The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Youngsters commit to Scottish pro-districts

+3
eirebilly
doctornickolas
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
7 posters

Go down

Youngsters commit to Scottish pro-districts Empty Youngsters commit to Scottish pro-districts

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:48 am

Good news for both Glasgow and Edinbrugh, with more youngsters committing their near-term futures to the two pro-sides.

First up Edinburgh, where fullback/winger Tom Brown and highly promising lock Grant Gilchrist have both signed extensions to 2014: Brown & Gilchrist

Likewise over in the west, Glasgow have been doing similar business, again out to 2014 with loosehead prop Gordon Reid and highly thought of hooker Finlay Gillies: Reid & Gillies

More encouraging signs for the game north of the border, plenty of faith being placed in the current crop of youngsters

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Youngsters commit to Scottish pro-districts Empty Re: Youngsters commit to Scottish pro-districts

Post by doctornickolas Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:52 am

And I think that is absolutely the right way to go about it.

With only 2 sides Scotland should not have any foreign players playing for either. Inevitably, some players will go to France or England, as is happening with Wales right now, but I think Glasgow and Edinburgh need to concentrate on a production line of young talent

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Youngsters commit to Scottish pro-districts Empty Re: Youngsters commit to Scottish pro-districts

Post by eirebilly Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:40 pm

Grant Gilchrist is a great young player so thats a big one for Glasgow. Player retention in Scotland is so important right now i feel.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:30 pm

OK Nice to see the front row being prioritised.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 11 Mar 2012, 8:32 pm

Its also good to see good local lads come through and not from the usual fee paying school route too - ie at the Warriors Richie Gray, Duncan Weir, Jon Welsh, Rob Harley. All should have been involved yesterday in Dublin but due to our national coaches blinkered selection strategy (???!!!!) only Gray made it and what a game he had - he was the only one! The imminent arrival of Townsend will no doubt screw this up.
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:09 am

Er... Ritchie Gray went to Kelvinside Academy, which last time i checked, is a fee paying school.

Fors some reason his younger brother Jonny (playing with the U20's) went to a state school, cant remember the name.
Spot on with the others, also Chris Fusaro and Peter Horne ( mostly drawn from Bell Baxter) were part of the excellent Howe of Fife U 16 Scottish cup winning team from a few years back

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 16 Mar 2012, 8:46 am

Confirmation that Embra have signed Georgian no.8 Dimitri Basilaia and Welsh prop John Yapp, plus extended contracts for scrumhalves Alex Black and Chris Leck in today's Hootsmon:

EDINBURGH have signed one of Georgia’s World Cup stars and a former Wales prop as they follow Glasgow in strengthening their pack for next season.

Michael Bradley had a spell working with Richie Dixon at Georgia before he took over as the Edinburgh coach last year, and The Scotsman can reveal that he has returned to the up-and-coming nation to snap up No 8 Dimitri Basilaia, who played in three of Georgia’s four World Cup matches, including the tight affair with Scotland, and scored a try in another fine showing against England.

The 26-year-old currently plays for Valence d’Agen, in Fédérale 1, the league just below the two professional divisions in France, and a skilful 6ft 4in, 17-stone ball-carrier would become the first Georgian to play in the RaboDirect Pro12.

Bradley is also understood to have agreed terms with John Yapp, the 6ft 2in Cardiff prop who has won 21 caps for Wales. The 28-year-old weighs in at over 19 stone and while he forged a great early career as a loosehead prop – he made his debut for Cardiff at just 18 and earned his first cap in Wales’ Grand Slam season of 2005 at just 21 – he has also switched to the tighthead in recent years and so will offer Edinburgh versatility and new strength in depth across the front row.

Bradley has already announced the signing of South African tighthead WP Nel, who will join in the summer from Free State Cheetahs, as will Northampton back Greig Tonks, with Argentinian prop Ulises Gamboa joining compatriot Esteban Lozada in leaving this summer, the big lock believed to be heading back to France after joining from Toulon in 2010.

