The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer signings

+2
theundisputedY2D2
LivinginItaly
6 posters

Go down

Summer signings Empty Summer signings

Post by LivinginItaly Sun 27 Mar 2011, 12:36 pm

What would you think about Liverpool signing Ashley Young and Scot Parker? Would they be useful additions to the squad, or an expensive waste? What are the chances of them coming? Would they fit in to the current formation/ tactics, or would these need to be changed accordingly?

If not these two players, then who would you suggest Liverpool should buy and who do you think we will actually buy?

In my opinion we need a left back (but don't know who) and a winger, but think that scott parker could help lucas in the centre of midfield.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Summer signings Empty Re: Summer signings

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 11:46 am

Of the two I'd rather have Ashley Young. As much as I rate Scott Parker I don't see where you could fit him, Lucas, Gerrard, Meireles and possibly a returning Aquilani into central midfield. I don't think Parker would come here to be a squad player.

I'd love it if we bought Young, he's what we're crying out for - a genuine wide man - but there are reports that he'd rather a move to Man Utd. I'm sorry to say that if it came down to a straight fight between us and them he'd choose them.

For left back there's been a lot of talk of Fabio Coentrao from Benfica and recently Davide Santon of Inter Milan in a possible swap deal with Alberto Aquilani. I'd prefer it if we could sign someone with a bit more Premier League experience (could the Clichy rumours be true?) but if I had to plump for one it'd be Coentrao.

I'd like to see us get another central defender, Gary Cahill would be first choice but either Roger Johnson or Scott Dann would be good signings too. I'd like another striker too, just to give us options up front, but again would you be able to get a proven goal scorer who'd be happy to be a squad player? Doubtful.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:10 pm

Cahill is a good player but he ain't worth £15-20m IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:28 pm

Agreed gaffer, I'd be looking to get him for about £12 million. But knowing the way the market is these days whoever wants him will probably have to pay closer to £25 million.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 01 Apr 2011, 11:12 am

Baines is certainly an option for LB. I read somewhere that Comoli has met Baines agent sometime this week so we must be considering a bid. There are obvious (huge) hurdles in the way of the transfer, but I think Baines is a Liverpool fan which may make it easier. 12 assists this season is it? Him and resign Insua and we'd be covered for LB.

If we got a new CB, a winger or 2 and maybe an extra CM so Lucas isn't burnt out playing every game I'll be a happy man.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 11 Apr 2011, 1:58 pm

New CB maybe Cahill but their is more value in the foreign market. New LB Baines would be a good signing but would Everton do buisness? their fans would go crazy if the board sold one of their best players to Liverpool. IMO Liverpool need wingers Young, Downing and Wright-Phillips 2 of that 3 would be good. Also like Jarvis at Wolves. Another Striker maybe a fox in the box type guy. Birmingham have Phillips who they can bring on when they are in need of a goal. I'm not saying Phillips but that type of player because Carroll, Suarez, Kuyt or N'Gog aren't that type of player.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 11 Apr 2011, 2:04 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Another Striker maybe a fox in the box type guy. Birmingham have Phillips who they can bring on when they are in need of a goal. I'm not saying Phillips but that type of player because Carroll, Suarez, Kuyt or N'Gog aren't that type of player.

Totally agree with this, we need someone who can come on and nick us a goal if we're chasing a game but who can also have a run of games if players are injured/suspended/out of form. The only trouble is as I stated before is where you're going to find a guaranteed goal scorer who can do all of the above but also be willing to sit on the bench for prolonged periods. Off the top of my head the only guy I can think of to fit the bill is (deep breath, don't slate me for this!) Michael Owen.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 11 Apr 2011, 5:43 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:Another Striker maybe a fox in the box type guy. Birmingham have Phillips who they can bring on when they are in need of a goal. I'm not saying Phillips but that type of player because Carroll, Suarez, Kuyt or N'Gog aren't that type of player.

Totally agree with this, we need someone who can come on and nick us a goal if we're chasing a game but who can also have a run of games if players are injured/suspended/out of form. The only trouble is as I stated before is where you're going to find a guaranteed goal scorer who can do all of the above but also be willing to sit on the bench for prolonged periods. Off the top of my head the only guy I can think of to fit the bill is (deep breath, don't slate me for this!) Michael Owen.

Can't believe you said that. IMO he's finished never fit was a let down at Newcastle and Man Utd. Van Nistelrooy but he would be a very big wage?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm

Don't get me wrong prettyboy, I'm not saying we should sign him but that he's the type of player we could do with getting. I think Van Nistelrooy would come with a hefty pay packet but he'd fit the bill. Should have gone for Raul when we had the chance!

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:02 pm

Van Nistlerooy is a top top shout, he would come with a big wage but wouldn't cost a transfer fee, he also comes with the know how to win Championships, Miroslav Klose is another, as for a winger, Adam Johnson, Stuart Dowling and N'Zogbia could be good signings

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:40 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:Don't get me wrong prettyboy, I'm not saying we should sign him but that he's the type of player we could do with getting. I think Van Nistelrooy would come with a hefty pay packet but he'd fit the bill. Should have gone for Raul when we had the chance!

I know what you meant mate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:44 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Van Nistlerooy is a top top shout, he would come with a big wage but wouldn't cost a transfer fee, he also comes with the know how to win Championships, Miroslav Klose is another, as for a winger, Adam Johnson, Stuart Dowling and N'Zogbia could be good signings

Klose is a great shout think he is available on a free at the end of the season.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 29 Apr 2011, 3:39 pm

Liverpool being linked with Lloris of Lyon. Good goalkeeper but could mean Reina is off which isn't good news. Apart from Arsenal and Man Utd don't see a move worthwhile for Pepe.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 05 May 2011, 2:20 pm

I more confident that Pepe will stay now, although I remember my mind wavering a million times a month on both Gerrard and Alonso when their rumours were flying about. Also, at this stage I don't see any reason for moving to Arsenal other than assured CL football next season.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 05 May 2011, 8:58 pm

TBH I don't see it happening. Arsenal won't spend the money required to get Pepe and don't see Man Utd coming in for him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Mon 23 May 2011, 6:38 pm

If we want a left back how about Izaguirre from Celtic or Enrique from Newcastle. Not sure about Van Nistelrooy seeing as he's 34 and would only be for a year or two. Cant see Reina going to Arsenal either as I think we will finish above them next season and qualify for Champions League. Think Kuyt could be a poacher if we get someone like Lennon to replace him on the right

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down