The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh rugby at crossroads

+4
Dave Parade
maestegmafia
Cymroglan
Noble-Surfer
8 posters

Go down

Welsh rugby at crossroads Empty Welsh rugby at crossroads

Post by Noble-Surfer Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

Article on the BBC about Welsh rugby and the challenges it faces, particularly the ongoing problems with regional attendances, and the economic challenges that this is presenting. I've copied the article below:

Welsh rugby at crossroads says WRU chief Roger Lewis

Welsh Rugby Union group chief executive Roger Lewis has said the game in Wales is at a "crossroads."

Wales' four regions are enduring a difficult time with dwindling crowds and star players joining French clubs.

But Lewis believes co-operation between the Union and the regions will be beneficial for the game's long term future.

"We are at a fundamental crossroads in the history of Welsh rugby," said Lewis.

"We are at a critical stage and that's what is so exciting because if we get this right we will come up with something in world rugby that will be the envy of the world.

"We've got to think differently. We cannot think we've just got to fix what's gone on before.

"We've got to come up with something that's far more radical and is far more sustainable that will take our game forward."

While the national side are on a high after winning the Triple Crown and on course for a third Grand Slam in seven years, the regions have endured a difficult time.

The four regions - Cardiff Blues, Newport Gwent Dragons, Scarlets and the Ospreys - have announced a salary cap of £3.5m which will begin at the start of the 2012-13 season, a move welcomed by the WRU.

Amid concerns over "tough economic challenges", the regions hope the cap will ensure greater financial security and allow them to continue to develop young players.

And following joint talks between the four regions and the WRU a financial review is currently being undertaken by accountancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers.

"We've had problems in the past and we have sorted them and I feel this is a problem we can sort out," Lewis said in an interview on BBC Wales' Scrum V programme.
Continue reading the main story

“I passionately believe that if we are inseparable we will be insuperable. That's why I'm confident we will deliver a solution for Welsh rugby”

Roger Lewis WRU gropup chief executive

"The key thing about the review is that it's not going to come up with the answers

"We have got to come up with the answers. We've got to take ownership [and] we've got to take responsibility.

"What the review will give us is information which will help us frame our thinking. We are going to sort this.

"We're going to fix it by working together by displaying a degree of unity which Welsh rugby has never experienced in the past.

"I'm confident by coming together, which we are doing now, we will fix the problems that face us.

"Without doubt they are serious problems but we will fix them for the long term.

"I passionately believe that if we are inseparable we will be insuperable. That's why I'm confident we will deliver a solution for Welsh rugby.

"There's enough money I feel within the game to sort this out. We've committed with our agreement to put some £30m of cash to regional rugby.

"But the way we are going to sort it out is by bringing it together and joining it up and that's why I'm confident we are going to fix it."

A number of high profile players will leave Wales at the end of the season with Gethin Jenkins , L uke Charteris , Huw Bennett and Aled Brew joining French clubs.

They follow Mike Phillips, James Hook and Lee Byrne who left the Ospreys for Bayonne, Perpignan and Clermont respectively at the end of the 2010-11 campaign.

Lewis concedes it will be difficult to prevent players from leaving Wales but says the French model is "unsustainable."

"We need to do everything we can to keep our players here and the way we're going to do it is by working together with our four regions," added Lewis.

"You will not keep all of your players in one country. That simply doesn't happen. People want to experience other things.

"But we must keep as many players as possible here in Wales.

"The way we are going to do that is by creating an environment here in Wales which is so attractive that players simply will not want to leave.

"And underpinning that has to be the finances that we can compete with as many of the clubs, provinces and countries in the world game.

"We won't be able to compete with everyone simply because it's a matter of numbers.

"The salaries that are on offer, particularly in France, are simply unsustainable and also unrealistic.

"I simply think it cannot continue at this pace. We've seen that already in France - Stade Francais was one of the biggest clubs in France with one of the biggest wage bills.

"That has now gone and those players have left. We've seen it time and again [with] numerous other examples.

"It's not sustainable but in the short term it can be extremely attractive for certain players and that's what we need to address."

Just wondering what people think of this? Will the WRU manage to sort something out to make regional rugby in Wales sustainable, or is this just an 'airy fairy' statement to try and convince the public that the WRU are doing all they can?

Noble-Surfer

Back to top Go down

Welsh rugby at crossroads Empty Re: Welsh rugby at crossroads

Post by Cymroglan Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:01 pm

The problem is that the WRU can spend millions but at the end of the day it's the fans that need to change their attitude.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:03 pm

At least there is cooperation... Though I believe it is the guys running the regions who are at blame more than the WRU.

