The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Eubank Jr would beat Gennady Golovkin according to Eubank Sr

+4
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
BallchinianMuffwig
spencerclarke
8 posters

Go down

Chris Eubank Jr would beat Gennady Golovkin according to Eubank Sr  Empty Chris Eubank Jr would beat Gennady Golovkin according to Eubank Sr

Post by spencerclarke Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:39 pm

Not sure if anyone saw this yesterday, 'English' getting carried away again.

Source: Sky Sports

Chris Eubank Jr would beat middleweight kingpin Gennady Golovkin now, according to his father Chris 'English' Eubank.

Eubank Jr (19-1-KO14) is preparing for his Sky Sports debut on October 24 when he takes on America's Tony Jeter (20-4-1-KO14) on the undercard of Kell Brook v Diego Chaves - but 'English' says were he facing Golovkin (33-0-KO30), his son would still emerge victorious.

The former world middleweight champion told Sky Sports: "Christopher has the beating of him. It's a tough fight but Junior beats him in my view. It's going to be a fabulous chase for us because we are chasing.

Back in 1990 I fought Nigel Benn and I don't know any critic who said I should have taken that fight. It's the same thing with Golovkin - he beats him now.

"I'm not as cagey or cautious as Junior. I've been there and done this. Back in 1990 I fought Nigel Benn and I don't know any critic who said I should have taken that fight. It's the same thing with Golovkin - he beats him now.

"We're working with Matchroom and Sky Sports. All of these possibilities can be realised. Having this platform gives us the conduit to reach those contests. We're very confident. It's a fantastic time to show what we are."

Eubank Jr said of the Kazakh: "He's got weaknesses that I feel I can exploit, so the goal is to work towards that fight. It's a huge fight down the line.

"He's easy to hit and he's slow. Those are the weakness I see and I think I can exploit in my opinion. I don't think he's had a defining fight. I don't think he's fought anyone who's really been there to try and win.

"I'm not going to say anybody can beat me. The question is who the public want to see me fight. People have mentioned George Groves and Martin Murray - these are fights the public want to see.

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my fans so if that's what they want and we can get, that's what we're going to do."

Brighton's Eubank Jr is also open to the possibility of stepping up a division for his world title shot and admits he is hoping to face James DeGale next year.

IBF world super-middleweight champion DeGale reacted angrily to recent suggestions he had come off second best in a sparring session with Eubank Jr - and the Brighton man is no less enthusiastic about the prospect of resolving their differences in the ring.

Eubank Jr added: "That's a massive fight and a massive opportunity for me to show the fans what I'm made of. I'm a middleweight and I plan to achieve world championship status at that division.

"I want to unify the division but, if there's an opportunity to step up to fight some of these top-named fighters and that's what the public want and it's viable for me to do so, I will definitely step up to the challenge.

"Boxing is boxing and you don't know what can happen. You can get opportunities at any time and you have to make the decision there and then. I walk around at 12st but don't struggle making the middleweight limit, so I can fluctuate between the two."

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Chris Eubank Jr would beat Gennady Golovkin according to Eubank Sr  Empty Re: Chris Eubank Jr would beat Gennady Golovkin according to Eubank Sr

Post by Guest Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:47 pm

To be fair to "English", he's right when he said that the vast majority of people thought Benn would smash him to bits. However, it's yet to be seen whether or not Jr possesses the boxing ability and sheer toughness of his old man when faced with a wrecking machine of a fighter like Benn.

GGG isn't an animal like Benn but he's got the same kind up unrelenting pressure...it's just that unlike Benn GGG doesn't waste many shots and risk blowing himself out. Don't see anything in Jr's make-up to suggest he could hang with Golovkin but then who would have thought Murray would last as long as he did?

Back to top Go down

Chris Eubank Jr would beat Gennady Golovkin according to Eubank Sr  Empty Re: Chris Eubank Jr would beat Gennady Golovkin according to Eubank Sr

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 16 Oct 2015, 10:24 pm

Christ.

Nothing to even suggest he's fringe world class yet. I actually hope the GGG fight gets made just to see him eat an enormous slice of humble pie

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 17 Oct 2015, 8:04 am

Ggg will destroy him easily

I don't think golovkin has shown us what he is truly capable of yet

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 17 Oct 2015, 9:35 am

BallchinianMuffwig wrote:Christ.

Nothing to even suggest he's fringe world class yet. I actually hope the GGG fight gets made just to see him eat an enormous slice of humble pie

They might have to liquidise the humble pie before he can consume it.

Think everyone's being a bit harsh. All junior needs to do is work on sitting on the stool correctly between rounds and he'd have GGG in his pocket.

Loveable eccentric old buffoon that he is, English is no fool in terms of knowing how to make sure junior keeps getting talked about. He did it for himself and he's doing it for his son who doesn't have the charisma to do it for himself.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 17 Oct 2015, 10:27 am

No harm in some belief from these guys. I much prefer ambitious fighters to those that roll over to Wlad and GGG type fighters in title fights. I think Junior should mould himself on Winky Weight and make himself hard to beat. I think he's too wild to hurt anybody decent

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 17 Oct 2015, 10:33 am

I don't think he would beat GGG, but he is in the wrong sport if he doesn't believe in himself.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:31 am

Eubank Jr needs a huge step up in class before there is any talk about going anywhere near a fighter like Golovkin, mind if he has his dads chin and keeps improving he could go far.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:39 am

Good point Nico.
He is probably just looking to promote himself. If he does turn out to be as good as his dad, he will do good in the long run.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Oct 2015, 2:53 pm

I see Eubanks jnr beating GGG.

Cast your minds back to GGG v Stevens. Stevens showed what a fighter with quick hands can do to Golovkin. GGG has not faced a quick hard hitter like Eubanks jnr and I think GGG is painfully slow.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 18 Oct 2015, 3:15 pm

One2 doubt it mate. But I would like to see Eubank get the fight regardless.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 4:47 pm

Golovkin let stevenson do that he wanted to punish him

The golovkin that showed up yesterday would pummel jr

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun 18 Oct 2015, 9:40 pm

How one2? Eubanks shown nothing to live up to his dad's words so far. Saunders had faster hands than he did, and while he's not feather fisted, he's not the puncher he's portrayed to be either. Doesn't seem to have a plan B either, just loads up repeatedly with wild shots looking for a stoppage.

Can't remember who said it but it was spot on, if Saunders had more of an engine it would have been a walkover.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 18 Oct 2015, 9:43 pm

Matchroom have eubank jr lined up for 2 fights before the end of the year. Really has to start fighting top 20 ranked boxers after that otherwise he will be lacking the relevant experience when he does make a big step up. Just as he did against billy joe.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun 18 Oct 2015, 9:53 pm

Spike O Sullivan is signed and sealed for December - winnable for either man.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down