The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro 12, 5 mini leagues in a league?

+8
Shifty
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Standulstermen
Notch
geoff998rugby
Mickado
ScarletSpiderman
Kingshu
12 posters

Go down

Pro 12, 5 mini leagues in a league? Empty Pro 12, 5 mini leagues in a league?

Post by Kingshu Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/tables/4777185.stm

Team P W D L F A BP PTS
1 Leinster 16 13 1 2 414 249 5 59
2 Ospreys 16 11 1 4 325 244 2 48
3 Munster 15 10 0 5 328 241 7 47
4 Glasgow 16 8 4 4 293 246 3 43
5 Ulster 16 9 0 7 327 300 5 41
6 Cardiff Blues 15 8 0 7 325 297 8 40
7 Scarlets 16 8 1 7 284 260 6 40
8 Treviso 16 6 0 10 311 381 4 28
9 Newport-Gwent D'gons 15 5 1 9 228 308 3 25
10 Connacht 16 4 1 11 220 295 6 24
11 Edinburgh 16 4 1 11 327 385 5 23
12 Aironi 15 3 0 12 199 375 3 15

I think you could fairly split the League into 5 mini leagues

At the top are Leinster in a league of there own,

Then Ospreys, Munster

then Glasgow, Ulster, Blues and Scarlets

then Treviso, NGD, Connacht and Edinburgh

and at the bottom Aironi in a bottom league of their own.

1 Leinster 59

2 Ospreys 48
3 Munster 47

4 Glasgow 43
5 Ulster 41
6 Cardiff Blues 40
7 Scarlets 40

8 Treviso 28
9 Newport-Gwent D'gons 25
10 Connacht 24
11 Edinburgh 23

12 Aironi 15

The reson I bring this up is I believe that at this stage of the season that each team is only capable of topping their own mini league, and not able to get into the league above. This means that top spot is sown up, Ospreys and Munster are battling for 2nd, the loser winn finish 3rd, and Glasgow, Ulster, Blues and Scarlets are fihting each other for 4th. Aironi improved from last year but still have a way to go to be in teh mini league challanging for 8th spot, surly must be thier aim next year.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Pro 12, 5 mini leagues in a league? Empty Re: Pro 12, 5 mini leagues in a league?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:20 pm

Not necessarily true. The Dragons have a game in hand (home vrs Blues). If they were to win that with a bonus point that would put the Dragons on 30pts (or if the Blues did a bonus point they would be on 45pts and land them in the 2nd place battle). If the Dragons are on 35pts, and either the Scarlets or Blues win the two games left between them, then the Dragons could realistically finish above on of those two sides.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Pro 12, 5 mini leagues in a league? Empty Re: Pro 12, 5 mini leagues in a league?

Post by Kingshu Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

I wasn't saying they were mathamatically impossible, but it is very unlikley for Blues to finish above Munster or Ospreys at this stage or Dragons to finish above Scarlets. Realistically topping your own mini League is th ebest you can do.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

Kingshu wrote:I wasn't saying they were mathamatically impossible, but it is very unlikley for Blues to finish above Munster or Ospreys at this stage or Dragons to finish above Scarlets. Realistically topping your own mini League is th ebest you can do.

I would argue that it is fairly likely that coming into the last game of the season the Dragons will have a realistic chance of sneaking the final welsh HC spot depending on them winning and who loses in the SCarlets/Blues game (last round of the Rabo).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

The Blues do have a game in hand as well mind, so it is possible for them to catch the O's (although possibly not Munster due to their game in hand as well).

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:27 pm

If Munster win their game in hand with a BP and beat Leinster in Thomond (denying us a BP) there’s only 3 points in it. We’ve trips to Ravenhill and Dave Parade.

Game on.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:35 pm

Lot to go yet.

Ospreys next two games at home to Warriors and away to Leinster.
Lose both and they are back in the pack.

Blues have 3 away games on the bounce whilst Ulster play Edinburgh, the 2 Italian sides and Connacht in their next 4 games.