Their attitude needs to change. Fans are fans, they are the only consistent entity here. THey will always want to watch good rugby and be proud of a team, the regions have to give them that.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Parade Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

I PRAY that the WRU and regions can combine to sort this issue out, and I'm inclined to agree that it is the regional game that is causing the bulk of the issues - I don't profess to have the solutions myself, but then again, I'm not in command of all the facts and can only go by what I have read. What I have been reading is that 3 of the 4 are pleading poverty and basicaly begging for more money, which is not a vaible resolution. Of course all fans are only seeking to watch attractive and winning rugby from our regions, but what really irritates me is that some of their benefactors are only making open controversial statements to the press as opposed to having the courage and come out and say what needs to be said and admit that they've got it wrong by not choosing a better path from the outset - if we'd have gone to central contracts at inception, this would not be an issue, and I can assure you that we would have enjoyed similar attendances to that which Ireland enjoy because we would have generated better regional success in all competitions. The only region that I have seen behave with any dignity over this issue is the Scarlets to be fair.

I also pray that in co-operating certain individuals will have the grace to accept that their own pockets may take a slight dent. Afterall, I thought that the regional game had been created to ensure that financially rugby in Wales was sustainable, and also that the player base could be pooled more efficiently to develop players for national honours, and if the benefactors cannot see that and are mearly wishing to line their own pockets then.....quite frankly......then they serve no purpose and will in fact be detremental to long term sustainability.

Dave Parade

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Parade Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

Having said that, there shouldn't be any loss of money for regional benefactors as if Central Contracts come to fruition, they will not be responsible for certain players wages, and if attendances improve, then there coffers should also swell.

And please, no mention of reverting to clubs again - it's not a solution. It's just another cast back to those 'Glory Days' from the 70's that we keep hearing about. It's time to stop living in the past and come up to speed with modern game. THIS Present Wales team, thanks to regional rugby and solid management, is actually not a bad side........

Dave Parade

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Parade Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:57 pm

Sorry, one more thought otherwise this will be read under the guise of a pure rant (though I fear that on that note, I am allready past the PNR), why don't we look at centraly contarcting coaches as well - if there is a player drain abroad, would it not benifit the regions to have coaches / management who have been there and done it to supervise and improve players and coaches alike - perhaps they could be contarcted in an advisory capacity.....didn't Graham Henry put his name forward for such a thing?????

Dave Parade

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 04 Mar 2012, 10:08 pm

Os, blues and dragons need to somehow get vally folk interested. Offering free buses didn't work. How about taking the fayre to them?

Fundamentally though, the rugby has been a bit naf.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 04 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm

central contracts is the way forward, and now the regions are broke they will finally agree to it.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Parade Sun 04 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

If we're going to get people interested then we need marketing. FULL. STOP.

And we need winning regional rugby - any surprise that the Scarlets have enjoyed improved attendances this season? No.

Why? Attractive rugby, still competing in 3 competitions (that maybe 2...not sure about the LV), and good marketing through the use of their assets - they've projected local lads as local heroes, younger generations look up to them. We don't have that in Gwent because rugby is slowly disappearing. And we don't have a very good public transport system to get people down there - this is a whole seperate issue which I don't want to get started on as it's off topic, but there is a good reason the Valley Line by-passes the'Port................ Tumbleweed

Dave Parade

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 04 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm

Another example of getting it Wrong... As a neutral I don't wish to go to an empty stadium to see dan parks kick a penalty where the ball was won by Tito, taking up rush and scooped off the floor by Blair.

Ps isn't this a club rugby thread?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Parade Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:06 am

Isn't it a Welsh Rugby thread? That has been the biggest benefit of the salary cap though - releasing foreign based players who (generally) command higher salaries, which will allow emerging talent to have game time.

The flip side of that is that losing talented players such as Laulala means that the sides are not as strong, and your losing a player of influence in terms of player development. Leinster did this to great effect when they signed Contepomi to help bring along the talent of Sexton.

Dave Parade

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:55 am

Dave Parade wrote:Leinster did this to great effect when they signed Contepomi to help bring along the talent of Sexton.

Leinster signed Contepomi to help themselves, not Sexton. Of course influencing the locals is a byproduct of foreign signings but there ain't no leisure money available to provide big money teachers to the local pupils Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

Roger Lewis as usual said very little except he would like what ever it is by the start of next season! It appears he does not now what it is, he has not ruled out anything but he believe it will revolve around 4 regions, great it looks to me we are no further on than we were 2 years ago except the super clubs are bust, and the WRU spends more on their own salaries alone than two regions get to run their business i.e., £7.8M during 2010! The WRU should look at themselves and cut their expenditure to save £2M and increase the budgets to new proper regions around Wales and look to make other savings working with the regions to rid duplication of effort and resources.

Lewis did say 4 regions but he did not say where they would be or in the current format but I suspect it will be more of the same until the next crisis.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:37 pm

I think this post should be under club rugby!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down