The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh regions double-header at the Millenium stadium this year

+25
Feckless Rogue
glamorganalun
HERSH
Casartelli
Welshmushroom
profitius
LordDowlais
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
XR
HammerofThunor
youngguns6
sheephead
BigTrevsbigmac
maestegmafia
wales606
Cari
Smirnoffpriest
Morgannwg
bedfordwelsh
GavinDragon
Impossible Standards
Kingshu
ScarletSpiderman
gowales
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Welsh regions double-header at the Millenium stadium this year Empty Welsh regions double-header at the Millenium stadium this year

Post by gowales Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

WALES'S regions are set to stage a double-header at the Millennium Stadium in the coming rugby season.

The Pro12 league matches will see the Blues taking on the Ospreys and the Dragons meeting the Scarlets.

Details of the games are likely to be announced at a press conference in Cardiff tomorrow, hosted jointly by Regional Rugby Wales and the Welsh Rugby Union.

A deal has reportedly been struck to guarantee that the double-header will be held annually over the next four years.

The regions will hope to emulate the success of leading sides in England, who have attracted crowds of more than 50,000 for bumper Twickenham encounters on the same day.

The professional sides in Wales are unlikely to take it in turns to act as hosts, with the Ospreys and the Scarlets apparently reluctant to ask their supporters to travel to Cardiff for home fixtures.

So the Millennium Stadium games are expected to count as home dates for the Blues and Dragons, with the pair sharing the gate receipts.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Regions-battle-stadium-double-headers/story-16771150-detail/story.html

Good to see.

Can't see big crowds for the first few years though.
What are your opinions? Do you like this idea? Is it unfair on supporters to travel? Is there any point? Will the Welsh internationals even play in it?

Last edited by gowales on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Repeated words)

gowales

Back to top Go down

Welsh regions double-header at the Millenium stadium this year Empty Re: Welsh regions double-header at the Millenium stadium this year

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:48 pm

Last weekend of March? No internationals available, not really expecting too many to be turning up.

Sadly it is a decent enough idea, just seems like the timing will suck (and will the TV be too happy with it either).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Welsh regions double-header at the Millenium stadium this year Empty Re: Welsh regions double-header at the Millenium stadium this year

Post by Kingshu Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:52 pm

To be honest if marketed well, with cheap prices, all the regions could benifit.

Imagine the TV showing a packed Mill Stad, as 4 local teams go full on, (hopefully all the international players will be on show).

People who would only watch the 6 nations but not any regional games would be tempted to tune in, then they may be more inclined to attend games to see what the regions are like after.

[don't think this would work in Ireland, said Munster V Connacht and Leinster V Ulster, NLR can hold 50,000, but you would get 18,000 in RDS and 25.000 in Thomond, for these anyway, so only 7000 more roughly, also you would be asking Munsster, Connacht or Ulster to give up home advantage each year which none of them would want to. Plus NLR can be sold out for Leinster V Munster games on its own, no need for a double header]

Scotland may be able to try it with Edinburh V ? and Glasgow V ? on the same day (if its two Irish teams Ulster and Munster/Leinster it could do well) but why would Glasgow ever want to give up home advantage?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm

Its official:

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/23068.php
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:59 pm

£25 a ticket?

Bit pricey for me that and I think for a lot of others as well. For the MS and for getting big crowds they'd have been better placed looking to set prices at say £15.

I can't see either sets of fans wanting to stay for the other game either, not when the pubs are so close and will have much cheaper options than the MS.

Also as a Scarlet I am gutted we aren't going to have a game at Dave Parade this year, tis one of the best away trips in the league Sad

I suppose it's a good idea, and it had to be tried, but it's not one I particularly like.

Could turn into a cracking day out, but will be ridiculously pricey, especially coming at the end of the international period.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

i have been calling for something liek this more than most so i shouldnt complain, and i wont but i do share concerns over the time of the year its played and price of ticket and at least the WRU are trying someting different

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:12 pm

I have said for a while now that we should at least give this a chance and I hope its supported.

I have been lucky enough to go to the London double headers to kick of the English season and its a great out.

