The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread

+8
manofgwent
JayMaster3000
HammerofThunor
Shifty
Glas a du
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
GavinDragon
12 posters

Go down

Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread Empty Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread

Post by GavinDragon Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:28 am

With the need to attract more fans to make the regions more sustainable, some on the boards have mentioned the possibility of playing the welsh derbies as a double header on the same day at the millenium stadium much like some of the london clubs do at twickenham...

I am massively in favour of this as i believe it (with the right marketing) could draw a bumper crowd, be a great day out and potentially result in an increase in long term support for the regions. Id like to see it perhaps once a year, either at the begginning or end of season (when weather is good) and as a dragons supporter would be happy to forgo home advantage to stage a game there in exchange for more revenue from a bigger crowd (potentially)...

was wondering what other peoples ideas/thoughts were on this?

the attendances at all the regions are falling would it not be worth trying it once to see if it works?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread Empty Re: Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:38 am

Gavin,

I think its a split decision on this.

I have been lucky enough to go to the London double header at Twickenham and its a great day and great atmosphere.

I have said for some time that we should at least give it a go with our Regions, if it doesn't work its only one home game that the relevant 'home' sides have missed out on but there would surely be greater tv revenue and gate reciept etc.

My prefered time would be the nearest Staurday to St Davids day but the main problem with that is that it falls within the 6 Nations window so most of the big names would be away with the Welsh squad and it might not get as big a crowd.

I still think its worth a try, do it as a season opener.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread Empty Re: Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread

Post by GavinDragon Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:42 am

yea agree, it has to be at a time when the games on offer are at the highest standard with the most internationals on offer IMO only that will attract the floating fan...

could even see the poster now mr north, adam jones, warburton and faletau in regional colours in front of MS Super Saturday/Sunday.....

when do the playoffs start? are they before the easter bank hol weekend? or after if after could do it on a sunday then you would be able to attract club players who play on saturday and cnt usually go to regional games...

and youd be hapy for dragons to lose home advantge bedford?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:49 am

Gav,

If it helped market our Regional came overall then yeah, after all its only one game and hopefully the extra revenue would compensate.

There will be some fans that would only go and watch the game involving their own Region but I reckon majority would stay.

Before the Regions I went to the SWALEC Cup Semi final double header as Ebbw were playing Llanelli and it was a great day, like said some went after that game and others came in for the 2nd game but majority stayed and as Ebbw were underdogs most of the neutral fans were supporting us.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:18 am

I think it could work out. HOwever I do thing that

a) It would have to be the Dragons V Scarlets/Ospreys and Blues V Scarlets/Ospreys. The reasoning behind this is that I think the Blues/Dragons and the Scarlets/Ospreys derby matches draw big enough crowds as it is, and they are occations for the regions that being at home is a bigger deal. Also I would rather it be classed as the home game for the Blues and Dragons as well as the MS is far closer to their home grounds, and a heap easier to get to for their fans.

b) The match would have to be played during a period when all the internationals would be available in order to make it a real opertunity to see all of the welsh stars, as well as some of the non-welsh stars for the regions too.

I do believe that a double header could pull in a full MS, however I do have reservations about the dort of crowd it would draw, and if it would actually have any effect on the support for the regions. I think it would end up as a suits/networkers event. Whilst the international matches have gone this way, it is not as bad, as the suits only need to remember who 15 men are in order not to totally miff off everyone around them, where as in teh double header they would probably only know 5-6 of the players from 2 or 3 of the sides, and most likely end up being a pain in the more loyal regional fans rump.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:21 am

GavinDragon wrote:when do the playoffs start? are they before the easter bank hol weekend? or after if after could do it on a sunday then you would be able to attract club players who play on saturday and cnt usually go to regional games...

Play offs this are in May, so its a way off Easter this season (April 6th-9th). Easter Sunday would be a good time, as it is a bank holiday so more folk should be around. And it works for the Boxing Day/New Years matches pretty well like that too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:15 am

No. They cant fill it when Wales play South Africa!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:31 am

Glas a du wrote:No. They cant fill it when Wales play South Africa!

Glas,

I very much doubt if the tickets would be £60+ a pop though, so that might have something to do with it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:35 am

I think it's a good idea and could work, but the scheduling would be chaotic.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:45 am

Is it possible to open the season with it? Avoid the Christmas period as they usually sell well anyway. I'd say give it a crack. Don't expect a sell out, the London double header has increased year on year and didn't start as big as it is now. Would the WRU be willing to take costs and give the rest to the regions? I think it would be a nice way to mark the start to a new season. It's a shame St David's is during the 6 nations.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:49 am

Hammer,

For the sake of one game we have nothing to lose by giving it a shot, like I said and as you commented, St Davids Day would have been ideal but for it to work you need all the big players available.

Open the season with it and see where it goes from there, the London one didn't sell out at first but has grown over the years.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:28 am

Hi Gavin!! Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread 3933776953

I think it is a great idea. Makes perfect sense in my humble opinion.

