alex Grove should have been considered as an option ahead of Morrison. Grove at 13 outside S Lamont would have been defensive but would have given Jones and Hogg at least a fighting chance of showing what they can do.

Yes, most of the selections are fine, but the selection at 12 is utterly critical in achieving a certain style of play. Yes, France have better players, and the team they have put down on paper is not one we can match man to man. That they have someone like Mermoz sitting on the bench is an indicator of the talent they have. But on the road they have been vulnerable in the past. Not so much to us, but certainly to other teams who have gone out and attacked them. We need to take the game to them and unsettle them, not give them time on the ball and time to get their defence sorted.

Yes, even with Lievremont's incompetence we were defeated, but if memory serves me right that was the first game of the tournament, and we had some Robinson classics in the side. Hines at 6, Parks at 10, Walker at 14 and Southwell at 15.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:31 pm

I can't begin to fathom how Andy Robinson thinks Lamont and Morrison are in the same league as FooFoo and Rougerie. In rugby terms I would describe it as a mismatch.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeyprop Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:32 pm

Radge - I just don't understand your position - even under the worst days of Matt Williams I still wanted Scotland to win every game they played & just can't see how someone can call themselves a supporter and hope the team loses. Sorry - I just don't see it.....

Re Lamont I'm can't defend the yellow card - it was a professional foul and he could have been dropped as well, although DeLuca's was the turning point in the game.

donkeyprop

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm

Had Max Evans been fit I suspect Rory Lamont would have been dropped, or at least relegated to the bench.

Let's just hope the ref is red hot at the breakdown, at least that'll give Rennie and Barclay a chance to cause France some problems.

I also hope that Robinson has seen something on the videos watching France that I missed watching the Italy game, and that the selections of Barclay and Morrison are part of some masterplan strategy to nullify the French, whilst not dimming the ability of Jones and Hogg to attack.

I live in hope.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:40 pm

As I said its a small evil for a greater good.

Robinson is bad for Scottish Rugby and I would hate his ludicrous decisions to be vindicated by a narrow win with no tries.

Don't get me wrong, if this team goes out on Sunday runs riot and scores tries for fun I will cheer loudly and gladly eat humble pie.

Can't see it though and I'm sick of hearing how "close" we are to clicking. Our team is a shambles and if a loss means Robinson moves on it WILL be better for Scottish rugby.

Hope you can understand my position.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Had Max Evans been fit I suspect Rory Lamont would have been dropped, or at least relegated to the bench.

Let's just hope the ref is red hot at the breakdown, at least that'll give Rennie and Barclay a chance to cause France some problems.

I also hope that Robinson has seen something on the videos watching France that I missed watching the Italy game, and that the selections of Barclay and Morrison are part of some masterplan strategy to nullify the French, whilst not dimming the ability of Jones and Hogg to attack.

I live in hope.

It's Wayne Barnes - unlikely. Expect all pile on in from the side no pens.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeyprop Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I really don't think Edinburgh's tactics can be summarised as "pass the ball to Visser".

The De Luca issue is more that he usually has Matt Scott inside him, a clever playmaker at 12 with smooth distribution skills. He gets De Luca running onto the ball, and therefore gives De Luca the chance to catch the opposition on the hop and use his quick feet at pace. Without that De Luca struggles, as we've seen in the first two matches. Lamont and De Luca isn't really an ideal combination, but I still prefer it to Morrison and Lamont. As noted above, I think Alex Grove should have been considered as an option ahead of Morrison. Grove at 13 outside S Lamont would have been defensive but would have given Jones and Hogg at least a fighting chance of showing what they can do.

Yes, most of the selections are fine, but the selection at 12 is utterly critical in achieving a certain style of play. Yes, France have better players, and the team they have put down on paper is not one we can match man to man. That they have someone like Mermoz sitting on the bench is an indicator of the talent they have. But on the road they have been vulnerable in the past. Not so much to us, but certainly to other teams who have gone out and attacked them. We need to take the game to them and unsettle them, not give them time on the ball and time to get their defence sorted.

Yes, even with Lievremont's incompetence we were defeated, but if memory serves me right that was the first game of the tournament, and we had some Robinson classics in the side. Hines at 6, Parks at 10, Walker at 14 and Southwell at 15.

Edinburgh have scored 29 tries in the Rabo, 10 from Visser.
I don't want to start a DeLuca bashing thread - there have been enough Scotland players bashed on these boards in the past, so I'll just say that I have not seen DeLuca play well for Scotland whoever he has had alongside.
You may be right about France's vulnerability to sides that attack them,bear in mind that Italy matched them in Paris by holding on to possession, and were beaten at least in part because of poor defence in midfield. There is no reason to assume that throwing the ball around is more likely to result in victory than a game based around controlling possession & I for one will be happy with a win, no matter how it is achieved.

donkeyprop

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:02 pm

donkeyprop wrote:
FES I disagree with you that the selection is utterly muddled at best, or incompetent. Even you seem to accept that with the players available it is pretty close to the strongest available side.

Nope - its muddled at best. we have better players available - more attacking ones. Scott and Grove. Its a mismatch. we have sparky livewire halfbacks but not the right back row to get them quick ball and not the right centres to use it if they get it.

Its a cowardly selection - hope we can stop them scoring not bet we can score more.

Robinson has been forced into every selection of the good young backs - reluctantly so.

When the team is tumbling down the world rankings, when we hardly win a competitive game and we have the best crop of young players I have seen ever for scotladn then the coach must take teh blame

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:24 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:I think Scotland and Ireland are on the same boat to be honest Wink

Trying to look at the positives, I am very happy to see Hogg there starting. Is Vernon not a fair bit down the pecking order though for the back rowers?

Good point Rory I'm glad we have Richie "the Bruiser" Vernon's physicality to come off the bench and give us some power in the backrow......

