The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafa Is Just Too Pretty!

+10
lydian
time please
Josiah Maiestas
droogle
Tennisanorak
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
Tenez
laverfan
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
14 posters

Go down

Rafa Is Just Too Pretty! Empty Rafa Is Just Too Pretty!

Post by hawkeye Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

Top tennis players are not usually known for their looks. The top bunch at the moment are no exeception... apart from Nadal. Being good looking has enabled him to earn quite a bit of sponsership money on the side but maybe it has come at a cost? This is the view of a couple of regular posters here on 606v2

"Nadal fans are mostly people who are casual watcher of tennis. They watch tennis for the drama it can produce. They mostly have not much understanding of the game to actually get into any debate/discussion."

"I even think the vast majority of those are women who fancy Nadal but
woudl not bother to join a tennis forum to discuss tennis matter but would prefer to communicate with him by FB. On teh other hand, I am a big fan of tennis and like Federer's game (and certainly don't mind his personality) but I woudl never try to be friend with him on FB...and I am pretty sure many tennis fans are the same."

These are interesting views. Nadal is one of the best tennis players ever and yet some find it difficult to see past his looks. That he could be appreciated fo his game is for some questionable despite him winning 10 slams at the age of 25. Is a good looking male sports star problematic? To admit to being a fan of of a good looking player could lead to being accused of being a fan for the wrong reasons. Heaven forbid anyone suspecting you would "try to be friend with him on FB"...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Rafa Is Just Too Pretty! Empty Re: Rafa Is Just Too Pretty!

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:47 pm

David Sylvian.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:53 pm

Pancho Gonzalez, the 'original' Tall, Dark and Handsome, Tennis dude. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:01 pm

BUt HE, isn't it you who were talking about Nadal's legs the other day?

And no-one held it against you as far as I remember.

I have no problem with that. You can like or love him for whatever you like. Power, drama, you name it.

I do think that a great proportion of his fans are women and girls. I have been to 3 or 4 matches of his live and it's simply an evidence.

It's not my fault you fit perfectly what I describe in my "quote". Looks like I am on something. YOu shoudl not feel ashamed of it so I am not sure what's your point.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:02 pm

I didn't say anything ( in the last post nor ever IIRC) about Nadal's looks. How did you assume that I was talking about Nadal's looks?
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm

Tenez wrote:BUt HE, isn't it you who were talking about Nadal's legs the other day?

And no-one held it against you as far as I remember.

I have no problem with that. You can like or love him for whatever you like. Power, drama, you name it.

I do think that a great proportion of his fans are women and girls. I have been to 3 or 4 matches of his live and it's simply an evidence.

It's not my fault you fit perfectly what I describe in my "quote". Looks like I am on something. YOu shoudl not feel ashamed of it so I am not sure what's your point.

Ha ha! I was talking to noleisthebest as she is interested in that subject.

As far as Nadals looks go I do think its relevant because so many (yourself included) make comments about it. I can understand why some shy away from discussing why some people like or dislike players because to do so would invite comments like yours. I like to think that I am brave... I also like to think I am not that shallow... And I also like to think I know a little about tennis. But mostly I find the subject interesting.

Tenez. Why do you spend ages on here defending Federer? You yourself have said it's because you perceive him to be "good". What does that mean? How do you know?

raiders

Your comment just lead to the second one..

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:27 pm

I don;t defend Federer. Do I need to?

Unlike you I don't attack (Murray for instance) and defend (Nadal) players.

I describe their relative games and I believe it's the pertinence of the observation that rattles some fans.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tennisanorak Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:05 pm

I think the real issue is that many people here do not like Rafa's style of playing tennis. Everything else is peripheral. If he played more aggressively and stylishly, the admiration would follow. We are fans of the players' playing styles, not the players themselves. Tipsy is a bit of an intellectual, for eg, but do you find people here writing posts on that? No, they don't because they find his game relatively uninspiring.

Tennisanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

Nadal isn't particularly good-looking, judged in relation to typical aesthetic criteria. Narrow shoulders, . . . actually, it'd be too weird to elaborate further. Anyhow, he's muscled but that's about it. So the premise of the argument is false.
I'm surprised by how popular Richard Gasquet is with female viewers in terms of looks.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:31 pm

droogle wrote:Nadal isn't particularly good-looking, judged in relation to typical aesthetic criteria. Narrow shoulders, . . . actually, it'd be too weird to elaborate further....