I agree though that it should count towards a Blues home game and perhaps Dragons home game.

If this was to go ahead though it can put the xmas derby matches in danger. For me Ospreys Vs Scarlets has been regular for me the last two-three years. And they pull in big crowds so if it is not broken...

Also there is harm in doing it. Did everyone see Scrum V? There was another interview with that charismatic genuine all round nice guy Roger Lewis who said things are really that bad. So what is there to loose?

I think it could be a sell out if done probably, and marketed well. Let's not beat around the bush, in Wales rugby is an excuse to drink/get drunk. For you guys the 6nations are just 5 St. Paddy days.

So. I think market the game first of all as a all day event with lots of things going on in the pubs and clubs before and after the game. Lots of bars in and around the stadium should be put up. Open the Arms Park and put bouncy castle and what not out for the rug rats and families (at a reasonably price of course)
What I would also do is try to do is play the game during freshers week for the unis. Trust me when I say I have seen Gavin as a student, if you serve it, they/he will come.
Students will come to this if put at the start of the season. Also each region could adopt a uni? So a few Dragon players could come up to the Glamorgan campus to win over the neutrals.

If the WRU and the regions can grantee that the internationals will be out and each ticket is the same as a region ticket, say £15 why should it not sell out? Maybe the WRU should demand that no club rugby s played on that weekend so that even if players don't go you are sure of a big T.V. audience, what of course will then have sponsors sniffing around.

Bye Gavin!! Welsh Region Millenium Double Header - Ideas and Discussion thread 3933776953

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 am

'What I would also do is try to do is play the game during freshers week for the unis. Trust me when I say I have seen Gavin as a student, if you serve it, they/he will come.
Students will come to this if put at the start of the season. Also each region could adopt a uni? So a few Dragon players could come up to the Glamorgan campus to win over the neutrals.'

cheers for that jason...

although the uni idea is good, the blues should atten glamorgan, dragons newport uni and more importantly coleg gwent and their affiliates whom they already have good ties with on the playing front, swansea uni and swansea met for the o's and aberyswyth, trinity college (carmarthen) for the turks....

ooh yes would love to see it on an easter sunday if that was the case then....could be a real opportunity!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:34 am

It's a really good idea. I do think it would be a great way to kick off the season. As said above, the Christmas games are well attended, as long as Rodney Parade isn't covered in snow, ice or rain!!!
I also think there would be a better turn out on a sunny Saturday in September and travel would be far easier than then than in the holiday period.
Every region has several thousand die-hard fans and even though the Dragons have been the weakest region for quite a few years, we still get a guaranteed 5,000 fans. We and I'd imagine the rest of the regions really need to attract the casual fan. In the current economic climate and with a mass exodus of top talent out of the regional game trying to increase crowd numbers is a real challenge. If marketed correctly with decent kick off times for families and reasonable ticket prices, I'm sure it would be a success.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:15 am

Season starter gets my vote!Cracking idea.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:33 am

You'd want your best players available and at the start of the season they may not be. Shouldn't be a problem pulling in the crowd though, everyone likes a day in the capital.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:32 am

Just had a thought (and yes it hurt). Would it make sense to have the double header just before the HC stages in Jan? After all the Welsh squad for the six nations is usually named after the first set of HC games in Jan, so a double header the week before could work out as an ideal way to have an unofficial team trials day. The fans would see all the international boys, and hopeful international boys, giving it their best in the hopes of making the cut when the squad is announced a fortnight after.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:58 am

SS - that would risk the traditional xmas derbies which everyone loves and currently are the biggest games in the calender.

Maybe after the 6N's for Easter sunday when all the casual fans are still buzzing from a (hopefully) good 6N's campaign, have Monday off work, and it's starting to get really competitive in ther Rabo12 for Playoff/HEC spots.

Then (if I'm right about the schedule) after the big MS games it would be into the HEC later stages for 1 or 2 of our regions to keep the interest going.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:27 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Just had a thought (and yes it hurt). Would it make sense to have the double header just before the HC stages in Jan? After all the Welsh squad for the six nations is usually named after the first set of HC games in Jan, so a double header the week before could work out as an ideal way to have an unofficial team trials day. The fans would see all the international boys, and hopeful international boys, giving it their best in the hopes of making the cut when the squad is announced a fortnight after.

I don't want to open a can of worms but play-offs and the week before the HC is the only time we get full teams in the League. So we should have another occasion, or excuse, to pull out all the big guns. I'm not saying it is a Micky Mouse league but it is annoying watching 2nd string teams most of the time. I think if it was to happen then the start of the season would be the best.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:30 am

We really need to split the season into segments so that the teams can fully concentrate on the league for a set period and we'll mostly have full strength sides, then the AI's, then the League, then HEC, and then 6N's and so on.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:57 am

The question should be asked, if it's such a great idea to have a double header at the MS, then why haven't we had one to date?
Maybe it has something to do with £££'s?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down