The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes.

+19
navyblueshorts
Doon the Water
John Cregan
GunsGerms
Corporalhumblebucket
EdWoodjr
hend085
Shotrock
JAS
McLaren
super_realist
golfermartin
TRUSSMAN66
Tinmar
kwinigolfer
Diggers
barragan
pedro
SmithersJones
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who's brought most shame to the title 'Major Champion'?

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_lcap12%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_lcap31%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 8 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_lcap0%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_lcap4%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_lcap4%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_lcap49%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 26

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Empty Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes.

Post by SmithersJones Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 am

Thinking about Westwood and Lawrie, up until the latter's recent revival one could have argued that they were polar opposites, with Lawrie being a candidate for the title of this thread. How about some others?

Last edited by SmithersJones on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Empty Re: Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes.

Post by pedro Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 am

Where's Shaun Micheel?
Curtis did qualify for two RC’s and has had some nice victories. Beem had a few PGAT victories that year. Hamilton had a nice career in Asia with heaps of victories. Lawrie also had some nice victories in Europe.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. Empty Re: Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes.

Post by SmithersJones Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:35 am

Sorry, I meant to add that I'm bound to have forgotten some real howlers, so I'll add them if I agree. Micheel coming up
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:36 am

Or not. Mods?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:40 am

done

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:44 am

Ta. I'm sure there'll be others I've forgotten.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 am

If you look at Ben Curtis whole career has it been any worse than Paul Lawries ?
He has 4 PGA wins, had a second in another major as well. Id guess year on year he has earned more cash and been ranked higher than Lawrie who spent a lot of time in the doldrums.
Dont get me wrong, I like Lawrie and he has played great this year but that has not always been the case.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Are you suggesting Andy North is the worst player to have won two majors?

A bit mean to include Paul Lawrie in this group . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:08 pm

I did say in my OP that Lawrie would have been a candidate until recently, but threw his name in the mix anyway. Probably fair to say he and Curtis are similar standing, but both were shock winners at the time. And yes, I put North in because a poll of worst player ever to win 2 majors would be a little short of any other direction!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Definitely Shaun Micheel of those listed above. There would also be serious contenders from earlier times like Charles Coody & Orville Moody.

Ben Curtis is the most surprising Major winner in my memory, just ahead of Micheel. He is the one and only Major winner I had never heard of on the first day of the event. On the basis of what he has done since, he couldn't possibly be the worst ever Major winner.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 pm

No Ian Baker-Finch ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Fred Herd - highest ever winning 4 round total for a major. In the 1898 US Open. The first time it was played over 4 rounds.
His score was 328

Last edited by golfermartin on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the score)

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:51 am

No IBF or Cambo, since they were good before they won then lost it.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:30 am

Padraig Harrington Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Padraig is the worst player by a mile to win three majors.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:54 pm

McLaren wrote:Padraig is the worst player by a mile to win three majors.

Payne Stewart? Larry Nelson?

Who do you think is the worst player ever to win 9 Majors? Ben Hogan or Gary Player?

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Looks like of the ones listed, Micheel is the poorest in terms of total career performance of tournament wins and Major placings.

Not really fair to add an element of RC appearances into the equation as ROW players don't get that option.

Can't believe Lawrie is even on the list.

I'd also presume that if Harrington wins a 4th (not inconceivable) he would no doubt be the worst player ever to win 4. Just like Woods is no doubt the worst ever to have won 14. Sometimes it's just easier to say you don't like somebody!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Even Micheel is a Major runner-up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:33 pm

JAS - Exactly. Don't get all the Paddy bashing here -- Total world class player.

This poll - Micheel all the way.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:45 am

Steve jones worth an honourable mention

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:27 pm

Steve Jones was a top player compared to some of the others, beset by injuries.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Let's hear it for Scott Simpson. A true ATG and winner of the 1987 US Open.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Tinmar wrote:
McLaren wrote:Padraig is the worst player by a mile to win three majors.

Payne Stewart? Larry Nelson?

Who do you think is the worst player ever to win 9 Majors? Ben Hogan or Gary Player?

Laugh Laugh Well put. Don't want to go down the route of the endless debates on the tennis board - who is "worst", Federer or Nadal.... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:25 pm

JAS wrote:Looks like of the ones listed, Micheel is the poorest in terms of total career performance of tournament wins and Major placings.

Not really fair to add an element of RC appearances into the equation as ROW players don't get that option.

Can't believe Lawrie is even on the list.

I'd also presume that if Harrington wins a 4th (not inconceivable) he would no doubt be the worst player ever to win 4. Just like Woods is no doubt the worst ever to have won 14. Sometimes it's just easier to say you don't like somebody!!

Hi JAS, I wholeheartly agree with you.

Harrington performed very well in all four majors this year:

Masters: 8th
British Open: 39th
US Open: 4th
US PGA: 18th

He made all four cuts and looked like a challenger in at least two of them and did better than Woods. If he improves on current form there is a very good chance he will get a forth major and cement his position as one of the greatest European golfers of all time.

To the same posters JAS was addressing - Never let facts get in the way of your prejudices.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:38 pm

Barragan, could you please replace Lawrie (fed up of explaining why he's on there, quite right that he shouldn't be) with Scott Simpson, for want of anyone else? Ta.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:39 pm

GunsGerms, I think you've misunderstood the point JAS was making.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Tinmar wrote:GunsGerms, I think you've misunderstood the point JAS was making.