Doh again!

This is one of Robinson's worst teams he has ever picked. Where if FlyhalfFactory to defend this lunacy?

I am here............... however I dont know where you are going with your fixation, its getting a tad worrying, but glad to see your sensationlism is still right up there

Few things here

Hogg deserved his chance, and Rory played well when he went to the wing, we have also clamoured for our 9 and 10, and he has picked them so good stuff AR

Italy had a big midfield and France totally smashed them, especially with their fast back row.............. so based on that OH YES lets play NDL and Scott because they are just superb defensive centres especially as Hogg and Jones are men-mountain defenders behind the Scottish midfield, so what is the weak link in the Fench back line? well Wesley Fofana has very little experience so ok Morrison is a cart horse but hey he can target Fofana, and Schlong has played well for the Scarlets and he had a good game again Hook in 2010 on the international stage

Disappointed that Harley or McInally isnt playing at blindside as it would have balanced the back row that much better
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Thu 23 Feb 2012, 3:51 am

People are inferring S Lamont did play 13 in that 2010 game, so I must have been wrong.

To be honest, that was Scotland's best attacking performance in years. Not convinced it was sparked from the centres, but actually I'm now a little less annoyed.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:05 am

Its somehow reassuring that no matter how bad i think that Kidney is, AR could be worse Wink Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:00 am

Interesting piece by K Ferrie Esq. in the Herald today about the method to Andy's madness:

"Robinson throws Hogg in at the deep end for Scots

Stuart Hogg will become the first teenage Scot for 40 years to start a Test match when Scotland face France in the RBS 6 Nations Championship at Murrayfield on Sunday.

The 19-year-old, whose introduction is one of four changes in personnel after last week's defeat by Wales, could have no greater provenance since the last to do so was Jim Renwick, his fellow native of Hawick who has been acting as a mentor to the youngster.

Hogg's emergence is another triumph for the rugby-daft town and his stunning ability a further demonstration of what can be achieved if skills are honed under pressure at a sufficiently early age as Hogg himself alluded to on being called up.

"When I was a kid, we'd play full contact in the street in the Weensland area of Hawick," he recalled. "I'd be about five and there would be kids there up to about 12 or 13 years old and you'd always think about what it would be like to play for Scotland. Now I've got the opportunity to win for Scotland at Murrayfield . . . brilliant!"

Andy Robinson, the team's head coach, said he had been anxious to ensure that Hogg was introduced at the right time and believes his performance as a replacement in Cardiff indicates that is now.

"What I thought you saw from him was a really composed performance. He has that ability to handle the pressure of international rugby," he said.

In a major overhaul of the back line, Hogg's Glasgow Warriors clubmate Graeme Morrison is reintroduced at inside centre while both Lamont brothers switch position, Sean to outside centre and Rory to the wing, with Mike Blair replacing Chris Cusiter at scrum-half, albeit only in the short term, apparently.

"I think that's a great match up against [Wesley] Fofana and [Aurelien] Rougerie," Robinson said of the burly combination he has put together at centre.

"That's going to be a phenomenal battle in that midfield. Graeme's done well going back to Glasgow, captaining the side and with his performances. I feel in the way we're trying to play it's important that we're able to keep the ball through many phases. We believe that if we can keep the ball in play and play multi-phases against France we can test them and test their fitness.

"I've brought Mike Blair in. I think Cus [Chris Cusiter] has done well but has not been at his best. Mike has been at his best. We've got three fantastic nines. I believe that Cus for the long-term is our No.1 nine but I believe that sometimes you've got to make those changes and I thought that was the right one going into this game."

The only change to the pack is enforced with John Barclay replacing Al Strokosch, who has been ruled out with a broken hand.

"We felt we needed his pace to get in and secure ball for us and defensively to have the shape to turn over the French defence," Robinson said of the selection of a second specialist openside alongside Ross Rennie."

Things I Don't Understand No. 47 Erm :

1. Why pick a lightweight back row when you're particularly worried about the set piece?

2. Why put the lightest and least defensively minded of your two opensides on the blind?

3. Why not have a proper daisy cutter like McInally or Harley if you're worried about winning ball and constantly having to defend?

4. Why pronounce in an interview that Cusiter is your preferred choice of scrum half and then select Blair?

5. How can it be the case that big centres who can't pass are more likely to keep the ball through phases then playmakers who can offload?

6. How can you select a teenager at 15 (first in 40 years, so let's have some respect for Hogg) whilst at the same time be utterly conservative in your other selections?

7. What is the rationale for betting your whole game plan on the presumption that you're fitter than your opposition?

8. Why does Andrew Cotter always sounds like he's talking through a toilet roll?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:20 am

GC, these are the questions that need answering - I can see a career in journalism beckons for you, just a shame it won't have anything to do with Scottish rugby cos you're not allowed to ask tricky questions like these - it's part of the rules of the game OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:25 am

George Carlin wrote:8. Why does Andrew Cotter always sounds like he's talking through a toilet roll?

Laugh

Who is that guy anyway?

He is on par with that annoying Northern Irish bloke that does the darts.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:50 am

flyhalffactory wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:I think Scotland and Ireland are on the same boat to be honest Wink

Trying to look at the positives, I am very happy to see Hogg there starting. Is Vernon not a fair bit down the pecking order though for the back rowers?

Good point Rory I'm glad we have Richie "the Bruiser" Vernon's physicality to come off the bench and give us some power in the backrow......

Doh again!

This is one of Robinson's worst teams he has ever picked. Where if FlyhalfFactory to defend this lunacy?