Its going to be a real scrap.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

Cardiffs game in hand is away against the Dragons... now that'll be interesting. As will be Cardiff and Ulsters trips to Treviso- a tough venue at times. Ospreys play Glasgow next up; high potential for dropped points!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

Scarlets and Blues will play eachother twice. Blues also have to play glasgow and the ospreys. Not an easy run in at all.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:14 pm

Blues playing Glasgow and the Scarlets is great for us. Someone will definitely drop points.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:58 pm

Scarlets did the double over the Blues last season so fingers crossed we can do it again. We badly need Ulster and Glasgow to start dropping points though.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 29 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

I think this is a really interesting concept I gotta say. glad to see a different kinda article on here. OK

I disagree that there are 5 mini leagues but it is divided.

I think Leinster are somewhat assurred that 2nd is the worst they can do. Munster could get 1st IMO although it will be tough.

I think the tussell between the Ospreys and the lads in the third group is the most interesting. I think with games in hand, tough away fixtures versus easier home ties it will make it very interesting.

I love this time of year.

Looking for a Leinster-Munster-Ulster 1-2-3!!!!
Believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 29 Feb 2012, 2:29 pm

To be honest I think the Welsh season will implode after the 6 Nations anyway and I will not be suprised if the 4 Welsh regions give up the ghost this year.

Their is a lot of organising to do, and financial difficulties to work around at the moment I would assume that the regions players will have other distractions. Certainly with the amount of fringe players that have announced they are leaving their respective regions you would assume moral would be quite low.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 2:33 pm

Only two players have announced they're leaving the Scarlets, and two form the O's isn't it?

That's hardly a lot Alyn!

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

But the Ospreys have lost a lot of big players over the past 2/3 years. You're right about the Scarlets though they haven't many players, but they don't have a pack to compete at the top.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

we're one or two players off it this season go wales, very nearly almost sneaked a HEC QF too. Think we're in a good place to still be building.

Besides teams have shown that having a good pack isn't enough. what's the point in securing all that ball, if your backs can't do anything with it??

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:24 pm

Well history has shown that you need a decent pack to go far in the HC.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:25 pm

Yes but not enough to win it. You need both forwards and backs.

Scarlets have the backs in abundence, and I honestly don't think our pack is that bad anymore, it's improved massively this season. With the loss of Rhys T though, we might well struggle at TH next season (and he wasn't the strongest scrummager anyways!)

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:28 pm

AlynDavies wrote:To be honest I think the Welsh season will implode after the 6 Nations anyway and I will not be suprised if the 4 Welsh regions give up the ghost this year.

Their is a lot of organising to do, and financial difficulties to work around at the moment I would assume that the regions players will have other distractions. Certainly with the amount of fringe players that have announced they are leaving their respective regions you would assume moral would be quite low.

I appreciate this is not the way the media are covering it, but as I see it the players who are leaving are either starting to reach their peak and may soon decline (Charteris, Jenkins, Brew, Hook, Byrne) or have no chance of making the international cut despite still having a fair bit of their career ahead of them (Day, Smith, TR Thomas, Goode), and either way they are looking at making the best of the situation in front of them (with regards to their earning potential, ballenced against the international aspirations). I believe the press would rather spin it that there is a mass rush for the door as it sells more papers (or gets more hits or what ever on line).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:29 pm

But there obviously is a problem because players like Jenkins, Hook, Byrne and Charteris win you games and bring in the crowds

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Yes but not enough to win it. You need both forwards and backs.

Scarlets have the backs in abundence, and I honestly don't think our pack is that bad anymore, it's improved massively this season. With the loss of Rhys T though, we might well struggle at TH next season (and he wasn't the strongest scrummager anyways!)

I think your front five will be incredibly weak next season. Owens and Rees are the only decent players you've got there.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:33 pm

But they're all aged 28+ now gowales, perfect time for them to leave and get some more money and allow youngsters, local ones preferably, to come through.

