The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Ireland backrow better balanced now?

+26
Triangulation
IanBru
SecretFly
clivemcl
neilthom7
geoff998rugby
Feckless Rogue
Knowsit17
Rory_Gallagher
Standulstermen
dublin_dave
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
gowales
Red Right
RuggerRadge2611
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
eirebilly
George Carlin
MMC
JLyall
Pot Hale
The Great Aukster
hugo124
sensisball
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is the Ireland backrow better balanced now? - Page 2 Empty Is the Ireland backrow better balanced now?

Post by sensisball Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seems strange one to ask given what an outstanding player SOB is but, does Peter O Mahoney make the irish back row better balanced?
I know he is not a "natural" seven but seems to play closer to the contact in defence than SOB, doing the unseen work that makes all the difference in slowing / turning opposition ball.

Also, there is now a genuine 7 in Jennings is on the bench if required.

As a scotsman i feel even worse about this match than i did already. if ireland get scrum dominance, as i suspect they will reasonably early on, and their lineout wins its fair share then i think the back row will give us a really hard time. Reddan should feed Sexton better ball and the Irish backs may at last be able to cut loose.

Any thoughts?

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Is the Ireland backrow better balanced now? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ireland backrow better balanced now?

Post by neilthom7 Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 pm

No need for a treasure hunt guys i've found our backs cutting edge, he lives up north is called wallace and apparently resides permanently in Kidneys blindspot Whistle

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Is the Ireland backrow better balanced now? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ireland backrow better balanced now?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:09 pm

neilthom7 wrote:No need for a treasure hunt guys i've found our backs cutting edge, he lives up north is called wallace and apparently resides permanently in Kidneys blindspot Whistle

Ulster fanboy Wink

Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:22 pm

I thought Ireland were currently over their quota of 'token' Ulster players? Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Laugh

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 pm

haha yeah I know I think it must be new EU regulations or something theres 4 in the starting team at the moment, if you include Bowe off course. That must be a record I think David Humphreys has threatened Kidney maybe lol Smile

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:15 pm

I think the more Ulster guys the better. They should replace all of the Munster guys.

Whistle
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:My evidence for POM given away more penalties is watching Munster all year. He gives away far too many.

har har....in a court of law that constitutes hearsay and is inadmissable. But this is an opinions forum afterall and while you are entitled to your opinion the lack of any backup fact or even attempt at some evidence = dustbin of opinionated claptrap.....

what we need are more connacht players....it is clear the players of Leinster, Munster and Ulster cannot make the move up to international level and would rather be playing in the HC from the way they play...insipid and with so many errors...even the most supreme coaching being would struggle with this lot...

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:28 pm

MMC wrote:I think the more Ulster guys the better. They should replace all of the Munster guys.

Whistle

+ 1
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:28 pm

oh thats a big call MMC i'm going to say no on that one, I don't want to be set upon by sin etc when I head to thomond in a few weeks Very Happy

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:51 pm

newbie wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:My evidence for POM given away more penalties is watching Munster all year. He gives away far too many.

har har....in a court of law that constitutes hearsay and is inadmissable. But this is an opinions forum afterall and while you are entitled to your opinion the lack of any backup fact or even attempt at some evidence = dustbin of opinionated claptrap.....

what we need are more connacht players....it is clear the players of Leinster, Munster and Ulster cannot make the move up to international level and would rather be playing in the HC from the way they play...insipid and with so many errors...even the most supreme coaching being would struggle with this lot...

Well, I am sure your evidence that Henry isn't as good a 7 as POM is also based on what your own eyes have seen Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:54 pm

When Ulster win this years HEC, I think the entire team should be picked based on the Ulster starting XV. From there, our NIQs can be substituted for players of less quality but still good:

Court - Best - Ross
Tuohy - O'Connell
Ferris - Henry - SOB

Marshall - Sexton
Wallace - Cave/Spence
Trimble - Kearney - Bowe

You heard it here folks Wink this should be the new irish team.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

If any Munster fans are watching this and going to the match in a few weeks I do not know rory please don't hurt me, but i do agree with him Run

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Don't agree with that Rory..... IHumph should be 10 as well..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Could be time to go to a safehouse rodders, ill meet you there lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:31 pm

here here here... adam darcy is a country mile better than that lad Kearney! Run

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:46 pm

MMC wrote:I think the more Ulster guys the better. They should replace all of the Munster guys.

Whistle

Sweet Jaysus Mary and Joeseph... You're barred from this forum Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Ireland should be a rotation squad.

NO! No, you're rushing ahead of me - wait for it.

A rotation squad. Meaning Leinster plays France and Wales, Munster play Scotland, Ulster play England, and Connacht play Italy.