I am here............... however I dont know where you are going with your fixation, its getting a tad worrying, but glad to see your sensationlism is still right up there

Few things here

Hogg deserved his chance, and Rory played well when he went to the wing, we have also clamoured for our 9 and 10, and he has picked them so good stuff AR

Italy had a big midfield and France totally smashed them, especially with their fast back row.............. so based on that OH YES lets play NDL and Scott because they are just superb defensive centres especially as Hogg and Jones are men-mountain defenders behind the Scottish midfield, so what is the weak link in the Fench back line? well Wesley Fofana has very little experience so ok Morrison is a cart horse but hey he can target Fofana, and Schlong has played well for the Scarlets and he had a good game again Hook in 2010 on the international stage

Disappointed that Harley or McInally isnt playing at blindside as it would have balanced the back row that much better

De Luca and Scott are good defenders though. Morrison couldnt target anyone in his life. he can organise a defence, but isnt this rock that he gets made out to be. Look how SBW destroyed him in 2010, and has since gone on to show hes not the messiah and been shut down quite effectively. Morrison gets made out to be this outstanding defender by people covering just how pathetic he is in attack, when hes had his fair share of mistakes over the past few years.

Not aimed specifically at you flyhalf, but if Lining up against a guy with one cap, with the team having nothing to lose isnt the right time to make a debut, then I dont know what is.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:53 am

George Carlin wrote:Interesting piece by K Ferrie Esq. in the Herald today about the method to Andy's madness:

"Robinson throws Hogg in at the deep end for Scots

Stuart Hogg will become the first teenage Scot for 40 years to start a Test match when Scotland face France in the RBS 6 Nations Championship at Murrayfield on Sunday.

The 19-year-old, whose introduction is one of four changes in personnel after last week's defeat by Wales, could have no greater provenance since the last to do so was Jim Renwick, his fellow native of Hawick who has been acting as a mentor to the youngster.

Hogg's emergence is another triumph for the rugby-daft town and his stunning ability a further demonstration of what can be achieved if skills are honed under pressure at a sufficiently early age as Hogg himself alluded to on being called up.

"When I was a kid, we'd play full contact in the street in the Weensland area of Hawick," he recalled. "I'd be about five and there would be kids there up to about 12 or 13 years old and you'd always think about what it would be like to play for Scotland. Now I've got the opportunity to win for Scotland at Murrayfield . . . brilliant!"

Andy Robinson, the team's head coach, said he had been anxious to ensure that Hogg was introduced at the right time and believes his performance as a replacement in Cardiff indicates that is now.

"What I thought you saw from him was a really composed performance. He has that ability to handle the pressure of international rugby," he said.

In a major overhaul of the back line, Hogg's Glasgow Warriors clubmate Graeme Morrison is reintroduced at inside centre while both Lamont brothers switch position, Sean to outside centre and Rory to the wing, with Mike Blair replacing Chris Cusiter at scrum-half, albeit only in the short term, apparently.

"I think that's a great match up against [Wesley] Fofana and [Aurelien] Rougerie," Robinson said of the burly combination he has put together at centre.

"That's going to be a phenomenal battle in that midfield. Graeme's done well going back to Glasgow, captaining the side and with his performances. I feel in the way we're trying to play it's important that we're able to keep the ball through many phases. We believe that if we can keep the ball in play and play multi-phases against France we can test them and test their fitness.

"I've brought Mike Blair in. I think Cus [Chris Cusiter] has done well but has not been at his best. Mike has been at his best. We've got three fantastic nines. I believe that Cus for the long-term is our No.1 nine but I believe that sometimes you've got to make those changes and I thought that was the right one going into this game."

The only change to the pack is enforced with John Barclay replacing Al Strokosch, who has been ruled out with a broken hand.

"We felt we needed his pace to get in and secure ball for us and defensively to have the shape to turn over the French defence," Robinson said of the selection of a second specialist openside alongside Ross Rennie."

Things I Don't Understand No. 47 Erm :

1. Why pick a lightweight back row when you're particularly worried about the set piece?

2. Why put the lightest and least defensively minded of your two opensides on the blind?

3. Why not have a proper daisy cutter like McInally or Harley if you're worried about winning ball and constantly having to defend?

4. Why pronounce in an interview that Cusiter is your preferred choice of scrum half and then select Blair?

5. How can it be the case that big centres who can't pass are more likely to keep the ball through phases then playmakers who can offload?

6. How can you select a teenager at 15 (first in 40 years, so let's have some respect for Hogg) whilst at the same time be utterly conservative in your other selections?

7. What is the rationale for betting your whole game plan on the presumption that you're fitter than your opposition?

8. Why does Andrew Cotter always sounds like he's talking through a toilet roll?

Every single question +1

It seems as Scotland fans we are being served up mediocracy and are supposed to acknowlege that the SRU and their coaching team know best.

In every match I can clearly remember AR has made huge mistakes in selection, this is another such mistake that he must be held accountable for.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:13 am

I think some people are missing a few Braveheart 's here! Very Happy

I agree with the remarks that have been said above - we're passionate Scottish supporters but these threads would be pretty boring if every article was "I agree entirely with Robinson's selections"!

I am probably more in the "cautiously optimistic" camp than the "we're going to get humped" camp but still am not entirely happy with the team selection.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:20 am

I'd rather comment on boring threads RDW if it meant Robinson picking the right team and us winning a few more matches for a change.

I'd even talk about knitting and Jehova's Witnesses.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:21 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I'd rather comment on boring threads RDW if it meant Robinson picking the right team and us winning a few more matches for a change.

I'd even talk about knitting and Jehova's Witnesses.

