The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best player never to win a Major (yet)

+8
JDandfries
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Maverick
neutral07
MustPuttBetter
Doc
McLaren
Davie
12 posters

Go down

Who is the best golfer never to win a Major title

Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_lcap39%Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 11 ]
Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_lcap29%Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 8 ]
Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_lcap0%Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_lcap21%Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 6 ]
Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_lcap4%Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_lcap0%Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_lcap7%Best player never to win a Major (yet) Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 28

Best player never to win a Major (yet) Empty Best player never to win a Major (yet)

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:44 am

OK so I thought about this over the weekend and was even going to post it before the finale at Augusta - and now I'm glad I didn't as it would need some editing this morning. Don't think I would have included Schwarzel in the article yesterday though.

This unwanted tag used to be used a lot for Big Phil but as we know, once he finally won his first he went on to win more (as often happens). So the contenders these days must be from the following

Monty - not likely to do it now I suspect
Sergio - Still would be the choice of many I think
Rory - wouldn't have been in the list yesterday as he looked (almost) nailed on to be a Major winner this morning
Westwood - ex OGWR no. 1 and still number 2 - been close a couple of times but no cigar
Adam Scott - another who almost broke his duck yesterday
Luke - don't think it will be long before he would be removed from this list

I'm planning on turning this article into a poll - any obvious ones I've missed (present or "near-past")?

Last edited by Davie on Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Davie

Back to top Go down

Best player never to win a Major (yet) Empty Re: Best player never to win a Major (yet)

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:56 am

I would not include McIlroy, Scott or Luke on that list. Also not sure about westwood.

What about adding these Guys

Doug Sanders
Stuart Appleby
Stricker
Kenny Perry
Moe Norman
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Best player never to win a Major (yet) Empty Re: Best player never to win a Major (yet)

Post by Doc Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:58 am

Davie

From your list I can really only see Luke achieving a major now. Lee's been there a few times and failed, Monty carried this tag with him and it finally killed him off, and I expect young Rory will not recover from yesterday. Rory can win but will need to come from behind, as he obviously cannot handle the pressure from the front. Hes an amazing talent, but talent alone doesn't win majors. We saw him blow up in last years Open after blitzing the field, I hope I'm wrong but .....

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:59 am

You've covered most Davie, personally i would plump for Monty

I think Paul Casey and Tim Clark might also be worth a shout?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:01 am

Well admittedly I was concentrating on more recent players Mac, but I take your point.

Westwood as an ex no1 has surely got to be there - Luke up to no3 this week also should be there. People consistently talk about young Rory as being the best ball striker in the world so deserves a place. Adam Scott was a marginal choice.

Of your list I'd say Stricker is perhaps the only one I'd say was worthy of inclusion - maybe Kenny Perry too

Doc - fair point, but I plan on the poll being "best player never to win" rather than who will be next to be removed from the list. You may be right about Westwood (though I hope you're wrong) but he deserves his place on the list as much as Monty

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:14 am

Westwood is nailed on for the list!
As is Adam Scott, more so than Rory or Luke in my opinion
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by neutral07 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:33 am

Davie wrote:OK so I thought about this over the weekend and was even going to post it before the finale at Augusta - and now I'm glad I didn't as it would need some editing this morning. Don't think I would have included Schwarzel in the article yesterday though.

This unwanted tag used to be used a lot for Big Phil but as we know, once he finally won his first he went on to win more (as often happens). So the contenders these days must be from the following

Monty - not likely to do it now I suspect
Sergio - Still would be the choice of many I think
Rory - wouldn't have been in the list yesterday as he looked (almost) nailed on to be a Major winner this morning
Westwood - ex OGWR no. 1 and still number 2 - been close a couple of times but no cigar
Adam Scott - another who almost broke his duck yesterday
Luke - don't think it will be long before he would be removed from this list

I'm planning on turning this article into a poll - any obvious ones I've missed (present or "near-past")?

For me Sergio headlines this list for me, he had everything when he brokes through onto the seen [Driving, Iron-play, chipping, bunker-play, putting, mental strength]. The last 2 attributes seems to have deserted him, i believe a windy open championship course is were him & Westwood are likely to break their Major duck if they are to.

neutral07

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:36 am

I would not have donald or scott on the list as they have the game to take one this year or next. Sergio has had his troubles and may not bag one but time is on his side and hopefully he will get 1. I'd have Stricker on the list so consistent for so long the US Open and PGA are his likely major victories due to his accuracy and wedge play much like Luke.

Personally I don't see Rory ever winning a major this I feel was his best and only chance and he blew it badly I don't think he's consistent enough to win 20regular tour events let alone a major just how I see it

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:52 am

To right off young Rory so soon is diabolical.
The boy is only 21; it was repeated so many times yesterday. The boy has only ever won 2 golf events in his pro life, so to lead after 3 days at a Major was a big leap up for him. He needs to take a step back, win some events on the tour & then comeback & win. People at the moment are comparing him with Tiger at that age. Tiger was a phenom at that age, so give the boy a chance. There will be only one Tiger, but give Rory time to recover & I'm sure he will will & win big.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:03 am

Don't think it is diabolical to write hime off, I have never thought he had teh game to win one, certainly not the Masters - his putting is dreadful.

