The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shockingly no Scots make the Olympic squad

+9
Dr Gregory House MD
drsambo1928
LivinginItaly
Crimey
Calder106
monty junior
The Special Juan
RinoGattuso
GSC
13 posters

Go down

Shockingly no Scots make the Olympic squad Empty Shockingly no Scots make the Olympic squad

Post by GSC Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Says alot about Scottish football that a. David Beckham missing out is a bigger story than their whole country and b. they can't break a squad of English and Welsh reserve players.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Shockingly no Scots make the Olympic squad Empty Re: Shockingly no Scots make the Olympic squad

Post by RinoGattuso Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Meh, Team GB will get hammered anyway.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Shockingly no Scots make the Olympic squad Empty Re: Shockingly no Scots make the Olympic squad

Post by The Special Juan Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:20 pm

We don't have anyone U-23 anyway. But the Scottish players still have the same chance of winning a medal as Team GB Whistle
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Bannan and Fletcher were definetely worth a place. It's a non event anyway though.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 pm

monty junior wrote:Bannan and Fletcher were definetely worth a place. It's a non event anyway though.

I agree. Football has no place at the Olympics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Olympic football is a non-event that hasnt captured the imagination of the fans and it's a shame because there's going to be some very talented footballers on show especially from Spain and the favourites Brazil. Something like 1.2m tickets unsold tells you everything you need to know.......

Fletcher probably deserved a spot but Pearce has got his favourites.

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Suits me. Have never trusted the FIFA guarantees that having a Team GB will not cause them to try and make sure the nations are merged sometime in the future.

Having said that I'll be supporting Team GB competitors in all sports at the Olympics whichever nation they come from.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:05 pm

It's supposed to be team GB, and Scotland and NI should have been part of team GB in the football considering it is the flagship sport of Britain ... unless this has something to do with FIFA voting rights etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Nore Staat wrote:It's supposed to be team GB, and Scotland and NI should have been part of team GB in the football considering it is the flagship sport of Britain ... unless this has something to do with FIFA voting rights etc.

Or it might just be Pearce picking who he feels are the best players.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:36 pm

Crimey wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:It's supposed to be team GB, and Scotland and NI should have been part of team GB in the football considering it is the flagship sport of Britain ... unless this has something to do with FIFA voting rights etc.

Pearce is just picking players in the Premiership and top half of the Championship divisions of England.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:58 am

Nore Staat wrote:
Crimey wrote:

Pearce is just picking players in the Premiership and top half of the Championship divisions of England.

Because they're playing at a higher level than those in the Scottish Premier League or the Northern Irish leagues or the Welsh leagues.

I don't like this idea that Pearce should be forced to select at least a player from each country, he's allowed to pick whoever he wants from the four nations and he's picked who he feels are the best players. I don't any of the other sports put in a Scottish, NI and Welsh people in their teams just because it's "team" GB

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I don't think Fletcher is actually available.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:I don't think Fletcher is actually available.

And I'd doubt Fergie would make him available either.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Doesn't have that illness that threatened his career or something?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Doesn't have that illness that threatened his career or something?

The Scotland captaincy? Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Think that Monty was talking about Steven Fletcher currently of Wolves He has fallen out with the Scotland manager and is no longer considered for the international team.. Not Darren Fletcher.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Yeah, it was Steven Fletcher who was on the possible list.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Will we be having the same discussion if no scottish athletes are selected for the 4x100 relay team?

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:48 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:Will we be having the same discussion if no scottish athletes are selected for the 4x100 relay team?

Exactly.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:47 pm

In fairness the only non English players are going to be from Wales. Scotland have no one good enough to be in a british team.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 pm

I'm not not shocked or overly dissapointed that no Scots have been selected but for discussions sake I would say that Grant Holt and Wayne Rooney (who can't play by virtue of being at the Euros) aside no British player scored more Premier League goals than Steven Fletcher, Jordan Rhodes has been banging them in for fun for newly promoted Huddersfield and the Scotland Jr's, Danny Wilson showed something that made Liverpool want to sign him and he has international and European experiance (I will be interested to see who Peirce selects given Jones was at the Euros and Smalling is injured),Barry Bannan is also someone who has shown the potential to do something a little special and has 1st team experiance for Aston Villa and the Scottish national team and lastly and most contraversially, Aside from Joe Hart who has been at the Euros I don't believe there is a better goalkeeper in Britian than Allan McGregor, stunningly assured and has emerged from Craig Gordon's shadow which no one would have expected following the latters move to Sunderland, has international and european experiance (including a trip to the UEFA cup final), he should also be keen to flash his wears to potential sutiors now he has been released from Rangers, would definatly have taken him as an O-23 player in front of Giggs given the relative quality of U-23 midfielders to those of keepers.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:30 am

It is stupid nonsense how the two countries are left out. Perhaps someone has an agenda against someone else?

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:43 am

FreekShow wrote:
monty junior wrote:Bannan and Fletcher were definetely worth a place. It's a non event anyway though.

I agree. Football has no place at the Olympics.

Disagree with you there. Football should be involved by default for all to enjoy although seeing the comment about the 1.2M tickets being unsold does make one wonder, if it is true ofcourse, but you also have your not-so-square fifa officials who, because of politics, ruin it for all.