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:30 am

From my favourite Hootsman journalist and Andy Robinson's loyal dugg (dog) Ferguson :

Expediency of ending sequence of defeats means the creativity fans crave must wait

AT FIRST glance the Scotland team selected to face France does not reveal the new creative midfield that the national coaches and supporters have been desperately seeking, but there are two key reasons behind that and both come back to the simple immediacy of the need to win Sunday’s Test match. The first is the reality of Scotland’s current resources. With a worrying lack of centres with high-quality passing skills, and no John Leslie-type flying in, Andy Robinson and Gregor Townsend are eagerly watching the progress of young centres Matt Scott at Edinburgh and Clermont Auvergne’s Mark Bennett. But Robinson has learned from experience, notably the early debut he handed teenage centre Mathew Tait with England, that timing is crucial to ensuring talent is not ruined through premature exposure to Test intensity, which is one reason why he is not throwing Scott a debut this weekend.

It is debatable when the best time is to expose a young player, and we could argue the point over Scott, but Ruaridh Jackson, Richie Gray, Lee Jones, Dave Denton, Greig Laidlaw and Stuart Hogg have all been brought through from the ‘A’ team to the senior squad, from training involvement to a place in the 22, and their performances would attest to Robinson getting that right so far. Scott has joined the senior squad for training and so is, in essence, two steps behind Hogg.

The head coach and his assistants have also been sensible in allowing Hogg to remain at full-back for his first Test start this weekend. They agree with his coach at Glasgow, Sean Lineen, that the 19-year-old has the potential to excite at outside centre, but he has enjoyed only two runs there at professional level. At full-back he has found his feet and plays with real confidence, and with more time and space than that afforded at centre he will be a crucial figure in attack and defence on Sunday.

Injuries have also deprived Robinson of Max Evans (ankle) and Joe Ansbro (back). There was a hint from Robinson yesterday that he would have restored Evans to the 13 jersey and Sean Lamont to the wing had Evans recovered, while Ansbro could be a contender for the final two championship matches if he features for London Irish in the next two weeks.

Nick De Luca might have been retained at 13 but Robinson has opted instead for Lamont’s physique against 6ft 4in Rougerie. One suspects that De Luca has also paid the price for his rash sin-binning which opened the door to Wales two weeks ago.

The second key point is that as coaches are required to live in the moment while the rest of us can theorise on what may or may not happen were they to gamble with other selections, they are charged with creating a tactical plan around the players at their disposal to win Sunday’s game, and ease the pressure after four successive defeats.

So, looking at the fact that France have the most potent strike-force of any of the tournament’s sides and the best strike-rate over recent championships, having averaged nearly three per game – and three per game against Scotland in that time too (it is 20 years since they failed to touch down against Scotland) – it is understandable why defence is a primary thought.

He has resisted bringing Ruaridh Jackson back into the matchday squad, as the Glasgow fly-half needs more games after a lengthy period out injured, and is sticking with Greig Laidlaw, which chimes with the thoughts of most supporters.

However, as gutsy as he is Laidlaw is just 5ft 9in and so defence is not the strongest part of his game at Test level, as witnessed in Cardiff with one missed tackle letting 6ft 6in Alex Cuthbert in for a try and others contributing to Wales’ momentum. Laidlaw has good running and passing skills, and he is the sharpest rugby brain at Robinson’s disposal, but the idea of introducing youngster Scott alongside in the face of the marauding French back row and physical centres then becomes questionable.

Graeme Morrison’s greatest strength is his defence. He is not the free-running ball-player that Scott could be, and is still working to rediscover his best form, but he is resolute in Test rugby with great experience of nullifying French attacks.

This weekend Scotland will need that against the formidable duo of Wesley Fofana – the Clermont Auvergne youngster only made his debut against Italy but he is a potent mix of skill, pace and strength – and his veteran clubmate Aurelien Rougerie.

“I think that’s a great match-up with Fofana and Rougerie,” said Robinson. “It’s going to be a phenomenal battle in that midfield. Graeme has done well going back to Glasgow, captaining the side and in his performances, after being on the bench for us in the first game of the championship. Matt is still on that progression we have talked about. With the way we’re trying to play the game it’s important that we’re able to keep the ball for many phases. We believe that if we can play multi-phases against France then we can test them, and their fitness.

“Key to that is that the referee [Wayne Barnes] doesn’t allow France to slow the game down, but with Sean Lamont carrying the way he’s carried, and with Richie Gray, Ross Ford, David Denton and Graeme now as well, we will be able to keep the ball for many phases, and then it’s about taking the chances that we create.”

This weekend, creating chances first will be tougher than in the opening two games and this selection does not point to more line-breaks off first-phase. So how do Scotland uncork an attack to threaten the French?

Robinson alluded to his plan when he stated that the route to progress on Sunday lies with his side’s ability to retain possession and test France’s fitness levels. The French coach Philippe Saint-Andre pinpointed that on Tuesday, highlighting how his players were not used to games where the ball was in play for 46 minutes, as when Scotland played Wales. He cited Stade Francais’ match with Toulon in the Top 14 as showing a ball-in-play time of just 26 minutes. Robinson came up with another statistic of time.

“If you watch the Top 14 games the ball is in play around 26 seconds for each phase of play,” he said, “where we’ve been playing for two or three minutes of phases. They have a more stop-start nature to their game, so that’s where we have to try to impose our game, but you can only do that if you keep the ball.

“If we keep the ball and keep going forward then we can ask questions of this team, but if we are turning over ball or dropping passes it will allow France to get into the game.”

With the blend of big ball-carriers through the pack and at centre, and experience in retaining possession, phases will be the key to bringing the back three of Hogg, Rory Lamont and Lee Jones into play, sapping French energy and cracking open holes.

It all starts with an almighty battle in the forwards where Scotland need good set-piece ball, and to uncover real improvement at the breakdown, but with the pack growing with each game and two openside flankers picked in Ross Rennie and John Barclay Scotland are certainly going for it.

The Title says it all :

"Expediency of ending sequence of defeats means the creativity fans crave must wait"

Seriously...... Robinson, Townsend and ferguson must take us all for utter fools. Can't they see that the reason we are being defeated is because we are toothless in attack and cause the defences no problems whatsoever? The sequence of deafeats is not going to end untill we can start to threaten the defences we are attacking.