It's been great at the Scarlets to see all the local young guys get given a chance, it's so much more rewarding backing local talent then guys who are NWQ. Add to that the youngsters absolutely love representing their side and if they are good enough they take their chance to shine: see Liam Williams.

That in turns provides a feel good factor = bigger crowds.

yes "Star" players bring in crowds, but you need to develop new start players for that to be a sustainable way of attracting supporters, hence giving younger guys a chance and allowing the older guys to move on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:34 pm

gowales wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:Yes but not enough to win it. You need both forwards and backs.

I think your front five will be incredibly weak next season. Owens and Rees are the only decent players you've got there.

Timani and Welch are a great 2nd row pairing, they more then coped away from home against Saints. We've also got Iestyn and Rhodri (who is a huge young talent) to play LH. We could consider m oving Rhodri to TH if Manu goes, but it still stands if we have our 1st choice front 5 out...they really aren't too shabby at all.

Injuries, wrth gwrs, could really affect us. Not a lot of depth there at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:41 pm

gowales wrote:But there obviously is a problem because players like Jenkins, Hook, Byrne and Charteris win you games and bring in the crowds

I can see your point. However there are still stars at the Blues (Halfpenny, Roberts, Warburton etc), Dragons (Lydiate, Faletau, Chavanga etc), Ospreys (R Jones, AW Jones, A Jones etc) and Scarlets (Priestland, Davies, North etc). So all it means is that one or two stars move on to create space for the new stars to come through. After all if you can cast your mind back 3 seasons we were wondering who would be going to the RWC as Martyn Williams back up, now we have Warburton, Tipuric, Turnbull and Co. The old heads do need to move on at some point, and maybe it could allow us to see another set of young stars come through.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Feb 2012, 4:02 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:But they're all aged 28+ now gowales, perfect time for them to leave and get some more money and allow youngsters, local ones preferably, to come through.

It's been great at the Scarlets to see all the local young guys get given a chance, it's so much more rewarding backing local talent then guys who are NWQ. Add to that the youngsters absolutely love representing their side and if they are good enough they take their chance to shine: see Liam Williams.

That in turns provides a feel good factor = bigger crowds.

yes "Star" players bring in crowds, but you need to develop new start players for that to be a sustainable way of attracting supporters, hence giving younger guys a chance and allowing the older guys to move on.

So what you're basically saying is that the regions are going to become feeders? TBH i think this would be the best thing and I don't think the WRU should use central contracts.
The main problem for me is keeping the regions financially sustainable and at the moment it doesn't look like they'll be in the near future.
Just look at the young replacements for the Blues and Ospreys, apart from a few exceptions they are crap. I can't see the regions being competitive with squads of youngsters and i can't see them bringing in crowds either.

In the Scarlets case i think they are getting bigger crowds because they're playing a good brand of rugby and Llanelli is a rugby town.

The Blues and Ospreys on the other hand are the biggest worries for me. They aren't playing good rugby and i can't see that changing with the players they'll have and they're both now predominantly football towns. I can't see their situations getting any better in the near future to be honest.

The Ospreys are always near the top at domestic level, we have a strong forward pack and a good goal kicker, that usually wins you games but not HC games unfortunately! We've already started to implement a youth policy but it isn't bringing in the crowds is it. I can't see us playing "good" rugby in the near future either with the squad we'll have. How are things going to get better?

The Blues are looking seriously bad for the next few seasons. The squad depth is average at best and most of the youngsters coming through are too.

All in al unless something changes we will continue to see players leave the regions, failure in the HC and possibly the majority of the regions going bust.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 4:47 pm

Where did I say we would become feeders?

Our best players right now, or the majority of them, are under the age of 28, and are staying with the regions.

I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Scarlets weren't competativee for a few seasons when we had to blood our youngsters. Now they've come good. So I'm afraid it's tough luck to the O's and Blues but they're going to have to go through the same process.

I don't think the O's will be hit as badly as they're academy has been churning out good players for seasons already, the Blues might well have a harder time.

And style of rugby?