Nearest Saturday to St Davids day would have been great but I know that falls during 6 Nations so big names won't be available.

Hopefully the Regions will fully support it and put strongest possible sides out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:14 pm

It's about time they tried this. Why not at christmas though?

The price is reasonable IMO.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:14 pm

Also if marketed and supported properly I don't think £25 is to much for two big derby games
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:17 pm

if my facebook feed is anyting to go by this appears to have attracted the floating fan already, a number of my mates who dont go to matches normally have said theyd be going

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:23 pm

If they want this to be a success then the internationals NEED to be playing.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:24 pm

Morgannwg wrote:It's about time they tried this. Why not at christmas though?

The price is reasonable IMO.

Yea i was thinking that as well. That's when the regions get their best home crowds though so they'd probably want to keep it at home.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

How can the internationals be played though right off the back of the 6N's and just before HEC rounds? they need to be rested at some point!

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm

This could be a really good day out, I'd certainly be up for it as long as there is strongish sides and the WRU don't try and r*** the fans with £50+ prices

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:How can the internationals be played though right off the back of the 6N's and just before HEC rounds? they need to be rested at some point!

Hence re-enforcing my original point about the date of this fixture. It was quite simple to be honest, removed sexist comment. I'm not sure if it will take off this season, perhaps we'd be looking at 20-30,000 strong crowd with that hopefully doubling the year after (if the fixture is rescheduled for when the internationals can play).

Last edited by Morgannwg on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Coming back to this and yet again noticing RD's poor moderation. Someone pls have a word. Morg x)
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:32 pm

Christmas or St Davids day would have been best time but its a start if it kicks off and gains interest then move it in future seasons
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:34 pm

Morg - if you were going for the joke angle with that woman comment - it didn't work butt.

Christmas derby's would never work as both of the O's and Scarlets won't give up their home games then, they are guaranteed sell outs at their respective stadiums. It would always have to be the east Wales teams to use the MS as a double header home venue too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:50 pm

removed sexist comment. Warning to Morg: any more sexist comments and you will be banned.

I don't see why the O's or Scarlets would not want to. They could get more fans that way, as the Ospreys have fans outside the Region they could find it easier to Cardiff, with the stadium right on the doorstep of the train/bus station. Shame there isn't a train service for fans from the north to make their way down.

Last edited by Morgannwg on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FYI; You're supposed to leave your nametag when you edit a comment, poor moderation.)
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:53 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Christmas or St Davids day would have been best time but its a start if it kicks off and gains interest then move it in future seasons

Yes that is most likely. Just wondering how much interest it will have this time around though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:40 pm

I don't like this as a Dragons supporter, as I fail to see how it benefits us giving up a game at RP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:53 pm

This is one of those things that sounds great in theory, but in practice it's a case of wait and see what happens when it's done. However, three teams are always going to miss out whatever time they did it because of the venue. I'm guessing the organisers are working on the assumption that the MS is the home of Welsh rugby and therefore "home" for all regions, but I appreciate not everyone will see it as such. The cynic in me says this is just another marketing ploy from the WRU to make money and sod all with unifying Welsh rugby... Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:25 pm

I don't see why they don't do the double header as a season opener 2nd or 3rd week in September (from next year obviously). Then all the teams would have most of their internationals (except for WC years), the public would be starved and ready for rugby after the summer, and it would set the season off with a bang, bringing in fair weather fans and getting non-rugby fans excited meaning they are more likely to go to games.

Morg - while you could say this game would attract fans outside of the teams individual regions, that's only true if they live in the valleys or Cardiff (or Vale), to make it worthwhile having those fans they'd still need to be able to make it down to PyS, Liberty, Dave, as 1 game a year won't make any difference. For fans in Aberystwyth, Bangor, Abergavenny, or Ystradgynlais it makes it far harder to get to the game.

Obviously doesn't hurt the Scarlets/Ospreys to have their Away game moved, but it would be a big loss for their home game to be moved 60miles down the road, especially one of their guarenteed sell outs.

