The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Mercy...

+2
doctornickolas
MajorRoadWorks
6 posters

Go down

No Mercy... Empty No Mercy...

Post by MajorRoadWorks Fri 9 Mar - 21:43

Wales MUST put Italy to the sword....

I've been looking at the current table and points difference.

I know these are assumptions, but if...

Wales only beat Italy by a UNconverted try (5 points) and England beat France by a converted try (7 points)..

then next week

France beat Wales by a converted try (7 points) and England beat Ireland by a converted try (7 points)...

the end result will be England top the 6 Nations with Wales finishing 2nd on points difference.

Now I know this is all ifs and buts, but we have to realise that in the past we seem to play to the quality of the opposition. By that I mean we do enough to beat teams we are expected to do, but we don't put them to the sword like others (eg All Blacks, SpringBoks). The scenarios I painted above are realistic, only 1 score games, but I think they do illustrate that the 6 Nations is no way a foregone conclusion as some suggest.

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

No Mercy... Empty Re: No Mercy...

Post by doctornickolas Fri 9 Mar - 21:49

With you all the way on this one.

In previous 6 nations we have come 4th (joint 2nd) purely on points difference because we were not clinical enough.

Ireland had a 28 point margin against Italy and I think we need to be looking at doing something similar ........ then we just need to beat France!!!

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 9 Mar - 21:51

I agree and it is the same sentiment the Welsh camp are offering... Wales have to take advantage of teams ranked lower than them as much as they have to beat teams ranked above.

Lets hope they have their heads screwed on, their is certainly the talent in the squad to give Italy a pasting.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 9 Mar - 21:52

I'll take a 1 point win V Italy and a 1point win V France over smashing Italy by 50 and losing the French game!

But you are right, we NEED to put in a performance of attacking display to worry the french into rethinking a game plan based around our threat rather than us playing to what France have to offer as I think England are doing!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 9 Mar - 21:53

I don't think you need to worry about that. Wales will know and will want to put Italy under the cosh.

You'll see a highly motivated Welsh team.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Fri 9 Mar - 23:41

MajorRoadWorks wrote:Wales MUST put Italy to the sword....

I've been looking at the current table and points difference.

I know these are assumptions, but if...

Wales only beat Italy by a UNconverted try (5 points) and England beat France by a converted try (7 points)..

then next week

France beat Wales by a converted try (7 points) and England beat Ireland by a converted try (7 points)...

the end result will be England top the 6 Nations with Wales finishing 2nd on points difference.

Now I know this is all ifs and buts, but we have to realise that in the past we seem to play to the quality of the opposition. By that I mean we do enough to beat teams we are expected to do, but we don't put them to the sword like others (eg All Blacks, SpringBoks). The scenarios I painted above are realistic, only 1 score games, but I think they do illustrate that the 6 Nations is no way a foregone conclusion as some suggest.

Have to be honest, hadn't realised it was that finely balanced Shocked

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down