Scarlets aren't actually playing all that an attractive style this season but our crowds are 10% up. For me that is because we are playing local home grown players, and we've worked really hard at improving the match day experience. There is a feel good factor around the region at the minute and that is rubbing off on the supporters.

How the Blues and O's will achieve this I don't know, but I think moving games back to the CAP and getting rid of Johnson and Holley, should help massively.

And as it stands there are still 3 regions with the chance of making the play offs, with one pretty much guaranteed to be there, so we can't be doing all that badly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Only two players have announced they're leaving the Scarlets, and two form the O's isn't it?

I did say "fringe" players. angel

It's not just that though, you do realise for many weeks now EVERYTHING in the Ospreys club shop has been reduced to clear?

I bought a £19.99 DVD set of the 2009 British and Irish Lions tour (2 disc set), for £1.88!
That's not a typo either, something that cost £19.99 a few weeks back is now £1.88...

All clothing has been reduced by 40% (+10% off again season ticket holders), it seems to be a real possibility that the Ospreys could be on the verge of a meltdown.

You only had to see the lack of stewards at the Glasgow game last night. I'd say there was about 2,500 fans there and no where near the usual amount of stewards. The rumour is the region is close to going bust, and the region have not announced it's all made up lies are they?
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:29 pm

gowales wrote: So what you're basically saying is that the regions are going to become feeders? TBH i think this would be the best thing and I don't think the WRU should use central contracts.
The main problem for me is keeping the regions financially sustainable and at the moment it doesn't look like they'll be in the near future.
Just look at the young replacements for the Blues and Ospreys, apart from a few exceptions they are crap. I can't see the regions being competitive with squads of youngsters and i can't see them bringing in crowds either.

In the Scarlets case i think they are getting bigger crowds because they're playing a good brand of rugby and Llanelli is a rugby town.

The Blues and Ospreys on the other hand are the biggest worries for me. They aren't playing good rugby and i can't see that changing with the players they'll have and they're both now predominantly football towns. I can't see their situations getting any better in the near future to be honest.

The Ospreys are always near the top at domestic level, we have a strong forward pack and a good goal kicker, that usually wins you games but not HC games unfortunately! We've already started to implement a youth policy but it isn't bringing in the crowds is it. I can't see us playing "good" rugby in the near future either with the squad we'll have. How are things going to get better?

The Blues are looking seriously bad for the next few seasons. The squad depth is average at best and most of the youngsters coming through are too.

All in al unless something changes we will continue to see players leave the regions, failure in the HC and possibly the majority of the regions going bust.

GoWales what Dreamer described is nothing like a feeder club - the regions would invest in players, develop them, keep them through their peak and then just when their on the downward slop (or just after) they'd let them go when a new younger, fresher player is ready to take their place.

A development side would bring on lots of youngsters just to the point when they are ready to compete to a high level and then sell them on (at about 21-23 years old).

And to say the Ospreys and Blues replacements are crap is a bit wayward - The O's are getting rid of Bennnet, but have Hibbert, Merfin & Baldwin (whose very promising) to replace him. They got rid of Hook but have Biggar and Morgan to replace him, they've got R Jones, J Thomas, Stowers, Bearman, Smith (going I know), Tipuric, King to play in the backrow with some more promising youngsters coming through.

The Blues have M Williams and Navidi to replace Warbs when he's on int duty, Blair, Robinson and T James to cover for Halfpenny, young props such as Andrews coming through, great options in the locks to cover for Bradley and have Patterson and Pretorious fighting it out in the backrow.
The only place the Blues are struggling is Flyhalf

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:38 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

The Blues have M Williams and Navidi to replace Warbs when he's on int duty, Blair, Robinson and T James to cover for Halfpenny, young props such as Andrews coming through, great options in the locks to cover for Bradley and have Patterson and Pretorious fighting it out in the backrow.