Still the WRU are under writing it which is good, and hopefully will mean the regions gain money instead of lose, and lots of interest is generated.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:26 pm

I hope that the internationals are played (event though its just after the 6 nations - they can rest the next week) - It would do a lot to bring in fans if they can go and see all those 6N internationals a week later for only £25 compared to a 6N ticket -- if its marketed as such, it could be huge, and we could see sell-out crowds in a couple of years.

I'm tempted to get the train back down to Cardiff just to go watch (which I would never bother with the hassle and travel time for just a Blues vs O's derby on an international weekend, especially if its televised)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:28 pm

Cari wrote:This is one of those things that sounds great in theory, but in practice it's a case of wait and see what happens when it's done. However, three teams are always going to miss out whatever time they did it because of the venue. I'm guessing the organisers are working on the assumption that the MS is the home of Welsh rugby and therefore "home" for all regions, but I appreciate not everyone will see it as such. The cynic in me says this is just another marketing ploy from the WRU to make money and sod all with unifying Welsh rugby... Rolling Eyes

Well the Blues are at home, don't even have to cross a road.

I imagine the Dragons and Scarlets will interchange whose home game it is (or have the Dragons caved to always it as their home game as they are closer?), but no doubt it will be worth it financially if they pull it off.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:32 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I don't like this as a Dragons supporter, as I fail to see how it benefits us giving up a game at RP.

Rev,

I am guessing the Regions will share the increased gate and possible tv revenue
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:32 pm

Sounds like a great day out for everyone..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I don't see why they don't do the double header as a season opener 2nd or 3rd week in September (from next year obviously). Then all the teams would have most of their internationals (except for WC years), the public would be starved and ready for rugby after the summer, and it would set the season off with a bang, bringing in fair weather fans and getting non-rugby fans excited meaning they are more likely to go to games.

A good idea, it would probably attract some more Wales fans, but a lot of casual fans only watch the Six Nations (those who watch all the summer tours tent to already be club supporters), having it straight after the 6N will pull it a lot of the casual 6N fans who want a bit more rugby - and if the club games are exciting it might result in more bums on seats in the regions stadia (particularly for the Arms Park hopefully Smile)

I heard about this idea a few weeks ago, but was told one of the regions was refusing to be involved, not sure who it was, but they have obviously been convinced to join which is good news.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:34 pm

The London Double Header works brilliantly and is a great day out with a good atmosphere although you tend to find most fans only stay to watch their own club game.

I think it works as a season curtain raiser as all fans have expectations & hope for the new season & of course we have full strength teams.

The timing of the Rabo DH seems strange to me but hopefully it will catch on.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

As an osprey fan who would find it easier to get to Cardiff it sounds good. But, I would be surprised if any region other than the blues who would want it unless the financial reward was massive. Can't understand why a team would give up home advantage. When the Aviva does it I thought it was the London based clubs only so its a home game for all?

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm

Although 3 of them aren't London based, only Quins are in London. The 3 teams with London in their name do not play in London. I think Sarries, Wasps and Irish are the other 3 participants?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm

"Risca Rev wrote:
I don't like this as a Dragons supporter, as I fail to see how it benefits us giving up a game at RP."

Totally agree. Really unhappy about this. Home advantage is massive for us. I don't want to go watch the dragons sitting in a almost empty stadium that will cost me money to get to when I could be on a packed hazel terrace with a pint of rubbish bitter!

I take it it's free for season ticket holders? Is anyone bothered about the other game? I'd probably watch both but with no internationals how many people (actual rugby fans) will go?

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:20 pm

So the blues left the CCS because it with only a few K they couldn't generate an atmosphere... So let's move to a bigger ground? Nonsense!

If it was the Scarlets away turn I'd be over the moon.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:50 pm

I did say elsewhere, that maybe a change of venue from RP might be the catalyst we need to beat the Scarlets at home Smile

I just don't see how it works really. I can't wait to see what they do with regards to the seating, especially if they sell it so four sets of supporters are in at once. I think with tv coverage etc, it could be a bit of a farce.

