The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Lawrie

+8
dynamark
George1507
dr_peeps
JAS
kwinigolfer
NedB-H
navyblueshorts
Caito
12 posters

Go down

Paul Lawrie Empty Paul Lawrie

Post by Caito Tue 21 Feb 2012, 8:42 pm

Evening all,

A couple of articles on everyone's favourite Open winner Paul Lawrie that might be of interest. He comes across well and his support of junior golf is very much to his credit.

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/golf/golf_paul_lawrie_hands_girls_championship_a_lift_1_2128703

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/golf/interview_paul_lawrie_golfer_1_2125851

Caito

Caito

Back to top Go down

Paul Lawrie Empty Re: Paul Lawrie

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Feb 2012, 9:43 pm

Always quite liked Lawrie. Good swing. Never understood the bile directed his way. Good to see him playing well at the moment.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:37 pm

Seems to be the man in the eye at the moment - the Guardian also has an article on him:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/21/paul-lawrie-criticism-golf-match-play?newsfeed=true

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:31 am

Great articles. Thanks.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:32 pm

Very similar in vein to a recent thread (or was that on the "other site"?). But yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying watching him in this form. It was mused on the other thread about how much of a factor Hunter's (his late coach) death was a factor in his renaissance. I can categorically say I've never subscribed to the view that Lawrie was a "poor" major winner. Given his talent I think he should actually have won more.

I can remember a Carnoustie member in the Caledonia Club at the Tassie last year stating how much Lawrie was revered in the area for what he put back into the game at grass roots level. Nice work and even nicer if a few more of his peers opt to follow his example!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm

When you consider this man was a 4 Handicap that turned pro at that level you have to take your hat of to the man !!, but much like the old 606 and a few clowns on here they're bitterness can't bring them to congractulate or even accept the man & after a while we no know who these pathetic little A holes are. Well done Lawrie and F U to the bitter few, haha !!

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:11 am

He's obviously a very good player, and seems like a really nice guy too, so the very best of luck to him. I hope he wins loads.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

Never met the man but a taxi driver in Aberdeen told me he was a right misery so its obvioulsy correct.
Probably a smashing fella but comes across a bit dour

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

I actually think Lawrie is one of the few people in pro sport i would love to meet. Seems down to earth and not caught up in himself and seems to do a lot for others can't think of a better golfing role model to have

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

If he wore bright green and orange outfits would anyone claim he was a poor major winner?

Anyway, great articles and thanks for posting the link.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 23 Feb 2012, 9:19 pm

Another good win today, shame the Jocks have to face each other in round 3, they're both playing well, Laird had 8 birdies today apparently.

I take it that will virtually cement a top 50 position for Lawrie for the Masters now. At 45 in the rankings with only 3 lower ranked players still in (and still out on the course & not guaranteed a round 3 tee-time anyway - i.e Ernie, Stanley & MAJ)

Incidentally, what is the ranking points allocated per round, anybody know?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:00 pm

Lawrie does a lot for grassroots golf in the NE of Scotland, helped a lot of local junior golfing talent develop. He's a very good player but would probably admit himself that he could have been a lot less critical of himself at times and remained more positive about his game, he should certainly have won a lot more tournaments over the years.
I notice he gets virtually no respect from the US golf 'experts', after his first round victory yesterday the interviewer insisted on calling him Lowry, pretty poor considering he's an Open champion. I think he's got a very strong chance of making the Ryder Cup team this year and I predict he might bruise a few US egos when he does.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by dr_peeps Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:58 pm

Looking forward to seeing Lawrie & Laird go head to head tonight, think it will be a close match.

dr_peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:07 pm

After Lawrie's win last season I heard Bernard Gallagher on the radio saying that Lawrie had taken on too much too soon with his foundation and support of the game ( and youth sport in general) and that this had impacted his playing career. Who can say for sure? But it does indicate the level of his committment.

Really enjoying seeing him and Laird doing well, although I hope Lawrie does the business tonight, and then kicks on for a Ryder cup place.

One criticism of Lawrie though, he does insist (in common with most pros) on saying, " I played good". Makes me grind my teeth every time I hear it!

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:01 am

Well played Laird, never really gave Lawrie a sniff. Still another good result for the big aberdonian, almost in to the Masters I would have thought.

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 25 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

Caito,
It wouldn't be totally unfair to suggest that Lawrie has already achieved more in his 40's than Gallacher ever achieved in his.
Wonder if Bernie took "on too much too soon"?
Contrarian view might be that an outside interest perhaps helps keep Lawrie rather well grounded.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:52 pm

Completely agree Kwini, a virtuous circle I suspect, being well grounded leads to outside interests which in turn leads to being well grounded.

In fairness to Gallagher though I think he was speaking in support of Lawrie and not criticising, basically that Lawrie's talent was generally underestimated and that his contribution to grass roots sport was not fully appreciated.

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 13 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

Pulled out of his defence of Andalucian Masters this week. Currently 45th in world should he be ok for masters when it specifies invites to the top 50 at the end of this weekend?

Last edited by Sand on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Poor English...)

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down