The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why don't the Dragons take some of Blues players for a change?

+8
manofgwent
CurlyOsp
Smirnoffpriest
glamorganalun
pioden gorllewin
Impossible Standards
bedfordwelsh
Liam
12 posters

Go down

Why don't the Dragons take some of Blues players for a change? Empty Why don't the Dragons take some of Blues players for a change?

Post by Liam Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 15:48

I was thinking about the exodus not just from Wales but from Dragons also (to a lesser extent). With Brew leaving, Harries reportedly leaving there are some gaps there to be filled by players not getting regular game time. As well as brining their own youngsters through, I would like to see someone like Richard Mustoe sign for the Dragons. He's a player I rate, whenever I see him play I always thinks he looks dangerous. Someone like him would benefit the Dragons as his salary wouldn't be too high and he would improve his game also with regular game time. Another person who could sign for the Dragons is someone like Dafydd Hewitt. A player who has been unlucky with injury, but now seems to be behind Roberts, Evans, Henson and now possible Allen. I think he would also prosper with the Dragons although Dragons do have some strength in their centres. I may be talking out of my backside but it was just a thought that could help the Dragons with gaining some success on the field and not to be known as the 'Connacht of Wales' as they all say. Although the chances of this happening arfe slim with Casey Lalalau leaving for Munster and Roberts and possible Henson on Wales duty, Blues will need the strength in depth for the games they play without them. What do you think?

Liam

Back to top Go down

Why don't the Dragons take some of Blues players for a change? Empty Re: Why don't the Dragons take some of Blues players for a change?

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 16:01

Is Harries leaving, I have heard rumours that Thomas is going but not Harries
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Why don't the Dragons take some of Blues players for a change? Empty Re: Why don't the Dragons take some of Blues players for a change?

Post by Liam Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 16:08

bedfordwelsh wrote:Is Harries leaving, I have heard rumours that Thomas is going but not Harries

Thought I saw someone write he was going in another post? on the Rabo exodus? I hadn't heard anything either until I believe I read it. I could be wrong, I like Harries, hope he regains the form he showed a couple of seasons back. As for Thomas, yeh I heard he was leaving also, Martyn Williams would give them a good season or two and give some vital guidance for the youngsters coming through the ranks.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 16:51

We don't need Martyn Williams we have Gavin Thomas to guide our youngsters. Both good 7's IMO.

Didn't mustoe play for the dragons a few years ago? I don't really see what he would offer that we don't already have in Harris, Chav, Poole or the other academy boys.

I heard we had made a bid for Deiniol Jones which makes me cringe. If we were to take blues players i'd want Warburton, Jenkins, Roberts, 1/2p and the likes...
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 17:08

IS,

Yeah I wouldn't be happy with Deiniol coming we have Sid and Adam who are both old enough and experienced enough to pass on their knowledge to youngsters coming through. That said I would take Goughie back for his last few seasons
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 17:53

Mustoe played for the Dragons when he left the Ospreys, then f'ed off at the first chance he got to the blues. Not the sort we want back!

The problem is that all the players at the Blues would have aspirations of playing for Wales, surely? As Gatland has been telling Dragons players that they need to be playing HC rugby (according to Tovey) they're not going to come. Surely with the stars leaving then the players you mention like Hewitt would fancy their chances of being no.1 now? In fact, the mass exodus from all regions is probably the worst thing for the dragons because the 2nd choice players who we could tempt will now want to stay as they'll get more game time at their region.