Two East v West clashes are pretty good ideas though, as the true local derbies (O v S and B v D) can also remain as two games which likely give each region their best chance of selling out. Pretty gutted to lose a trip to PYS next season mind (in the likely event of a fixture swap in 2013-14 season). I love a stopover in Llanelli.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 29 Aug 2012, 5:58 am

The London DH is always well attended & you tend to get a large number of neutrals & families go along as the catchment area is so big.

Clubs effectively give up their home advantage to play this fixture so there are pros & cons. As it certainly swells the coffers & boosts the average home gate.
Whistle

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 29 Aug 2012, 7:46 am

Except Quins. They refused to give up home advantage and therefore they're always an away side (apparently, it was something I read and I haven't checked against the past fixtures).

All the 'London' clubs are 'based' in London, they just don't play their games there (Sarries are moving back in Feb (?)). However Quins are based within walking distance of Twickenham; which is the equivalent of the Blues (and if the first bit of this post is true then they don't count it as a home game).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:35 am

youngguns6 wrote:So the blues left the CCS because it with only a few K they couldn't generate an atmosphere... So let's move to a bigger ground? Nonsense!

Derp Derp Derp picard

I'm happy with this, Season Ticket holders get in free for Dregs & Blues and we both get a greater share of the gate as we're the "home team".

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:47 am

But the Dragons will lose all sense of home advantage. Getting a greater share of the gate won't compensate for that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:37 am

For one game, which has the potential to be double your normal gate receipts? Not to mention bar money and extra ticket sales from fans who don't normally go to dragons games but are from the gwent area?

I think the fact that the roles are reversed each year will compensate for that.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:42 am

The fact that you're using the word 'potential' says a lot. None of this is guaranteed, especially seeing as our international players are unlikely to feature.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:09 am

Does anyone know what Wales's last game of the Six Nations is ? Not all international players will make the matchday squad , they'll be some and Faletau will play regardless if he played the International game or not
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:23 am

Are the roles reversed next year? I can't see the o's or scarlets giving up a home derby game, doesn't make sense for them to either.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:24 am

I'm going. Ale Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:25 am

Ospreys and Scarlets refused to I believe , its a great idea but Dragons giving up home advantage could be a problem
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:54 am

Good idea. Good for Welsh rugby and the league.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:56 am

25 quid for two regional games is a steel in my opinion, that is just £12.50 per game and in the MS and a good day out in the capital, come on what are people problems with this, get your backsides down there and stop moaning for a change. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

Why isn't it at the beginning of the season? If it's because the deal wasn't done in time then fine. Otherwise I don't see a reason. One given before was because the internationals may not be available at the start of the season due to the tour. But that's doesn't matter if the other option is during the 6 nations.

As a build up game to get the season off to a start it seems like a good idea.

PS Would the clubs get bar money? Wouldn't that go to the WRU with the ticket sales going to the home regions?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:01 am

Dowlais, if the double-header had been arranged for the opening weekend of the season or for around Christmas time, I'd be much keener on it.

I understand you don't support any one region, so I'm sure it's great from your perspective; but we're losing out on a home game here.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:05 am

Hammer - I think any profit made goes to the wru, so not really sure what the regions get from it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:08 am

I thought I read in the BBC article that the annual double header would be the East teams home game, as if it was the Scarlets home game you could be asking fans to make a 240 mile round trip to go to their Home game! And there's more chance of the 6-8,000 Dragons fans going 12 to 20 miles down the road (on good transport links) to the MS than there is of the West regions fans going between 20 - 150 miles down the road (assuming the closest Ospreys fans are in Brigend).

But I agree no team wants to lose their Home game, especially the Dragons with the intimidating atmosphere of the Dave - though as a enticement I think the WRU said that they would pay the Home regions for particpation so they didn't lose any money.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:08 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Dowlais, if the double-header had been arranged for the opening weekend of the season or for around Christmas time, I'd be much keener on it.

I understand you don't support any one region, so I'm sure it's great from your perspective; but we're losing out on a home game here.

Come on, you will probably pay the same for your home game as you would for two games here.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next