The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Simpson Daniel?

+15
Sgt_Pooly
idris
offload
Glas a du
king_carlos
EnglishReign
doctor_grey
thebluesmancometh
pbuk0
Geordie
propdavid_london
B91212
Bring_The_Boom
formerly known as Sam
HERSH
19 posters

Go down

James Simpson Daniel? Empty James Simpson Daniel?

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

Is it too late for him?

I still think he could hold the key to unlock most defences in the NH and that would allow players like Ashton and Foden to feed off of him.

I'd take the chance
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

James Simpson Daniel? Empty Re: James Simpson Daniel?

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

Send him on the summer tour with the other prospective England candidates.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm

I'd stick him in against France we need some creativity.

Farrell
Strettle
JSD
Manu
Ashton
Foden

That has tries written all over it.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bring_The_Boom Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm

He won't get the chance IMO. I've been a big fan of his for about what seems like a decade now. I think he quality, great core skills, unlocks defences, sets things up for his teammates, has still got gas to burn and scores tries.

Unfortunately for him it seems that the likes of Strettle, Monye, Sharples, Ashton are all ahead of him in the pecking order and at 30 time is not on his side esp. for a young team with an eye on building for 2015.

Bring_The_Boom

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

Why all this building for 2015?

We've got France and Ireland next and I want two wins.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:00 pm

Should have been on the left wing from the beginning of the 6N in my opinion, forming a back 3 with Foden and Ashton. Although he is 30 now so is Dowson and he was still selected so I can't see the difference. He may not make it until 2015 but England could still have a good couple of years from him.

Seen him about 4 times this season and he is just class, by far the best option available. He's not in the EPS so unless there is an injury it won't happen. Wouldn't have him at 12 though, would play him in his current club position on the left and leave the Barritt Tuilagi partnership as it is.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:09 pm

Presumably a new head coach - even if it is still Lancaster will have the freedom to pick his own EPS and touring party following the 6N.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:16 pm

Farrell
Strettle
JSD
Manu
Ashton
Foden

That has tries written all over it.

I don't think so. Three wingers (1 terribly out of form and 1 limited) an even more out of form full back and a 10 with a limited passing game will not equal tries against the French.

10.Flood
11.JSD
12.Baritt
13.Manu
14.Sharples
15.Brown

That would equal tries. Whether they would be able to offer the same defensive security and kicking game is another matter (though Sharples and Brown both have better kicking games than Strettle/Ashton and Foden).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:23 pm

HERSH wrote:Why all this building for 2015?

Hersh....well said... clap

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bring_The_Boom Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

It seems the team is in transition for 2015 with the young ages of the vast majoirty of the squad. I'd select him in my match day 22 if I was picking the team however.

I wouldn't have him at 12 and would have to be convinced at 13 due to his defence which although fine at AP, could struggle on the international stage.

Bring_The_Boom

Back to top Go down

Post by Bring_The_Boom Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

I'd keep the backline for France with maybe Sharples in for Strettle and possibly JSD on the bench. I think Jonny May would be a fantastic bench option though IMO covering 11-15.

Bring_The_Boom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:39 pm

I'd keep the backline for France with maybe Sharples in for Strettle

Why Strettle? He may not offer as much in talent as Ashton and Foden but he is in better form and seems to have adapted to the tactical changes far better.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bring_The_Boom Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

Hence the maybe.

I thought Strettle was fantastic when he played in his first six nations back in 06 or 07. He's got a killer step and his all around game is impressive. Agree with the form aspect, again hence the 'maybe' - I'd just like to see what Sharples can bring to the table, to get his chance to see what he can do on the big stage.

Bring_The_Boom

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:42 pm

I know that Ashton and Foden are not in the best form but I would still stick with them, they are proven at this level and will come good. I would certainly move Ashton back to the right wing though. I've been disappointed by Strettle. I felt he deserved to be recalled based on his club form but he seems unsure what to do when he gets the ball. I will let him off not getting the ball down on Saturday as a one of mistake (every player makes them) but I've been unconvinced by him so far and would drop him for the France game.

