The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are wrestling fans complicit with a misogynistic product..

+11
UpsideDownFace
Kay Fabe
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Shot 21 LCFC
Mr H
bretmeharty
Statto00
Miz NG
sodhat
KasperTheFriendlyGhost
The General
15 posters

Go down

Are wrestling fans complicit with a misogynistic product..   Empty Are wrestling fans complicit with a misogynistic product..

Post by The General Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:56 am

..and by proxy would a wrestling board that welcomes discussion about that product be equally complicit with the degrading, sexualising and ridicule of women?

The General

Back to top Go down

Are wrestling fans complicit with a misogynistic product..   Empty Re: Are wrestling fans complicit with a misogynistic product..

Post by KasperTheFriendlyGhost Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:01 pm

If all the dinosaurs had a wider vocabulary, like you, maybe they would have survived like the Thesaurus

KasperTheFriendlyGhost

Back to top Go down

Are wrestling fans complicit with a misogynistic product..   Empty Re: Are wrestling fans complicit with a misogynistic product..

Post by sodhat Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:06 pm

Not necessarily, but I would say a male dominated internet forum would be complicit with most of those things regardless of the main point of discussion.

From a personal point of view, I fast forward through the Diva's segments because I don't enjoy them, they bore me.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

No to the first part of the question.

In all the time I've been here and on the old 606 board, the answer to question 2 is no.

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by Statto00 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

I never watch the "Divas" on WWE programming because it's such awful wrestling, but I certainly feel uncomfortable from time-to-time reading topics about "pounding some chick".

Statto00

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

Statto00 wrote:I never watch the "Divas" on WWE programming because it's such awful wrestling, but I certainly feel uncomfortable from time-to-time reading topics about "pounding some chick".

Where's the like button when you need it

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:11 pm

randy

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:11 pm

I hate to sound thick but I have no ide what I have just been asked. I will just answer "maybe"...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:14 pm

I fast forward Diva wrestles. I just find them boring.

It can be a tad mysoginistic, but I don't think Wrestling is any worse than any other kind of media for it. I'd say a Rhianna video is 10x worse than any Diva skit I've ever seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:19 pm

Are you Lincoln Hawks?

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:31 pm

If I ever say anything that causes any kind of discomfort to anyone and you don't want to highlight it in the topic feel free to PM me at anytime and tell me what it is I've said and I'll make sure I don't do it again, or I'll at least make a conscious effort not too, I'll also keep any PM's of that nature confidential OK

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:33 pm

I've sent you a pm Gaff OK

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:39 pm

I have also pm'd you

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:40 pm

Electric Demon wrote:I fast forward Diva wrestles. I just find them boring.

It can be a tad mysoginistic, but I don't think Wrestling is any worse than any other kind of media for it. I'd say a Rhianna video is 10x worse than any Diva skit I've ever seen.

Mmmmmmmmm Rihanna videos heart

Sorry, I gather that Im being misogymnastic or whatever its called right there...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Statto00 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:24 pm

the-gaffer wrote:If I ever say anything that causes any kind of discomfort to anyone and you don't want to highlight it in the topic feel free to PM me at anytime and tell me what it is I've said and I'll make sure I don't do it again, or I'll at least make a conscious effort not too, I'll also keep any PM's of that nature confidential OK
I don't see the need to PM if you say something I find off colour - I'll defend your right to say what you like as long as I can even if I don't like it - I just "tut" and roll my eyes. Cool

Sorry, not trying to be too much of a face.

Statto00

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 23 Feb 2012, 6:57 am

Get off your high horse man

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:27 am

i like wrestling

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:27 am

anyway, wheres sara? i need a sandwich

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:33 am

thirdly, women are as bad, go over to punk's forum and you'll see.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:50 am

Coming from me this thread is just plain stupid!

Back to top Go down

Post by The General Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:57 am

AntLord wrote:Coming from me this thread is just plain stupid!

Quite right Ant Lord!! Have to 'fess up, this thread was a work.. after my real life heel turn thread was removed just as it was getting juicy for somehow being offensive. I just felt it was bit rich considering that we all love a bit of simulated violence and bloodshed with a dash eye candy thrown in for good measure!

Who needs Chris Jericho eh?