Team GB should be good to watch and I wish them well.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:53 am

Riggs wrote:It is stupid nonsense how the two countries are left out. Perhaps someone has an agenda against someone else?

What? Rubbish. Pearce shouldn't have to pick a quota of people from the four countries, no other sport has to do that, so why would the football side by any different?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Is it down to politics? If so then it's proof that sport and politics don't mix well but if it's not down to pc then what it is......national pride?

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:11 pm

to a lot of Scots, Britain is England and don't want the association. Scots are loved most places, as are the Irish, English aren't, therfore people want to keep their own identity. May not be most politically correct thing to say but way many think. Scots players would have gotten stick in squad from fans

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Colan (niner) wrote:to a lot of Scots, Britain is England and don't want the association. Scots are loved most places, as are the Irish, English aren't, therfore people want to keep their own identity. May not be most politically correct thing to say but way many think. Scots players would have gotten stick in squad from fans
So it is down to pc and this hatred people see in Englishmen? I've asked many others about this and so so many speak of a pc element, personally I can't stand pc and wish it would die. I hate to say this but in my experience the only hatred from any Scot towards any Englishman is given air time by mainstream media and we all know they're as biased as hell. I know many Scots and am proud to say that I'm friends with them and we visit each other.
I simply hope this hatred isn't carried on from the days of kings and castles, Arthur and merlin times.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:26 pm

I have many English family but still against England any time it comes to football haha . Best example I can give is this, I was in Paris for 2006 world cup. England were playing and because me and my parents were sitting there, the french randomly started signing flower of scotland during the game. Just an example of why Scots fans don't like the English association, they get treated better without it

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Colan (niner) wrote:to a lot of Scots, Britain is England and don't want the association. Scots are loved most places, as are the Irish, English aren't, therfore people want to keep their own identity. May not be most politically correct thing to say but way many think. Scots players would have gotten stick in squad from fans
Yes I love that. It seems most Scottish Nationalists think they're trying to get independence from England.

Er, you're not, you're trying to get independence from the UK. Laugh 

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Independance will never happen, I prefer not to be asscociated with England as we are actually liked;) but seriously I know very few people that want it. As a nation, Scotland is as passionate as it gets but problem with that is we have a complex because we are a small country. I'm Scottish, not British in my eyes, most English people I know would say British first, that's a big difference

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:51 pm

I understand that during the 90's English men and boys were a total detriment to their own countries reputation but I'd have hoped it wouldn't stick.

I've become used to the uniqueness of the Scottish people and have seen the beauty that is a result of English/Scottish ways combined. I hope as many Scots join in team work with the English...because believe it or not I've seen the effects when such things happen......they're quite positively powerful.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Colan (niner) wrote:Independance will never happen, I prefer not to be asscociated with England as we are actually liked;) but seriously I know very few people that want it. As a nation, Scotland is as passionate as it gets but problem with that is we have a complex because we are a small country. I'm Scottish, not British in my eyes, most English people I know would say British first, that's a big difference
Bloody lefties!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Colan (niner) wrote:Independance will never happen, I prefer not to be asscociated with England as we are actually liked;) but seriously I know very few people that want it. As a nation, Scotland is as passionate as it gets but problem with that is we have a complex because we are a small country. I'm Scottish, not British in my eyes, most English people I know would say British first, that's a big difference
Bloody lefties!
Not me. I'm English.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:02 pm

A word of positive = Danny Bhoy, Scottish man, very funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFubsxHTApw
The video just above is an interesting and funny example of some Scots.

He makes me laugh anyway. He has good ball skills but isn't a footballer.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:12 pm

this is more accurate reflection of what happens in a scot bar. Not really but clip amuses me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3E7UkIzt4

Admittedly Scots are very different to what I've down south or anywhere else. Much smaller place so bigger sense of community and thats why Scotland very much cares about number one it seems. I also think attitudes are entirely different, mental toughness in Scotland is part of the makeup, hence why Glaswegian football managers rule the world.. Unfortunately neds are 10x worse than chavs and ruin it all

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Colan (niner) wrote:this is more accurate reflection of what happens in a scot bar. Not really but clip amuses me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3E7UkIzt4

Admittedly Scots are very different to what I've down south or anywhere else. Much smaller place so bigger sense of community and thats why Scotland very much cares about number one it seems. I also think attitudes are entirely different, mental toughness in Scotland is part of the makeup, hence why Glaswegian football managers rule the world.. Unfortunately neds are 10x worse than chavs and ruin it all
Interesting video with funny accents. As we all know cinema always hypes things right up for entertainment reasons.....I just hope drink doesn't have too much of an effect on most if not all Scots. For another bit of funny and positive humour I refer all to Al Murray who comments, endearingly, on the differences in the Scottish. He talks of the differences between Glaswegians and the people of Edinburgh.

I'm doubtful that team GB will go far...infact team GB will probably fold quicker than most of us can predict.

Last edited by Riggs on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:50 pm

SAF and David moyes are a great example of Scottish/English work.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Al Murray is verry funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX98LGnvc1E

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Though Robin Williams on Scots is the best imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi-JlvBCl3A

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down