No I agree with him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 pm

After yesterday, Tiger Woods is definitely the worst player ever to have won 14 majors…

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:53 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

No I agree with him.

Fair enough. It just seemed as though you were accusing him of being the one with the prejudices.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Tinmar wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

No I agree with him.

Fair enough. It just seemed as though you were accusing him of being the one with the prejudices.

No was addressing the same posters that he was addressing.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Why would Scott Simpson be a candidate for this list? Won several PGA Tour events and lost a US Open in a play-off.

My vote would be Micheel for overall career (tho health problems are undoubtedly partly to blame), and Curtis for worst player at the time of his win (tho perhaps that would be close with Orville Moody) - and Curtis undoubtedly as lucky as anyone with his win, tho he's had a decent-ish career since.

Guns,
I read your comments the same way Tinmar did . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Michael Campbell anyone??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:25 pm

SmithersJones wrote:No IBF or Cambo, since they were good before they won then lost it.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:26 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Why would Scott Simpson be a candidate for this list? Won several PGA Tour events and lost a US Open in a play-off.

My vote would be Micheel for overall career (tho health problems are undoubtedly partly to blame), and Curtis for worst player at the time of his win (tho perhaps that would be close with Orville Moody) - and Curtis undoubtedly as lucky as anyone with his win, tho he's had a decent-ish career since.

Guns,
I read your comments the same way Tinmar did . . . . . . .

Thanks kwinigolfer I've already explained my comments. Do you need me to explain again?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:32 pm

NO! But it still reads as if you're implying JAS might be prejudiced - thought you might have made it less ambiguous regardless of yr explanation . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:40 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:NO! But it still reads as if you're implying JAS might be prejudiced - thought you might have made it less ambiguous regardless of yr explanation . . . .

I have amended it for your benefit as it seems you cant read between the lines. We both made more or less the same point so its unlikely I would imply Jas was predjudiced.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:39 am

Guys...no offence taken, I know I'm not prejudiced and I've a fairly thick skin anyway. The original comment was tongue in cheek.

Now...back to basking in the glory of an epic RC win and also (probably unnoticed to many) Wiltshire being crowned county champions again (to draw a comparison - a bit like Swindon Town winning the Premiership!!)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:37 am

Alf Perry. Not on list.
Really nice guy, He came, he won the Open at Muirfield on the Friday [36 holes] caught the overnight train and was back in his shop serving his members at Leatherhead on Saturday morning.

Jas..Great win for Wilts AGAIN.
Is Kev Phillips still captain?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 am

This might seem a bit controversial but if you look at it on terms of other tournament wins Gmac hasnt done a lot else. No other PGA wins bar his major, his record is no better than a lot of players on the list thus far.
Of course his career is far from over but that doesnt mean he is destined to win again though you'd think it was most likely.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am

Digs he came very close to another Californian US Open win this year. Also your last statement should effectively bar him from the list anyway. Put it this way after Curtis, Hamilton or Micheels win, would you have said that about them??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 am

He did come close to another win Jas but his overall PGA record is far from being stellar. As for the last statement it shoud bar him but it didnt bar Lawrie. Anyway just idle speculation really.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 am

No not any more Doon, think its Dave Bauer from Marlborough this year.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:41 am

True Digs but in my humble opinion Lawrie should be nowhere near that list. Records aside, if a player has a nickname ( coined by peers) related to how good he is at a certain aspect of the game that says a lot. With Gmac (not as cool a nickname as chippy) he also has a certain quality that he's recognised for I.e. clutch putting and not buckling under pressure

Poor/"lucky" Major winners don't have that. Typically they were great for one week only.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:47 am

FFS. I've asked for his name to be removed already, but just to remind you of why it's there;

Thinking about Westwood and Lawrie, up until the latter's recent revival one could have argued that they were polar opposites, with Lawrie being a candidate for the title of this thread
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 am

Is he the worst to win a Major or the worst Canadian left-hander to win one?

Weir's got a pretty good record, not least including a WGC win as well as his Masters.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:01 pm

SmithersJones wrote:FFS. I've asked for his name to be removed already, but just to remind you of why it's there;

Thinking about Westwood and Lawrie, up until the latter's recent revival one could have argued that they were polar opposites, with Lawrie being a candidate for the title of this thread

Smithers...do you think Lawrie should really be on this list ? Run

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:03 pm

The worst for me. Found his game too rigid and ugly. Yes he has a good record, but being a leftie myself I just didn't like his game.

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:14 pm

I still wouldn't have had Lawrie on the list BEFORE his recent revival. I don't think when in your career you win one really should have much bearing on whether your considered a best or worst...contrast these 2 for example
Darren Clarke - Open Champion at 42 after a long fairly decent career or Keegan Bradley, a PGA (tinpot major) in his rookie season. Who's the best and who's worst out of them 2?? If you factor in their career achievements before their Major then there's only one answer. Ask the same question in 10 years time though.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 pm

I wouldnt value Clarkes Open win over Bradleys PGA in a million years in terms of what was harder to win that week.
The weather gave Clarke a big advantage IMO, growing up in horrendous weather and playing links, in reality that should have played right into his hands and it did. He certainly hasnt looked like contending in any other big field event for some time before or since.
Bradley took on the best in the world on a level playing field and he won.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next