In his interview he suggetsed he might get over it in a couple of days, I think a couple of years is more likely, that is one of the biggest chokes I have ever seen!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:17 am

Setup I'm a big Rory fan, but when have you ever seen him put 4 good rounds together. He hasn't and thats why he's only won 2 events in his career, and remember he's been around a while now. yes hes a massive talent, and maybe the most talented player anywhere, but without putting in 4-rounds it can't be done. He's always liable to throw in a 75 and his putting can kill him. The first 3-days in Augusta were brilliant as he stuck to his game plan and waited for a chance. Day 3 saw him toiling away but patience won as he picked up birdies on the back 9 to leave him in front. If he had have stuck with the same plan yesterday he could have won, because once the opposition saw him slip they were charging through the open door. He completley capitulated because he didn't play sensible and tried to thrash it, and his putting was dire. The pressure was too much, just like last years Open. The only way I see him picking up a major, is by coming from behind with a great final round which hes capable of doing. No pressure from this position and you are in a zone of your own and not expected to win.

I hope I'm wrong but his head must be in bits today and I'm surprised he didn't completley break down last night because he almost did when he lashed his drive into Rays Creek. Yes hes only 22 but hes been around a while now and he did seem a more mature player for the first 3-days, and I can only hope he can take this as a positive and get better, but ....

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:40 am

OK I've added the poll at the top of this thread.

Remember this is a vote for who you think is the best play not to have won a major YET - not people who you think will never win one

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:47 am

JDandfries wrote:Don't think it is diabolical to write hime off, I have never thought he had teh game to win one, certainly not the Masters - his putting is dreadful.

In his interview he suggetsed he might get over it in a couple of days, I think a couple of years is more likely, that is one of the biggest chokes I have ever seen!

The pressure got to him, it's understandable, as i said on The Masters thread, his manager said from the start that people have to remember he is just a 21 year old kid. He doesn't have the mental toughness that Woods has.

He'll come back from it, he's young and determined. With the right attitude he'll come back and show people he's still got the fight. The last thing he needs is constant put downs and people writing him off.

He needs to work on his putting though, he was lucky to go into the final day in the lead, although i do wonder whether he would've stood a better chance if he had been in Donalds position.

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:59 am

The best player never to win a major was clearly Monty.
Having won the European Tour for seven years in a row outweighs anything Westwood has done since. You must remember Monty was No2 in the world for quite sometime and Lee managed to get to No1 for a week or two. Not quite the same.

Compare their records:
Monty 31 ET wins & 9 other wins
Lee 20 ET wins, 2 PGA wins, & 11 others.

Longevity is what makes greatness unless your name is Bobby Jones. Whistle

Currently still playing; it would be a toss up between Sergio & Lee.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:07 pm

How can people write off McIlroy now? 10 months ago Dustin Johnson did the exact same thing as him at Pebble Beach. 8 months ago the same Dustin Johnson was within touching distance of winning the PGA. These are top class golfers, neither may end up winning a major but they'll both compete again.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

Everyone keeps pointing to the fact that Rory is only 21 but surely that should be his biggest asset as he does not bear the scars of missed putts. In Friday's 3 ball with Day and Fowler it was just so great to see three young players with absolutely no fear. They stepped over every shot and just hit pins and over every putt without any thought but holing it, despite the treacherous nature of the Augusta pins and greens. This is the way that a young golfer is supposed to play and was exactly how Tiger played when he won his 1st major at 21 in '97.

The fact that Rory has these putting demons at 21 is really worrying. Garcia never had them and just look at him now at only 31 years old - scared of the putter and possibly finished as a winner!

As for the question above, you can really only put Monty in the Poll because all of the other players are still competing and can win a major thus negating your question. Monty has retired so will never win a major and thus can be the only answer - it is not a question of opinion but more factual...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:14 pm

Where is moe norman on the list?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

Westwood for me.
So many years he was the best player by a mile. If anyone was so deserving of one, it was him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

sharrison01 wrote:As for the question above, you can really only put Monty in the Poll because all of the other players are still competing and can win a major thus negating your question. Monty has retired so will never win a major and thus can be the only answer - it is not a question of opinion but more factual...

The question/poll specifically say who has not won a major yet for the very reason you describe

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

Davie wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:As for the question above, you can really only put Monty in the Poll because all of the other players are still competing and can win a major thus negating your question. Monty has retired so will never win a major and thus can be the only answer - it is not a question of opinion but more factual...

The question/poll specifically say who has not won a major yet for the very reason you describe

Sorry, just seen the "yet." Monty should now not be included because he cannot win one.