"One suspects that De Luca has also paid the price for his rash sin-binning which opened the door to Wales two weeks ago."

Yet Rory Lamont remains unpunished. NDL made a mistake on Sunday against Wales that probably did contribute to us losing the match, but I would take a Scott and NDL partnership over this bish bash bosh crash merchant centre we are going to have to endure on Sunday.

"So, looking at the fact that France have the most potent strike-force of any of the tournament’s sides and the best strike-rate over recent championships, having averaged nearly three per game – and three per game against Scotland in that time too (it is 20 years since they failed to touch down against Scotland) – it is understandable why defence is a primary thought."

Because playing a defencive game has worked really well for the last 20 years? laughing furious

"Graeme Morrison’s greatest strength is his defence. He is not the free-running ball-player that Scott could be, and is still working to rediscover his best form, but he is resolute in Test rugby with great experience of nullifying French attacks."

See point above ^

“I think that’s a great match-up with Fofana and Rougerie,” said Robinson. “It’s going to be a phenomenal battle in that midfield."

I wouldn't really call it a battle , that suggests both sides have an equal chance of winning.

"Robinson alluded to his plan when he stated that the route to progress on Sunday lies with his side’s ability to retain possession and test France’s fitness levels."

These are professional rugby players, not the Alloa 3rd XV. Testing their fitness when they have had a 3 week recovery since their last test match is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard him say.

"It all starts with an almighty battle in the forwards where Scotland need good set-piece ball, and to uncover real improvement at the breakdown, but with the pack growing with each game and two openside flankers picked in Ross Rennie and John Barclay Scotland are certainly going for it."

Another abortion of a statement. The bulk of the bqckrow carrying and tackling responsibility now sits with Denton, and he is going to have to hope Gray, Ford and Cross get their sleeves rolled up and help him with tackling and carrying duties because he is going to have one long shift on Sunday if they don't.

mad furious mad furious mad furious mad furious

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by ghad Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:39 am

Poor Scott, he's got a lot to live up to if/when he gets his first cap.

Question for edinburgh fans (Radge, IBD). Although scoring lots of tries, the edinburgh defence has been a bit leaky. What/who is the cause of this?

I'm not overly fussed about the centres. I thought we were quite good at attacking the fringes of the breakdown in the Wales game and keeping it tight then putting it out. Maybe Morrison could get involved in that. Did the Hogg non-try not come from such a play? Having said that the french back row are rather good at combatting this.

Would have liked to have seen Harley starting but at least it means we have him for the Leinster match!

ghad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:53 am

The Leaky defence is actually something of a myth. Lets just take the HC this year for example.

Castres Conceded 19 tries
RM92 conceded 19 tries
Bath Conceded 15 tries
Northampton Conceded 16 tries
Glasgow Conceded 12 Tries (more than Edinburgh, pay attention Andy Robinson)
Toulouse conceded 11
Glaws Conceded 11
Edinburgh Conceded 11 Tries
London Irish Conceded 11 tries
Munster Conceded 10 tries

Of course statistics like this only tell part of a story but Edinburgh don't concede as many tries as most people think.

They conceded one more try than Munster and only 3 more than Leinster.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:18 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:From my favourite Hootsman journalist and Andy Robinson's loyal dugg (dog) Ferguson :

Expediency of ending sequence of defeats means the creativity fans crave must wait

AT FIRST glance the Scotland team selected to face France does not reveal the new creative midfield that the national coaches and supporters have been desperately seeking, but there are two key reasons behind that and both come back to the simple immediacy of the need to win Sunday’s Test match. The first is the reality of Scotland’s current resources. With a worrying lack of centres with high-quality passing skills, and no John Leslie-type flying in, Andy Robinson and Gregor Townsend are eagerly watching the progress of young centres Matt Scott at Edinburgh and Clermont Auvergne’s Mark Bennett. But Robinson has learned from experience, notably the early debut he handed teenage centre Mathew Tait with England, that timing is crucial to ensuring talent is not ruined through premature exposure to Test intensity, which is one reason why he is not throwing Scott a debut this weekend.

It is debatable when the best time is to expose a young player, and we could argue the point over Scott, but Ruaridh Jackson, Richie Gray, Lee Jones, Dave Denton, Greig Laidlaw and Stuart Hogg have all been brought through from the ‘A’ team to the senior squad, from training involvement to a place in the 22, and their performances would attest to Robinson getting that right so far. Scott has joined the senior squad for training and so is, in essence, two steps behind Hogg.

The head coach and his assistants have also been sensible in allowing Hogg to remain at full-back for his first Test start this weekend. They agree with his coach at Glasgow, Sean Lineen, that the 19-year-old has the potential to excite at outside centre, but he has enjoyed only two runs there at professional level. At full-back he has found his feet and plays with real confidence, and with more time and space than that afforded at centre he will be a crucial figure in attack and defence on Sunday.

Injuries have also deprived Robinson of Max Evans (ankle) and Joe Ansbro (back). There was a hint from Robinson yesterday that he would have restored Evans to the 13 jersey and Sean Lamont to the wing had Evans recovered, while Ansbro could be a contender for the final two championship matches if he features for London Irish in the next two weeks.

Nick De Luca might have been retained at 13 but Robinson has opted instead for Lamont’s physique against 6ft 4in Rougerie. One suspects that De Luca has also paid the price for his rash sin-binning which opened the door to Wales two weeks ago.

The second key point is that as coaches are required to live in the moment while the rest of us can theorise on what may or may not happen were they to gamble with other selections, they are charged with creating a tactical plan around the players at their disposal to win Sunday’s game, and ease the pressure after four successive defeats.