Now you are really getting controversial! Laugh

I actually completely agree with his falling shoulders, big legs etc..

However teh contrast between his macho look and his gracious smile is what I believe cracks them up.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:39 pm

If I was a woman then i'd go for David Ferrer over spinach gobbling popeye boy.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:43 pm

Not controversial. Ideal body shape (comic book style 'heroic male) is not far from Federer, just that he seems to have tendons and mild flab on top rather than muscle. If Rafa lost his muscle (the deltoids broaden the shoulders) he'd be left with a rather feminine outline.
If you combined Rafa's musculature with Federer's bone structure and James Blake's hollywood visage, then that'd be something that would no doubt (almost) merit dubious designer underpants advertising campaigns.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

Tennisanorak wrote:I think the real issue is that many people here do not like Rafa's style of playing tennis. Everything else is peripheral. If he played more aggressively and stylishly, the admiration would follow. We are fans of the players' playing styles, not the players themselves. Tipsy is a bit of an intellectual, for eg, but do you find people here writing posts on that? No, they don't because they find his game relatively uninspiring.

That would mean more competition for Federer, if he played stylishly and aggressively. The Fedal debates would become even worse with clones of each other. At least the differences allow bashing from different quarters of the tennis community. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:55 pm

He is not a patch on Deliciano!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

Aye, I thought the women preferred Tabasco also?
Looking at the most recent pics of Nadal (whilst in Dominican Republic pre-IW) he looks slimmer than ever actually...I think the falling shoulder look thing is also due to his traps. But hey...surely he and Federer knock Radek "The Turbot" Stepanek into touch..?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

I would never call a man pretty...it's effeminising, just like chest-waxing Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:15 pm

droogle wrote:Nadal isn't particularly good-looking, judged in relation to typical aesthetic criteria. Narrow shoulders, . . . actually, it'd be too weird to elaborate further. Anyhow, he's muscled but that's about it. So the premise of the argument is false.
I'm surprised by how popular Richard Gasquet is with female viewers in terms of looks.

I think the judgement is in relation to other tennis players. Nadal is the player that gets the most sponsorship work that is based on looks. He has been "teased" here because of it. It's certainly viewed in a different way to other less looks based sponsor work that is done by other players. Is it really different? If so why?

It is Nadal or rather Nadals fans who are accused of being fans because of his looks. Is this true? I wasn't the one doing the accusing. Do you think Gasquet has fans that like him for his looks first and tennis skills second.

What about the more general question about good looking male sports stars. Unless they are particuarly macho does it make it more difficult for a male to be a "fan". People might get the wrong idea. Also female sports fans might not want to be seen or see themselves as that shallow.

time please

Ha ha! That's very brave if you really mean that about "Deliciano" because he doesn't come close to Rafa in tennis skills.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:18 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I would never call a man pretty...it's effeminising, just like chest-waxing Rafa Is Just Too Pretty! 810156456

We can't have that now can we?

Are good looking men seen as more feminine? If so would that be a problem for a sports star?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:20 pm

hawkeye wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I would never call a man pretty...it's effeminising, just like chest-waxing Rafa Is Just Too Pretty! 810156456

Are good looking men seen as more feminine? If so would that be a problem for a sports star?

Hawky,

if I tell you that I find Nadal's tennis more attractive than his looks, I think we'll come to mutual understanding that there's no debate on this topic twixt you and me...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

I think his marketability is more to do with his style (a sort of Tom Cruise-ish yeehah, kick-ass, adrenaline-pumped-ness) than prettiness.

Personally I think Federer deserves to be stripped of at least one GS title for his horrific Lindt chocolate advert. . . as bad as all the ridiculous christmas perfume ads that every single hollywood actress was doing. But then all advertising is inherently crass and nasty.