Martyn won't be playing for Cardiff next season and Blair cover for Halfpenny? Other way round for me as Ben Blair has still got it. Robinson is still wet behind the ears and has hardly featured at all for Cardiff Blues and Tom James is a winger end of and in no way a full back.
I think Cardiff should recruit some south sea islanders or some eastern bloc grit to beef up their front row.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 04 Mar 2012, 4:05 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Martyn won't be playing for Cardiff next season and Blair cover for Halfpenny? Other way round for me as Ben Blair has still got it. Robinson is still wet behind the ears and has hardly featured at all for Cardiff Blues and Tom James is a winger end of and in no way a full back.
I think Cardiff should recruit some south sea islanders or some eastern bloc grit to beef up their front row.

Yeah coz importing their players has worked well so far!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:39 am

AlynDavies wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:Only two players have announced they're leaving the Scarlets, and two form the O's isn't it?

I did say "fringe" players. angel

It's not just that though, you do realise for many weeks now EVERYTHING in the Ospreys club shop has been reduced to clear?

I bought a £19.99 DVD set of the 2009 British and Irish Lions tour (2 disc set), for £1.88!
That's not a typo either, something that cost £19.99 a few weeks back is now £1.88...

All clothing has been reduced by 40% (+10% off again season ticket holders), it seems to be a real possibility that the Ospreys could be on the verge of a meltdown.

You only had to see the lack of stewards at the Glasgow game last night. I'd say there was about 2,500 fans there and no where near the usual amount of stewards. The rumour is the region is close to going bust, and the region have not announced it's all made up lies are they?

Alyn, I wouldn't read too much into the 40% discount thing. I've just had an e-mail through from the scarlets shop announcing all shirts and clothing are 40% off. This is the time of the season where they need to start clearing out their stock asap to make room for all the new stuff next season. They don't want really any clothing stock left over at all I'd imagine.

And I think a regions best bet is to ignore all rumours about debts etc. I know I keep harking things back to the Scarlets, but we've had so many rumours over the years about our finances, at least once a season you get the "oh Scarlets are going to go bust" articles in the press. They've just decided to turn on the O's now. With the coaching staff and palyers that are leaving/retiring/have left you guys will be saving a tidy sum of money. Don't think it's time to hit panic stations just yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:00 pm

Kingshu wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/tables/4777185.stm

Team P W D L F A BP PTS

Then Ospreys, Munster

1 Leinster 59

2 Ospreys 48
3 Munster 47

4 Glasgow 43
5 Ulster 41
6 Cardiff Blues 40
7 Scarlets 40

8 Treviso 28
10 Connacht 24
11 Edinburgh 23

12 Aironi 15

The reson I bring this up is I believe that at this stage of the season that each team is only capable of topping their own mini league, and not able to get into the league above. This means that top spot is sown up, Ospreys and Munster are battling for 2nd, the loser winn finish 3rd, and Glasgow, Ulster, Blues and Scarlets are fihting each other for 4th. Aironi improved from last year but still have a way to go to be in teh mini league challanging for 8th spot, surly must be thier aim next year.

Current Standings.

Leinster 17 63
Munster 16 51
Ospreys 17 49
Warriors 17 47
Ulster 17 46
Scarlets 17 45
Blues 16 44
Treviso 17 29
Dragons 16 25
Connacht 17 24
Edinburgh 17 23
Aironi 16 15

I think after the weekend games that any two from 3rd to 7th could be in the top 4. Great for the league and it could be the last weekend before the positions are finally decided. Totally unlike the AP where the four semi-finalists are more or less known already.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 05 Mar 2012, 5:00 pm

Rava wrote:
Kingshu wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/tables/4777185.stm

Team P W D L F A BP PTS

Then Ospreys, Munster

1 Leinster 59

2 Ospreys 48
3 Munster 47

4 Glasgow 43
5 Ulster 41
6 Cardiff Blues 40
7 Scarlets 40

8 Treviso 28
10 Connacht 24
11 Edinburgh 23

12 Aironi 15

Current Standings.

