The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes.

+19
navyblueshorts
Doon the Water
John Cregan
GunsGerms
Corporalhumblebucket
EdWoodjr
hend085
Shotrock
JAS
McLaren
super_realist
golfermartin
TRUSSMAN66
Tinmar
kwinigolfer
Diggers
barragan
pedro
SmithersJones
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Who's brought most shame to the title 'Major Champion'?

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_lcap31%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 8 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_lcap49%Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 26

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Empty Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes.

Post by SmithersJones Fri 28 Sep 2012, 10:28 am

First topic message reminder :

Thinking about Westwood and Lawrie, up until the latter's recent revival one could have argued that they were polar opposites, with Lawrie being a candidate for the title of this thread. How about some others?

Last edited by SmithersJones on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Empty Re: Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes.

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 Oct 2012, 9:46 pm

Sooner or, more probably, later Darren Clarke will walk into the World Golf HOF - and most deservedly so.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes. - Page 3 Empty Re: Worst player ever to have won a major? In the modern era. That I've heard of. That isn't Paul Lawrie. And isn't dead. And never wore red shoes.

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 02 Oct 2012, 9:50 pm

GunsGerms wrote:The history books will remember him as a journey man. Not particularly bothered what you think. I've heard a lot worse said on the golf boards to be honest.
Ah, bless. Maybe you have 'heard' worse here but your remark is still absurd.
Re. your prejudices. Your comments suggest you simply don't like Westwood despite the evidence to suggest that he's an exceptional player.
Re. rarefied atmosphere. Well, obviously no-one (I assume) has competed at the sort of level that Westwood is used to. I have a problem with people of the sort of ilk who use words like 'choke' etc (I know you didn't but you're close) when they can't contemplate being in the same situation.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 02 Oct 2012, 9:58 pm

JAS wrote:What's with the Clarke bashing on this thread too. Fair to say his form since he won the Open has been rank rotten but it doesn't make him anywhere near being considered a candidate for "Worst player ever to win a Major"
4 top 10s in Majors (spread over a long period and over 3 different Majors)
2 WGCs
22 Professional wins
5 Ryder Cup appearances with a positive (58%) win record

Quite frankly I think you'd be hard pushed to find another single Major winner with a better record. Besides all of that he came back to be a Major winner after having to battle through some incredible off course lows. With regard to his win at RSG, all the contenders had much the same to deal with on Sunday, he may have carried some luck but over a 20 year career you'd expect the dice to roll in your favour once in a while. The fact is he was able to adapt to the conditions better than anyone else.

Thanks JAS. A much more comprehensive dismissal of a ridiculous suggestion than I could be bothered with. Pretty sure I really have seen him in red shoes though!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 02 Oct 2012, 10:00 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:The history books will remember him as a journey man. Not particularly bothered what you think. I've heard a lot worse said on the golf boards to be honest.
Ah, bless. Maybe you have 'heard' worse here but your remark is still absurd.
Re. your prejudices. Your comments suggest you simply don't like Westwood despite the evidence to suggest that he's an exceptional player.
Re. rarefied atmosphere. Well, obviously no-one (I assume) has competed at the sort of level that Westwood is used to. I have a problem with people of the sort of ilk who use words like 'choke' etc (I know you didn't but you're close) when they can't contemplate being in the same situation.

Keep your shorts on. Exceptional is a word I'd reserve for major winners. Absurd to you because you are probably a fan and not impartial. I'd rather be an average golfer and overachieve than a talented golfer and underachieve.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 02 Oct 2012, 10:01 pm

Westwood is not a journeyman, he got to world no. 1 for god's sake! And has won tens of times over the years. He doesn't belong in this discussion either having not won a major, even hypothetically!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 02 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Keep your shorts on. Exceptional is a word I'd reserve for major winners. Absurd to you because you are probably a fan and not impartial. I'd rather be an average golfer and overachieve than a talented golfer and underachieve.
Fair points OK.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 03 Oct 2012, 5:02 pm

incontinentia wrote:Mungo Park, Open champion in the 1800's. I guess those guys would be the equivalent of a 5 handicapper today?

As a boy I caddied for Mungo's daughter Doris.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Wed 03 Oct 2012, 5:03 pm

HI, just with regards to DC. He did have some form going into the OC at RSG with a win on Euro Tour 2 months before, not a big tournament but still a win.

His early career was very good, beating Tiger in the 2000 WGC matchplay final just one highlight and we all know how good Tiger was in 2000!

His Open win was very well deserved and if thats the last of his illustrious career it certainly was not the fluke of a 'journey man'

and as for LW being classed as a 'journey man'....behave!

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 03 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

Mungo's brother Hyde was a decent player too.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Oct 2012, 5:27 pm

Was his middle brother called Central?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 03 Oct 2012, 6:30 pm

Surely his brother was called Jerry ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Oct 2012, 7:50 pm

Or Jarry?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:11 am

Now that's just silly.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:31 am

Doon the Water wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Mungo Park, Open champion in the 1800's. I guess those guys would be the equivalent of a 5 handicapper today?

As a boy I caddied for Mungo's daughter Doris.
That's interesting Doon, btw I just picked his name at random from a time when the Majors were probably at their least competitive(no disrespect). His brother and nephew won the Open also I believe.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3