Tennis player. . . Swiss tennis player.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:25 pm

I would think from a woman's perspective there are a few cuter guys in Spain tennis than Nadal...but hey who is a guy to judge this type of stuff! (he says withdrawing from the discussion rapidly)

But then NITB, lol, there are those that would ask you if you thought Djokovic looks like Screech out of "Saved by the Bell"?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:27 pm

droogle wrote:Personally I think Federer deserves to be stripped of at least one GS title for his horrific Lindt chocolate advert.

And another 2-3 for this cringeworthy moment.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1pGU6xjMjk
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:31 pm

lydian wrote:I would think from a woman's perspective there are a few cuter guys in Spain tennis than Nadal...but hey who is a guy to judge this type of stuff! (he says withdrawing from the discussion rapidly)

But then NITB, lol, there are those that would ask you if you thought Djokovic looks like Screech out of "Saved by the Bell"?

Lydian,

I don't know who Screech is, but believe you that he looks like him.

I rarely find a player to be a complete package Wink

Last edited by noleisthebest on Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:32 pm

lydian wrote:Aye, I thought the women preferred Tabasco also?
Looking at the most recent pics of Nadal (whilst in Dominican Republic pre-IW) he looks slimmer than ever actually...I think the falling shoulder look thing is also due to his traps. But hey...surely he and Federer knock Radek "The Turbot" Stepanek into touch..?

Fiasco just doesn't do it for me either Lydian - I am sure he is a wonderful catch etc, etc but there is something a little 'simian' in his appearance for moi!! (am I allowed to say that??) Yes poor old Radnek is not, on first sight, love's young dream Wink

No, it is Deliciano by a country mile though I do agree with another poster that there is something about Reeshard and about Fed too - confidence and cosmopolitan nous in the latter case, in Djokovic's too. Rafa is just too boyish despite all the macho stuff, and there is something a little emasculating about Uncle Toni's presence!!! Wink Very Happy

OMG - as I could well be (a young) mother of all these men there is something a little disturbing about my post - don't worry boys, I'm not the stalker in the third row!! Laugh

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:37 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

Hawky,

if I tell you that I find Nadal's tennis more attractive than his looks, I think we'll come to mutual understanding that there's no debate on this topic twixt you and me...

IMO one of the reason's your so disturbed by Nadal is because he isn't as "macho" as you think a sports star should be. That has something to do with looks but also his image and personality. Maybe as you say that fuels your dislike more than his playing style (not that you "like" his playing style of course...)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:37 pm

noleisthebest wrote: Lydian,

This link is quite amusing.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLqDrCW2fw
Its got Screech/Djokovic in around 1min 13ish secs.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:39 pm

time please wrote:

Fiasco just doesn't do it for me either Lydian - I am sure he is a wonderful catch etc, etc but there is something a little 'simian' in his appearance for moi!! (am I allowed to say that??) Yes poor old Radnek is not, on first sight, love's young dream Wink

No, it is Deliciano by a country mile though I do agree with another poster that there is something about Reeshard and about Fed too - confidence and cosmopolitan nous in the latter case, in Djokovic's too. Rafa is just too boyish despite all the macho stuff, and there is something a little emasculating about Uncle Toni's presence!!! Wink Very Happy

OMG - as I could well be (a young) mother of all these men there is something a little disturbing about my post - don't worry boys, I'm not the stalker in the third row!! Rafa Is Just Too Pretty! 810156456

time please... I didn't know you are a girl!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:44 pm

time please wrote: Fiasco just doesn't do it for me either Lydian - I am sure he is a wonderful catch etc, etc but there is something a little 'simian' in his appearance for moi!! (am I allowed to say that??) Yes poor old Radnek is not, on first sight, love's young dream Wink

OMG - as I could well be (a young) mother of all these men there is something a little disturbing about my post - don't worry boys, I'm not the stalker in the third row!! Laugh

Simian...lol, a little too primitive for you hey? I know what you mean, I get the impression with him there's not too much going on behind the eyes but I meay be doing the guy a disservice, pardon the pun.
I think Federer would likely be a whole better looking if not for his nose and mouth shape when smiling...and the similarity with Quentin Tarantino isnt too far fetched! (sorry for putting that one in your mind!). Reeshard to me seems to have really sloping shoulders...but then at least he's not Max Mirnyi with his ridiculously straight/broad shoulders - looks like he has a plank across them.
I could certainly be the father of some of them too...v.young admittedly! But for Federer I'd be "Breaking the Law" as Judas Priest sang, lol.