Players know each other, know their systems, know their own Provincial subs will be coming on so they don't have to try to make each other look bad!!!!!!!!! Whistle ......... and what else? Oh yeah...the Provincal coaches also rotate through the Irish squad with their Provincial players.

All the Ayes? All the Nos? The Ayes have it. It's carried Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:59 pm

eirebilly wrote:

Whistle

Sweet Jaysus Mary and Joeseph... You're barred from this forum Wink

Hug

MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Shame that O'Brien is out - I was looking forward to Ireland playing two 6's against Scotland's two 7's...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:04 pm

That's a great idea Fly.

Can I make a joke about Ulster missing their foreign contingent? (People in glass houses... Smile)?

In all seriousness though, I think that under David Humphries guidance Ulster are fast becoming the team to watch in Europe. Some of the signings, including that of Anscombe as coach, and Tommy of course, have been excellent.

I love watching them play. So long as it's not against us. boxing
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Two sides at 6s and 7s ?

No, I'd prefer a good game

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Don't mention 6's and 7's when Rory's around.... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:13 pm

MMC wrote:That's a great idea Fly.

Can I make a joke about Ulster missing their foreign contingent? (People in glass houses... Smile)?

In all seriousness though, I think that under David Humphries guidance Ulster are fast becoming the team to watch in Europe. Some of the signings, including that of Anscombe as coach, and Tommy of course, have been excellent.

I love watching them play. So long as it's not against us. boxing

I agree. I'm looking forward to what Anscombe brings to them. I think on the proverbial paper sheet they have lots of promise now. But that's good for all. I think Munster might have to delay.............. Foley as head. I think Anscombe and Tommy have just rewritten the future of Irish rugby. It will be exciting for all of us if Munster now choose very wisely.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:19 pm

maybe but scotland gonna have you! Yahoo

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Lets not get too carried away chaps. Ulster are looking good for the next few seasons but we are still reliant on 5 or 6 top players of which 2 are saffer, 1(2) is a kiwi and 1 has dodgy knees. I can't imagine we'll be able to sustain the quality of these overseas signings.

I want to see a sustained and strong Ulster now, no more (few) peaks and (many) troughs so we desperately need the Spences, Marshalls, McCallistars, Jacksons, Gilroys, Cochranes etc. to make the grade and make us a force for the next decade.

Theres a long ways to go.. even if we win the HEC this year.... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Triangulation wrote:maybe but scotland gonna have you! Yahoo

That's an awful affront Tri...and us having to be for you on Sunday if we want to have a chance of getting into 2nd. I might change allegiances now and cheer for France, which would ensure our best could only be third.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Triangulation wrote:maybe but scotland gonna have you! Yahoo

Sure we all know the England game is the one that matters Tri Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 pm

The only balance on this forum is the whineing from all the armchair rugby coaches..each and everyone an expert in the field...

If only there was a competition for you..we would be world champions

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Reclining Armchair Rugby Coach if you please!!! I got style.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Optimist Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:46 pm

To the original question... after todays performance.. Yes! could be further improved by replacing Heaslip with O Brien against England.

I'm Optimist

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:56 pm

thanks Optimistic
glad someone got the post back on topic!
i thought he put in great shift today, very direct runner with ball and slowed or turned more than his fair share.

From a scottish perpective front and back rows went as i expected, ie. in favour of the men in green. Was very impressed with Ryan, thought he might find middle jumping a real challenge but, he took it all in his stride.

Well done and all the best for next weekend.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:56 pm

I thought POM did a good job today actually.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:13 pm

I'd like to see a backrow of

6. Ferris
7. POM
8. SOB

I want to see SOB running with the ball more than he can at 7. It's his best attribute. SOB could be lethal at number 8. Why not try it against England? If SOB's fit.

I also think Heaslip needs to be dropped. His position at Leinster, Ireland and even the Lions has never been under threat. I think he expects to be a future Ireland captain. I think he's coasting along, not playing really poorly, but not at his best either. He needs a kick up the behind. I think the idea he could lose his place in the team permanently to SOB will make him step up a gear.

I think the greater rotation Schmidt has brought to Leinster has been a good thing. Even in big Heineken Cup games, squad players are being selected, and it's keeping everyone on their toes and hungry. Having a large number of players you know you can call on to perform also gives you more tactical flexibility.

I think Ireland have enough depth in quality in most positions to experiment a little, without seeing a drop in quality. Particularly in the backrow.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:51 pm

The thing is I don't think ball carrying is what SOB is best at anymore. He has been found out in that regard.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I'd like to see a backrow of

6. Ferris
7. POM
8. SOB

This is the backrow everyone wants to see. Heaslip has to be dropped. Ferris and SOB 6 and 8 would be outstanding.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:05 pm

The decison should be SOB or Heaslip at 8 we had much better balance yesterday.

Don't think Kidney will retain POM though

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2