The General

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:00 am

We all know wreslting is contrived, but we suspend our belief and get into the stories if well written. When I watch most of the women wrestle they actually remind me that it is staged which should not be the case.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

The General wrote:..and by proxy would a wrestling board that welcomes discussion about that product be equally complicit with the degrading, sexualising and ridicule of women?

Not in the slightest.

Can't speak for WWE but TNA's Knockouts are mostly very capable wrestlers and some of the matches I've seen have been almost as physical as the men's.

Secondly, by and large, the women tend to dress fairly modestly (generally no bums and boobs on display). However, as with most male-oriented sports (or in this case entertainment) the majority of fans are male, so I guess the marketing types know it makes sense for the female wrestlers look sexy (as opposed to degradingly trashy). Don't know if the women choose their outfits or whether they're "directed" to wear what they do. Can anyone here answer that one?

Since Karen Jarett left, the Knockouts have generally been managed very sensibly, as well as given the chance to show their wrestling abilities. Could do with some stronger storylines and more decent feuds, but other than that, its not looking too shabby.

Question for you General: is everyone connected with the fashion industry complicit in the degrading, sexualising and ridicule of women? Given some of the outfits I've seen on catwalks, the last is definitely true!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by The General Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
The General wrote:..and by proxy would a wrestling board that welcomes discussion about that product be equally complicit with the degrading, sexualising and ridicule of women?

Not in the slightest.

Can't speak for WWE but TNA's Knockouts are mostly very capable wrestlers and some of the matches I've seen have been almost as physical as the men's.

Secondly, by and large, the women tend to dress fairly modestly (generally no bums and boobs on display). However, as with most male-oriented sports (or in this case entertainment) the majority of fans are male, so I guess the marketing types know it makes sense for the female wrestlers look sexy (as opposed to degradingly trashy). Don't know if the women choose their outfits or whether they're "directed" to wear what they do. Can anyone here answer that one?

Since Karen Jarett left, the Knockouts have generally been managed very sensibly, as well as given the chance to show their wrestling abilities. Could do with some stronger storylines and more decent feuds, but other than that, its not looking too shabby.

Question for you General: is everyone connected with the fashion industry complicit in the degrading, sexualising and ridicule of women? Given some of the outfits I've seen on catwalks, the last is definitely true!

Please see my response to Antlord.. The whole thread was a tongue in cheek barb at the mods for pulling my excellent Real Life Heel Turns thread yesterday. I completely agree with your points actually.

The General

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

They pulled the real life heel turn thread!!! Why do that!! That had the makings of the greatest ever thread!!! That right there is a real life heel turn by the mods!!! Pretty soon they will be running this place like Vince McMahon ran WWE in the Attitude Era (kayfabe)!!!

Can we have a Stone Cold please????

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:57 pm

WHAT!?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:31 am

Agree with Miz NG - No

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:34 am

The General wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:

Not in the slightest.

Please see my response to Antlord.. The whole thread was a tongue in cheek barb at the mods for pulling my excellent Real Life Heel Turns thread yesterday. I completely agree with your points actually.

Well, its not a very good barb, as wrestling companies and fans are generally not misogynistic, while a thread that involves posters bragging about shagging girls, most certainly is, given that we do have a few female posters on here. I think the mods were right to pull that thread (and yes I'd say the same if it were girls talking about blokes they'd shagged).

If you wanted to have a dig at the mods, you should have said something more directly related to them. Maybe a rant at how like a certain V. McMahon, or Eric Bischoff they are, rather than posting a deliberately provocative post about wrestling.

I think all you achieved was to get a lot of folks confused. Headscratch
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by The General Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:49 am

dyrewolfe wrote:
The General wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:

Not in the slightest.

Well, its not a very good barb, as wrestling companies and fans are generally not misogynistic, while a thread that involves posters bragging about shagging girls, most certainly is, given that we do have a few female posters on here. I think the mods were right to pull that thread (and yes I'd say the same if it were girls talking about blokes they'd shagged).

If you wanted to have a dig at the mods, you should have said something more directly related to them. Maybe a rant at how like a certain V. McMahon, or Eric Bischoff they are, rather than posting a deliberately provocative post about wrestling.

I think all you achieved was to get a lot of folks confused. Headscratch

I think I'll do as I please.. You are under no obligation to reply to or agree with me.

The General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down