Glasgow coach Sean Lineen was quick off the mark when given extra funding and support from SRU chief executive Mark Dodson and Graham Lowe, the director of performance rugby. However, Bradley insisted at the turn of the year that he would also be bringing new players to the club, to help strengthen the squad particularly when the internationalists were with Scotland, and to help to develop young players.

Edinburgh yesterday took the number of players re-signed in recent months to 17 with scrum-halves Chris Leck and Alex Black agreeing new two-year deals through to 2014. The pair have been rewarded for their hard work largely behind the scenes since arriving among Bradley’s first signings last summer.

Leck came north with lock Sean Cox from Sale while Black was signed from Leeds Carnegie, all on one-year deals, but despite struggling for game-time ahead of internationalists Greig Laidlaw and Mike Blair, Leck and Black have still managed to impress the head coach, and have re-signed along with Cox.

“Both players have worked very hard this year,” Bradley said. “They have been extremely professional and patient for their chances to play and have performed well when those opportunities have come their way.

“Their work ethic and level of professionalism has been exceptional and they deserve this chance to further their careers at the club. We’re delighted that they’re staying on.”

Leck, a former England U18 cap and the son of Hawick coach Phil, has made 11 appearances for the club this season. He said: “Coming to Edinburgh was a very exciting prospect for me with a fresh challenge to work hard, get as many games as I could and prove my worth.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm

I can understand wanting to re-enforce the front row but instead of going for Japp why not try Shiels a younger SCOTTISH prospect? What with Japp, Jacobson, Cross and the new South African I think any up and coming prop is going to find it hard to get much game time at Edinburgh next year, though it may wake a few up and realize that they need to raise their performances if they want to stay.

As for the Georgian No 8 all I can ask is why?? With Denton Talei and McInally why do they need a new No 8? Would it not be better to spend the money on a 2nd row with Lozada leaving or some more depth on the wings seeing as it looks likely that Jones and Visser will be away for large parts of next season and Webster leaving?

They just seem like strange appointments to me and with only 2 Scottish clubs I would like to see as many Scots involved as possible.

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:07 pm

SGD prop wrote:I can understand wanting to re-enforce the front row but instead of going for Japp why not try Shiels a younger SCOTTISH prospect? What with Japp, Jacobson, Cross and the new South African I think any up and coming prop is going to find it hard to get much game time at Edinburgh next year, though it may wake a few up and realize that they need to raise their performances if they want to stay.

As for the Georgian No 8 all I can ask is why?? With Denton Talei and McInally why do they need a new No 8? Would it not be better to spend the money on a 2nd row with Lozada leaving or some more depth on the wings seeing as it looks likely that Jones and Visser will be away for large parts of next season and Webster leaving?

They just seem like strange appointments to me and with only 2 Scottish clubs I would like to see as many Scots involved as possible.
Agreed, this is plain bizarre as it effectively leaves just 3 locks in Gilchrist, Cox and Turnbull - I wish the last would start delivering on his promise, he's 24 now and he should be pushing the likes of Gilchrist and Gray

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:53 am

Agree - this is like last season where they signed every centre known to the Northern Hemisphere without buying a decent engine room.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:58 am

I thought McAlpine didn't look horrible or totally out of his depth when Edinburgh borrowed him from Ayr for the Ulster game - maybe he should make the switch from Glasgow EDP to Edinburgh EDP?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:39 am

That would make sense.

SO IT PROBABLY WONT HAPPEN

Either that or is there any other young options available like young Gray?
Thinking about it though with Gray senior moving on and Kelloch not getting any younger maybe they will want to keep hold of the young players they have coming through.

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:56 am

SGD, there's a lad called Nick Campbell who is meant to be the real deal, still only 21 yrs old, 6'7" tall, 118kg, and with plenty of aggression. Then there's Callum Templeton, but he is more in the Rob Harley moud, and of course Tim Swinson joining from the Falcons has only just turned 25, so he's still young for a lock

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Sat 17 Mar 2012, 9:03 am

Thanks for that !!
Good to see that there are some young prospects out there and I would prefer the Scots boys to get a shot first. Although we are strong in the 2nd row department right now with an injury or 2 and we could be struggling.

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down