So, looking at the fact that France have the most potent strike-force of any of the tournament’s sides and the best strike-rate over recent championships, having averaged nearly three per game – and three per game against Scotland in that time too (it is 20 years since they failed to touch down against Scotland) – it is understandable why defence is a primary thought.

He has resisted bringing Ruaridh Jackson back into the matchday squad, as the Glasgow fly-half needs more games after a lengthy period out injured, and is sticking with Greig Laidlaw, which chimes with the thoughts of most supporters.

However, as gutsy as he is Laidlaw is just 5ft 9in and so defence is not the strongest part of his game at Test level, as witnessed in Cardiff with one missed tackle letting 6ft 6in Alex Cuthbert in for a try and others contributing to Wales’ momentum. Laidlaw has good running and passing skills, and he is the sharpest rugby brain at Robinson’s disposal, but the idea of introducing youngster Scott alongside in the face of the marauding French back row and physical centres then becomes questionable.

Graeme Morrison’s greatest strength is his defence. He is not the free-running ball-player that Scott could be, and is still working to rediscover his best form, but he is resolute in Test rugby with great experience of nullifying French attacks.

This weekend Scotland will need that against the formidable duo of Wesley Fofana – the Clermont Auvergne youngster only made his debut against Italy but he is a potent mix of skill, pace and strength – and his veteran clubmate Aurelien Rougerie.

“I think that’s a great match-up with Fofana and Rougerie,” said Robinson. “It’s going to be a phenomenal battle in that midfield. Graeme has done well going back to Glasgow, captaining the side and in his performances, after being on the bench for us in the first game of the championship. Matt is still on that progression we have talked about. With the way we’re trying to play the game it’s important that we’re able to keep the ball for many phases. We believe that if we can play multi-phases against France then we can test them, and their fitness.

“Key to that is that the referee [Wayne Barnes] doesn’t allow France to slow the game down, but with Sean Lamont carrying the way he’s carried, and with Richie Gray, Ross Ford, David Denton and Graeme now as well, we will be able to keep the ball for many phases, and then it’s about taking the chances that we create.”

This weekend, creating chances first will be tougher than in the opening two games and this selection does not point to more line-breaks off first-phase. So how do Scotland uncork an attack to threaten the French?

Robinson alluded to his plan when he stated that the route to progress on Sunday lies with his side’s ability to retain possession and test France’s fitness levels. The French coach Philippe Saint-Andre pinpointed that on Tuesday, highlighting how his players were not used to games where the ball was in play for 46 minutes, as when Scotland played Wales. He cited Stade Francais’ match with Toulon in the Top 14 as showing a ball-in-play time of just 26 minutes. Robinson came up with another statistic of time.

“If you watch the Top 14 games the ball is in play around 26 seconds for each phase of play,” he said, “where we’ve been playing for two or three minutes of phases. They have a more stop-start nature to their game, so that’s where we have to try to impose our game, but you can only do that if you keep the ball.

“If we keep the ball and keep going forward then we can ask questions of this team, but if we are turning over ball or dropping passes it will allow France to get into the game.”

With the blend of big ball-carriers through the pack and at centre, and experience in retaining possession, phases will be the key to bringing the back three of Hogg, Rory Lamont and Lee Jones into play, sapping French energy and cracking open holes.

It all starts with an almighty battle in the forwards where Scotland need good set-piece ball, and to uncover real improvement at the breakdown, but with the pack growing with each game and two openside flankers picked in Ross Rennie and John Barclay Scotland are certainly going for it.

The Title says it all :

"Expediency of ending sequence of defeats means the creativity fans crave must wait"

Seriously...... Robinson, Townsend and ferguson must take us all for utter fools. Can't they see that the reason we are being defeated is because we are toothless in attack and cause the defences no problems whatsoever? The sequence of deafeats is not going to end untill we can start to threaten the defences we are attacking.

"One suspects that De Luca has also paid the price for his rash sin-binning which opened the door to Wales two weeks ago."

Yet Rory Lamont remains unpunished. NDL made a mistake on Sunday against Wales that probably did contribute to us losing the match, but I would take a Scott and NDL partnership over this bish bash bosh crash merchant centre we are going to have to endure on Sunday.

"So, looking at the fact that France have the most potent strike-force of any of the tournament’s sides and the best strike-rate over recent championships, having averaged nearly three per game – and three per game against Scotland in that time too (it is 20 years since they failed to touch down against Scotland) – it is understandable why defence is a primary thought."

Because playing a defencive game has worked really well for the last 20 years? laughing furious

"Graeme Morrison’s greatest strength is his defence. He is not the free-running ball-player that Scott could be, and is still working to rediscover his best form, but he is resolute in Test rugby with great experience of nullifying French attacks."

See point above ^

“I think that’s a great match-up with Fofana and Rougerie,” said Robinson. “It’s going to be a phenomenal battle in that midfield."

I wouldn't really call it a battle , that suggests both sides have an equal chance of winning.

"Robinson alluded to his plan when he stated that the route to progress on Sunday lies with his side’s ability to retain possession and test France’s fitness levels."

These are professional rugby players, not the Alloa 3rd XV. Testing their fitness when they have had a 3 week recovery since their last test match is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard him say.

"It all starts with an almighty battle in the forwards where Scotland need good set-piece ball, and to uncover real improvement at the breakdown, but with the pack growing with each game and two openside flankers picked in Ross Rennie and John Barclay Scotland are certainly going for it."

Another abortion of a statement. The bulk of the bqckrow carrying and tackling responsibility now sits with Denton, and he is going to have to hope Gray, Ford and Cross get their sleeves rolled up and help him with tackling and carrying duties because he is going to have one long shift on Sunday if they don't.

mad furious mad furious mad furious mad furious

Hmm. Smells like an intentional apologist piece on behalf of Robinson.

