The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highest Ranked Player You've Never Heard Of?

+7
laverfan
hawkeye
lydian
HM Murdock
LuvSports!
JuliusHMarx
Born Slippy
11 posters

Go down

Highest Ranked Player You've Never Heard Of? Empty Highest Ranked Player You've Never Heard Of?

Post by Born Slippy Tue 31 Dec 2013, 2:45 pm

Requires a perusal of the rankings this. I was just looking at Dan Evans' ranking and happened to notice the impressively named Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic. Despite him being 33, his 11 year professional career has completely passed me by.

I thought that would be the highest ranked player I had not come across but, on looking through, I see a chap named Alexandr Nedovyesov in the top 100, at 93. A 6"4 Kazakh he seems to have spent his career outside the top 500 until turning 25, at which point he has rocketed up the rankings to his current position just over a year later in the top 100. I don't feel as bad for my lack of knowledge, as he appears to have played a total of one main tour match and the Australian Open will be his first slam.

So, am I alone in not having heard of these two gentlemen? Anyone prepared to admit to not knowing a player higher ranked than 93?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Highest Ranked Player You've Never Heard Of? Empty Re: Highest Ranked Player You've Never Heard Of?

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 31 Dec 2013, 3:20 pm

In the top 80 there's Michal Przysiezny (66) and Daniel Gimeno-Traver (77) - both of whom have passed me by. There's 3 or 4 others ranked 80 - 100.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Highest Ranked Player You've Never Heard Of? Empty Re: Highest Ranked Player You've Never Heard Of?

Post by LuvSports! Tue 31 Dec 2013, 3:36 pm

Gimeno traver played murray a couple years back in round 1 of wimby, gave him a bit of a scare.
couple of guys in the 90's for me: Bradley Klahn & Aleksandr Nedovyesov.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 31 Dec 2013, 4:21 pm

It seems that plenty of Spaniards have passed me by: Bautista Agut (58) and Carreno Busta (64) were completely unknown to me.

Garcia Lopez (62) and Ramos (83) float like spectres at the very edge of my awareness.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 31 Dec 2013, 4:31 pm

Yeah probably Przysiezny for me.
There are guys ranked higher I'm aware of but hardly know anything about them, e.g. Joao Sousa at #49.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 31 Dec 2013, 4:43 pm

Joao Sousa got hammered 6-0 6-2 6-2 by Novak at USO this year. Prior to that, I don't think I'd heard of him.

Looking at the top 100, I don't recall ever seeing Dmitry Tursonov play... and he's ranked at a lofty 29!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 31 Dec 2013, 4:49 pm

You must be quite young or not a Henman fan. He seemed to get battered by Tursunov in more or less every slam towards the end of his career.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 31 Dec 2013, 4:56 pm

Sousa I've only seen play during his surprising run to the KL 250 title a couple of months ago. Wouldn't have recognised him before then.

Highest player who could walk past me in the street without me recognising him would probably be Bautista-Agut (58). Highest ranked player who I've never seen play on tv would be Julian Reister (86).

Carreno Busta would have been known to no-one until he won 7 straight futures events early last year then played Fed in the first round of RG. Promising young clay courter.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 31 Dec 2013, 5:04 pm

BS, I've probably only watched Henman a handful of times! (whole matches that is).

Nothing against Tim, I was just more into football back then.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 31 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm

Our new 606v2 poster MurrayMad had never heard of Djokovic and I believe Djokovic has quite a high ranking  Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 31 Dec 2013, 6:00 pm

Gianni Mina (just one match against Nadal) or Teixeira (against Federer), but neither made it into Top 100.

I had very high hopes for Dennis Kudla (highest ranking was #90). Crying or Very sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 31 Dec 2013, 6:13 pm

haha nice one HE!
You won't see me saying that often Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Tue 31 Dec 2013, 6:15 pm

Federico Delbonis (55), if you'd asked me who he was I'd be stumped. One of those names that passes from one ear to the other and out into the stratosphere.

Michal Przysiezny (66) and Igor Sijsling (70) don't ring many bells either.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 31 Dec 2013, 6:29 pm

Joao Sousa (49) I only know of him because someone here one mentioned during the USO that there is also a Joao Souza!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:17 pm

delbonis beat feds in hamburg last year and was the first opponent in chile from his comeback, i think.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm

Nedovyesov is also the highest one for me for a player I literally cannot remember seeing the name before.

Yen-Hsun Lu (65) is the highest one for whom I do not have any real reference in my mind. I know the name, but do not remember seeing him play nor do I remember any anectodes from his career.

Jurgen Melzer (27) is the highest ranked guy whose game I do not really remember. It is quite bizarre, and not sure how it happened, since he has been around for a long time, and has been ranked pretty high. I imagine I must have seen him play - and even suspect I saw at least some of his RG SF match - but I am unable to create any picture of his game in my mind.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:24 pm

Melzer is a delight to watch when on song SB. Very talented left-handed nut-case.

Lu is best-known for knocking Murray out of the Olympics in '08 and beating Roddick at Wimbledon a couple of years back. Has a steady uncomplicated game but nothing particularly special.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:40 pm

Ah, I remember Lu beating Roddick now - how did I forget that. I do not remember his win over Murray but it may be because I am not British, nor do I follow the Olympic tennis as closely as some other tournaments.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 01 Jan 2014, 3:06 pm

He was also on the receiving end of this federer magic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qevhV0jxNg

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 01 Jan 2014, 4:26 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Garcia Lopez (62) and Ramos (83) float like spectres at the very edge of my awareness.

GGL had a famous win over Nadal in the Asian Swing in Bangkok. Ramos played an excellent 5-set match at USO 2013 and should have knocked out Tomic. He also has the famous triple-breadstick v Federer at W 2012 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmNgPOG39U

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:28 pm

Theres a bloke at 6 called Roger... Federer? Never heard of him, must have been a sleeper hit.

In seriousness ts number 66 Przysiezny, Michal for me too, never heard the pole even mentioned

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:28 pm

64 Carreno Busta, Pablo

Missed this one havent heard of him either

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:33 pm

Tursonov beat Henman in a tight 5-setter at R2 Wimbledon 2005. Prior to that match, Tim always watched the second week of Wimbledon. Was a bit gutted at I had centre court for the quarter finals that year and would have been nice to see Tim play at Wimbledon once.

Both players were poor on the day, but Tursonov somehow managed to throw down big serves every time Tim had a break point.

The above was their first meeting. After that he became rather a bogey player. At least Tim had a satisfying win against him at the US open in their last match, but still lost the head to head 5-2.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:48 pm

Sometimes player can get into the top 100 due to challenger tour hits, and it looks like that happened for 1 or 2 players here.

I am not sure I have ever heard of Jao Sousa at 49, I certainly couldn't tell you a single fact about him, or remember him playing in a single tournament. I am sure I saw some of his slam results, and forgot about them. 66 Przysiezny is another one definately, Aleksandr Nedovyesov at 93 for sure I have never heard of.

And a few around 80-90 I am not quite sure if I have heard of or not, if you know what I mean.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 01 Jan 2014, 6:58 pm

There are loads in the top 100 whose name I'm familiar with but they could pass me in the street and I'd have no idea who they are.

A 'problem' of tennis being global is that often matches take place in time zones that make them difficult to watch for me here in the UK. So while I may know some stats about a player, I'll often not have any idea of their style of play or even their appearance. There are too many I see only as numbers on a screen rather than a player on a court.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down