The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr. (spoilers)

+3
azania
DaveVDK
John Bloody Wayne
7 posters

Go down

Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr. (spoilers) Empty Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr. (spoilers)

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:21 pm

Sorry if this has already been covered, but it seems to have been cast in the massive shadow of all things Chisora.

Saturday also saw Kid Galahad win one the WBC's many titles against Jason Booth in a good but one sided contest. Galahad won pretty much the entirity of the fight but for a brief knock down in the first from a well timed Booth left hook. He showed speed, skill and class but not a great deal of power. How do you think he'll progress in a division featuring Frampton and Quigg domestically and all manner of stars internationally?

Also featured was a fairly underwhelming performence from Chris Eubank Jr. against the ok-for-a-second-fight Jason Ball. It got under my skin slightly that Eubank Jr branded himself a warrior in the post fight interview as he'd gone into the fight with a broken right hand. Surely a fighter should be branded a warrior by his fans or peers, but never himself. He only threw on occasion and often threw one punch over and over. Throwing three left uppercuts to the same spot in a row isn't the best habit to get into. His jab looked good but he was panting heavily after six and only won by two points. Am I being too harsh as it's only his second fight? take into account that he's sparred Groves and Cleverly and has had top training in the states.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr. (spoilers) Empty Re: Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr. (spoilers)

Post by DaveVDK Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm

For me it isnt so much as a lack of power with Galahad as it is a lack of a real killer instinct, i remember one occasion where he had Booth clearly rocked with a left hand, yet instead of going forward and finishing him off he proceeded to take a step back and start pawing out the right job, letting Booth fully recover. Agreed that it was an underwhelming performance for Eubank Jr, I do believe the hand had something to do with it as i dont remember seeing him throw the right hand once, hopefully this will be a good learning expirience for him.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr. (spoilers) Empty Re: Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr. (spoilers)

Post by azania Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Sorry if this has already been covered, but it seems to have been cast in the massive shadow of all things Chisora.

Saturday also saw Kid Galahad win one the WBC's many titles against Jason Booth in a good but one sided contest. Galahad won pretty much the entirity of the fight but for a brief knock down in the first from a well timed Booth left hook. He showed speed, skill and class but not a great deal of power. How do you think he'll progress in a division featuring Frampton and Quigg domestically and all manner of stars internationally?

Also featured was a fairly underwhelming performence from Chris Eubank Jr. against the ok-for-a-second-fight Jason Ball. It got under my skin slightly that Eubank Jr branded himself a warrior in the post fight interview as he'd gone into the fight with a broken right hand. Surely a fighter should be branded a warrior by his fans or peers, but never himself. He only threw on occasion and often threw one punch over and over. Throwing three left uppercuts to the same spot in a row isn't the best habit to get into. His jab looked good but he was panting heavily after six and only won by two points. Am I being too harsh as it's only his second fight? take into account that he's sparred Groves and Cleverly and has had top training in the states.

YOu are being too harsh. Normally novice pros fight 4 rounders. And if his hand was injured, he showed major cajonies, The kid will go far,

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

I thought I was being abit harsh, I think his well pronounced, camera friendly and self serving interview style made me want to pick him apart abit.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:56 pm

fair play to Eubank he clearly had a hand injury and to get through 6 rounds with it and win in only his second fight was very good. A bit to early for a bold prediction but he is certainly a talented guy.

Galahad is a talent but lacks power and the killer instinct which was mentioned above. I never watched this until this morning but couldn't believe when he had Booth hurt and let him off.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 19 Feb 2012, 11:03 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I thought I was being abit harsh, I think his well pronounced, camera friendly and self serving interview style made me want to pick him apart abit.

I thik we scrutinise too many words boxers say. Humble he is not and credit to him for that. Fed up with boring guys in the ring.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 19 Feb 2012, 11:15 pm

azania wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:I thought I was being abit harsh, I think his well pronounced, camera friendly and self serving interview style made me want to pick him apart abit.

I thik we scrutinise too many words boxers say. Humble he is not and credit to him for that. Fed up with boring guys out of the ring.

That's the truth isn't it az. You want the sport to titillate you like a cheap tart in a bawdy house.

As was shown earlier by your own confession - you don't actually watch their fights - so you don't know whether their boring or not. If they are brash and arrogant outside however - that's all you're looking for.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 20 Feb 2012, 8:25 am

No oxy. I want the sport to command back pages in the lead up to the fight and after. I want people watching boxing, talking about boxing. Ricky Burns is a nice, classy, humble a 'world' champion and very good fighter. Who knows him?

Not brash or arrogant, but interesting.

btw, I've seen both of them fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:02 pm

azania wrote:

I thik we scrutinise too many words boxers say. Humble he is not and credit to him for that. Fed up with boring guys in the ring.

I like the brash, arrogant types but only when they're actually entertaining rather than just saying unoriginal, masturbatory lines after a fairly average performence.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:20 pm

I loved watching the master class put on by Kid Galahad, if only someone would teach him to throw a punch properly!

He wouldn't even need massive power as he is so accurate and clever with the angles. Think simply getting good punching technique and the angles and accuracy would get him some good knock downs / KO's.

Didn't throw anything that wasn't an arm punch and didn't even look like he put the full weight of the arm into it.

Eubank Jr I felt was lucky, had it scored a draw due to the other guy coming alive for the last three rounds.

Really hoping these guys do well though, nice to see a couple of boxers grow on 'normal TV'

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:23 pm

Galahad impressed me, he's only 21 so he'll hopefully have time to work on his power.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 20 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Galahad impressed me, he's only 21 so he'll hopefully have time to work on his power.

He doesn't plant his feet either he's still a bit bouncy. He's very skinny he needs to bulk up a gradual rise to 130lbs might do the lad some good.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down