Leinster 17 63
Munster 16 51
Ospreys 17 49
Warriors 17 47
Ulster 17 46
Scarlets 17 45
Blues 16 44
Treviso 17 29
Dragons 16 25
Connacht 17 24
Edinburgh 17 23
Aironi 16 15

I think after the weekend games that any two from 3rd to 7th could be in the top 4. Great for the league and it could be the last weekend before the positions are finally decided. Totally unlike the AP where the four semi-finalists are more or less known already.

It makes the league so tense! The different run ins to finish off the league and the need for bonus points etc is going to make the last few games really good. I couldn't call who will take 3rd and 4th. Very exciting stuff.

Does anyone think any of those 4 teams (3rd to 7th) really can't make it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 05 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

Matches still to play for the five teams currently placed 3rd to 7th.

Ospreys - Leinster (a), Treviso (h), Blues (a), Dragons (h) & Aironi (a)
Warriors - Aironi (h), Blues (h), Munster (a), Treviso (a) & Connacht (h)
Ulster - Treviso (a), Aironi (h), Connacht (a), Leinster (h) & Munster (a)
Scarlets - Blues (a), Edinburgh (a), Aironi (a), Munster (h) & Blues (h)
Blues - Dragons (a), Scarlets (h), Warriors (a), Ospreys (h), Edinburgh (h) & Scarlets (a)

My final 3rd to 7th prediction

Ulster 22 63
Ospreys 22 63
Blues 22 62
Warriors 22 60
Scarlets 22 56

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

Ospreys - Leinster (a)[0pts], Treviso (h)[4pts], Blues (a)[1pt], Dragons (h)[4pts] & Aironi (a)[5pts]
14pts leaving them on 63

Warriors - Aironi (h)[5pts], Blues (h)[4pts], Munster (a)[0pt], Treviso (a)[4pts] & Connacht (h)[5pts]
18pts leaving them on 65

Ulster - Treviso (a)[4pts], Aironi (h)[5pts], Connacht (a)[5pts], Leinster (h)[1pt] & Munster (a)[1pt]
16 pts leaving them on 62

Scarlets - Blues (a)[1pt], Edinburgh (a)[4pts], Aironi (a)[4pts], Munster (h)[1pt] & Blues (h)[4pts]
14pts leaving them on 59

Blues - Dragons (a)[1pts], Scarlets (h)[4pts], Warriors (a)[1pts], Ospreys (h)[4pts], Edinburgh (h)[5pts] & Scarlets (a)[0pts]
15pts leaving them on 59

Warriors 65
Ospreys 63
Ulster 62
Blues 59
Scarlets 59

That's the way I see it ending up however I think Ulster could beat Munster that was the game I felt most undecided about and it would be a 3 point swing.

I also think of all the teams there the Ospreys could be the ones most likely to bottle a game that they should win

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

Pete - the only one I'd contend with...Scarlets did the double over the Blues last season, and you could argue that we've improved this season and they've declined, so for me, (as I'm a Scarlets so i would think this) I can see us getting 4 when we play Blues away, leaving us on 63.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

and now that I've said we can do the double against them, we'll probably lose both. I don't want to have jinxed them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Warriors 65
Ospreys 63
Ulster 62
Blues 59
Scarlets 59

That's the way I see it ending up however I think Ulster could beat Leinster that was the game I felt most undecided about and it would be a 3 point swing.

I also think of all the teams there the Ospreys could be the ones most likely to bottle a game that they should win

Pete, fixed that for you. Wink

I actually think we will beat Leinster this time around.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:51 pm

Really? What makes you think that?
I think Munster are there for the taking no with POC and Murray out.

This is mainly for the 1/4 final I guess.
Yeah they are only 2 injuries but such huge ones IMO.
I think you guys have a real chance now.

I assume MOD and TOL will come into the game. Munster still don't have a settled midfield and their scrum can be quite poor at times (Northampton penalty tries). The slower ball they will get from TOL and weaker lineout, maul and breakdown work coming from MOD.

The fact they have Jones back is a big fillip though and Hurley is going very well too. Wallace? When is he back? POM seems to have somewhat fixed their backrow issue too which is good.