Makes sense - if Andy knows that most Scotland fans don't agree with his selections, the least he can do is publicly make it known why he made them.

Explains why Fergie always knows the team in advance and leaks it to avoid fury mingling with the disappointment.

If AR doesn't cut loose in the summer tests, then I'll be the first to call for his head. Hopefully Johnson can inject some nous into the backline.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:The Leaky defence is actually something of a myth. Lets just take the HC this year for example.

Castres Conceded 19 tries
RM92 conceded 19 tries
Bath Conceded 15 tries
Northampton Conceded 16 tries
Glasgow Conceded 12 Tries (more than Edinburgh, pay attention Andy Robinson)
Toulouse conceded 11
Glaws Conceded 11
Edinburgh Conceded 11 Tries
London Irish Conceded 11 tries
Munster Conceded 10 tries

Of course statistics like this only tell part of a story but Edinburgh don't concede as many tries as most people think.

They conceded one more try than Munster and only 3 more than Leinster.

Exactly. In big pressure games, Edinburghs defence has generally been pretty good (Racing Metro aside, but they were running the ball brilliantly). The leaky defence argument that gets bandied about stems more fom edinburghs league performances where we dont seem to be giving as much attention towards. Dont get me wrong, their league performances have been pretty atrocious this season at times, but remember they are letting a whole bunch of youngsters cut their teeth, suggesting that they are treating it as a learning process. youngsters this season that have played in the league include : leonard, hunter, watson, gilchrist, walker, hislop, niven, and many more.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

What worries me most about the AR quotes he shows that he favours certain players even if they are not in form - ignoring out of form players

Think this is essentailly what his problem has and always will be

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

What worries me is that there seems to be an acknowledgement in that articles that both Lineen and Robinson think Hogg should play at 13.

Why on God's earth would we do that? He played at 15 for the U20s, at 15 for Glasgow at the start of the season (with great success), at 15 for Scotland A (he was outstanding) and at 15 against Wales, where his appearance has earned him many plaudits.

I've only seen him have quiet games twice for Glasgow, and both times were at 13.

We have Bennett coming through, and Grove, NDL, Ansbro and Max Evans as good options at 13 (and Sean Lamont apparently). At 15, other than Hogg, we have Rory Lamont and Jim Thompson, possibly also Tom Brown. None of those have really convinced yet, although I hope next season with CP gone that Thompson can really stake a claim.

Hogg is better at 15, and we have a far bigger craving for cover at 15. This whole 13 business is nonsense. He should not be mucked about. He could become a really great 15.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:09 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:What worries me is that there seems to be an acknowledgement in that articles that both Lineen and Robinson think Hogg should play at 13.

Why on God's earth would we do that? He played at 15 for the U20s, at 15 for Glasgow at the start of the season (with great success), at 15 for Scotland A (he was outstanding) and at 15 against Wales, where his appearance has earned him many plaudits.

I've only seen him have quiet games twice for Glasgow, and both times were at 13.

We have Bennett coming through, and Grove, NDL, Ansbro and Max Evans as good options at 13 (and Sean Lamont apparently). At 15, other than Hogg, we have Rory Lamont and Jim Thompson, possibly also Tom Brown. None of those have really convinced yet, although I hope next season with CP gone that Thompson can really stake a claim.

Hogg is better at 15, and we have a far bigger craving for cover at 15. This whole 13 business is nonsense. He should not be mucked about. He could become a really great 15.
+1 Couldn't agree more, yet more buffoonery Doh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:44 pm

I agree FES. I was disappointed to hear the Hogg at 13 stuff being brought up again.

He's playing well at 15 and he's got v little competition in that position for club and country, so why not keep him there.

So what if he MIGHT make a good 13, he's already a good, international standard 15. We've got plenty of 13's coming through, but no 15's.

It doesnt take a genius does it?

Interestingly this morning's Guardian's interview with the 88 Welsh triple crown team showed they shoe horned 4 outside halves into that nifty little outfit.

I'm not saying we should create a team of guys who don't know their best position. But do you guys think some of our youngsters could or should play out of position for the national team in the future?

I realise rugby has changed and positions are more important but could we see Laidlaw, Weir and Jackson in the same team?

How could we blend their talents with, say: Scott, Bennett, Hogg, Jones, Fife, Visser and Farndale?

Personally I think really good players can play a number of positions. And Hogg looks like a really good player.

Last edited by nickj on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mistake)

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

Well I've seen Scott play pretty well at 12 and 13, and although Leonard has played 10 for Edinburgh this season he can also play 12 so I'm told. Bennett can play wing or outside centre, as can Max Evans and Joe Ansbro, and Laidlaw can play 9 or 10. All in all we're not doing too badly for versatility.

I'd quite like Glasgow to take a look at Jackson at 12 personally. He's perhaps lightweight but with the right 13 and wingers it could work.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I'd quite like Glasgow to take a look at Jackson at 12 personally. He's perhaps lightweight but with the right 13 and wingers it could work.

Just move Graeme Morrison to 13! Run

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

Looking to the future, thought I'd take a look at what strength in depth we have across the backline:

9: Greig Laidlaw (I'm ignoring Blair, Cusiter and Lawson cos we might have them for the next 3 or so years, but I'd expect their powers to be on the wane) - possible alternatives are Ross Samson & Murray McConnell

10: Ruaridh Jackson, Duncan Weir, Harry Leonard, Gregor Hunter, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

11: Tim MacVisser (ignoring Sean Lamont for same reasons as SHs)

12: Matt Scott

13: Joe Ansbro, Nick de Luca, Alex Grove, Mark Bennett, Robbie Fergusson

14: Lee Jones, Max Evans, Sean Maitland, Jamie Farndale

15: Stuart Hogg, Tom Brown

There's a fair bit of talent coming thru (and I'm sure that I've missed some), but there are some worrying shortages, most notably at 9, 11 & 12. Any thoughts?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

I was thinking more S Lamont at 13, with R Lamont and DTH on the wings and Hogg at 15. Worth a go in a pre-season run out I think. Nathan has been ok, but getting Weir and Jackson playing together at 10 and 12 would be a great trick to pull off.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:59 pm

Wrong thread FES?? Doh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 23 Feb 2012, 5:04 pm

Sorry - got confused there cause just noticed you were saying Glasgow should consider it, and ASBO replied as if it was Scotland, and I thought this was being discussed on a Glasgow topic somewhere and you'd posted here by mistake!

