The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh players, wages warning!!!

+14
thebandwagonsociety
Welshmushroom
Kingshu
gowales
Casartelli
Shifty
Morgannwg
Seagultaf
bedfordwelsh
Rory_Gallagher
Taffineastbourne
dogtooth
glamorganalun
Cardiff Dave
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Welsh players, wages warning!!! - Page 2 Empty Welsh players, wages warning!!!

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 18 Feb 2012, 8:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

"Cardiff Blues chairman Peter Thomas has warned that the Welsh regions will no longer pay their top players when they are away on international duty."

Never a dull moment when Welsh rugby is concerned. Thought that RRW had an agreement with the WRU.
Does this mean that the regions/superclubs no longer agree with the agreement they agreed to or is this something different altogether? Headscratch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17073410

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Welsh players, wages warning!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welsh players, wages warning!!!

Post by XR Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:31 pm

H. Robinson will feature more for the blues next season, hopefully more than Czekaj who would be better suited going to the Dragons. Could even turn in to a 'brew' type figure...if he decides to take players on rather than kick it over them. Big lad, scared of contact. not a good mix.

XR

Back to top Go down

Welsh players, wages warning!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welsh players, wages warning!!!

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:31 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:

I'm a Dragons fan so attending a Blues match does not apeal to me. I have infact been at some live Blues games though albeit from a Derby perspective. I do watch a lot of Rugby though.

Rush did have a good game against Ulster. But your missing my point. The standards he set in his early seasons at the Blues are slipping. I remember him playing very well in almost every game he played in for the Blues. Look at Martyn Williams - hes only a shadow of his former self. Williams during the Ulster game barely touched the ball. Basically a sign to me that both players are now past it.

Blair's been out for like 15 months. Maybe a bit harsh calling him average. He was very good for the Blues in the opening 2 seasons. But given there are many Welsh Prospects out there and given they have Halfpenny there as well I really dont see the need for him.

Look my point in all this is that the Regions are looking to emulate the Club game in England. They shouldnt look to do this. Our 4 Regions should operate like mini international sides. Having non international calibre players in your lineup wont drive up standards, it lowers them. Davies at the Scarlets is telling his young guns "if you make the starting 15 for the Scarlets, you have a real chance with Wales" - thats how it should be.

Of course Rush isn't as good as he was, but that's because he is near the end of his career just like Martyn Williams who will not be with Cardiff Blues next season by the look of it.
Halfpenny has only recently reverted to full back and remember this, he will be on Wales duty for a big part of the season which is why having NWQ players is very useful for continuity if nothing else.
Our 4 superclubs/regions should be looking to be financially sustainable AND competitive. If that means employing a few foreigners then that is what they should do.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:33 pm

gcBlues wrote:H. Robinson will feature more for the blues next season, hopefully more than Czekaj who would be better suited going to the Dragons. Could even turn in to a 'brew' type figure...if he decides to take players on rather than kick it over them. Big lad, scared of contact. not a good mix.

Harry's playing for the U20s on Friday evening.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:42 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Lets be honest here, we in Wales believe somehow that these SH players will teach us something about the game. This is a myth.

The SH sides are not more skillful than us. The major difference is that they are generally better prepared, conditioned, play less games (which increases the intensity of matches they do play in) and are looked after better. Their entire model works round the International game because if they do not dominate the World rankings it seriously impacts the income each of their Unions make.

I disagree and would say that our current Welsh side are better prepared and better conditioned than any of the other teams in the world.
Also, the Welsh set up favours the international game rather than the domestic one.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

No doubt there Dave, which is why I think Wales are closing the gap. I wouldnt argue with anything you have said. The only thing which may have a impact within Wales of course is players who are outside of Wales where the emphasis will be on the Club game and acces could become an issue.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 23 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

I'd also say WelshMushroom that while the majority of SH players are no better than our players, players like King, Lyons, Blair, Rush and Lualua (to name a few) have taught out players a huge amount - and in terms of the Scarlets players King/Lyons there either weren't any Welsh players of comparable skill or we couldn't have afforded them - these players then helped players like JD2, S Williams, Warren, Morgan Turnbull, McCusker & Murphy come through and improve their skills

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2