The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GB Olympic Football Squad - Who would you pick?

+3
Thomond
hodge
Il Gialloblu
7 posters

Go down

GB Olympic Football Squad - Who would you pick? Empty GB Olympic Football Squad - Who would you pick?

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:00 pm

With the Euros coming up and talk about which players should be picked, and indeed who should be in charge, I've not really seen much on here about who should be going to the Olympics.

Now, whilst the issue of football actually being at the Olympics is a topic for another thread (this one: https://www.606v2.com/t21900-football-has-no-place-at-the-olympics), the question of who you would include in the squad is something that I must have missed, if it's been discussed on here before.

I read an article on the BBC today about FIFA Secretary general Jerome Valcke (who?) telling Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to not worry about losing their international status and it got me thinking about the make up of the squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17254225

So, what would you do? Would you include (English) players who will have been involved in the Euros just one month earlier? Bearing in mind that the 18-man squad has to mainly consist of players under 23 years old, with just 3 over-age players, who would you be choosing?

I'm going to do that annoying thing now of putting a question out there without giving an answer of my own. In my defence though, I have been out of the country for 3 years and am a Mansfield Town fan so I'm not really up to date with the up-and-coming stars of British football.

One thing that I can be sure of however is that if I were in charge, I would include one Ryan Giggs as one of my over-age players. 50% because he can still perform to the highest level and 50% because he deserves to play in one international tournament before he retires, having missed all of the others due to his country not qualifying during his time of international football.

So, over to you.

18 British players, only 3 of them over 22. Who's getting on the plane train to London?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

GB Olympic Football Squad - Who would you pick? Empty Re: GB Olympic Football Squad - Who would you pick?

Post by hodge Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:23 am

3 over 23's, Giggs, Scholes and Bellamy, unless you want to use an over 23 spot on a keeper, McGregor the scot maybe, then tbh you look to Ramsey and Bale from wales. People not picked by england for euros. Cleverley, oxlade-chamberlin, wilshere, gibbs and kyle walker if they dont go. Then the likes of clyne maybe, henri lansbury, steven caulker. Just to name a few.

hodge

Back to top Go down

GB Olympic Football Squad - Who would you pick? Empty Re: GB Olympic Football Squad - Who would you pick?

Post by Thomond Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

From what I understand, clubs don't have to rlease playewrs for the Olympics as it is not a Fifa event, would English Clubs be willing to do it?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

its not a long event so I can't see clubs being too upset tbh as its getting them game time during the summer. As long as they get enough rest time so they are not tired for the start of the season it shouldnt be a worry.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Sat 17 Mar 2012, 9:55 am

First job, make Scholes captain, as much to stop the silly idea of a Euros spot as the obvious reasons, that he's one of the best players of his generation and he seems to be the ideal role model for younger players and kids.
Then any player eligible by age who wouldn't be guaranteed a start at the Euros should be 'nudged' into this squad by the FA and told in no uncertain terms that refusal to represent GB would mean a 5 year ban for England too.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:23 pm

Becks?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:49 pm

This is something very quick I've come up with:

---------------Amos----------------
-Walker/Kelly-Bennett-Wilson-Established LB
-Forrest-Beckham (c)-Ramsey-Giggs-Bale-
---------------Rhodes--------------

Phil Neville at LB maybe?

Last edited by TSC on Sun 18 Mar 2012, 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:52 pm

Ben Amos

Kyle Walker
Bennett
Evans
Bale

Forrest
Beckham
Ramsey
Giggs

Chamberlain
Rhodes
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 18 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm

Is this Bennett, Ryan Bennett!!!
I'd definately have Grant Holt as well
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down