My bad! Doh

I really need to go home - my brain is obviously mush!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:20 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Looking to the future, thought I'd take a look at what strength in depth we have across the backline:

9: Greig Laidlaw (I'm ignoring Blair, Cusiter and Lawson cos we might have them for the next 3 or so years, but I'd expect their powers to be on the wane) - possible alternatives are Ross Samson & Murray McConnell

10: Ruaridh Jackson, Duncan Weir, Harry Leonard, Gregor Hunter, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

There's a fair bit of talent coming thru (and I'm sure that I've missed some), but there are some worrying shortages, most notably at 9, 11 & 12. Any thoughts?

Braveheart

Maitland back in the Crusaders squad for SuperXV this year, only a matter of time before he gets his first ABs cap Sad

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:23 pm

SA,

aye but Robinson would play Maitland at lock !!!! Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:33 pm

sean maitland is a no chance http://www.allblacks.com/news/13138/NZ-Maori-squad-named-for-Sealord-NZ-Maori-Centenary-Series

he's been in a New Zealand squad, I can't for the life of me see him coming to play for Scotland sadly. Mark Bennett is a bright prospect abroad right now. Not sure who else may be on the Scottish radar, but our players are actually looking okay at home for once, Robinson just has to bloody pick them!!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

Don't be ridiculous, why would you play for the world cup winners when you can play for a free flowing side, with a forward thinking head coach like Scotland?
What about Dougie Fife he looks good and Alex Blair, who I fear will probably end up playing in England or France due to the fact that the Scottish clubs are covered at ten now and Edinburgh are unlikely to change their mind on Blair, both promising talents.
I think we should take this squad in June:
Full back- Hogg and Brown
Wing- Visser, Jones, Evans Ramont
Outside centre- De Luca, Ansbro
Inside Centre- Scott, Lamont
Fly-half- Weir, Jackson, Leonard/ Hunter (depends who is playing better)
Versatile half-back- Laidlaw
Scrum-Half- Cusiter, Blair, Lawson
No.8- Denton, Vernon/Beattie/Wilson (depends on who is playing better)
No. 7- Grant, Rennie, Barclay
No.6- Harley, McInally, Brown
Locks- Gray, Hamilton, Kellock, MacKenzie, Gilchrist
Props- Murray, Cross, Shiells, Jacobsen, Kalman
Hooker- MacArthur, Lawson, Ford
38 Man squad

Starting team of:
15. Hogg
14. Jones
13. Evans
12. Scott
11. Visser
10. Laidlaw/Weir
9.Cusiter/ Blair
8. Denton
7. Rennie/Barclay
6. Brown
5. Hamilton
4.Gray
3.Murray
2. Ford
1. Jacobsen

16. Shiells
17. Lawson
18. Gilchrist
19. McInally/Harley
20. Blair/Cusiter
21.Weir/Laidlaw
22. S. Lamont

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:50 pm

123456789 wrote:
15. Hogg
14. Jones
13. Evans
12. Scott
11. Visser
10. Laidlaw/Weir
9.Cusiter/ Blair

Now that would be good backline!! Really hope it eventuates.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:26 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Looking to the future, thought I'd take a look at what strength in depth we have across the backline:

Braveheart

I think Harry Leonard will eventually settle at 12 personally. I also hope that Jackson will eventually become more versatile and offer services at both 10 and 12. Just a hunch.

Worth also adding Ben Cairns and Jim Thompson.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:49 am

bsando wrote:
123456789 wrote:
15. Hogg
14. Jones
13. Evans
12. Scott
11. Visser
10. Laidlaw/Weir
9.Cusiter/ Blair

Now that would be good backline!! Really hope it eventuates.

Nice and attack minded but would get eaten alive by the massive South Sea Islanders!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:21 am

My Squad for the summer tour :

Full Back : JT, Hogg, R.Lamont
Wings : Visser, Jones, Evans, S.Lamont,
Centres : NDL, Ansbro, Scott, King, Bennet
Flyhalf : Weir, Jackson, Leonard
Scrum Half : Laidlaw, Blair, Cusiter

No 8 : McInally, Wilson,
Openside : Rennie, Barclay, Fusaro
Blindside : Denton, Brown, Harley
Lock : Gray, Gilchrist, Kellock, Hamilton
Props : Murray, Cross, Welsh, Kalman, Jacobson, Sheils
Hooker : Ford, MacArthur, Lawson

A bit of play in the backs, Should maybe try Jacko at 12 or Leonard at 12. This is the time to mix up selections a wee bit and to be honest I see no harm in mixing up the match day 15 at the moment either. I would rather have the wooden spoon from trying differant things than get it from making mistakes we should ahve learned from 2 seasons ago.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:28 am

Fusaro isn't a number 8 - he's like 5ft 9!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:31 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Fusaro isn't a number 8 - he's like 5ft 9!

That's my bad I did a bit of chopping anc changing and he was left at 8 instead of 7. I also removed Harley by accident. Doh

Gimmie a break man I'm actually busy at work today Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:38 am

I'll let you off - you may have noticed I had my own "special" moment myself on this thread last night!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next