I can't belive poeple want to drop Foden after one poor and one average game. He's been Englands best player for the last 18 months and deserves a little more respect than being dropped so quickly. It's not like his form has been off for his club either. I know traditionally England have been too loyal to certain players but I think Foden justifies keeping for longer. Being jealous of him because of his Mrs is not a reason to drop him from the team either!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:45 pm

JSD if he had been fit over the last 10 years and playing international Rugby, he would have been world class.. but unfortunately he never got the opportunity due to injuries and poor England managment..
Probably is too late for him now...
I would like Johnnie May, Jonathan Joseph and Sharples all given a chance now.....

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:29 pm

JSD if he had been fit over the last 10 years and playing international Rugby, he would have been world class

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... So would I!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:42 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:JSD if he had been fit over the last 10 years and playing international Rugby, he would have been world class

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... So would I!!!

Why don't u tell us a Scottish back in the last 15 years that was a better player than JSD...

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:58 pm

JSD has always seemed to get injured at all the wrong times. Now, sadly for him, the clock is ticking loudly. Tragic in a way because I always felt he had all the potential in the world.

If he played in this 6 Nations it would be as a stopgap, temporary measure (like Lancaster?). Which might have been OK.

But now, I would rather see Sharples get a run. We need to know if he has the goods at the top level or not. And no time like the present.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:03 pm

He's the best winger in the NH, of that I have no doubt. It's a good point about Dowson, if he gets his first cap at 30, why not give JSD some more at 29?

We might as well start building in the meaningless Summer games and actually play good players v France/Ireland.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:03 pm

Phuko

Patterson, you know the Lion, the international, the points scorer!

Or how about most of the Scottish backline that played Saturday, the ones who outplayed the French backline, when has JSD done that?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:06 pm

He's the best winger in the NH

Oh dear, this thread just took a turn, before I compare him to the world class of the likes of North, Medard, Malzui, Clerc, and Bowe, I'll discuss the guys picked over him for England only, Ashton and Strettle.

Infact I could name half a dozen non international wingers in the northern hemisphere who are better than him!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:13 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Phuko

Patterson, you know the Lion, the international, the points scorer!

Or how about most of the Scottish backline that played Saturday, the ones who outplayed the French backline, when has JSD done that?

What was the score in that match that Scotland outplayed France in ??? How many did you win by again??

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:15 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:He's the best winger in the NH

Oh dear, this thread just took a turn, before I compare him to the world class of the likes of North, Medard, Malzui, Clerc, and Bowe, I'll discuss the guys picked over him for England only, Ashton and Strettle.

Infact I could name half a dozen non international wingers in the northern hemisphere who are better than him!

Well he outplayed the Aus and NZ backline in 2002 before injuries kicked in. He has also outplayed Medard and Bowe in the past when playing Toulouse/Ulster.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:17 pm

Did I win by? 7 why?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:24 pm

clap People arguing for 'building' state that if you're good enough you're old enough with young players. I completely agree but apply it both ways. Easter deserved a place in the squad over Dowson and in my opinion Dowsons performances have shown it (I do like the look of Morgans ball carrying though!).

Personally I've wanted JSD in the side for a while now and wanted him in the starting XV over Ashton prior to the Six Nations.

9.Dickson
10.Farrell
11.Strettle
12.Barritt
13.Tuilagi
14.JSD
15.Foden

I'm one who can honestly say I've never been a huge Ashton fan - yes he's a great finisher but his ground work (i.e. rucking,mauling etc) is often shocking,his passing isn't great and his tackling at times embarrassing. On top of this he's been invisible for the last two games and poor for Northampton most of the season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

king_carlos wrote:I'm one who can honestly say I've never been a huge Ashton fan - yes he's a great finisher but his ground work (i.e. rucking,mauling etc) is often shocking,his passing isn't great and his tackling at times embarrassing. On top of this he's been invisible for the last two games and poor for Northampton most of the season.
Agree that Ashton has been off form all season but don't agree with your views on his passing and tackling. Passing wise I think he is strong off either hand compared to most other wingers (probably thanks to playing League as a youngster) and his defensive play is generally okay and not as bad as many make out. Agree on the rucking, again his League background shows through in this area. His kicking from hand is also inconsistent at best.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:45 pm

I still think he could hold the key to unlock most defences in the NH and that would allow players like Ashton and Foden to feed off of him.