Last edited by lydian on Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:45 pm

lydian wrote:
noleisthebest wrote: Lydian,

This link is quite amusing.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLqDrCW2fw
Its got Screech/Djokovic in around 1min 13ish secs.

Poor Nole....I much prefer him compared to young de Niro Cool http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HItZhJTrAEM/ThC2xK95MrI/AAAAAAAADDs/TA4Pksp0DXY/s640/you+servin+at+me%253F.jpg

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:46 pm

yes, well that is really flattering I am more of a madame (no, not that kind of one Shocked ) than a mademoiselle!

Oi fort u knew!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

Similar stubble NITB and dark hair, but I think its stretching it a little after that! Still, both are charismatic - and I can imagine Nole saying in an Italian American accent "Hey! You lookin' at me?!".
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:57 pm

lydian wrote:
time please wrote: Fiasco just doesn't do it for me either Lydian - I am sure he is a wonderful catch etc, etc but there is something a little 'simian' in his appearance for moi!! (am I allowed to say that??) Yes poor old Radnek is not, on first sight, love's young dream Wink

Simian...lol, a little too primitive for you hey? I know what you mean, I get the impression with him there's not too much going on behind the eyes but I meay be doing the guy a disservice, pardon the pun.
I think Federer would likely be a whole better looking if not for his nose and mouth shape when smiling...and the similarity with Quentin Tarantino isnt too far fetched! (sorry for putting that one in your mind!). Reeshard to me seems to have really sloping shoulders...but then at least he's not Max Mirnyi with his ridiculously straight/broad shoulders - looks like he has a plank across them.
I could certainly be the father of some of them too...v.young admittedly! But for Federer I'd be "Breaking the Law" as Judas Priest sang, lol.

Fiasco definitely too primitive for moi! Fed is what the French call jolie laide (according to my grandmother) - the individual bits aren't all so great but I think it is confidence, sophistication etc, etc - think Gerard Depardieu (of whatever his name is) - anyway the latter is rumbled (not like TMF) and has a nose like a particularly unsightly potato - but there is something very seductive about him and he is a much more suitable age for moi.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:05 pm

time please wrote:

Nothing wrong with an experienced older woman to show them the ropes timeplease. Think The graduate. I love cougars, although I am probably at 35 too old for them by now! lol!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:07 pm

PS Lol on simian verdasco, I always wondered how anyone found him attractive at least facially speaking.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:08 pm

Anyone for Delpo?

http://mypoliticalexile.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/juan_martin_del_potro_03.jpg?w=500

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:12 pm

Mullet FTW!
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:25 pm

Tesco in his more "sophisticated" days Laugh

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/Sl3kB4nCbHI/AAAAAAAAJ3U/L2qP4nQjhTU/s400/verdasco.jpg

and one just for Socal

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2612/4196917256_fa5b6fc4e5_o.jpg

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:27 pm

what a lot of dirty gals on here! steam
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:29 pm

polished_man wrote:what a lot of dirty gals on here! steam

Yes. I'm hoping to arrange a big get-together.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:54 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

You naughty boy. devil

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 08 Mar 2012, 8:43 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Is this "big" enough for you Laugh

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IhHMW30q0ME/Tb8aYkQ3tRI/AAAAAAAAAcY/0Gq7aM2E4GY/s1600/fat-women-bbw-singles.jpg

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 08 Mar 2012, 8:45 pm

I would go for Kournikova myself but there's no accounting for taste.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:25 am

socal1976 wrote:
time please wrote:

Nothing wrong with an experienced older woman to show them the ropes timeplease. Think The graduate. I love cougars, although I am probably at 35 too old for them by now! lol!

lol socal! I am doing my best to smoulder a la Anne Bancroft while making my coffee and toast - the dog thinks I have lost the plot laughing

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:19 am

time please wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
time please wrote:

lol socal! I am doing my best to smoulder a la Anne Bancroft while making my coffee and toast - the dog thinks I have lost the plot laughing

Lose those dogs asap TP, then!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Lose those dogs asap TP, then!

Not my beloved - he's non-negotiable, as they say laughing

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down