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 20:10

i'd be pretty happy with deiniol signing to be truthful. he's battle hardened, experienced and does a lot of unseen donkey work for the team. i know he wouldn't be the most inspiring of signings for the dragons, but think next season will be hard for all the regions. deiniol is the type of guy you'd want in the trenches with you.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 20:10

i'd be pretty happy with deiniol signing to be truthful. he's battle hardened, experienced and does a lot of unseen donkey work for the team. i know he wouldn't be the most inspiring of signings for the dragons, but think next season will be hard for all the regions. deiniol is the type of guy you'd want in the trenches with you.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 20:12

Bedford:

I don't think the Dragons can compete regarding Goughie, ignoring the pay difference which may change, he lives a couple of hundred yards from the beach on the Gower and he likes his surfing.,We have got muddy beaches here in Gwent, I know where I would prefer to live. If he is smart (which he is) I suspect he could go into coaching at the Ospreys, he is well liked I gather.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 21:54

glamorganalun wrote:Bedford:

I don't think the Dragons can compete regarding Goughie, ignoring the pay difference which may change, he lives a couple of hundred yards from the beach on the Gower and he likes his surfing.,We have got muddy beaches here in Gwent, I know where I would prefer to live. If he is smart (which he is) I suspect he could go into coaching at the Ospreys, he is well liked I gather.

Or he could come to the Scarlets - plenty of beaches, lots of 1st team games and a ready made route into coaching for ex-players! Very Happy

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 22:11

Goughie seems to love Newport though, he's always in the commentry box in Dave Parade. Think he'd be a great signing for the Dragons and definatly wouldn't begrudge him going.

Dragons could do with a few old experts to grid out wins, there seems to be enough talent coming through the acadamy, they just need a reason to stay. Maybe Sonny Parker would like another season of first team rugby? He's got better hands than Tuilagi.

I'd also like to see Martin Roberts sign for the Dragons, he's far from my favourite player, but is a pretty good scrum half who might work hard to get back into the Welsh squad.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 22:12

As usual, I think the only reason a welsh player would come to the dragons is as a last resort. If they aren't offered contracts from England, France or Wales, then they'll join. We've been linked with welsh players before, only to see them join another region or go to another country to play.
We'll no doubt be left with whoever is released from the other regions. Siding, Adam jones, gav thomas, sowden Taylor, Scott Morgan and Riley to name a few. Never rated deiniol jones and he's 33!! Mustoe was 1st choice and left to be a bit part player. Daffydd Hewitt, simply. No thanks, he's rubbish!! In truth I don't know who we'll end up with. All the regions look like they'll look very different next season. One thing I do know is that we can't carry on picking Sid and Adam jones in the 2nd row. We have no depth there and these 2 are playing virtually every week. They've been great servants, but we have the weakest 2nd row in Europe!

Last edited by manofgwent on Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 22:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 2:10

jevon groves and royce cadman now theres the future thumbsup

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 9:02

Gavin. You're right they are the future, but at the moment the Dragons squad consists of hot prospects and over the hill players. Any player in their mid 20's if they're good enough are or will be going. Brew, Tovey and charteris.
It's ok having players for the future, but if there good enough they'll be snapped up by another club.
In the next couple of years I'm sure you'll see Lewis evans, Faletau, Lydiate and Martin Thomas leave unless the region show ambition. The only players we'll be left with are the other regions cast-offs, more talent and players that the other regions wouldn't take like Riley, ash smith, wayne evans, Tom brown etc.
It's always, one step forward, two steps back.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 9:10

The Dragons have in the past - RST, Tom Brown, Scott Morgan, Duane Goodfield.

Wink

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 10:27

To be honest the Dragons have done pretty well over the years with signings from the other regions. Whilst they may not be signing star players from the regions they do (genrerally) manage to pick up the decent players who are not getting the experience/chances at other regions.

Martyn Thomas, Aled Brew, Hugh Gustafson, Nathan Williams, Wayne Evans (I believe), Adam Jones, Matthew Jones, Gavin Thomas, Scott Morgan, and Robert Sidoli have all played for or come from accademies at the other regions.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 10:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Scott Morgan, not Scott Williams (well I hope not))
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 18:30

GavinDragon wrote:jevon groves and royce cadman now theres the future thumbsup

Josh Tyler the UWIC boy aswell, on some sort of program I heard to get him up to speed for next season? As much as I like Groves he isn't a lock, and has said before he will play there just to get on the pitch.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down