Rugby-
Yeah there are a good few calls in there that could go either way tbh, personally I'd hope the blues and Ulster make it in because we always play well against those guys. Scarlets and the Ospreys we don't seem to do as well against.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Really? What makes you think that?
I think Munster are there for the taking no with POC and Murray out.

Well basically because we are at home and Ravenhill has become a fortress again. Some of the rugby we have played recently has been scintillating. Admittedly the quarter finals of the HC may dictate differently but we should be at full strength as well. I would back us at home against anyone in Europe with a full strength team.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

Pete - yeah I can understand that. Looking at it if we qualify in 4th place, would love an away semi final to Leinster, would be much more preferable then an away game against Munster. Our record against them is truly shocking!

It's going to be a nervous run in though, the teams that take every chance and make fewest mistakes will make it, so little room for error with so many teams so close. I love this time of the season!

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:14 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Pete - yeah I can understand that. Looking at it if we qualify in 4th place, would love an away semi final to Leinster, would be much more preferable then an away game against Munster. Our record against them is truly shocking!

It's going to be a nervous run in though, the teams that take every chance and make fewest mistakes will make it, so little room for error with so many teams so close. I love this time of the season!

Yeah you guys have had a bit of a taboo on us in the past. Like I said I'd prefer the blues or Ulster.
Something about you guys just doesn't grate well with us.

Rava- fair enough. personally I'd go to Ravenhill and not expect a win but would be looking for one and would feel disappointed if we didn't win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:14 pm

Pete, if you are still in contact with Mickado, he and Micky T are planning to get up for the game. Why don't you join them so I can console you when we beat you Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:25 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Alyn, I wouldn't read too much into the 40% discount thing. I've just had an e-mail through from the scarlets shop announcing all shirts and clothing are 40% off. This is the time of the season where they need to start clearing out their stock asap to make room for all the new stuff next season. They don't want really any clothing stock left over at all I'd imagine.

And I think a regions best bet is to ignore all rumours about debts etc. I know I keep harking things back to the Scarlets, but we've had so many rumours over the years about our finances, at least once a season you get the "oh Scarlets are going to go bust" articles in the press. They've just decided to turn on the O's now. With the coaching staff and palyers that are leaving/retiring/have left you guys will be saving a tidy sum of money. Don't think it's time to hit panic stations just yet.

You may well be right, but there was no more than 3,000 there for the Glasgow game and when you have season ticket holders simply not turning up, and those that do walking out from 50 minutes onwards, it's fair to say there is a lot of problems at the Ospreys. steam
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:27 pm

I thought they said teh attendance was 5K plus for that one Alyn?

Not good if folks were walking out though Sad

A lot of problems aye, but you guys are already making steps to fix things. Might take a couple of seasons to get things completely right to build on properly but you'll come good again OK

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:25 am

Rava wrote:Pete, if you are still in contact with Mickado, he and Micky T are planning to get up for the game. Why don't you join them so I can console you when we beat you Very Happy

Not a bad plan! Could get on board for that! Very Happy We'll see Rava, we'll see!

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:35 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I thought they said teh attendance was 5K plus for that one Alyn?

Not good if folks were walking out though Sad

A lot of problems aye, but you guys are already making steps to fix things. Might take a couple of seasons to get things completely right to build on properly but you'll come good again OK

People were walking out of PYS at about teh 50-60min mark season before last, and those who didn't leave then only stood around to boo Nige and the team at the end of the match. ANd now we are hailing the same coach and players for turning things around. So I honestly can't see why Tandy and the young guns that are at the Liberty can't rebuild over the next season. Also they are still in teh play-off spots, and are already in the HC next season no matter what, so they must be doing something right.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:46 am

I remember thinking that Nige didn't have a clue and that without investment in the fowards to go along with some of the talent coming through in the backs we'd be sunk and would never get out of the bottom half of the league - how wrong was I?

And the Ospreys are in a lot better place than we were 3 seasons ago, they're still competing in the Rabo, so there's no reason why won't still do quite well when going through this transition

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down