Westwood has played great over the past couple of years but 10 years ago you would not have necessarily expected him to win a major which is why he was always just a solid tour pro. It's great that he made changes and took a step up but before his purple patch he was never really competing for majors and losing them so hasn't been expected to win one for that long.

Garcia's the stand out for me now. He was touted as the next world number 1 as a teenager and if things had turned out differently in the US Open in '02 then he probably would have had a cabinet full of majors and could have genuinely stood up to Tiger in terms of domination. The Open and PGA with Harrington finished him off but by then he was looking very vulnerable on the greens anyway. Even worse is that he is still relatively young but maybe he could do similar to Westwood in finding a way back to the top?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:37 pm

Meant PGA in '99 not US Open in '02 for Garcia?!? He was only 21 then and stood toe to toe with a very dominant Tiger Woods...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

If people think Monty is no longer competing, then surely the same applies for Perry. At least Monty is still officially on the main tour, not a seniors one.

Though tbh I don't know why Perry's there anyway. Two near misses in majors, fifteen years apart, and nothing else ever. I'd say Bjorn should be there over him, better record in Majors and still an outside chance of winning one.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:55 pm

Have you been drinking Davie? How an earth did Perry get on the list?

Garcia for me.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:58 pm

Sharrison - "biggest asset as he does not bear the scars of missed putts"

He does now! Rolling Eyes
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:08 pm

goldwolf wrote:Have you been drinking Davie? How an earth did Perry get on the list?

Garcia for me.

Someone asked me to add him to the list. He wasn't in my original post

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:10 pm

goldie

I suggested Perry could be added, to be fair he surely has a better record than Westwood outside the majors?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

I don't think its too soon at all to write off Rory and its not diabolical its my opinion you don't have to like it or agree with it!

I've said on here and the old site for months now he cannot put 4 rounds together at all even his 2 victories were done with 1 outstanding round and nothing more than that when he had no pressure on.

The difference with DJ's 2 major issues last year, he never tried to say I'll get over it in a couple of days after the US he went away and took stock, at the PGA the 2nd time he had a chance at a big one he never collapsed in fact he played the best golf but his undoing was not knowing a local rule that he should have known so he didn't blow that one thru a collapse but through ignorance and he went on to win 3weeks later at Cog Hill because of his strength of character and the attitude and belief he has. I see none of that in Rory and never have seen it.

As for the comparisons with Tiger those come from the pro ranks comparing him and Woods at same ages and they just transcended onto forum boards and such like but the realistic thing is there can be no comparison Woods had a prestigious amateur career and Rory has not.

Woods had a better win percentage by 21 than Rory and Rory has been a pro longer than Woods had at the same age. Woods had strength of character and an all round game and had the foresight (or those around him did) to get a coach like Harmon on board to iron out his flaws MciLroys management has not instead they seemingly encourage the purchases of fast cars on whims and talk of his natural talent being purely enough but its not or he'd do better he even himself gave an interview stating he didn't think only 2wins in 100pro starts was satisfactory for a top player let alone being a good record!

I'd love to be proved wrong but with the state of his short game at 21 I think his fall from the top will be quicker than Sergio's after all sergios demons came later than 21years old.

As for best player to not win a major yet! Monty obviously has that tag for sheer times he got close and lost out but of the current crop playing I'd say Stricker because he has been so consistent for so long. Luke I wouldn't put in that bracket because I don't think until this year he had the complete package his driving stats were always awful for an average length player. Thankfully he is now this year after much work in the off season more accurate meaning more putts for birdie instead of par and I think he has the game to win a US Open this year

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:20 pm

In that case sorry Davie.

Mac, you're not serious surely??

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:31 pm

Mav, agree that Rory can in no way be compared with Tiger for his amateur record but Garcia certainly can and he also had a flying start as a pro. Garcia also has quite a solid major record and one that should surely have been complemented with at least a couple of wins.

As for Monty, I agree that he is currently the best player not to have won a major but that is because we can fairly safely say that he will not win one. As for the other guys on the list, Westwood, Donald, Striker, Casey, Rory and Scott are all around the peak of their careers and are more than capable of winning one so may not be classed with Monty as best never to have won one. Kenny Perry is like putting my name up there he's competed so little. That leaves Sergio, who sadly at such a young age seems like his best years are behind him. I would love to see him do similar to Westwood and turn it around because it would be very tragic to see such natural talent not win a major.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:41 pm

Goldie

Perry has

14 pga tour wins
six top tens in the majors

Lee has

20 European wins
2 PGA wins
10 major top tens

I would say lee just shades it for major performances but 14 pga tour wins in the era they were won as a lot better than lee outside the majors. You could argue lee had more consistency but I would say golf is all about the titles you win.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon 11 Apr 2011, 8:57 pm

I think Ian Poulter should be on the list after all he's the best player in the world - he's told us so. And he hasn't won a Major, so he must be the best not to have won!! (Tongue firmly in cheek)

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down