Is that the third series of True Blood?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:53 pm

I remember JSD running around Lomu (Babarians game I think?). Great player and a shame for him and England that he missed out. His chance has probably passed. Sat next to him at a hospitality event once - decent bloke and good table company.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:17 pm

I thought Ashton was god and didn't need anyone to feed off to score 4 tries per match?

Shane Williams never relied on anyone to produce his magic.

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:20 pm

Ashton was why England lost. Despite Lancaster's efforts he has disrupted the squad with his Saracens move.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:36 pm

The problem with JSD has always been his defence. A fantastic attacking player but is suspect one on one and positionally.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:26 am

1) You cant compare Patterson and JSD. Two very different players.

2) Strettle has been fine this 6n...HOWEVER he has made a couple of clangers. He needs to make sure he doesnt simply run the ball back in to a mass of defenders and get isolated...which he did twice i believe against Wales. It puts your team in trouble.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

Hes 30 though right? Doesnt that make it illeagal for Lancaster to pick him?
At least we arent going through the whole annual Tait thing again this year.

I wouldve thought Sharples fit the bill more since hes in the EPS n that.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:50 am

I think sadly JSD's time has passed. In my opinion he is a prime example of a body which is not designed to carry so much muscle, I cant believe its a coincidence that putting on 3 stone of muscle on a naturally light body has happened at the same time as regular injuries. That topic is probably for another thread though.

For now though I would consider drafting in Sharples instead of Ashton, or at least get him on the bench and give him a run out.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:51 am

I should add actually, that just because a player looks good in the premiership doesnt mean they would have been a world beater internationally, Steve Hanley anyone?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:56 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:I think sadly JSD's time has passed. In my opinion he is a prime example of a body which is not designed to carry so much muscle, I cant believe its a coincidence that putting on 3 stone of muscle on a naturally light body has happened at the same time as regular injuries. That topic is probably for another thread though.

For now though I would consider drafting in Sharples instead of Ashton, or at least get him on the bench and give him a run out.

Very interesting suggestion

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 29 Feb 2012, 2:41 pm

I'll admit I don't have any stats, but when I've got a minute I will write an article and put it to the floor.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Feb 2012, 2:55 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:I think sadly JSD's time has passed. In my opinion he is a prime example of a body which is not designed to carry so much muscle, I cant believe its a coincidence that putting on 3 stone of muscle on a naturally light body has happened at the same time as regular injuries. That topic is probably for another thread though.

Very interesting suggestion

Gavin Henson and Jonny Wilkinson are other notable examples

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 29 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

It's actually quite easy to pile on lean muscle mass while injured, infact in some cases, dependant on what the athlete is being supplemented with, an injury can act as a catalyst.

But as you say another thread another time.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 29 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

B91212 wrote:
king_carlos wrote:I'm one who can honestly say I've never been a huge Ashton fan - yes he's a great finisher but his ground work (i.e. rucking,mauling etc) is often shocking,his passing isn't great and his tackling at times embarrassing. On top of this he's been invisible for the last two games and poor for Northampton most of the season.
Agree that Ashton has been off form all season but don't agree with your views on his passing and tackling. Passing wise I think he is strong off either hand compared to most other wingers (probably thanks to playing League as a youngster) and his defensive play is generally okay and not as bad as many make out. Agree on the rucking, again his League background shows through in this area. His kicking from hand is also inconsistent at best.

His passing is solid if unspectacular - his 'vision','decision making' etc let him down more often giving him less time to make the pass in my opinion.

Forgot about the kicking which is also poor - remember one pretty pointlessly long and inaccurate punt straight to Halfpenny on saturday!

As for the tackling I find that the most annoying part of his game I see as poor. He's very strong and a big guy so should put his man on the ground but often misses simple tackles. One attempt on Matt Smith in the Leicester vs Northampton game shoots to mind for som reason! Smith basically carried Ashton almost 10m to the line if I remember rightly (will try to find a video!).

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:It's actually quite easy to pile on lean muscle mass while injured, infact in some cases, dependant on what the athlete is being supplemented with, an injury can act as a catalyst.

But as you say another thread another time.

I think the point he was making was that the bulking up has added to his perennial injuries
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down